is "GoodRX" legit?

Gil Bang

So, I need a prescription that isn't covered by my insurance. 

I looked online and something called "Good RX" says I can print the coupon, take it to the pharmacy, and get the shit i need super cheap.  Reviews online seem good.

I tried calling the pharmacy and nobody's answering the phone there. 

• Like 1

So, I need a prescription that isn't covered by my insurance. 
I looked online and something called "Good RX" says I can print the coupon, take it to the pharmacy, and get the shit i need super cheap.  Reviews online seem good.
I tried calling the pharmacy and nobody's answering the phone there. 

Yes. Legit and great. Just show up with the app on your phone and they’ll scan the code.
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I have some friends that work in a pharmacy that hate it but I use it when I can. Need to ask them why they hate it 

There’s some voodoo shit going on there.  It sometimes doesn’t work as well.  Couple of years ago it knocked down by a couple hundred bucks.  A couple of months ago it was cheaper to use my insurance.  Run it both ways  and see what’s cheaper.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-prescription-discount-coupon-plans-like-GoodRx-work

This explains it fairly well, too.

What GoodRx does is gain access to the rates negotiated by insurance companies with pharmacies through middlemen known as “Pharmacy Benefit Managers” Bear with me a moment as pharmaceutical pricing is Byzantine in complexity and Kafkaesque in absurdity and opacity.

Your pharmacy purchases medication from a wholesale distributor, such as Mc Kessen, at a certain price, which is the “ Acquisition Price” . This price is then dramatically increased to the public “ rack rate- nobody really pays that “ price. The “Pharmacy Benefit Managers” negotiate a discount from that wildly inflated price for an insurance company which applies to all medications , usually 70–90%. This can lead to some bizarre pricing issues depending on the Acquisition Price the pharmacy has.

If your eyes have not glazed over yet, the contracts the insurance companies have also allow for that discount to be given to cash paying customers, as if the cash price for a medication is lower than the insurance co-pay, the insurance company pays nothing, which they like, and the difference between the cash price, say $4 for a generic medication and the co- pay of say, $20, gets kicked back to the Pharmacy Benefit Manager-

You don’t know about any of this unless you specifically ask the pharmacist if the cash price is lower. So for some patients on 4–5 generic medications the difference between the $16/month they are paying and the $100/month co-pay gets skimmed of by the middleman. Particularly for the elderly on a fixed income, this may be technically legal…but hardly ethical IMHO.

Ok, now this is where Goodrx comes in: They obtain the contracted insurance company rate and make it public to cash paying customers- insurance companies go along since they pay nothing for the meds and save the money that would go to the PBM middleman. Good rx makes a small profit by having the insurance companies pay a percentage of that savings to them. But the consumer now has access to the insurance company rate, and given the complexity of it all even the negotiated rates can vary widely from one pharmacy to another.

While hardly perfect, it is a useful tool to be certain you are not being totally ripped off and getting at least a decent price. Another route to go is Costco’s pharmacy, which adds a percentage to the acquisition cost, but may not have the lowest acquisition cost.

Simple enough. But Good rx is a useful tool and it’s a good idea to check it before filling a script. With that said, a rational, transparent pricing structure would be much better.

Good luck in the wild world of pharmacy in the 21st century. Caveat Emptor.

• Hook 'Em 2

GoodRx is one of the biggest scams in health care and it's so crazy to see people use it. There's no such thing as "free" in health care. When you use GoodRx you are charged a fee ranging from $5 to $25 that I collect on your behalf and send to them. Because it's transmitted like insurance, I give them your name, date of birth, gender, address, telephone number, and of course the names and strength of meds you fill. What you don't see on the pharmacy end is that this usually results in a negative reimbursement so I'm paying this company to fill your prescription. A company that I don't have a contract with yet wants to the public that these are negotiated rates. Total bullshit. They're also obligated to inform you on those cards that they're not insurance because everything I transmit is not allowed reimbursement under your insurance plan. If you ever get into a situation where you need to meet your deductible or max out of pocket spending, you will spend more due to using GoodRx. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

GoodRx is one of the biggest scams in health care and it's so crazy to see people use it. There's no such thing as "free" in health care. When you use GoodRx you are charged a fee ranging from $5 to $25 that I collect on your behalf and send to them. Because it's transmitted like insurance, I give them your name, date of birth, gender, address, telephone number, and of course the names and strength of meds you fill. What you don't see on the pharmacy end is that this usually results in a negative reimbursement so I'm paying this company to fill your prescription. A company that I don't have a contract with yet wants to the public that these are negotiated rates. Total bullshit. They're also obligated to inform you on those cards that they're not insurance because everything I transmit is not allowed reimbursement under your insurance plan. If you ever get into a situation where you need to meet your deductible or max out of pocket spending, you will spend more due to using GoodRx. 

someone's mad

• Haha 1

Why participate?

29 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Is there something preventing you from refusing to accept GoodRx customers?

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you pay with GoodRx, just remember that you may need to take action to ensure the $ amount is counted towards your deductible. it's possible it may not if the drug is not covered by your insurance plan at all. It's always good to followup.

i didn't know you could count that towards your deductible.  

33 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Why participate?

33 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Is there something preventing you from refusing to accept GoodRx customers?

I don't. When I worked for the chains I had no choice but I still had access to the claim detail.

Gil what do you do for a living? I know you're in real estate but I don't know what exactly. I only ask so I can give you an example of how goodrx would work in your industry

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's up to your insurance to honor it. and perhaps they have ways to refuse to do so.

Regardless if you do nothing, I assume it will not count towards the deductible.

i'll have to try that next time.  i always thought only meds you purchase through your insurance's affiliation counted towards the deducitble.

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I don't. When I worked for the chains I had no choice but I still had access to the claim detail.

Gil what do you do for a living? I know you're in real estate but I don't know what exactly. I only ask so I can give you an example of how goodrx would work in your industry

These days, I'm a run-of-the-mill Realtor.

• 2 weeks later...