YouTube TV

Asithappens

Good price (vs. satellite)

Good channel lineup

Unlimited DVR

No LHN

cancel any time

easy to watch on all your devices

they’re squabbling with NBC Universal right now, so there’s a threat they might lose the NBC channels for sometime. Those things usually blow over though or work themselves out.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's easily the best of the live TV streaming services overall. But If I wasn't on my brother's family share, not sure I would get it. Really goes for the competition. Seems like we've gone full circle back to returning to cable companies. 

It's easily been the best cable service I've ever had. Watch your shit anywhere (helps when you travel a lot) and on any device. Very good sports lineup other than no LHN. Very good DVR (again, accessible anywhere). Takes 5 minutes to sign up or cancel. Downside is that the price has crept up, but still much cheaper than traditional cable. I can also watch it on my Tesla's screen, which is pretty cool. It is easy enough to cancel after the free trial if you don't like it. It helps to have a good streaming stick since the native interface may be slow or not work at all on certain TVs.  FYI, if you're using Roku, you access it through the YouTube app (same way I access it in my car). They had a spat with Roku about the separate Youtube TV app, so google worked around it that way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, YChang said:

It's easily the best of the live TV streaming services overall. But If I wasn't on my brother's family share, not sure I would get it. Really goes for the competition. Seems like we've gone full circle back to returning to cable companies. 

33 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It's easily been the best cable service I've ever had. Watch your shit anywhere (helps when you travel a lot) and on any device. Very good sports lineup other than no LHN. Very good DVR (again, accessible anywhere). Takes 5 minutes to sign up or cancel. Downside is that the price has crept up, but still much cheaper than traditional cable. I can also watch it on my Tesla's screen, which is pretty cool. It is easy enough to cancel after the free trial if you don't like it. It helps to have a good streaming stick since the native interface may be slow or not work at all on certain TVs.  FYI, if you're using Roku, you access it through the YouTube app (same way I access it in my car). They had a spat with Roku about the separate Youtube TV app, so google worked around it that way. 

Both of these.  It's far and away the best TV service I've ever had.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Both of these.  It's far and away the best TV service I've ever had.

YouTubeTV is really good other than not having a couple of sports channels that I would really like to have (ATTSW and LHN). I actually preferred Playstation Vue before they shut it down..except for the occasional technical streaming issues. If they would've worked out the kinks in the app, it would've been pretty perfect.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

How does YTTV compare with DirecTV Stream?  I just cut the cord and am saving $200 by doing what I did. I could’ve probably saved $250 by going with YTTV over DTVS, but YTTV doesn’t have LHN. But, I just noticed last night DTVS doesn’t have NFLN. 

Pretty similar. But one is gaining users and the other is flailing about, so...

3 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

YouTubeTV is really good other than not having a couple of sports channels that I would really like to have (ATTSW and LHN). I actually preferred Playstation Vue before they shut it down..except for the occasional technical streaming issues. If they would've worked out the kinks in the app, it would've been pretty perfect.

I miss PS Vue so much. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

How does YTTV compare with DirecTV Stream?  I just cut the cord and am saving $200 by doing what I did. I could’ve probably saved $250 by going with YTTV over DTVS, but YTTV doesn’t have LHN. But, I just noticed last night DTVS doesn’t have NFLN. 

I've not had a single problem with DTVS - just no NFLN.  But I also split it with 3 people and we are grandfathered in from the DirecTV Now days. 

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Do you have to rent boxes for dtvs?

No, unless something has changed.  I've been using DTV Now/AT&T TV Now/DTVS for years either via Fire Stick, Apple TV, iOS apps, etc.

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It bothers my OCD not being able to delete or really organize recordings. Everything else is better than anything I’ve had before. 

Ha!  Same here.  

Also, does anyone know how to fix this ...?

When I turn on the tv and go to the "live" screen, there's a channel playing in the background.  It's almost always a sporting event which, at times, I don't want to see because I'm running behind.  I always have to play this game where I'm making noise and avoiding seeing the score while trying to get the background screen to change.  

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

It bothers my OCD not being able to delete or really organize recordings. Everything else is better than anything I’ve had before. 

For the longest time I thought I just couldn’t figure out the UI to delete recordings. 

The integration with the chromecast TV is really cool. I use a roku on my main TV though just out of habit. I may switch soon. I don't like how small and light the chromecast remote is though, the roku at least has a little weight to it. 

Also the yttv app has been back on roku for a while if you don't want to access through the yt app. 

Edited by seven

Whatever else may come out in the future would have to be fucking fantastic for me to switch from YTTV. I've had YTTV for 3 or 4 years and have tried others, it's not close. My only qualm would be the price hikes, that comes with a great product.  I just don't want to get back to the price range where I was with satellite and cable and their bullshit packages. 

I’m probably the most frequent poster on all the other Cord Cutter threads screaming hallelujah for YouTubeTV. It’s by far the best of the live TV streaming services. HuluLive sucks complete ass with the forced commercial breaks, and the old ATT/DTV attempt was shit. The unlimited DVR capacity is amazing. I hope they don’t go nutso with the price… because I can see keeping YTTV forever.

For Knoxville upthread, I know exactly what you’re talking about… just mute your TV so you don’t hear anything you don’t want to hear, and the grayed Live template background and the schedule on the screen typically obscure any score box you might see… and yes, I kind of go out of focus a bit to make sure I’m unspoiled 🤣

Edited by Vito Andolini

14 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I attempted to pull the YTTV trigger and installed on my downstairs tv but I have the Apple tv box on that one, so it doesn't work. Says I can view YTTV but can't purchase it. 

Just buy it and create an account your phone or another device and then use that info to sign in...

29 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Just buy it and create an account your phone or another device and then use that info to sign in...

Ok, so I have a Firestick on my upstairs tv. Create the yttv account on that one, then I can sign in on my other tv (the one with the apple tv box?).

Sorry for the luddite questions....

I use my tablet, I pull up YTTV on the tablet,  then stream to my TV. You can do the same with Apple TV, or you used to be able too. When you're watching something on YTTV (tablet) top right on your screen will be a small square tab, hit that and it'll stream to your TV 

Just now, Grimas said:

When you try to launch the app, it should tell you to go to a website (on the tv) and to put in the code that is displayed on the tv to activate that tv to your account

That didn't work for me on my TV, took me straight to the yttv app. Code worked for HBO max though.

YouTubeTV, Too Much Information edition…

Watching the Dallas game, and my natural biological function kicked in, so I fired up the YTTV app on my iPad, it loaded in about five seconds, already knew what I was watching, and I clicked on it and had the game on while I went to the head. Modern technology, ain’t it great.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Watching the Dallas game, and my natural biological function kicked in, so I fired up the YTTV app on my iPad, it loaded in about five seconds, already knew what I was watching, and I clicked on it and had the game on while I went to the head. Modern technology, ain’t it great.

You can expect toilet paper ads on all your Google related content now.  

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 1

Glad I'm not the only one who shits like that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

yeah I switched to YTTV to save money on cable but honestly I would pay more for it versus regular cable everything else equal.  I'm trapped in my office while the baby naps watching redzone on my laptop screen. if I'm moving around the house I'll bring my ipad if I'm watching a game. I took the baby on a walk during the arkansas game and had it running on my phone. last one was a mistake but I love that screens are just screens and I can watch TV on any of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:23 PM, seven said:

The integration with the chromecast TV is really cool. I use a roku on my main TV though just out of habit. I may switch soon. I don't like how small and light the chromecast remote is though, the roku at least has a little weight to it. 

Also the yttv app has been back on roku for a while if you don't want to access through the yt app. 

This isn't true for me.  I bought my Roku Ultra devices right after the feud with Google started, so I've never had the YTTV channel, and it still doesn't show up in search.  I have always been able to watch it via the regular YT channel, but I'm looking forward to not having to do that at some point.

20 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

In that scenario, can you pause the game on YTTV and then fast forward once the game goes to commercial to catch back up?

23 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

In that scenario, can you pause the game on YTTV and then fast forward once the game goes to commercial to catch back up?

Absolutely, the UI acts as a DVR for anything you watch. I just had the option to stay live, so I did. You can even watch on one TV, shut it down and go to a different TV (provided it has YTTV) and “Reaume from last watch.” 

Google has its shit together.

The new 4K content looks really good on YTTV as well, there just isn’t enough of it for me keep paying $10 a month, $20 after 12 months. There are only a couple of 4K games each weekend. Once most football (and futbol) games are in 4K I’ll probably take the plunge.

I've only had YTTV for a month, and generally I like it. When I still had my DirecTV service, I did a pretty careful A/B comparison of picture quality of live TV over satellite and over YTTV and I came to the conclusion that YTTV video tends to be a little more compressed, although it varies network to network and event to event. I also echo what others said above about not being able to delete something from your DVR library. Also, it does take me about 5-7 seconds to change channels or switch from one stream to another--that may be related to my own internet speed and/or hardware (Roku). But it's much cheaper than DirecTV so I'm still pretty satisfied.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The new 4K content looks really good on YTTV as well, there just isn’t enough of it for me keep paying $10 a month, $20 after 12 months. There are only a couple of 4K games each weekend. Once most football (and futbol) games are in 4K I’ll probably take the plunge.

Yeah, I used it for the free month but not worth the price. 

I've only had YTTV for a month, and generally I like it. When I still had my DirecTV service, I did a pretty careful A/B comparison of picture quality of live TV over satellite and over YTTV and I came to the conclusion that YTTV video tends to be a little more compressed, although it varies network to network and event to event. I also echo what others said above about not being able to delete something from your DVR library. Also, it does take me about 5-7 seconds to change channels or switch from one stream to another--that may be related to my own internet speed and/or hardware (Roku). But it's much cheaper than DirecTV so I'm still pretty satisfied.

YTTV responds much more quickly on a Fire Stick than a Roku. I have both and the Roku interface is better but the FS is much faster. Channel changes take about a second.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Changing channel speed is something you have to sacrifice when you go from a more traditional service to streaming, but the good far outweighs the less good. And you can’t just type in a number on your remote and go to that channel. I do a lot of scrolling, but it’s usually easier to go to “Home” and find a recently viewed channel. The quirks take a bit of time to get used to, but getting used to $65 a month as opposed to almost $200 for that DirecTV trash… with the ability to watch it in every room (with a stick) or on a tablet/phone is a trade off I’m happy to make.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, idigTexas said:

This isn't true for me.  I bought my Roku Ultra devices right after the feud with Google started, so I've never had the YTTV channel, and it still doesn't show up in search.  I have always been able to watch it via the regular YT channel, but I'm looking forward to not having to do that at some point.

Interesting. Mine said it was unavailable in the thumbnail for a while but I never deleted it. Eventually started working again. 

On 10/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, Grimas said:

What happens when you launch the app on your fire stick?

It works great on my fire stick. Got it up and running a couple of days ago and even figured out the dvr.  :)

Now I gotta see if I can bring it up on my apple tv. It says that I can view it, but can't pay for it on the apple tv. So.... I'll find out.

You can also change your channel lineup/listing order and put your frequent channels at the top. Frequently with fire tv I find that using the voice control is quicker than flipping around.

One nifty thing opening up yttv on an iPad just now (as I finished putting the kitchen back together and headed upstairs) is this display for sports.

E157B7ED-4799-4255-B270-043093028F37.thumb.jpeg.8dd42ce90f6b801a9ff2106328b2555b.jpeg

i haven’t tried it but I think they have an option where it will catch you up to what has happened in a game - just show you key plays until you get caught up to live

for sports - I think yttv is probably… 15-30 seconds behind conventional cable? Like, you might see a “WTF!” comment if you’re refreshing Twitter or keeping up with the game thread a tad before you see whatever play prompted it. Not by a lot though. Also, if you’re watching on multiple TVs in nearby spaces they might drift slightly. Maybe one buffered for a second or something. Again, not by a lot or anything but if you’re going for synchronized sound from two TVs/two streaming devices it can be a little tricky.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, seven said:

Interesting. Mine said it was unavailable in the thumbnail for a while but I never deleted it. Eventually started working again. 

Ah, that's a different scenario.  It was never removed from devices that had it before the spat with Google.  My Roku devices have never had the YTTV channel because I bought them while negotiations were ongoing.  I expect to be able to add them at some point, but at least I have always been able to use the YT>YTTV option.  

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s worth it for unlimited streams…..Hint hint 

I get around the unlimited streams using the individual apps like ESPN+. I’ve never run into a real stream limit issue even on football party days. I’m pretty sure I’ve had six TVs going at once. It helps that wives and kids don’t watch much YTTV, they are usually on YT or other streaming apps.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I get around the unlimited streams using the individual apps like ESPN+. I’ve never run into a real stream limit issue even on football party days. I’m pretty sure I’ve had six TVs going at once. It helps that wives and kids don’t watch much YTTV, they are usually on YT or other streaming apps.

This fucking guy knows how to entertain 

image.gif.d03a4f994b5f15a6e18a1b07a1a44dcc.gif

• Like 1