College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wonder where Frank Solich and Bo Pelini rank among Nebraska's winningest football coaches?  I'm assuming its 3rd and 4th behind Osborne and Devaney.

IU basketball is definitely NU football.  

yeah @Prepuce of Doom is right, when you do it by total wins it slants towards the modern 30+ game season, but I was still surprised Davis and especially Miller were that high on IU's list.

Tom Herman is in a three-way tie for 7th at UT in football wins (I guess he'd be higher if not for the truncated 2020 season). John Mackovic is 6th. To give you some idea. 

Indiana blew it by firing cheatin' ass Kevbo Sampson. They should have just shrugged and said "so fucking what". They'd probably have a national title since, at least a couple Final Fours. At this point, programs should probably just ignore any rule breaking related to amateurism. If the coach is covering up a murder or double-digit rapes or pederasty that's different, and so is SMU style institutional payrolla, but caring about "we broke NCAA rules" is completely jejune in the era of AAU and player handlers. Maybe it always was, who knows. 

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Mike Davis got them to a Final Four, right?

Championship game with Bob Knight's players where they got smashed by Maryland and somehow beat a #1 seed great Duke team (Jared Jeffries basically carried them on his own) 

Roy is leaving the place much better than he found it so they’ve got that. They probably run at beard and if the ink isn’t dry I think they get him. Self followed Roy and he brought us a championship. Beard coaches just like self. In Self’s book he discusses talking to his dad about following a legend and he basically said don’t be a pussy. 

“if you’d rather be at Illinois, stay at Illinois. If you’d rather be at Kansas, go to Kansas. But don’t not go because you don’t think you can live up to what the guy before you did”

Cooncidentally, I started hating Dickie V after that hire too. He went out of his way to call self and said “you don’t want to do that. You’ll never win as much as Roy, but you’ve got a chance to do what he did at Kansas at Illinois. Why would you want to follow a legend?”

Dukie V is a fucking pussy. 

It's gotta be McCasland for TT unless he doesn't want it but I'm not sure why he wouldn't. He got his coaching start at TT and also at Midland, plus the conference experience as a Baylor assistant. OU will be after him too.

Edited by Juke_Em

4 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

It's gotta be McCasland for TT unless he doesn't want it but I'm not sure why he wouldn't. He got his coaching start at TT and also at Midland, plus the conference experience as a Baylor assistant. OU will be after him too.

Well their fanbase will shiv him if he has success and tries to take another job one day, but otherwise it's a decent job.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 1

Bill Self gets a lifetime contract with KU and a raise above $5M. Also of note it specifically states KU cannot fire him based on the NCAA allegations. Looks like KU has drawn a line in the sand for the ncaa and we are going to be defiant as hell. 

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Update the OU odds

Rumor is it's a Harbaugh deal where they can basically get rid of him at their leisure if they find something better. Maryland is definitely a basketball school, they'll find someone at some point. 

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If Moser goes to OU and we didn't even bother waiting for him because we had to sign fucking TJ Otzelberger, I'm going to break shit.

Looks like it's time for you to break shit.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Knowing what we know thus far, Moser seems like a great hire for OU sucks. If Texas did not land Beard, I would have preferred going after Moser. 

Sucks to be Tech right now, but they deserve every bit of it.

He has no ties to the state for recruiting purposes. It would have been a disaster with the roster Shaka left him. Bearn ensures there is no rebuild, Moser would have needed a couple of years to rebuild the roster.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If this happens, not only did UNT look like they are going to keep their HC out of all of these movers, there is a real possibility that Mark Adams get passed over and he could come join the staff here...

Ill take that in a heartbeat. I am not sold on the idea of having a first year HC that jumps from the NBA to come back home. Sometimes it works out spectacularly, but most times it ends up being a meh hire longterm.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:41 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah @Prepuce of Doom is right, when you do it by total wins it slants towards the modern 30+ game season, but I was still surprised Davis and especially Miller were that high on IU's list.

Tom Herman is in a three-way tie for 7th at UT in football wins (I guess he'd be higher if not for the truncated 2020 season). John Mackovic is 6th. To give you some idea. 

Indiana blew it by firing cheatin' ass Kevbo Sampson. They should have just shrugged and said "so fucking what". They'd probably have a national title since, at least a couple Final Fours. At this point, programs should probably just ignore any rule breaking related to amateurism. If the coach is covering up a murder or double-digit rapes or pederasty that's different, and so is SMU style institutional payrolla, but caring about "we broke NCAA rules" is completely jejune in the era of AAU and player handlers. Maybe it always was, who knows. 

Always was.  UCLA says hi

On 3/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

They should have just shrugged and said "so fucking what". They'd probably have a national title since, at least a couple Final Fours. At this point, programs should probably just ignore any rule breaking related to amateurism. If the coach is covering up a murder or double-digit rapes or pederasty that's different

That's backwards.

/Baylor

Edited by Bevo14

On 3/31/2021 at 3:41 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

The crazy thing is Sampson went down for something like 100 impermissible texts and phone calls.  100.  One Hundred.  He was really just on the cutting edge of recruiting with how many text messages are allowed now.  Any coach would look at his show cause and basically chalk it up to the guy who gets arrested for having an eighth of marijuana 24 hours before the drug became legal.

Sampson's resurgence is really an indictment on the NCAA and how petty they are with infractions with coaches and programs they don't favor.  A lot of people are affected by the NCAA's personal vendettas.  That includes coaches, universities, current players, and future players because of schools losing scholarship opportunities for high schoolers.  Fuck the NCAA.

• Hook 'Em 2

UNC hiring Hubert Davis as their HC, I'd be very disappointed if I were a fan of theirs, especially with how the national media called it the best coaching job in the country. Think all of their coaches since Dean Smith have had strong ties to the program but hate the mindset that they have to hire their own.

Edited by Teryor

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition