OU sucks game week.

Wulaw Horn

I am so looking forward to this game. I wish we did not suck as bad as we suck on defense but I do like the ability to get turnovers. I guess once you played 5 games you are who you are at this point. I would be extremely surprised if either team changes it stripes much on Saturday. So I am preparing my heart for a Stonie Clark type moment to win the game. The Cotton Bowl should be rocking all day long.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This. Any response that includes the suggestion that the defense can be counted on to do anything useful - stop the run, generate a pass rush, whatever - just means stop reading because it’s a stupid fantasyland post. That’s not going to happen. Keep them off the field.

Grinch is probably going to try to replicate the Arkansas game plan of aggressively run blitzing. Couple that with Grinch’s trademark stunts that we all know the Texas OL can’t handle, and it’s going to spell doom for over reliance on the run game and obvious passing situations. Sark is going to have to do something he didn’t do against Arkansas - make the defense pay for selling out to stop the run by attacking vacated space. And Texas is going to probably have to hit on a couple of deep balls - something it hasn’t consistently been able to do.

Make OU pay for its aggression a couple times early and it opens up the opportunity for Bijan to take over. Fail at that, it’s Arkansas part 2: meth fueled boogaloo.

Throw a screen, jet sweep, audible, slant, shuttle pass, wheel route all accomplish the same. We got plenty of weapons to make them pay. The bomb is sexy, but not necessary.

Just now, Alien Octopus said:

Throw a screen, jet sweep, audible, slant, shuttle pass, wheel route all accomplish the same. We got plenty of weapons to make them pay. The bomb is sexy, but not necessary.

Unfortunately, without looking at all the tape it feels that one needs a bomb or two to beat Oklahoma. One needs to loosen them up since they can match our speed. We always use to complain that GDGD did not go deep and OU would shutdown our play makers because the entire OU defense could live close to the line.

Not sure why y’all are so down on the defense. I know it doesnt look pretty but they have played well enough for us to be 5-0 IMO and we are currently 4-1. We obviously don’t have the talent to be as good as Georgia or Bama right now but we ain’t Swiss cheese either. Kind of just need them to be average to above average at times and get a few stops a game. Really not sure I understand some of y’all’s expectations for the D.

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Not sure why y’all are so down on the defense. I know it doesnt look pretty but they have played well enough for us to be 5-0 IMO and we are currently 4-1. We obviously don’t have the talent to be as good as Georgia or Bama right now but we ain’t Swiss cheese either. Kind of just need them to be average to above average at times and get a few stops a game. Really not sure I understand some of y’all’s expectations for the D.

I think a few people have completely memory holed the Tom/Orlando defenses and for good reason.....   LOL!    Recall how many third and longs we gave up?  Recall how many missed tackles we'd rack up on one play?   We don't have a fantastic D and certainly nothing to brag about.  But they've been getting the job done and making some stops when needed (save the Arky game) and more importantly the offense is at least doing something with those stops or turnovers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is one game where Sark needs to take some chances if we are going to win. If the plan is simply to grind it out with Bijan, we will have drives stall out and lose. Grinich will sell out to stop the run. Need to get creative with play action, deep passes over the middle, misdirection, jet sweeps, and RB screens. 

On defense, unleash Alfred Collins, use the occasional CB blitz, bring an extra LB like Overshown, stunt Ojomo, etc. Yes it's tough to sack Rattler since he gets the ball out quick, but need to at least make him uncomfortable enough that he makes a few mistakes or errant throws. Our front 4 can't generate pressure on its own. On the back end, better to tackle/grab/pull down the WR when beat for a 15 yard penalty rather than giving up the big 50 yard play.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Lol wut. There is no world where our defense played well enough to beat Arkansas. Our offense is top 5 in the country and our defense will probably be around 50th. It’s pretty clear our defense is the significantly weaker unit right now. 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This is one game where Sark needs to take some chances if we are going to win. If the plan is simply to grind it out with Bijan, we will have drives stall out and lose. Grinich will sell out to stop the run. Need to get creative with play action, deep passes over the middle, misdirection, jet sweeps, and RB screens. 

On defense, unleash Alfred Collins, use the occasional CB blitz, bring an extra LB like Overshown, stunt Ojomo, etc. Yes it's tough to sack Rattler since he gets the ball out quick, but need to at least make him uncomfortable enough that he makes a few mistakes or errant throws. Our front 4 can't generate pressure on its own. On the back end, better to tackle/grab/pull down the WR when beat for a 15 yard penalty rather than giving up the big 50 yard play.

Every team that’s had success against OU has rushed three and dropped 8 knowing Rattler will get impatient and give up the ball. Bringing extra guys will result in giving Rattler easy, wide open throws. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Lol wut. There is no world where our defense played well enough to beat Arkansas. Our offense is top 5 in the country and our defense will probably be around 50th. It’s pretty clear our defense is the significantly weaker unit right now. 

Every team that’s had success against OU has rushed three and dropped 8 knowing Rattler will get impatient and give up the ball. Bringing extra guys will result in giving Rattler easy, wide open throws. 

Normally I would agree but this pass defense is quite terrible, ranked like #70 in the nation. Those wide open throws will be there even if we drop 8. Our DBs simply do not have good coverage skills.

Just now, 6th Street said:

Normally I would agree but this pass defense is quite terrible, ranked like #70 in the nation. Those wide open throws will be there even if we drop 8. Our DBs simply do not have good coverage skills.

So that means you think we should give them less help over the top? yeah, ok.

We haven’t been getting pressure even when bringing more guys this season. Make Rattler beat what’s been working against him all season and then you can adjust more pressure if you need to, but not running what’s been giving him trouble from the jump is not a good idea. 

• Like 1

Yes but who is going to provide the help? BJ Foster isn't helping anyone over the top. Adimora looks like he's running in cement. Schooler is terrible. Jamison can't run with Mims. And I have no idea if Josh Thompson can go this week. Jerrin Thompson is really the only serviceable Safety on the team. Might as well take some chances and bring the blitz and put some pressure on them. 

39 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So I am preparing my heart for a Stonie Clark type moment to win the game. The Cotton Bowl should be rocking all day long.

Oddly enough, the ‘94 game was on LHN last night. I was in the end zone that year.  I’ve never, to this day, heard it as loud as it was for that play. 
Oh what a glorious day that was. 
I🤘🏻Stonie!

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The score at the half was 16-0, the defense kept the game well within reach for long enough. The offense couldn’t do shit for 3 quarters.  How long do you expect this defense to hold up? They aren’t world beaters but they played good enough for the offense to establish a lead in that game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Oklahoma is allowing as many sacks per game as we are and the consensus around here is our OLine sucks in pass protection. Oklahoma has taken a step back and this is definitely Riley’s worst team. It will be a close game as it has been for the last decade.
Texas has the best roster in the conference and the best coaching staff. The hard part is consistently showing that and being that team every single week. 
Doesn't matter, you can throw out rankings, perceived talent, injury reports..all of it.

Case McCoy and Tyrone muthafuckin Swoopes both sent the gooners home in tears in Mack Browns last mail it in year and Charlie's hotseat year respectively.
  • Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Unfortunately, without looking at all the tape it feels that one needs a bomb or two to beat Oklahoma. One needs to loosen them up since they can match our speed. We always use to complain that GDGD did not go deep and OU would shutdown our play makers because the entire OU defense could live close to the line.

I kind of like the idea of torturing with intermediate side line action  and making their LBs run one direction and Bijan wiggling the other way. Would even enjoy, date I say, the Counter. We cettainly have the dudes to run that and the bad mferS to house it.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Oddly enough, the ‘94 game was on LHN last night. I was in the end zone that year.  I’ve never, to this day, heard it as loud as it was for that play. 
Oh what a glorious day that was. 
I🤘🏻Stonie!

So was I. Sitting on the second row and couldn’t really see shit the whole game as a 20 yard run and a two yard run we’re indistinguishable from there but had a from row view of that classic play. Stonie recognized the reverse immediately and hauled ass from the left side to the right faster than he’s ever run in his life. Robert reed stayed home to force the play inside and the rest is history. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

I kind of like the idea of torturing with intermediate side line action  and making their LBs run one direction and Bijan wiggling the other way. Would even enjoy, date I say, the Counter. We cettainly have the dudes to run that and the bad mferS to house it.

Statue of Liberty play.  At least once a drive

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesn't matter, you can throw out rankings, perceived talent, injury reports..all of it.

Case McCoy and Tyrone muthafuckin Swoopes both sent the gooners home in tears in Mack Browns last mail it in year and Charlie's hotseat year respectively.

Jerrod Heard*. Swoopes did have like 400 yards of offense against them in 2014 though lol

ou defense has been pretty clutch when it mattered at the end of Tulane, NEB, and WV games with an assist from some offensive ineptitude by those three opponents on their late drives. 

Texas just needs to take that out of the equation early and often. 

K State was also very effective against ou on offense.  their undoing was the early fumble and turning it over on downs after a 45 yd drive stalled late.  K state only punted once. ou never punted and only had one drive not end in points with an interception.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

our lack of a deep ball is gonna be a pretty big setback to the run game.

When is the last time any of you successfully executed a $50 handshake at the Cotton Bowl gates? Just curious if it is still a thing.  
In a world where kids expect $15 an hour 401k and stock options for mowing and trimming your lawn, $50 isn't going to go far even if it were still a thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

PK needs to do everything he can to have guys hit Rattler early (I don't mean any late hits ... I mean get pressure and hit him as he scrambles). He's weak and I after taking a few hits in the backfield I think it can throw off his game enough so Texas can create turnovers. 

But not so hard that goon has to play Caleb Williams 

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think a few people have completely memory holed the Tom/Orlando defenses and for good reason.....   LOL!    Recall how many third and longs we gave up?  Recall how many missed tackles we'd rack up on one play?   We don't have a fantastic D and certainly nothing to brag about.  But they've been getting the job done and making some stops when needed (save the Arky game) and more importantly the offense is at least doing something with those stops or turnovers. 

It’s called, “Third & Orlando”.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

our lack of a deep ball is gonna be a pretty big setback to the run game.

What's weird is that, for the most part, all the deep throws have missed for the same reason: Casey put too much on them. That seems fixable. I keep waiting for Casey to let up just a bit, but he's still overthrowing almost every time.

The other problem, which has been less of an issue overall, is bad decisions. He takes some risks that he shouldn't take, but it hasn't cost us a game yet, and if he can connect on some of the deep balls, then the risk may be worth it overall.