Heading to Fredricksburg from Houston

OWLVIS

On 5/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, Amos Moses said:

10 -> 183-> City market in luling -> 80 -> 32 hit up real ale in Blanco -> 1623 -> 1888 -> 1376 stop for beers in Luckenbach -> 290 Fredericksburg

IMO.

Delete City Market

add Hays Co BBQ in San Marcos

On 5/14/2018 at 9:56 PM, OWLVIS said:

Accepting recommendations /warnings for Fredricksburg, getting there, there, and getting back to Houston 

Wineries to do:

Fat Ass - they are just my kinda people

Messina Hof - we went at the end of the day and the pours were more than excellent and we gorged ourselves trying their dips as they were trying to empty them out.

33 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Wineries to do:

Fat Ass - they are just my kinda people

Messina Hof - we went at the end of the day and the pours were more than excellent and we gorged ourselves trying their dips as they were trying to empty them out.

I don't like either of those, but I like wine, so take that with a grain of salt.

William Chris is solid, as is Hilmy.  I have heard Inwood wines are good, too.  A lot of people like Lewis wines, I didn't care for them on my one visit, but that doesn't mean much.  Ron Yates has a really pretty tasting room set up, but their wines are pretty average.  4.0 could be cool to check out if you have the time.

One warning, between 1pm and 5pm on Saturday, all the wineries will be absolutely packed and a madhouse.  If you don't like crowds, do something else in that time slot.

Pretty good and tiny cocktail place called The Stable you could check out in town.

Nice place in Johnson City called Bryans on 290.   If you are driving through at a meal time.  On my last visit I went the 10/71/290 way.  Stopped at Hruska's.  It wasn't terrible.

Edited by bularry1

52 minutes ago, elfenix said:

my wine nerd industry friend suggests compass rose, kulhman, and grape creek wineries

hye market across from william chris is a good place for sandwiches

I also had a wine person recommend grape creek.    I like William Chris and Hilmy because a lot of their wines are exclusively Texas fruit.

• 4 years later...
10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

We are headed to Fredricksburg in a few weeks and would like to stay in town. Thoughts on best place/location?

hotel or air bnb?

"best" place is going to be somewhere close-ish to Main St so you can walk there and back and not worry about parking.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

We are headed to Fredricksburg in a few weeks and would like to stay in town. Thoughts on best place/location?

We are normally Bonvoy points whores, but got tired of staying in The Fairfield, which is the only Bonvoy property there.

However...IF you are Marriott member, check out the Homes & Villas in the area.

If you're not Marriott, well...just disregard.  

If you don't mind the noise, I've stayed above the Brewery before.  Also, the Winchester Lodge has some interesting room options.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, elfenix said:

10 -> 183-> City market in luling -> 80 -> 32 hit up real ale in Blanco -> 1632 and keep it in a low gear -> 290 Fredericksburg

This is now 10 to Seguin for Burnt Bean, then 46 to 281 to Real Ale, then on to Luckenbach/Stonewall/Hye/Fburg

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, Dbeasy said:

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

stayed here, it was nice. Had sex in the hot tub, just a fyi 

https://www.rentbyowner.com/property/no-2-austin-four-twelve/AB-39217331

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Great suggestions thanks. When there’s only two of us we tend to go hotel. When the whole family we go VRBO/Airbnb. This will just be the two of us. 

So fredericksburg is a different animal when it comes to vrbo/airbnb/bnb places. It’s a couples town so there are a metric fuck ton of 1 bedroom places to rent, a large number of them with hot tubs. 

Absolute Charm is the big dog in town for rentals. Or a specific bnb if you know of one, but absolute charm will get you the most choice and best locations. And renting direct from them will save you the service fees on vrbo or airbnb. 

https://www.absolutecharm.com

Disclaimer: I work in the industry, though not for absolute charm. 

Disclaimer 2: every hot tub is there for sex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1