Motorcycle Fanatics Thread

stupolvo

20 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

Kinda sorta in the market for a used Adventure 950.

Older pic of current scooter, (also have added a '12 450f, don't have any pics of that though):

Pic didn't come through... Thinking of selling the KTM, just don't ride enough to justify 2 bikes right now.

Loving the Ducati, retro Suzuki, and KTM.  (well the other post the pics didnt show up).  

if i ever get around to getting a license, id fancy a retro Honda CB, SV650, or a KTM Duke, and eventually BMW dual-sport...

Sold my 2006 Ninja 650R (EX650, not to be confused with the 4-cylinder rockets), last year...no ragrets. Told all my friends I’d do it when I had young kids, I was only riding it sporadically, we weren’t doing group rides outside ROT anymore, and started having friends go down.

Still, I miss it...like I miss diving...that mix of technical challenge, sensory overload, thrill and slight danger. Additionally, both my dive training and m-endorsement course had people who had zero business doing it, for whatever reason (not taking it seriously, no coordination, can’t breath through their mouth, etc).

So be safe out there guys, and carve a line for me while you’re at it.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 9:31 AM, Homercles said:

Sold my 2006 Ninja 650R (EX650, not to be confused with the 4-cylinder rockets), last year...no ragrets. Told all my friends I’d do it when I had young kids, I was only riding it sporadically, we weren’t doing group rides outside ROT anymore, and started having friends go down.

Still, I miss it...like I miss diving...that mix of technical challenge, sensory overload, thrill and slight danger. Additionally, both my dive training and m-endorsement course had people who had zero business doing it, for whatever reason (not taking it seriously, no coordination, can’t breath through their mouth, etc).

So be safe out there guys, and carve a line for me while you’re at it.

I've been thinking of selling my 2006 Ninja 650R, though I'd just be upgrading bikes. I'd really like something with newer tech (like ABS, stability control, etc.)

I'm looking to try motorcycling and wondering what a good starter cruiser bike you guys would recommend.  

I plan on casual weekend cruising on paved roads.  No way I'm brave enough to fight traffic on an interstate into work or anything like that. I figure I'm either going to love it and trade up to a nice model or not like it and get rid of it completely so I'm looking for something cheap that I can easily sell in a year without losing my ass.  Basically the Toyota Camry of cruisers.  

Someone I know suggested a used Honda Rebel 500 and that looks like it will fit the bill but wanted to see if you experts have other suggestions.  I'm 6'1" 230 pounds and have never ridden a big bike before if any of that affects your advice.

Thanks in advance.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, Not a cat said:

I'm looking to try motorcycling and wondering what a good starter cruiser bike you guys would recommend.  

I plan on casual weekend cruising on paved roads.  No way I'm brave enough to fight traffic on an interstate into work or anything like that. I figure I'm either going to love it and trade up to a nice model or not like it and get rid of it completely so I'm looking for something cheap that I can easily sell in a year without losing my ass.  Basically the Toyota Camry of cruisers.  

Someone I know suggested a used Honda Rebel 500 and that looks like it will fit the bill but wanted to see if you experts have other suggestions.  I'm 6'1" 230 pounds and have never ridden a big bike before if any of that affects your advice.

Thanks in advance.

There are many options out there. I would suggest knowing what style you want and find something within that genre(sorta say). The more you get acclimated with the feel of that type of bike, the better off you will be when it comes time to upgrade. Riding a bike is riding a bike. But a lot of it is about feel, fit, and comfort. If I were to switch from a cruiser to a street bike without ever riding one, it probably wouldn't be good. And I would hate for you to learn on one type and upgrade to a different type only to drop it because you are not used to it.

You will need something with some power to keep up and have the ability to pass. Considering your size you should look around in the 650-800cc range for a beginner bike if you are gonna cruise the streets. 500cc might be just a tad too small but it should be ok for putting around the block.

A couple of examples....

Cruiser=Honda Rebel 500/ Kawasaki Vulcan S 650/ Harley Sportster 883

Street=Honda CBR 500/ Kawasaki Ninja 650/ Yamaha FZ-09

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 2:27 PM, Liteitup said:

Yamaha Super Tenere and a motarded KTM 450 EXC29a3757fff9043a0e00bd3d35ce08267.jpg081ce03981fea4a0cb8da798ed40624e.jpg

Nice - Here's my Super Ten. Only have one bike, but would like to get a Bonneville or something similar for a better commuter. Previous ones were a BMW F800ST and R75/6. Wish I still had the latter.

20170622131639.jpg

On 5/21/2018 at 11:58 AM, 52-80 said:

Loving the Ducati, retro Suzuki, and KTM.  (well the other post the pics didnt show up).  

if i ever get around to getting a license, id fancy a retro Honda CB, SV650, or a KTM Duke, and eventually BMW dual-sport...

If anyone loves old Honda, I highly recommend following Fitz Garage on Insta

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 7:38 PM, Not a cat said:

Thanks in advance.

Early 2000s  Honda Nighthawk 750.   You can get them for about 2k and will run forever and you wont care when you drop it in a parking lot when you do it.

Thanks for all the replies.   Last week I bought a 2009 suzuki boulevard s40. Not the most manly bike but  cheap, 652 cc, and light. I've been riding it around the neighborhood the last week and it is fun.  I'll be upgrading to a big boy bike next year. 

On 6/24/2018 at 6:31 AM, Not a cat said:

Thanks for all the replies.   Last week I bought a 2009 suzuki boulevard s40. Not the most manly bike but  cheap, 652 cc, and light. I've been riding it around the neighborhood the last week and it is fun.  I'll be upgrading to a big boy bike next year. 

Maybe I missed it but have you taken a rider's course? Licensed? 

No rider's course.  It might be a dumb decision but I'm just learning by doing

In my state (Minnesota), you can pass a written test and get a learner's permit to ride with some restrictions (must wear helmet, no riding at night, etc.).  Then when you are good enough you can take a riding test and get fully licensed.  

I went and passed the written test, bought a motorcycle and helmet, had them deliver it to my house.  First couple of days I never strayed more than a few blocks on the residential streets around my neighborhood working on starting, shifting to second and stopping.  I've gradually gone a a little further away each time as I've gotten more comfortable and am hitting streets with some light traffic where I can get up to 45 or so.  I'm still nervous as hell around any cars so it'll be a while before I go on any highways at higher speeds.

27 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Rider's course is worth the money. It will cover more than just the basics you are practicing.

This....I rode for 20 plus years before taking the course. Was amazed at how many things I was doing incorrectly. ..and still do due to rote recall. Counter steering and slow speed maneuvering are best pounded into your muscle/mind memory early.

MSF and additional training are well worth it. It's also worth checking out the books Twist of the Wrist and Total Control. If you have a wife, kids, or even a dog depending on you, you should do your best to learn everything about riding. Everyone on the road has the ability to kill you, and many of them seemed hell bent on completing the job. The more skills you have to keep this from happening, the better.

Edited by NYTransplant

26 minutes ago, NYTransplant said:

. Everyone on the road has the ability to kill you, and many of them seemed hell bent on completing the job. The more skills you have to keep this from happening, the better.

Truth.

You will also get a first person view of how awful most drivers truly are.

In college my Jeep was totaled by a drunk driver, so while I argued w/ my insurance co. I rocked one of these for a few semesters:

Vespa%20P200E%2077%2002.jpg

(still have it btw)

And I used to ride it down the sidewalks when I could because fuck me your average driver is a blind idiot. Since then I've ridden and raced a ton on dirt and a little bit on pavement but I'm still too risk averse to ride street.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
The 3 biggest things are:

Keep your eyes scanning at all times.

Always anticipate something. Especially on turns and intersections.

Always put distance between yourself and everyone else.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Minor tips

Don’t stay in a vehicles blind spot

Be cognizant of how draft and bow waves come off large trucks

Try not to ride or stop in the middle of a lane, that’s where coolant/water/oil drip and it’ll greatly impact your ability to stop...I always churned in my head which side of the lane was safest while plotting where I’d go if I had to change lanes suddenly

Google ‘master strategy group motorcycles’ as that website is full of great tips

Learn how to use the rear brake for stability in slow turns and how to transition from front to rear brakes for a smooth, controlled stop

If you lock the rear, do not release suddenly to avoid a high side

Always do a quick walk around before riding to check for anything in the tires, leaks, loose items, etc.

Wear proper gear. Don’t be that idiot riding in shorts, sandals and no helmet. Get a ventilated jacket and gloves.

Tuck you boot laces inside so they don’t get loose and hung up on the shift pedal when coming to a stop...learner that the hard way in MSF.

Another tough lesson...if you spray any kind of aerosol or work with any slick liquids near your bike, sandpaper the sidewalls before riding so the rear doesn’t spin out from under you when turning and accelerating from a stop.

So not sit on the bike when gassing up, if it ignites you gotta get out of there in a hurry.

Cover your front brake with a couple fingers when riding in traffic so you can grab it quickly if needed

Learn how to adjust your clutch and brake cables if they’re not hydraulic. They stretch and can dramatically change engagement points.

In group riding the most experienced person should ride in back to observe. Ride in a staggered formation so you have room in front. If leading set a pace conducive to everyone behind you and use signals so the rear can ‘close the door’ for others to make space for a lane change.

Do not sit on anyone else’s bike without asking.

Keep your high beam on during the day

At the ROT rally the number one rule is do not hit another bike. Learn the colors of Bandidos and their support clubs, give them a wide berth. Masturbate a lot with your left hand to keep it strong so you can maintain clutch control in the huge traffic jams.

Do not drink and ride. Period.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 7:34 AM, Homercles said:

Minor tips

Don’t stay in a vehicles blind spot

Be cognizant of how draft and bow waves come off large trucks

Try not to ride or stop in the middle of a lane, that’s where coolant/water/oil drip and it’ll greatly impact your ability to stop...I always churned in my head which side of the lane was safest while plotting where I’d go if I had to change lanes suddenly

Google ‘master strategy group motorcycles’ as that website is full of great tips

Learn how to use the rear brake for stability in slow turns and how to transition from front to rear brakes for a smooth, controlled stop

If you lock the rear, do not release suddenly to avoid a high side

Always do a quick walk around before riding to check for anything in the tires, leaks, loose items, etc.

Wear proper gear. Don’t be that idiot riding in shorts, sandals and no helmet. Get a ventilated jacket and gloves.

Tuck you boot laces inside so they don’t get loose and hung up on the shift pedal when coming to a stop...learner that the hard way in MSF.

Another tough lesson...if you spray any kind of aerosol or work with any slick liquids near your bike, sandpaper the sidewalls before riding so the rear doesn’t spin out from under you when turning and accelerating from a stop.

So not sit on the bike when gassing up, if it ignites you gotta get out of there in a hurry.

Cover your front brake with a couple fingers when riding in traffic so you can grab it quickly if needed

Learn how to adjust your clutch and brake cables if they’re not hydraulic. They stretch and can dramatically change engagement points.

In group riding the most experienced person should ride in back to observe. Ride in a staggered formation so you have room in front. If leading set a pace conducive to everyone behind you and use signals so the rear can ‘close the door’ for others to make space for a lane change.

Do not sit on anyone else’s bike without asking.

Keep your high beam on during the day

At the ROT rally the number one rule is do not hit another bike. Learn the colors of Bandidos and their support clubs, give them a wide berth. Masturbate a lot with your left hand to keep it strong so you can maintain clutch control in the huge traffic jams.

Do not drink and ride. Period.

Blinker on for a right off ramp exit Sunday afternoon....light traffic running 60 speed limit...a stupid bitch right side undercuts me and flips me off from a foot away.  Some people have a constant attitude about bikes.

2 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

Did the dumbass stick around or haul ass?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

...had to bail off back onto the freeway....she hauled ass down the side feeder. Was lucky there was no one in the lane behind her. I was in no man's land when she dived by....nuts.

Edited by noharleyyet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:11 PM, NateHitch said:

Sold my 77 triumph when my first son was born and have been kicking myself ever since. Finally getting another motorcycle. It's a BMW K100 that's been converted to a cafe racer. Haven't ridden in 20 years so going to take it slow but I'm excited 6c4aa3e5eea490b95ad6387214a3ef62.jpg

I want that. Can you post some additional pictures when you have a chance?

Edited by Scooter Monzingo

This is the most recent pic I've taken. She was more of a project than I realized but it'd been sitting for 2 years. But after changing all the filters, having the fuel injectors serviced, changing the rear brake master cylinder, rebuilding the alternator and otherwise pulling my hair out she runs like a beast. Wired up a horn to hopefully pass inspection and all should be good then1334b79681be658a497ed91817ae431d.jpg