College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Could be that they told him no but didn't want to publicly hurt the reputation of an alumnus.

Possible, but the guy interviewed with the Clippers, Pacers, and Bulls last year alone and I believe had more the previous year. Could he be more Patrick Ewing than Juwan Howard? Absolutely. But he's a relatively younger guy with a lot of at least perceived NBA upside that I would rather they didn't have in this hire right after Beard.

Woj is definitely always going to carry water for his NBA sources though, of which I'd assume Ham's agent was for this tweet.

Edited by Teryor

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Could be that they told him no but didn't want to publicly hurt the reputation of an alumnus.

That’s possible. It’s also possible the really wanted him and he said “no thanks” as he’s close to getting an NBA job sooner than later.

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Tech fans are probably more happy that this takes away from Beard more than anything.  However, I don’t know that this is the right move.  

McCasland at UNT would have been a better hire. Adam’s is in his 60s and has never been a HC at a high mid major or P5 conference. Old and no real skins as a HC to me screams everyone else said no and this buys them two or three years...

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Tech fans are probably more happy that this takes away from Beard more than anything.  However, I don’t know that this is the right move.  

It's absolutely the right move, both from an X's and O's coaching experience and a retaining current players perspective (and our one current recruit in the 2021 class reaffirmed his commitment on hearing about the hire). At the very least, it ensures we retain our defensive intensity. The assistants he hires will be the deciding factor on if this is a slam dunk or a missed layup.

Also, no, it has very little to do with what Beard wants (at least from my perspective).  Personally, I hold little to no grudge against Beard whatsoever. There's no way in hell I can blame a guy for going to coach for his alma mater. Does it kinda suck? Yeah sure, but he left us much better than we were, and I think it will be easier to pick up the pieces than most Tech fans think.

Back to Adams, yeah, Beard needs/wants him, but there's a reason for that and it's the reason he's becoming the head coach right now. It's just the right move to make.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's absolutely the right move, both from an X's and O's coaching experience and a retaining current players perspective. At the very least, it insures we retain our defensive intensity. The assistants he hires will be the deciding factor on if this is a slam dunk or a missed layup.

Also, no, it has very little to do with what Beard wants (at least from my perspective).  Personally, I hold little to no grudge against Beard whatsoever. There's no way in hell I can blame a guy for going to coach for his alma mater. Does it kinda suck? Yeah sure, but he left us much better than we were, and I think it will be easier to pick up the pieces than most Tech fans think.

Back to Adams, yeah, Beard needs/wants him, but there's a reason for that and it's the reason he's becoming the head coach right now. It's just the right move to make.

You know more about this than I do, but I do wonder about this being Adams’ first P5 head coaching job at his age.  

It’s definitely going to be about who he hires as assistants. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You know more about this than I do, but I do wonder about this being Adams’ first P5 head coaching job at his age.  

Yeah absolutely that is an open question, but I think it's a very educated gamble on the part of our athletic department. As of the announcement of the hire, most of our players have (some of which who had entered the transfer portal) affirmed that they will be returning to play for Tech (still waiting on word from a couple), and our star recruit for next year has as well. That is a BIG fucking deal because if that wasn't the case our roster would be a disaster next year. Adams is VERY well respected (on the same level as Beard) by our current and former players, and in Texas coaching circles. That alone is worth quite a bit, in my opinion.

If nothing else, Beard coaching against Adams next year will be a great story given how close they were. Both will be coaching the same kind of defense so our games will be...interesting. I really hope the students don't go too apeshit next year in Lubbock.

Edited by Brian Fantana

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

He has plenty of head coaching exp, just not at a p5 job. He won a junior college national championship at Howard College in 2010. This is a good hire for us. Keeps continuity in the program and the defense (why we win) will stay the same. Kevin McCullars is confirmed to be returning. The rumors are that Kyler Edwards and TJ Shannon are both coming back as well, and our top recruit Tyson will be honoring the commitment. If McClung comes back it's basically the entire team, which would put us in position to be competitive in the big 12/make the tournament and keep the basketball program moving in the right direction. 

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Also, another thing that absolutely cannot be understated is not having to rebuild the culture that Beard built, which I think will be his greatest legacy at Tech. Adams is fully capable of carrying that forward.

100% agree. Beard was able to establish a wining culture based on mental toughness and physical play. That wont change under Adams.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

But are yall okay with the vandalism at Beard’s Lubbock house?

Never said that I was, its pathetic if you ask me. Vandalism, physical threats against Beard or his family or actual violence is completely unacceptable. Tech fans have every right to be angry/"hate him" and can certainly give him a warm welcome every year when he comes to Lubbock, but anything else is out of bounds.

Every fanbase has some idiots. Most tech people are good and honest individuals.   

Just now, planoraider11 said:

Never said that I was, its pathetic if you ask me. Vandalism, physical threats against Beard or his family or actual violence is completely unacceptable. Tech fans have every right to be angry/"hate him" and can certainly give him a warm welcome every year when he comes to Lubbock, but anything else is out of bounds.

Every fanbase has some idiots. Most tech people are good and honest individuals.   

You must have gone to Plano West lol

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

But are yall okay with the vandalism at Beard’s Lubbock house?

Nope, not even a little bit.

Another interesting note is Kyler Edwards just announced he will return. Interesting because he was going to transfer if Beard remained the coach. I wonder what that was all about.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

This seems like a texags-ing of the current state of affairs given all of the actual information out there at the moment.

Well Kyler Edwards just announced he is coming back. I would never drop to a Texags level of poster, those idiots don't have any basis in reality. 

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

Would be interesting to see who they reached out to, I'm sure the Stevens/Few/Wright types turned them down which should hopefully quiet the people who wanted us to make them say no

You can't hold it against the 'say no' crowd. 0u got Moser, when all anyone could talk about was his ties to Chicago and his wife's old money. CBS even had a cute promo video. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

12 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

You can't hold it against the 'say no' crowd. 0u got Moser, when all anyone could talk about was his ties to Chicago and his wife's old money. CBS even had a cute promo video. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Not to be a dick but you’re comparing OU and a top 5 AD to tech and Hocutt.  Apples and oranges.  And I say this as a Lubbock born dipshit who’s second favorite team is tech, due to family ties there.  I’m in the minority around here when I wish them the best.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not to be a dick but you’re comparing OU and a top 5 AD to tech and Hocutt.  Apples and oranges.  And I say this as a Lubbock born dipshit who’s second favorite team is tech, due to family ties there.  I’m in the minority around here when I wish them the best.  

tenor.gif?itemid=5450045&f=1&nofb=1

My post was about UNC. 

And of course you're a dick. You went to 0u and live in Chicago.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

Us nabbing Terry and UTEP then taking an assistant from Baylor would be a nice double win. 

Golding probably does need to capitalize on his success at ACU this year if he wants to keep moving up the ranks, but I’m not sure UTEP would be the best choice. Seems like a difficult place to attract talent and win consistently. 

On 4/5/2021 at 9:57 PM, planoraider11 said:

Tech fans have every right to be angry/"hate him" 

Man, I just totally disagree with that.  I mean, they can be pissed off in general, but personally attacking the guy who took the program from also-ran to consistent contender... because he went home to his alma mater? 

I mean, it's not like he was drawing a top-5-in-the-country type salary while going half a decade without a single tourney win.  Or despite a roster peppered with NBA-level talent, he lost to a tiny private college that almost no one outside the state has ever heard of.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, planoraider11 said:

Do they?

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

UTEP would be a bad move for Golding IMO.  First, I'm not sure UTEP is actually even a better job, period. Not to mention that Golding is an ACU graduate and former player.  He has shepherded the program through the transition to Division 1 and finally has them competing at a high level.  Their win % has gone up just about every single year over the last seven years:  32%, 42%, 45%, 50%, 79%, 65%, 83% - and most of the major contributors are back next year.

Moreover, ACU has a very large endowment ($425M), by far the largest in the Southland Conference, double UTEP and bigger than all but Rice and UAB in C-USA. The money is there for ACU to show him some love.  

The recent win vs. Texas is going to be transformational in terms of fan support.  I would imagine he will want to stick around for a bit.  And if he is leaving it will be for something bigger than UTEP.

Don't know how good their 247 board is, but this is their first hot board:

Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga assistant

Mark Pope, BYU

Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech

Eric Musselman, Arkansas

Damon Stoudamire, Pacific

Miles Simon, LA Lakers assistant

John Beilein

Kelvin Sampson, UH

Jason Terry (internal promotion)

Mike White, Florida

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Do they?

Some do, some like me are pretty indifferent to it. Coaches come and go, maintaining the established culture is the important bit.

Lots of people are taking the opportunity to air grievances or gripes they had with Beard's style or coaching decisions. There are some legitimate ones, for example his coaching in close/OT games was objectively very bad for the most part, but most of it is just people letting off steam and I tend to ignore rumors unless there's something concrete I can point to.

• Like 1

So Miller is out at Zona, KU reworded Self's contract to help protect him if/when they get lit up by the NCAA (and is rumored one of the reasons Beard could poach a coach from his staff)....

What does LSU do with Wade?? LSU is a dumpster fire right now and it might be easier to sacrifice him in the hopes that it helps with the perception of their AD at this point.

What we thought was going to be a quite coaching off season (due to COVID/$$) has become rather crazy. Off the top of my head we have have coaching changes at:

UNC

UT

Arizona

OU

Marquette

Indiana

DePaul

UNLV

TT

Utah

I know I am missing a ton, but that is a lot of big names that have had tournament success in the past on that list.

ESPN's current list

Edited by Laxtonto

16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

UTEP would be a bad move for Golding IMO.  First, I'm not sure UTEP is actually even a better job, period. Not to mention that Golding is an ACU graduate and former player.  He has shepherded the program through the transition to Division 1 and finally has them competing at a high level.  Their win % has gone up just about every single year over the last seven years:  32%, 42%, 45%, 50%, 79%, 65%, 83% - and most of the major contributors are back next year.

Moreover, ACU has a very large endowment ($425M), by far the largest in the Southland Conference, double UTEP and bigger than all but Rice and UAB in C-USA. The money is there for ACU to show him some love.  

The recent win vs. Texas is going to be transformational in terms of fan support.  I would imagine he will want to stick around for a bit.  And if he is leaving it will be for something bigger than UTEP.

That and ACU is going to the WAC starting in the fall and that’s equal to CUSA. No need to leave.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Do they?

Why wouldn't they have a right to be angry or upset? I've already said anything beyond that is completely unacceptable when the line is crossed into threats, violence, vandalism etc... But Tech fans can be angry or upset, that's perfectly justified. I got over it pretty quickly, but to many Tech fans this felt like a betrayal by leaving for an in state conference rival. I know the "rivalry" is viewed differently by UT (as you consider OU) your rival, but for most Tech fans UT is our biggest rival. Imagine how you would feel if Sark turned around your football program, took you to the title game, and left 2 years later to take the job at OU. You would be angry or upset. 

I realize it's his alma matter and understand why he made the decision he did. It makes sense he would want to return to his school and somewhere that traditionally recruits better than Tech. However, I am looking forward to watching Beard have to come back to Lubbock every year, he will get a "warm" reception. 

18 minutes ago, planoraider11 said:

Why wouldn't they have a right to be angry or upset? I've already said anything beyond that is completely unacceptable when the line is crossed into threats, violence, vandalism etc... But Tech fans can be angry or upset, that's perfectly justified. I got over it pretty quickly, but to many Tech fans this felt like a betrayal by leaving for an in state conference rival. I know the "rivalry" is viewed differently by UT (as you consider OU) your rival, but for most Tech fans UT is our biggest rival. Imagine how you would feel if Sark turned around your football program, took you to the title game, and left 2 years later to take the job at OU. You would be angry or upset. 

I realize it's his alma matter and understand why he made the decision he did. It makes sense he would want to return to his school and somewhere that traditionally recruits better than Tech. However, I am looking forward to watching Beard have to come back to Lubbock every year, he will get a "warm" reception. 

Sark wouldn't be dumb enough to do that.  However, if I were an Iowa St fan and Campbell left for ou or Texas, I would understand.  

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition