Motorcycle Fanatics Thread

stupolvo

Used to have 2 Honda Trail 90s we took with us camping in the Ouachitas. Absolute blast for tooling around the dirt forest service roads.

Not mopeds. Mopeds(motorized/pedal)have pedals and typically a 49cc motor so they don’t have the same license requirements in most state.

Want more power? you can always throw a kit on that bitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Oh Ajax, if you've got an open pocket book and want a bike that will convincingly beat the Tesla in a quarter mile... Go get the Kawasaki H2

vuwlhsb5_wgn.jpg.b9acc9c610c549b316a1c33c3deefb0f.jpg

10.04 seconds at 144 mph.

The 2020 will be faster and there are some running low 9s. 

They also have a naked one coming out. Which is even more insane.

Bro, that thing looks scary. Long cruises are what I'd be looking for, riding around the Sierras, up and down the California coast, going to Tahoe. I don't need insane speed. A big gas tank and maybe a DCT so I won't have to shift like a maniac in traffic.

Great explanation on the race btw. 

Edited by ajax

On 3/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, ajax said:

Back in my 20s I used to ride a Ninja. Now I'm starting to get the itch again, dammit. Maybe a Goldwing, seeing as I'm no longer young and dumb.

Not sure how far away from your 20's you are, but I'd consider the adventure bikes, as well. Ducati Multistrada (high-end), or Yamaha Tracer (reasonable). There are guys that absolutely love Goldwings, but there's a ton of other cool bikes out there, now. If you want a fun rabbit hole to go down, check out: ADVRider

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New neighbor rides an '87 Kawasaki ZL600. Rough looking bike, seat cover is pretty much missing, some hose clamps here and there. Says he found it beside a shed somewhere and that it had been parked there since 1989. Thing runs like a champ though. It looks much older, I thought it was maybe a 70's model but internet tells me that most of the other 600's they were making then had more "flair", small plastic fairings etc..., this is more traditional looking. I imagine it will still scoot along pretty well. I'll get a picture and post.

• 2 weeks later...

can one of you motorcycle enthusiasts help me out with a ballpark valuation? i am not a motorcycle guy at all. i’ve inherited a bike that has been sitting in my garage a few years but i’m now moving and need to sell it quickly. i figure i’ll walk into our local harley dealership and see what they offer. i don’t really care about getting every cent out of it, especially since i’m not knowledgeable enough to sell it privately.

here’s what i have:

100th anniversary edition screamin’ eagle softail deuce fxstd with a little over 20k miles.

e07d0cb1db14710985d9585c3f892919.plist

appreciate it!

can one of you motorcycle enthusiasts help me out with a ballpark valuation? i am not a motorcycle guy at all. i’ve inherited a bike that has been sitting in my garage a few years but i’m now moving and need to sell it quickly. i figure i’ll walk into our local harley dealership and see what they offer. i don’t really care about getting every cent out of it, especially since i’m not knowledgeable enough to sell it privately.

here’s what i have:

100th anniversary edition screamin’ eagle softail deuce fxstd with a little over 20k miles.
e07d0cb1db14710985d9585c3f892919.plist

appreciate it!

i’ve got this listed at $6k if anyone is interested or knows someone. seems to be below market but i really don’t want to move this bike in 2 weeks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Help me analyze this crash. The rider says that his left boot touched, and and when he readjusted his foot it threw the bike off balance.

But to my eyes it looks like the action of pulling his left foot up also caused him to pull his left elbow in, causing him to steer into the turn.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, ajax said:

Help me analyze this crash. The rider says that his left boot touched, and and when he readjusted his foot it threw the bike off balance.

But to my eyes it looks like the action of pulling his left foot up also caused him to pull his left elbow in, causing him to steer into the turn.

What do you think?

The guy was leaning the bike pretty hard, and his body position sucked. When he moved his foot, he shifted his butt and leaned the bike even further. Everything that he did to adjust his foot led to the crash - he put more pressure into the bars with his hands, which likely caused the front end to lose grip. At that lean angle, it was the wrong time to make adjustments like that. If he'd had his head on the inside of the bars (in line with the left mirror, or even further over), he'd have had a much larger safety margin at that speed.

Edit - I thought that section of road looked familiar - it's mentioned in the comments, but there's also a bump in that turn that takes out a ton of riders. Perfect storm.

Edited by NYTransplant
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, ajax said:

What do you think?

Looks to me like pilot completely unweighted their inside peg and you don't want to do that as it drops the bike into the corner (kind of counter-intuitively).

edit: imo my explanation is just a more concise version of NYTransplant's

Edited by GringoSalado

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wife and I work from home a lot, and with a new 16 year old sharing our cars it’s become a little inconvenient, but not “have to have 3rd car bad”. I’m looking at a Thruxton 900 to commute to the office 2’ish days per week when I don’t WFH and random errands close to home. Commute is from West Lake Hills to Hyde Park / Quadrangle area meaning i could skip Mopac and take Exposition or Lamar to 35th/38th. I’ve done lots of road cycling and can appreciate idiot drivers, but from a motorcycle safety standpoint, what is worse, highway or tarry town/s lamar type riding ?

• Like 1

In my opinion you’re much more likely to get in a wreck riding city streets but obviously the consequences of a highway wreck are much more severe.  Be extremely careful during left turns, especially when it’s unprotected (blinking yellow arrow) and assume anyone coming the other direction can’t see you.   I believe that’s the number one killer. 

Get good safety gear, especially for in the heat where you’re more inclined to leave it at home during the summer…so a good ventilated + armored jacket, ventilated and armored gloves, good boots, nice helmet.  

Have you taken the MSF?  Gotta ensure you’re comfortable riding first and it’s the best way to get your M endorsement.  Reading about that 900 it seems like a good starter bike, but you’ll want to sit on it first to ensure it fits you well before locking in on what you’re going to buy…especially as the bars look low so if you’re tall you’ll be hunched over into the wind. 

When I used to ride, especially on surface streets, I was always evaluating where to be in the lane…stuff like: coming up to a stop assume the center is slick from water/oil so I’d try to stay left where my tires and boot won’t come to a stop on it, if I see someone waiting to pull out into traffic I’d choose the side furthest away from them, or if riding with traffic stay away from the car next to me assuming they may swerve into me, etc.  

My MSF instructor said “I want to know what’s in every side street, alley and driveway I’m passing…so head on a swivel”   

On the highway I’d prefer the side closest to the breakdown lane…give yourself an exit if you get cutoff or there’s an accident in front of you…turning and braking at the same time on a motorcycle is a good way to use up all your traction and low side.  

I’d also lane split through toll booths when able and saved myself some bucks so what do I know.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 5:07 AM, Axle Hongsnort said:

Wife and I work from home a lot, and with a new 16 year old sharing our cars it’s become a little inconvenient, but not “have to have 3rd car bad”. I’m looking at a Thruxton 900 to commute to the office 2’ish days per week when I don’t WFH and random errands close to home. Commute is from West Lake Hills to Hyde Park / Quadrangle area meaning i could skip Mopac and take Exposition or Lamar to 35th/38th. I’ve done lots of road cycling and can appreciate idiot drivers, but from a motorcycle safety standpoint, what is worse, highway or tarry town/s lamar type riding ?

You just have to have your head on a fucking swivel...and basically imagine yourself invisible. Defensive driving doesn't even begin to describe it. But,  it's also great. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 7:07 AM, Axle Hongsnort said:

Follow up on this, did you end up with the Thruxton, and running around town on it?  Thoughts?  I've got the bug again.  My dad promised me we could get a motorcycle some day.  Probably 45 years ago.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:39 AM, CycleTex87 said:

Follow up on this, did you end up with the Thruxton, and running around town on it?  Thoughts?  I've got the bug again.  My dad promised me we could get a motorcycle some day.  Probably 45 years ago.

Username checks out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, Goodman said:

I bought one of those new in 1980. Put 1,800 miles on it in two years, then quit altogether. I think one of my sons has it now stored in his garage. 
Recently found the sales invoice:

5D2F0FCE-7489-4218-A841-6C537D2A53E6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

My first street bike and my most recent street bike. The R1 got upgraded with an ECU flash from Superbike Unlimited and a 3/4 Akrapovic exhaust. 

5BBC6623-19AA-450E-9CE5-A9DE56E98A99.jpeg

Holy shit.  ‘85 Magna V65 was my first road bike, too.  Picked it up in the mid ‘90s off a guy in Austin for $1800 IIRC.  The bike had been drag raced at one time - holes were drilled for nitrous and the rear rim had holes drilled in it to bolt on the tire to prevent slippage.  I put over 20k miles on it.  Rode it to damn near Alaska and back (running into grizzlies motorcycle camping is fun!).  All said, rode through 26 western and south eastern states plus three Canadian provinces.  That engine was bullet proof.  110 miles per tank was a beating, though, on 600 mile days.  I miss that bike.

19 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

Holy shit.  ‘85 Magna V65 was my first road bike, too.  Picked it up in the mid ‘90s off a guy in Austin for $1800 IIRC.  The bike had been drag raced at one time - holes were drilled for nitrous and the rear rim had holes drilled in it to bolt on the tire to prevent slippage.  I put over 20k miles on it.  Rode it to damn near Alaska and back (running into grizzlies motorcycle camping is fun!).  All said, rode through 26 western and south eastern states plus three Canadian provinces.  That engine was bullet proof.  110 miles per tank was a beating, though, on 600 mile days.  I miss that bike.

This is why I bought the ‘83.

The shaft drive was interesting. Yeah, the range was less than stellar but at my size, even then, I didn’t mind getting off a bike a little more often.

I think I miss it more than any of my others. A bike that could do 10s, even if it took a pro, was brutally fast way back then. Given my preference for Yamahas since then, it’s a miracle I never had a VMax. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Posted (edited)

My soon to be 18 year old son is buying a bike.  His mom and I begged him not to but even with financial dis-incentives he's going to be 18, has a job and free tuition so not much we can do. I could maybe push him off for a few years but eventually he is going to get one and be pissed off.  So my choice was to fight him or join him and learn to ride safely and together.  So add me to the motorcycle owner list.  Took my class last Tues/Wed bought this Saturday.  Finishing paperwork this afternoon.  2024 Kawasaki Eliminatore SE ABS.  It's a 451.  Looked like a perfect beginner bike.  Matches my car

PXL_20240315_204432988.thumb.jpg.7a6fcd93c51d4e62adc2d2728efbddab.jpg

PXL_20240301_195113162.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1