Chuck E. Cheese is terrible

Saint Austin

This is likely not news to a lot of you, but this truth was made painfully obvious to me over the weekend. The oldest turned 5 and had begged for the better part of a year to go after seeing commercials. Admittedly, I enjoyed it as a kid, what with arcade games like After Burner, X-Men, Ninja Turtles, and The Simpsons, one where you stuck your head through a "periscope" and sunk enemy warships, not to mention air hockey and bubble hockey, and the unbeatable ball pit.

Now, however, all those things are gone. Nearly every game is some sort of cheap "spin-the-wheel"-type game that would spit out a few tickets at a time, and the few arcade games they did have were incredibly tame. I'll definitely side with the wife next time and refuse the kid's request at a return trip.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Im terrified of chuck e cheese. Not because of the huge mouse, insane pizza prices and 15 dollar stuffed animals...Im afraid of the white trash obese weekend crowd.

And the fights don't forget the fights. You might get clocked by a 250 lb mama bear. 

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

Do they still serve shitty beer and shittier pizza?

I don't think they serve beer anymore but they still have the pizza.  I agree with the OP that this place has gone down hill.  id rather do dave and busters

28 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I don't think they serve beer anymore but they still have the pizza.  I agree with the OP that this place has gone down hill.  id rather do dave and busters

Even D&B is kind of lame. I don't know where to find it, but an old school arcade and pinball place would be better than the modern games. They just don't have the same soul or skill in new age arcade.

Recess is pretty badass on 6th street for this type of stuff.

15 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Even D&B is kind of lame. I don't know where to find it, but an old school arcade and pinball place would be better than the modern games. They just don't have the same soul or skill in new age arcade.

in Michigan we don't have shit except D&B and Chuck E Cheese. it sucks here. we are disappointment

19 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Pinballz has the classics

• Like 1

Somehow we managed to con our kids when they were younger that Chuck E Cheese was only a place for birthdays and therefore, they could only go on their birthday or if one of their friends invited them to their birthday party.....worked like a charm. When they finally realized what we had done, they were too old to want to go to Chuck E Cheese.

I do however remember Showbiz Pizza on Burnet Road back in the 80's was the tits though......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

They do still serve beer. It's $6.50 for 8 oz. of Michelob Ultra. 

I took my son once and never again. It was a mad house of way overpriced, low quality pizza combined with barely interactive games combined with a rougher than I was expecting crowd. I hadn't been since my nephew's 4th birthday a decade ago and it is nothing like it was just that decade ago.

Had a fraternity brother who was a mascot at his high school and parlayed that into a job as Chuck....said it was all kids just trying to hit him in the junk constantly.

This was back in the early 90s, but i still assume kids like to hit the furry guy in the nads.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Yup totally forgot about that place haven’t been in years 

I had never been there before but some friends from Northville have had birthday parties there the past couple of years for their kids b/c some of the inlaws live in Port Huron. I have to think they underwent some renovations recently because the interior is pretty damn nice...the bars, the bowling alleys, even the gaming areas. I'd venture to say it's nicer than D&B. 

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

itchy and scratchy land. 

Is that it? I can't remember the name so I guess so. Anyway, I almost took a job there way back when. They needed someone to keep their robot band alive and I had the skillz, I just couldn't bring myself to go to work in that sort of a place and sleep well at night knowing what I'd done. I had to pass on it. They paid surprisingly well.

My 4-year old daughter always begs to go to the one in Grand Prairie.

I have to just bribe her with candy, ice cream, and 6-flag so we could avoid it.

Now, google YouTube Chuck E Cheese fights. You’ll see dozens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's one thing if you're dumb enough to take your own kid there. But it's rude as fuck to have your kid's birthday party there and force other parents to go.

The one time I had to take my kid to a party there (which I would never do again), a worker told me that locations in the worst areas don't sell beer in order to reduce fights. So if you live near one that doesn't sell beer, well...

18 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I'll definitely side with the wife next time and refuse the kid's request at a return trip.

waaaiiiiiiiiiiit a minute.   you led the charge to Chuckie's?

dude.

• Like 1

CEC just showed up on Uber Eats for me. I had to laugh. I mean, wow.

And yes I live near one that serves beer. And it’s awful.

There’s a different place nearby called Main Event that’s way better. Large bar, loads of video games, pool, bowling, laser tag, ropes course, decent bar food. It has lots of the ticket games too if that’s your bag. It’s even better than D&B.

Used to go there when my sister's kids were young enough to want to go.  Like others, I was surprised how rough the crowd was.  Turns out their corporate locations have a lot of incidents so it's not just confined to one area.  

I knew a guy in the San Antonio Police Department.  He told me the busiest days of the year for them was Easter and Mother's Day.  He said it was because you have large family gatherings and there are always people there with a bad history.  I imagine every Chuck E. Cheese is like that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I told my wife that I want it mentioned in my obituary, as an example of my love for her,  that I went with her before kids and marriage to one of her friends kids birthday parties at Chuck E Cheese.  God , I love that woman, undefeated.

She must have huge tits.

17 hours ago, Eastwood said:

They do still serve beer. It's $6.50 for 8 oz. of Michelob Ultra. 

I took my son once and never again. It was a mad house of way overpriced, low quality pizza combined with barely interactive games combined with a rougher than I was expecting crowd. I hadn't been since my nephew's 4th birthday a decade ago and it is nothing like it was just that decade ago.

8 oz of beer?

in a sippy cup or some shit?   

Who does that?  You should get a 32oz stein for dealing with that environment.

I went to the one in West U for the first time recently and was expecting to desire seppuku.

They had IPA on tap and the pizza was not THAT bad.  I was floored.  I cannot believe I am saying this but I would go back.

Maybe I have malaria.

1 hour ago, huge said:

I went to the one in West U for the first time recently and was expecting to desire seppuku.

They had IPA on tap and the pizza was not THAT bad.  I was floored.  I cannot believe I am saying this but I would go back.

Maybe I have malaria.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, huge said:

Maybe I have malaria.

I took my kid to that one a couple times on rainy days and shit just to get out of the house.  It's the most tolerable of all.  Games are pretty bad, but I discovered a couple where you can score some decent tickets so that the kid comes away with more than just a pencil eraser.

17 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I sure hope the dude from Shaggy who was the Dave & Buster's ticket savant made it over here. 

If you're reading this (forgot the username...) please give us an update on your latest exploits. 

There you go.

23 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Im terrified of chuck e cheese. Not because of the huge mouse, insane pizza prices and 15 dollar stuffed animals...Im afraid of the white trash obese weekend crowd.

This is a reality. The one up by Valley View mall was like one of the circles of hell -- and the only one close so that's where the birthday parties were -- before they renovated. Now it's only half terrible and they serve beer now. Luckily, my kids have passed that stage of their lives.

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm morbidly curious about who would actually pay to have CEC delivered via Uber Eats.  Those people will probably end up on a list of some kind, and if that list is ever acted upon, it's probably for the greater good.

I imagine it would have to be for the lulz.  I have been thinking about Favoring food from a strip club to see if they do it.  

Had a fraternity brother who was a mascot at his high school and parlayed that into a job as Chuck....said it was all kids just trying to hit him in the junk constantly.

This was back in the early 90s, but i still assume kids like to hit the furry guy in the nads.
I worked there one summer in the late 90s. Everyone wanted to fight chuckie. The pizza back then was pretty good but expensive for how much you got. I totally did it for the female coworkers though.