YouTube TV

Asithappens

Does the YTTV account come with a login for ESPN+, and can I get the LHN that way? More specifically, to Longhorn games ON the LHN (I don't really care about all the other programming, just the ability to watch the games).

Separately, I pay for the Disney/Hulu bundle. Does THAT get me an ESPN+ login, with access to the LHN to watch Horns games?

4 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Does the YTTV account come with a login for ESPN+, and can I get the LHN that way? More specifically, to Longhorn games ON the LHN (I don't really care about all the other programming, just the ability to watch the games).

Separately, I pay for the Disney/Hulu bundle. Does THAT get me an ESPN+ login, with access to the LHN to watch Horns games?

ESPN+ doesn’t give you access to LHN. For LHN you have to have a traditional provider or ATT streaming service.

For the number of games that are on the LHN each year, it's easy enough to find it for free on the internet and stream it to your tv from a phone or laptop.  It's only going to be an issue for a couple more years because those games will be on the SECN in the future which is on YTTV.

• Hook 'Em 1

Find a relative with old school cable, like a Spectrum or Suddenlink, and get their login to their web services (if they are an old, they may not even have this set up, so you are doing them a favor). Use this to log into the ESPN app on Roku or Fire, and watch the LHN that way. Be sure to save that login information, because those assholes seemingly make you re-login every few times you use it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to type ESPN.com/activate in my browser and enter the code, but it allows me to watch the few games, pre and post game shows and the Sark newser on Monday.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:54 AM, Buzzrock said:

I get around the unlimited streams using the individual apps like ESPN+. I’ve never run into a real stream limit issue even on football party days. I’m pretty sure I’ve had six TVs going at once. It helps that wives and kids don’t watch much YTTV, they are usually on YT or other streaming apps.

not as good when splitting with family in two other cities

49 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Find a relative with old school cable, like a Spectrum or Suddenlink, and get their login to their web services (if they are an old, they may not even have this set up, so you are doing them a favor). Use this to log into the ESPN app on Roku or Fire, and watch the LHN that way. Be sure to save that login information, because those assholes seemingly make you re-login every few times you use it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to type ESPN.com/activate in my browser and enter the code, but it allows me to watch the few games, pre and post game shows and the Sark newser on Monday.

Love this. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 10:15 PM, Celery Man said:

but if you’re going for synchronized sound from two TVs/two streaming devices it can be a little tricky.

Turn the volume off on one and blast it on the other.  One picture will look dubbed, but I definitely have paused football games in one room to see how close I could get to matching the stream in the adjacent room.  Fun for a minute or two during commercials.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, kevwun said:

For the number of games that are on the LHN each year, it's easy enough to find it for free on the internet and stream it to your tv from a phone or laptop.  It's only going to be an issue for a couple more years because those games will be on the SECN in the future which is on YTTV.

Vidgo for a trial period, or I think it was $10 for a month this year, is a cheap, temporary way to watch home games on LHN.  Quality and reliability is good.

• 2 weeks later...

There are rumblings Google is going to pull the YouTube app from the Roku channel store on Dec 9.  I found this out today when I was looking at switching permanently from Dish and signed up for a YouTube TV trial so I could watch the F1 race today.  Is an Amazon Fire stick the best option if this happens?  Apple TV devices are too expensive to hook up multiple televisions.

Edited by kevwun

On 10/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, Vito Andolini said:

It went through a period where it was doing that every time I switched games.  Fucking maddening.

15 hours ago, kevwun said:

There are rumblings Google is going to pull the YouTube app from the Roku channel store on Dec 9.  I found this out today when I was looking at switching permanently from Dish and signed up for a YouTube TV trial so I could watch the F1 race today.  Is an Amazon Fire stick the best option if this happens?  Apple TV devices are too expensive to hook up multiple televisions.

An Amazon Fire device will serve your purposes well, though be aware all these mega companies get in pissing matches at some point, so don’t be surprised if one day, It’s Amazon vs. Google: I recall both Amazon and Roku wouldn’t allow HBO Max on their devices for months, maybe a year or more. Google/YouTube/YouTubeTV does seem to be digging in deep with Roku lately. It must be mentioned during the YTTV/Roku skirmish, Roku wasn’t pulling existing YTTV channels from users selections, just not allowing it to be added for new users. If you get your Roku and have YouTube installed before 12/9, you might be good. 

I’ve never had an AppleTV device, so I don’t know how expensive they are. Fire Sticks and Roku’s can be had for $25 or less, especially with Black Friday deals. Good luck! (And, yes, dumping satellite will be the best thing you do this year.)

• Hook 'Em 1

I am going to hold off on switching over until I see what the fallout is going to be.  I really like YouTube TV and the ease of using it anywhere with any device, but these fucking contract squabbles are getting to be a beating so I'm not in a hurry to switch to another company that is constantly having them.   I am going to roll with both for a month or 2 until football season is done at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, kevwun said:

Fire stick is fine. The Apple TV’s really are significantly better but honestly anything other than Roku is a good option

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I am going to hold off on switching over until I see what the fallout is going to be.  I really like YouTube TV and the ease of using it anywhere with any device, but these fucking contract squabbles are getting to be a beating so I'm not in a hurry to switch to another company that is constantly having them.   I am going to roll with both for a month or 2 until football season is done at least.

One good great thing about the streamers is canceling at any time, so if there is a pissing match, you can leave and try a different one. But YTTV is by far the best. HuluTV sucks with the forced ads. Sling needs to combine their two versions to be competitive. I haven’t seen any reviews for the “new” DirecTV streaming service, but I have my doubts.

DirecTV and Dish should have been all over offering a streaming version of their products.  Dish doesn't even offer it and DirecTV's sucks ass because AT&T can fuck up anyting.  There is a killing to be made there which is why I don't understand Google's squabble with Roku.  They should be after subscription numbers instead of caring how people access their service. 

Edited by kevwun

Google can fuck with them because 1) they can, due to ridiculously deep pockets, and they want the Roku user’s search preferences  2) it’s Christmas shopping season, and buyers will be considering whether to buy a Fire Stick or Roku or Apple TV (like you), and Roku might be more willing to cave 3) TV sellers who’ve aligned with Roku and have it built in will no doubt apply whatever pressure they can to Roku to settle this. These assholes play serious hardball. 

On 10/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, dcbc said:

Vidgo for a trial period, or I think it was $10 for a month this year, is a cheap, temporary way to watch home games on LHN.  Quality and reliability is good.

That's fine for the 2 football games a year but not really doable for the 50+ other games I watch every year.  Any other way to get the LHN without having to borrow someone else's login for a standard cable/satellite provider?

I’m starting to soften on my love of Roku after having used a Fire Stick for awhile. The Fire Stick is much faster and offers more information on the Home Screen, like being able to jump right back into a show I was watching no matter what service it was on. And channel changes are much faster on YTTV. If I can find some deals I may swap out three other Roku sticks I have.

The big drawback is that I like the remote listening feature of the Roku app and I don’t think Fire TV has that.

28 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You mean pressing a microphone button on the remote and asking it to perform a task, like go to a certain app, search for a title, etc.? Fire has that. I don’t use it, but they have it. You may be describing something more elaborate.

Yeah, I change channels with Alexa too (OTA channels and YTTV channels).  Since there's no "channel number", the only way you can select a channel directly without going through a guide is by voice command.  Seems to work pretty well.

You mean pressing a microphone button on the remote and asking it to perform a task, like go to a certain app, search for a title, etc.? Fire has that. I don’t use it, but they have it. You may be describing something more elaborate.

No, I mean being able to stream the audio to my iPhone and then to my AirPods for when I don’t want to disturb the family, or there is inappropriate language on and the kids are around. Great for early morning or late night viewing.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:07 PM, Buzzrock said:

No, I mean being able to stream the audio to my iPhone and then to my AirPods for when I don’t want to disturb the family, or there is inappropriate language on and the kids are around. Great for early morning or late night viewing.

You can connect the audio directly from fire stick to Bluetooth headphones. 

• Like 1

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Only issue with Apple TV other than the price is the remote sucks. I like that the charge lasts for months but they took the simplification of controls way too far.

The new remote looks like a nice upgrade.  Way more physical buttons. I’ve shattered the current remote on concrete floors just like an iPhone screen multiple times . 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The new remote looks like a nice upgrade.  Way more physical buttons. I’ve shattered the current remote on concrete floors just like an iPhone screen multiple times . 

I didn't know that existed. If it works with existing Apple TVs, I'm getting it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dumped Comcast for YTTV. Wish I had done it a long time ago. 

Much cheaper. Much better. 

Have an OLED TV in living room and watching YTTV through Apple Tv box is incredible compared to that throttled down cable signal. 

Record all football games and next day watch key plays. Its sweet. And the Apple Tv remote fast forward button is pretty seamless so I dont watch many huddles. 

More than anything the picture quality is key. Amazing for the money. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I got the new Chrome Cast with Google TV. $90 and came with $80 of Netflix discounts (just credits on my account equal to 6 months of standard Netflix).  It is so much better than the Roku it replaced. Very fast and the remote looks nice too. Integrated really well with all the services I use, including YTTV. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I got the new Chrome Cast with Google TV. $90 and came with $80 of Netflix discounts (just credits on my account equal to 6 months of standard Netflix).  It is so much better than the Roku it replaced. Very fast and the remote looks nice too. Integrated really well with all the services I use, including YTTV. 

damn... I like Roku a lot... going to pick one of the new Chrome Casts up on Black Friday. I'm hoping I feel the same as really want to settle on something and was about to go Roku until the YTTV issue... Fire devices just not as good as they used to be anymore and new fire interface is worse than what it replaced.

That does look pretty slick.  With Google TV you can view all your series from one spot and don't have to switch apps between all of the streaming services?  That's the best idea ever.  Is there a monthly charge for that or is it you just have to buy the more expensive Chrome Cast that has it included?

Edited by kevwun

48 minutes ago, kevwun said:

With Google TV you can view all your series from one spot and don't have to switch apps between all of the streaming services?

Yes and no.  The Google TV homepage will pull and organize content from multiple services.  You will still need to add the apps and sign into them.  For example, if you search for and select"WandaVision," it will immediately launch Disney+ and take you to the show.  You don't have to manually open Disney+ and find WandaVison. Difficult to describe but it works really well.  I also really like how it will list YTTV's channels like the "guide" we're all accustomed to from cable/sat. More intuitive than YTTV's own guide.

Also, it connects FAR easier to AirPods, etc than Roku.

Just make sure you get "Chromecast with Google TV."  It's $50, and, like @Dahobbs said, you can bundle a few months of Netflix or HBOMax at a pretty good discount.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

That does look pretty slick.  With Google TV you can view all your series from one spot and don't have to switch apps between all of the streaming services?  That's the best idea ever.  Is there a monthly charge for that or is it you just have to buy the more expensive Chrome Cast that has it included?

I went looking at via Google store your can bundle with either HBOMax or Netflix and basically get account credit with either of those services if existing user.

I'm already on Netflix and no matter the plan you are on you will get an $83.94 account credit with Netflix for purchasing the Chromecast bundle for $90... so $6 + shipping = $13 delivered... I ordered one.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yes and no.  The Google TV homepage will pull and organize content from multiple services.  You will still need to add the apps and sign into them.  For example, if you search for and select"WandaVision," it will immediately launch Disney+ and take you to the show.  You don't have to manually open Disney+ and find WandaVison. Difficult to describe but it works really well.  I also really like how it will list YTTV's channels like the "guide" we're all accustomed to from cable/sat. More intuitive than YTTV's own guide.

Also, it connects FAR easier to AirPods, etc than Roku.

Just make sure you get "Chromecast with Google TV."  It's $50, and, like @Dahobbs said, you can bundle a few months of Netflix or HBOMax at a pretty good discount.

They're basically desktop shortcuts.  Still better than nothing.  The biggest pain in the ass is keeping track of new episodes.  If it lets you know when new episodes are available, that would be a major plus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, Dahobbs said:

You were right. I got mine and it blows my Roku and Fire TV's out of the water... way faster interface and remote is even better than Roku which I also like.

About to order a couple more and can stack up to 3 Netflix bundles per person.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You were right. I got mine and it blows my Roku and Fire TV's out of the water... way faster interface and remote is even better than Roku which I also like.

About to order a couple more and can stack up to 3 Netflix bundles per person.

Yeah, I'm going to order two more as well. They are just too good. Only downside is that they need an outlet and can't power from most (any?) Tv usb ports. 

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I'm going to order two more as well. They are just too good. Only downside is that they need an outlet and can't power from most (any?) Tv usb ports. 

nevermind... seen the reviews for below... doesn't appear to work on new ones yet...

Have you tried it with one of the capacitor type cords? I've had luck with their Fire sticks one, but haven't tried this one specific for Chromecast yet

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Power-Chromecast-CHROMECAST-Included/dp/B0789TXZB1 

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

50 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

nevermind... seen the reviews for below... doesn't appear to work on new ones yet...

Have you tried it with one of the capacitor type cords? I've had luck with their Fire sticks one, but haven't tried this one specific for Chromecast yet

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Power-Chromecast-CHROMECAST-Included/dp/B0789TXZB1 

I'd be shocked if those work at all. I guess theoretically it could power it for a little bit. But in reality you'd either need a battery pack or TV capable of outputting 1.5+ amps from USB. I don't know of any that can do that. 

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Apep said:

So YouTube is scrapping with Disney right before bowl season. 

PSA:  Sign up for Hulu for a trial month, so you can at least get through bowl season, if needed.

EDIT:  I was wrong; regular Hulu has a trial for a month.  Hulu with live tv has a 1 week period.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0