Licorice Pizza - Paul Thomas Anderson

Don Johnson

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

That is Cooper Hoffman, son of Phil Seymour Hoffman in the lead.

well this made me tear up! i did not know that. PSH was my absolute favorite for years, i was in line at HEB reading on my phone when i saw the news and i literally started crying in line 💔

also 2 of my top 10 movies are PTA (Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood). the discussion elsewhere about both Tarantino and the Coen bros. 'retiring' soon was terribly depressing...please please please let PTA continue making excellent movies for a long time!

someone like me who doesn't do comic book/super hero movies... it's so damn refreshing for someone to do something interesting and unique. 

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Flawless choice of song for that trailer, though.

You can never go wrong with Bowie. The best ever was the German version of "Heroes" at the end of JoJo Rabbit.

As for this. Sean Penn? Why did it have to be Sean Penn? (Apparently, Ben Stiller is in it too but I don't think I saw him at all in the trailer.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What an odd casting.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I dig Haim, but does she have much acting experience? I know she’s done some TV writing.

This might have something to do with it (see pic of PTA's Filmography at IMDB). I didn't know PTA has done as much music as he has. And is Inherent Vice (2014) really the last feature-length movie he's directed? I've started and stopped that movie a dozen times, I bet. It's been on my DVR for 2+ years.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 10.33.45 PM.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

This might have something to do with it (see pic of PTA's Filmography at IMDB). I didn't know PTA has done as much music as he has. And is Inherent Vice (2014) really the last feature-length movie he's directed? I've started and stopped that movie a dozen times, I bet. It's been on my DVR for 2+ years.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 10.33.45 PM.png

Phantom Thread - 2017. Much better than Inherent Vice.

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Music + on Vine was my go-to record store.

my buddy worked at a Music +.   I worked at a pizza joint a few doors down.  He thought his job was cooler, because they listened to records all day.  I reminded him that I had access to draft beer all day. 

Anyway, "Ratt" made a personal appearance at his store when they were promoting their first record.    For the next several years (until the chain folded), that store had a large "Meet Ratt Here" poster...hanging over the toilet. 

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, henrygandorf said:

it's like paul thomas anderson made a cameron crowe movie. 

which works out, because cameron crowe isn't even doing that anymore.

I thought the exact same thing.

Man I hope this is good.

Edited by Rip76

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I was glad when it ended. I don't remember much of anything about it other than the excellence of the secondary character played by Leslie Manville.

spacer.png

But, it's all subjective.

I'll have to watch it again.

Spoiler

It's subtle - but iirc isn't the reveal that she gives him food poisoning so she can care of him? I thought that was very well done.

And glad when it ended =/= doesn't have a good ending. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 4:47 PM, Upgrayedd said:

That high school looks familiar.  Hmmm.

KMET billboard!

More on the billboard here. But yeah my eyes got big when I saw that in the trailer.

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/licorice-pizza-paul-thomas-anderson/

On 9/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

Ahhhh the Sherman Oaks Galleria. Quite a history for a shitty mall.

I cannot believe they named a movie after the LP record store chain. Holy fuck. It was a great store but always 2nd fiddle to Tower.

Love this pic from the article linked above.

licorice-pizza-donna-santisi-redferns-Ge

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Hey, no stealing my patented 5 point plan.

Whatever dude, you're the kinda Damone ripoff that says, "Put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin 4" and then puts on side 2 of Physical Graffiti, record 1's "Kashmir."  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whatever dude, you're the kinda Damone ripoff that says, "Put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin 4" and then puts on side 2 of Physical Graffiti, record 1's "Kashmir."  

Funny thing is Amy Heckerling didn't notice that until post production, but decided to leave it to emphasize what a dork Rat was in getting it wrong.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 9:46 PM, capnamerca said:

Flawless choice of song for that trailer, though.

Indeed. Sometime I worry that a great song + beautiful cinematic images in a trailer papers over a shitty 120 minute narrative.

I hope not. I feel like i am starving for a good movie [from anyone] these days.

Edited by yoladu

• 2 weeks later...