BlacKkKlansman - A Spike Lee joint

satyanash

2 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Had me up until the 'America first' chant.  Took me right out of the story.  If I want additional Trump bashing, can turn on pretty much anything else. 

I mean, there are photos of KKK members holding "America First" banners and KKK speech transcripts with the phrase "America First" dating back to the 1920s, but sure, let's make this about Trump.

• Like 1

Im in

2007 - inside man. Last commercial spike lee film that was good. Chi Raq was ok. 

I know people hate spike lee, but he gets a lifetime pass from me for do the right thing, summer of sam, inside man, and He Got Motherfucking Game.

looks solid
Boys 'n the Hood was good too.
  • Fuck You 2

34 minutes ago, Parliament said:
15 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:
Im in

2007 - inside man. Last commercial spike lee film that was good. Chi Raq was ok. 

I know people hate spike lee, but he gets a lifetime pass from me for do the right thing, summer of sam, inside man, and He Got Motherfucking Game.

looks solid

Bleks all look alike to you?

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Parliament said:
15 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:
Im in

looks solid

Seriously? 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:09 PM, futureman said:

so it’s a true story?  a faction of the klan was cool bringing in a black dude?  that happened?

1t2wvl.jpg

It's been done before but in this case Indiana Jones' kid will be the one infiltrating the Klan.

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 6:39 PM, Dick Tremayne said:

I mean, there are photos of KKK members holding "America First" banners and KKK speech transcripts with the phrase "America First" dating back to the 1920s, but sure, let's make this about Trump.

Yeah, there's kind of a reason this is being released on the one year anniversary of the Charlottesville white supremacist violence. 

• Like 1

Had me up until the 'America first' chant.  Took me right out of the story.  If I want additional Trump bashing, can turn on pretty much anything else. 

Yeah, there's kind of a reason this is being released on the one year anniversary of the Charlottesville white supremacist violence. 

Hmmm3264c928bcc932dbc6d4640b92af1075.jpg

Really good movie. So many heads in the sand when it comes to what’s happening today. Just look at this thread. 

Posted in sequence for posterity and clarity.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/16/2018 at 9:20 PM, futureman said:

bruh.  john singleton.  

spike lee isn’t capable of making that film.

Boyz in the Hood was amazing. Leave it at that. Comparing those two is an absolute fucking joke and I'm gut laughing at you suggesting that Singleton is capable of doing something that Spike Lee is not.

Unless of course that's your point. Hedging my bet here.

Edited by threesheets
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Really good movie. So many heads in the sand when it comes to what’s happening today. Just look at this thread. 

yeah, what exactly is happening?  white supremacist rallies haven’t recently popped back up, they were never gone.  except 20 years ago when a bunch of bigots marched down the street nobody fuckin cared.  so what’s happening is media coverage?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah, what exactly is happening?  white supremacist rallies haven’t recently popped back up, they were never gone.  except 20 years ago when a bunch of bigots marched down the street nobody fuckin cared.  so what’s happening is media coverage?

I think social media works as a gravitational force drawing like minded people together and better leverages their organizing capabilities far beyond what they were capable of doing only 15 years ago.  Anyone of us 35 years or older who attended UT or lived in and around Austin can look no further than Alex Jones as proof of what social media is capable of doing for even the most inane and ridiculous among us.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

Imagine falling into a coma 20 years ago while watching Alex rant and rave on public access TV in your dorm room only to wake up 20 years later to watch that same man interview the muthafuckin president of the United States of America.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, futureman said:

Charlottesville happened just last year.

Dylan Klebold happened a few years ago.

There are plenty of other examples of white racial violence in this country. It's a problem.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Pretty good flick.  The 3rd act got a little jumbled and therefore the climax fell just slightly flat but it was well produced/directed, topical, and enjoyable.  Lil Denzel and Driver both are very intriguing actors who do a good job of entertaining but I felt they struggled in some of the heavier moments.  Felt like Topher Grace was definitely intentionally cast.  Jasper Paakkonen (sp?) is a fucking Michael Biehn bodysnatcher.  Looks just like him in his prime.  For a few minutes, I was like, damn how did Michael Biehn not age?  Provocative movie which will keep Spike on the A list for the foreseeable future....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Imagine falling into a coma 20 years ago while watching Alex rant and rave on public access TV in your dorm room only to wake up 20 years later to watch that same man interview the muthafuckin president of the United States of America.

You just took Scary Stranger right out of this thread.

• Like 1