The Book of Boba Fett- Disney+ show starting December 29

mdmost

I think my issue is what happened to him in the flashbacks is more interesting than the current storyline of wanting to be the crime lord. This show may be too Disney-fied for its own good. He shoots Bib Fortuna in cold blood off the throne but this show makes it seem like post-Sand People Boba wouldn't do that. I'm hoping there will be actual war with the Pykes because it's pretty obvious they helped the biker gang kill the Sand People. But with the way this show is going, I'm not sure present day Boba is going to kill some people. There's two Bobas, Mando Boba who killed everyone he saw and this show's Boba who seems to go out of his way not to kill people as the crime lord.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think my issue is what happened to him in the flashbacks is more interesting than the current storyline of wanting to be the crime lord. This show may be too Disney-fied for its own good. He shoots Bib Fortuna in cold blood off the throne but this show makes it seem like post-Sand People Boba wouldn't do that. I'm hoping there will be actual war with the Pykes because it's pretty obvious they helped the biker gang kill the Sand People. But with the way this show is going, I'm not sure present day Boba is going to kill some people. There's two Bobas, Mando Boba who killed everyone he saw and this show's Boba who seems to go out of his way not to kill people as the crime lord.

all of what he said. 

i also agree with the sentiment earlier that this is less desperado/elmariachi rodriguez and more spy kids rodriguez.

• Hook 'Em 1

It kind of hit me how epic the scene was with Boba Fett looking for his armor in the sarlac pit, with the wreckage of the sail barge in the background. Like if you would have told me in 1984 I'd be watching a tv show where that happened. "Sweet! Like next year?".

"Um, actually it will be 38 years from now."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Bc he appeared severely dehydrated and the Jawa fucking knocked his ass out with a hit to the head. 

ECFB6E23-0902-406C-A09D-711B62541B0C.jpeg

I was thinking his escape from the sarlac was soon after he entered it but after the battle.  I also assumed that it was only a few hours between when he woke to being stripped by the Jawas and when he was hit in the head again.  Also why did they strip him and leave him for dead and yet they rescue Timothy Olyphant even before he offers the trade.  Whatever Nivek, it is just a space show that has outer-space bombers.   

I do feel like there wasn't really a fleshed out story for Boba before they dropped him back into the universe. Just feels like the two shows aren't synching up right and we're backfilling to make things make sense. Just small details like Boba not having boots with spurs in the show. The silhouettes don't match up as he looks like he's wearing the normal Boba cape in the Mando scene and not the giant Tusken garb from BoBF.  He's incredibly brutal in Mando and not at all in BoBF. Just need a little consistency Robert. 

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

It kind of hit me how epic the scene was with Boba Fett looking for his armor in the sarlac pit, with the wreckage of the sail barge in the background. Like if you would have told me in 1984 I'd be watching a tv show where that happened. "Sweet! Like next year?".

"Um, actually it will be 38 years from now."

"And there'll be another series focused on an infant from Yoda's species, and there'll be like half a dozen more TV series coming out about Star Wars, including Obi Wan Kenobi, and you'll be watching all of this during a global pandemic, and they will still have new Star Trek shows, including a continuation of a series that is starting in 1987

Oh, and in 1999, Lucas will be putting out prequels showing Darth Vader as an 8 year. And 20 years later they'll have Han's son kill him in another Star Wars movie that is ultimately part of a shitty Star Wars trilogy, and makes George Lucas's prequels look like Empire Strikes Back.

Oh, Star Wars won't even be close to being the biggest movie franchise, it'll be a bunch of comic book movies with Spider-man, Doctor Strange, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and a bunch of others, basically everybody but X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

I do feel like there wasn't really a fleshed out story for Boba before they dropped him back into the universe. Just feels like the two shows aren't synching up right and we're backfilling to make things make sense. Just small details like Boba not having boots with spurs in the show. The silhouettes don't match up as he looks like he's wearing the normal Boba cape in the Mando scene and not the giant Tusken garb from BoBF.  He's incredibly brutal in Mando and not at all in BoBF. Just need a little consistency Robert. 

They might end with him wrecking shop after his trial run of being the kinder gentler gangster doesn't work.

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

his demeanor doesn't fit the Boba Fett from the OG trilogy who had a sinister snark behind that mask and you knew he was always going to sit back and let things play out before shooting you in the back and emptying your pockets while you were still warm. 

What the fuck are you talking about?  Boba Fett had like 4 lines in the whole OG trilogy and then a Wilhelm Scream when he goes into the Sarlaac Pit.  There was nothing really established about his character outside of his desire to catch his latest bounty....alive.  

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

What the fuck are you talking about?  Boba Fett had like 4 lines in the whole OG trilogy and then a Wilhelm Scream when he goes into the Sarlaac Pit.  There was nothing really established about his character outside of his desire to catch his latest bounty....alive.  

And an apparent propensity for disintegrating people. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

"And there'll be another series focused on an infant from Yoda's species, and there'll be like half a dozen more TV series coming out about Star Wars, including Obi Wan Kenobi, and you'll be watching all of this during a global pandemic, and they will still have new Star Trek shows, including a continuation of a series that is starting in 1987

Oh, and in 1999, Lucas will be putting out prequels showing Darth Vader as an 8 year. And 20 years later they'll have Han's son kill him in another Star Wars movie that is ultimately part of a shitty Star Wars trilogy, and makes George Lucas's prequels look like Empire Strikes Back.

Oh, Star Wars won't even be close to being the biggest movie franchise, it'll be a bunch of comic book movies with Spider-man, Doctor Strange, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and a bunch of others, basically everybody but X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

Oh, and they will all be Disney characters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

He's incredibly brutal in Mando and not at all in BoBF. Just need a little consistency Robert. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

They might end with him wrecking shop after his trial run of being the kinder gentler gangster doesn't work.

He blew away one of the assassins in Mos Eisley with a rocket, and I think even smirked about it.

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

btw, not only is boba 61 but fennec is 58.

couple geriatrics up in this piece.

edit to add that beals is 1 month younger than fennec.

and stephen root is 70.

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Golden girls actresses ages for season 1: 64,63,62, 52. 

what I'm hearing is we need a Golden Girls reboot with Jennifer Beals, Ming Na Wen, Elizabeth Hurley, and Susan Sarandon

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 3

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

btw, not only is boba 61 but fennec is 58.

couple geriatrics up in this piece.

edit to add that beals is 1 month younger than fennec.

and stephen root is 70.

Episode II was approximately 22 years BBY (before the battle of Yavin IV). Boba was maybe 10-14 years old? ROTJ when Boba goes into the pit is around 4 ABY, so he’s 36-40 years old then? The Mandalorian and  BOBF occur around 10 ABY so Boba is early 40s. I guess they didn’t have a lot of choice in casting a 61 year old since we already know the face and voice he was supposed to have. 

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

It somewhat sucks that the show is burdened by what they could envision and create in the 70's.  Banthas could have been much better.  These look like they were designed by Jim Henson for Fraggle Rock.

Who gives a shit about Banthas?  That's like complaining about the camels in Lawrence of Arabia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Episode II was approximately 22 years BBY (before the battle of Yavin IV). Boba was maybe 10-14 years old? ROTJ when Boba goes into the pit is around 4 ABY, so he’s 36-40 years old then? The Mandalorian and  BOBF occur around 10 ABY so Boba is early 40s. I guess they didn’t have a lot of choice in casting a 61 year old since we already know the face and voice he was supposed to have. 

maybe the cloning process has him aging slight faster than normal

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Who gives a shit about Banthas?  That's like complaining about the camels in Lawrence of Arabia.

And what the hell do they eat?  There are barely enough water gourds to keep anyone alive.  Any why do they walk so slow?  Are they capable of trotting?  So many questions.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

He was an unaltered clone.  All the others were aged faster, he was not.  Don't need to do back bends, they just cast an older actor because they already used him before.  The end....

Right. Filoni is a huge prequels fan and continued the Boba story from AOTC in the Clone Wars cartoon. He wasn't going to recast Temuera Morrison. Lucas set the table for the universe and Filoni will follow his lead all the way. 

Edited by mdmost

47 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

And what the hell do they eat?  There are barely enough water gourds to keep anyone alive.  Any why do they walk so slow?  Are they capable of trotting?  So many questions.

Watching the scenes with them, I'm thinking that must be the slowest mode of transportation in the galaxy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Well it wasn’t always a desert planet. Interesting story. You see…

My good friends, the liberal galactic media is at it again. They never stop. Now they're trying to convince us that Hoth is melting. Well, that's crazy, Just trying to scare us. And if that weren't enough to get you mad, we now have news that Lando Calrissian has been made the chief administrator of the Bespin mining facility. Gee, I wonder how he got that job. Well, let me tell you how he got that job. Affirmitive action strikes again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My good friends, the liberal galactic media is at it again. They never stop. Now they're trying to convince us that Hoth is melting. Well, that's crazy, Just trying to scare us. And if that weren't enough to get you mad, we now have news that Lando Calrissian has been made the chief administrator of the Bespin mining facility. Gee, I wonder how he got that job. Well, let me tell you how he got that job. Affirmitive action strikes again.

aIflX7.gif

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

This show didn’t ruin any Boba Fett mystique. Boba Fett’s bad-assery was ruined when Lucas had Han Solo kill him by accident.  

Loved it when I was 11, though.  

That’s the way I enjoy Star Wars.  Through the eyes of 11-yr old Guadaloopy.  

This is a great post.  You kind of have to suspend a little disbelief to think the guy this could happen to....is really all that bad ass.

Kids really made Lucas soft. Ewoks instead of Wookies. Made Leia Luke's sister instead of a love interest. Killed off a cult character in a most unceremonious way. Boba was in consideration to be the villain of the third movie before Lucas truncated the whole thing from having two trilogies to one. Emperor wasn't supposed to be in the picture until the 2nd trilogy. Luke's sister was supposed to be found on the other side of the galaxy and was not Leia. They also killed off Lando and the Millenium Falcon in the first draft and Luke took off Vader's helmet, watched him die, and then put the helmet on himself and became evil Luke. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I never realized Tatooine was the end result of unchecked fossil fuel pollution. You better claim your spice mines and water vaporators now. 

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

i love how we interpret seemingly innocuous phrases differently.

I just liked the phrasing aspect /archer

edit: And I actually somewhat disagree with @mdmost - I don't think it's so much the kids made Lucas soft, I think it's the money/success.

Not to go off on a tangent, but as the Red Letter Media reviews mentioned, Lucas was at his best when he was bucking the system.  When he became the system, and had this massive machine/empire to maintain (LucasFilm, ILM, etc.), he began making things/decisions focused on keeping the machine fed and people employed.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Well, can't edit that, but going off on a tangent more:

You can argue that when it became about the money/success, that chasing kids and their parents for the eyeballs made the most sense and so yes, he was pandering to kids to keep the machine going. And I'm actually torn about the prequels these days.  The sequels made me reevaluate them.  

I do think there was a cash grab aspect in the prequel merchandising (and holy fuck was the merchandising insane), but I also think Lucas probably had aspects of those stories floating around in his head since the 70s and wanted them on the screen. They have some awful/rough (as in not fully fleshed out) aspects and ideas, but there was some good stuff in there, as evidenced by what Filoni was able to do afterward, and he was willing to let Filoni do his thing and shape Lucas's universe, knowing that Filoni was adding to the canon.  

I think he sold the company because he got tired of keeping the machine going.

Which brings me back to the topic at hand - I honestly don't think The Mandalorian or Book of Boba Fett would have been made under Lucas (I'm still surprised they were made under Kathleen Kennedy).  He and Rick were chasing a Star Wars TV series for years, not too long after the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (mid-1990s), and they reached a point where it was certainly viable while the company was under his control, but he decided not to.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, can't edit that, but going off on a tangent more:

You can argue that when it became about the money/success, that chasing kids and their parents for the eyeballs made the most sense and so yes, he was pandering to kids to keep the machine going. And I'm actually torn about the prequels these days.  The sequels made me reevaluate them.  

I do think there was a cash grab aspect in the prequel merchandising (and holy fuck was the merchandising insane), but I also think Lucas probably had aspects of those stories floating around in his head since the 70s and wanted them on the screen. They have some awful/rough (as in not fully fleshed out) aspects and ideas, but there was some good stuff in there, as evidenced by what Filoni was able to do afterward, and he was willing to let Filoni do his thing and shape Lucas's universe, knowing that Filoni was adding to the canon.  

I think he sold the company because he got tired of keeping the machine going.

Which brings me back to the topic at hand - I honestly don't think The Mandalorian or Book of Boba Fett would have been made under Lucas (I'm still surprised they were made under Kathleen Kennedy).  He and Rick were chasing a Star Wars TV series for years, not too long after the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (mid-1990s), and they reached a point where it was certainly viable while the company was under his control, but he decided not to.

My years-later analysis on the prequels has landed on: good ideas with mostly terrible execution.

For all of George Lucas’ faults, I’ll give him this: he doesn’t re-tread his ideas. The storyline of the prequels was pretty much nothing like what anyone expected. It certainly wasn’t a re-tread of the OT, like the sequel trilogy ended up being.  I respect Lucas for coming up with original ideas and not do what people/fans were expecting.

I think if Lucas had let someone else put his ideas into screenplays and also direct, while he had more of a role like he did in ESB and ROTJ (overall idea man and oversee production, particularly VFX), I think the prequels could have been really special.  As it is, I think The Phantom Menace has actually aged quite well. Revenge of the Sith was a fun watch from the start. The only one that is just (still) completely awful in hindsight is Attack of the Clones. It’s just a terrible mess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1