Motorcycle Fanatics Thread

stupolvo

• 1 month later...

Quick question:  would a couple of these Kawasaki KLX140G (length = 78.9")

Related image

fit in the bed of one of these (Toyota Tacoma Access Cab bed = 73.7")?  Would the tailgate have to be down or is it close enough that the front wheels could be canted and both bikes fit?

toyota_tacoma_toyota-tacoma_2019-1542317279888.jpg

I have a boner for MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 but I've never gone and pulled the trigger on a bike because I'm familiar with my driving tendencies.  

That said, if I was going to go buy one, I wouldn't mind a KTM or a Suzuki.  Ducati would not be wise even though I've visited the factory in Borgo Panigale.

Edited by texasdago

On 4/16/2019 at 7:52 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Quick question:  would a couple of these Kawasaki KLX140G (length = 78.9")

Related image

fit in the bed of one of these (Toyota Tacoma Access Cab bed = 73.7")?  Would the tailgate have to be down or is it close enough that the front wheels could be canted and both bikes fit?

toyota_tacoma_toyota-tacoma_2019-1542317279888.jpg

Tailgate would def. have to be down. You could probably fit one of these behind your bikes (you may be able to cant one bike at an angle and close the tailgate but I sort of doubt that):

3675_1_lg.jpg

30 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If you're concerned about a heavy wrist on a bike, do NOT by a KTM Super Duke.

We ran a 1290 Super Duke R on our rear-wheel dyno in fourth gear to determine peak output from the big twin. We documented 154.66 hp at 9,960 rpm—up 2 hp at 60 fewer rpm than our 2017 model—and 92.55 pound-feet of torque at 7,390 rpm.

Honestly, I would probably get some fart around 125 cc or so bike to scratch the itch but, yeah, its just not going to happen.  

I rode competitive motocross in a pretty non-competitive manner as a teenager.  My will to live was too strong.  I want to get a couple of bikes (see the Kawasaki 140 models upthread) that my 15 YO son and I can go haul around the hill country.  Those should be plenty fun.

As much as I'd love a road bike, I'm just not gonna do it, at least until my kids are out of college and on their own.  Probably not even then.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd join in.  I have a few bikes.  The one I ride consistently is a VStar 1300.  No more sport bikes for me - too hard on the knees.  I'm finding I'm enjoying going low and slow.  I'm restoring my father-in-law's 1970 Honda CB350 for my wife to ride.  It's currently in a gazillion pieces, but I start paint and reassembly next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the Yamaha Niken.

I said before that the major reason why I quit riding is because of all the rails in the San Francisco streets. You never really notice how much moisture is on the ground until you're on two wheels and you constantly ride over metal rails at an angle. This thing would eat up the San Francisco rails.

2019-Yamaha-LMWTRDX-EU-Phantom-Blue-Acti

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 1983 Honda XL600R, a 2000 BMW R1150GS, and a 2018 BMW R1200GS.  All original owner.  I mostly go out and ride 100-300 miles in the country and forests north of The Woodlands, usually with a small-town cafe or BBQ joint as a destination.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly go out and ride 100-300 miles in the country and forests north of The Woodlands, usually with a small-town cafe or BBQ joint as a destination.

This is my favorite weekend activity. Wake up early and go chase historical markers and find some small city to grab a bite to eat. The Calimoto app is awesome, you can set destinations and round trips based on mileage and it'll set a route that focuses on backroads and avoids highways

I certainly miss doing that, sold my ‘07 Ninja 650R two years ago once my second was born...after two straight years of only riding it to ROT and associated dead batteries, it was time to do what I always told my friends I’d do...get rid of it when I had young kids.

After watching all the weekend warriors play badass out at ROT, with their blinker on, both feet down past 10mph, abusing clutches, etc...it’s something you have to do regularly or not at all, at least if you want to stay sharp.

Of course they could be the same guys I always see riding down the very center of the lane, rear tires sliding all over on the oil/water slicks when they come to a stop at the light...simply don’t really pay attention.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:58 PM, NateHitch said:

I rode to work yesterday. Ride there was nice, pleasant temps and little traffic. Ride home not so much. Weather app said high would be 89 but was 97 when I left. Think I hit every red light. I'll give it another week or two, should get better soon

I’m still rehydrating from the DGR. Soooooooooo hot

• 4 weeks later...

Went from being too fucking hot to ride to work to too fucking cold to ride to work with very little middle ground. In the very early planning stages of a trip to big bend and up through New Mexico and Colorado and back to Dallas. Current bike is fun but not suitable for that type of trip, have an eye on the BMW R nineT, that's a sexy bike!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateHitch said:

Went from being too fucking hot to ride to work to too fucking cold to ride to work with very little middle ground. In the very early planning stages of a trip to big bend and up through New Mexico and Colorado and back to Dallas. Current bike is fun but not suitable for that type of trip, have an eye on the BMW R nineT, that's a sexy bike!

Yeah I was really pissed off this week. Why did we skip Fall this year?

• 2 months later...
I love my R1200RS. 
If you bought that at RideNow in Austin and it's a 16 model, I knew the previous owner. He took immaculate care of his bikes. Sadly, he passed away last month from cancer.

It was a never registered ‘16 that the owner of RideNow used as his personal bike. I registered as new w 1800 miles.

Was that the previous owner you knew? Regardless, sorry to hear that news. F cancer.

I bought it back in May and didn’t ride much during the summer, was too damn hot. Have modded a bit and been riding this fall/winter and really like the bike.

2 hours ago, stupolvo said:

It was a never registered ‘16 that the owner of RideNow used as his personal bike. I registered as new w 1800 miles.

Was that the previous owner you knew? Regardless, sorry to hear that news. F cancer.

I bought it back in May and didn’t ride much during the summer, was too damn hot. Have modded a bit and been riding this fall/winter and really like the bike.

Different bike. His had 25k on it when he traded it for a R1250RS last year. It was there when I bought mine in October. And thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Apologies for intruding on the thread, and this might be a dumb question, but is the best way to learn to ride to take a class? 

If you have never ridden before, the class is a great idea. 

Back in my college days I had a pal with an unassuming little Suzuki 250 that we would take to a big parking lots and I took my time and learned to ride that way.

A few months later a bought a Kawasaki 600 and rode it for a year and about 10,000 miles and really got my education out in the hill country.

Riding through rain, slippery water crossings and tight corners all had to be done, so you KNOW what it feels like and gain confidence in all situations.

I sold the 600 to a friend and moved up to a Honda '96 VFR 750 because I wanted to start sport touring and taking trips out of the state.

Before doing so, I finally took the MSF class to stop being an outlaw and get my license. I remember how much fun it was because they have you on small, un-intimidating bikes and made you lock up the brakes and do some fun drills, etc.

Can't go wrong taking the class and good luck, be careful out there.

And you might just have a lifelong new hobby!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:14 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Apologies for intruding on the thread, and this might be a dumb question, but is the best way to learn to ride to take a class? 

I took the class, believe it was 1-2 nights classroom and 2 days on actual 250s.  After that I rode a Rebel 250 which was WAY too small for me, but it helped me really get comfortable and when the battery died I could push start it on level ground lol.  

If you do take the course, pro tip for the dreaded figure-8 test...ride that rear brake like it owes you money, really stabilizes the machine and dampens out inadvertent throttle movements.  Combined with fully committing to looking where you want to go and really throwing your head over your shoulder, I had no problems with it.  I went first, in front of everyone and nailed it.  

Something no one else mentioned that I thought was important about the class...it really let’s you see if you’re cut out to ride without making a serious commitment.  Don’t buy a liter bike, a thousand bucks in gear and ‘ride to live, live to ride’ tat before the class.  

There were two people in my class who had no business on two wheels...great people, just couldn’t get the coordination of both hands/feet it takes...one girl barely ever took her feet off the pegs and that’s a great way to break an ankle.  That rear wheel is a gyroscope, the bikes not going to fall over once it’s rolling and at some point you got to trust it.  I see people still getting up to 15mph with their feet hovering over the ground and I don’t get it.  

I can’t remember the guys name but my instructor was awesome.  I fell once when my boot laces caught in the shifter peg when I came to a stop.  He calmly walked over, asked what happened and said ‘what did you just learn’.  Forever after that my laces were tucked into my boots.  

I miss it sometimes, but I always told people I’d always get out when I had young kids.  Maybe someday. Still go to ROT though 

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I took the class, believe it was 1-2 nights classroom and 2 days on actual 250s.  After that I rode a Rebel 250 which was WAY too small for me, but it helped me really get comfortable and when the battery died I could push start it on level ground lol.  

If you do take the course, pro tip for the dreaded figure-8 test...ride that rear brake like it owes you money, really stabilizes the machine and dampens out inadvertent throttle movements.  Combined with fully committing to looking where you want to go and really throwing your head over your shoulder, I had no problems with it.  I went first, in front of everyone and nailed it.  

Something no one else mentioned that I thought was important about the class...it really let’s you see if you’re cut out to ride without making a serious commitment.  Don’t buy a liter bike, a thousand bucks in gear and ‘ride to live, live to ride’ tat before the class.  

There were two people in my class who had no business on two wheels...great people, just couldn’t get the coordination of both hands/feet it takes...one girl barely ever took her feet off the pegs and that’s a great way to break an ankle.  That rear wheel is a gyroscope, the bikes not going to fall over once it’s rolling and at some point you got to trust it.  I see people still getting up to 15mph with their feet hovering over the ground and I don’t get it.  

I can’t remember the guys name but my instructor was awesome.  I fell once when my boot laces caught in the shifter peg when I came to a stop.  He calmly walked over, asked what happened and said ‘what did you just learn’.  Forever after that my laces were tucked into my boots.  

I miss it sometimes, but I always told people I’d always get out when I had young kids.  Maybe someday. Still go to ROT though 

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I’ve wanted to ride (and specifically for some reason have lusted after a Triumph Bonneville), for several years. But I will definitely take the class first.

11 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I’ve wanted to ride (and specifically for some reason have lusted after a Triumph Bonneville), for several years. But I will definitely take the class first.

By all accounts, the Bonnevilles are great bikes. I haven't ridden one, but I'm still stupid enough to want a fast bike. Class is a great introduction, but I'd encourage you to look at it as the first of many. Riding is a skill that requires constant development. The more you educate yourself, the less likely you are to get killed. 

First bike ever, outside of the beater dirt bike I learned on, was a 79 Bonneville. Loved that bike! Bought it for $900 in pretty bad shape, rode it for 2 years and then stripped it down, powder coated the frame and brackets and did a top end engine rebuild, clutch, new carbs and a ton of other stuff and rode it for a few more years. Knocked up my girlfriend/future wife and sold it, partly for money but mostly because riding made a new mother nervous. Wish I'd kept that bike though, such a cool motorcycle.

15 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Do yourself a favor and take it in nice spring or fall weather.  It’s easier to be comfortable when you’re not layered up or sweating bullets on the asphalt.  Bikes are in demand in the spring so it’s harder to negotiate but you’d have all summer to get comfortable with it. 

I think a Bonny would be a great first bike.  I’d suggest a used one, that’s fuel injected, and maybe already with a little wear on it.  You’ll probably drop it, you may not like riding a roadster style with no windscreen, you might want something with more power, etc.  Have your M endorsement and insurance ready, and consider bringing an experienced friend along to ride it home for you / test it out so you’re not learning a new bike fresh out of class on I35 or something.  When I bought my 06 Ninja 650 I had a friend drive behind me in a car to block traffic and make sure I got home safe so that’s an alternative.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 2

Can’t remember if I put it here or TOS but I’ve pimped this page before as great reading: https://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

Little stuff you won’t learn in class like braking theory, why not to ride down the center of a lane on most roads, group riding safety, etc.  I always picked one side or the other of a lane to stay off the slick oil/water line, stay as far away as possible from oncoming traffic, have longer sight lines, etc.  Same thing as when I dove regularly, always asking myself what my plan would be for a quick exit if things went to shit...like using the ‘buddy system’ when entering an intersection, trying to have a car between me and someone potentially running the red light.  

If you can’t tell, I miss it.  The little things like riding over a creek and getting that wave of cool humid air, all the smells you never get in a car, carving a perfect line on a fast sweeper, kids waving at you, that direct connection to the machine humming away, group rides to marble falls.  But I did it long enough to have friends crash, on crutches, road rash, have the shit scared on me on a tall overpass when the dumbass in front of me slammed on the brakes for a bird or getting my rear tire bumped by an inattentive teen behind me while I was stopped.  My kids at 6 and 3 are dependent on me so had to hang it up.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Is anyone riidng?  I haven't since two Sundays ago, but sure have the itch to ride now that the weather is favorable.  I live a 10 minuta ride from being out in the country, and want to ride.  I noticed in my car Monday that the asewholeness of many drivers is way  enhanced, by the current situation.  Im thinking I'll ride next week.