Tell Me About Rice

Vic Mackey

My dad played football at Rice in the late 60’s. He took us through the campus growing up a few times. He said the female dorms were known as “The Zoo” and “The Cow Palace”, and I am not making that up. 
My view is that if you are looking for a new place to troll for your ilk, you are surveying the right kind of landscape. Good luck snorting for truffles, sir. 

Negative. Rice women and Vic will not get on.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Whenever we play them again, I wish the big cigars would allow the game at Rice to actually be played it in rice stadium. Playing the game at Reliant doesn’t feel like college football at all. Doing it at Rice Stadium means more people can attend, cheaper tickets, on campus atmosphere, and some awesome tailgating either in the parking lot or at the bars in the adjacent Rice Village 

I hate neutral site games in college football. I get it. You can sell more tickets and all the revenue with that. But it cheapens what college football is about and that is the atmosphere at these campuses and home stadiums. It seems there is way too many neutral site games these days. Texas vs Rice at Reliant definitely was not a good atmosphere at all.

They’d have to remove the end zone tarps for that one game, but Rice stadium holds more than Reliant. Big Cigars wanted luxury suites, air conditioning, etc. and were able to force Rice into renting Reliant for our games in Houston. Rice still made a lot of money but probably would have made more playing in their own stadium. NFL stadiums are sterile. It would be nice to see Rice Stadium 90% full for a game. The best I saw in recent years was when Rice had a steak of 3 bowl games in 5 years and hosted UH at the end of the season in a shootout. The stadium was lit that night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

We choose to go to the moon!

My 2nd grade son delivered the better part of two minutes of this speech from memory (including a passable Boston accent) at his school’s history day. Proud dad here.

Not bad. I could barely remember how to spell my name in 2nd grade.

Agree with all that we should be playing them in Rice Stadium.  Reliant is like every other boring corporate NFL stadium and I've still never seen a game at Rice.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Wife grew up a die hard Longhorn but Rice was her dream school coming out of high school.  She didn't make it in by a hair and "settled" for UT and she despises Rice to this day.  Great school, great band, I wish we played them every year

My best friend was in Jones, 1990-94.

Running around naked for 2 hours wearing nothing but shaving cream while Brown tried to hose us off and being served naked at Valhalla was a liberating experience.

Was driving down greenbriar last week and seeing the people jogging around campus made me sentimental.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My best friend was in Jones, 1990-94.

Running around naked for 2 hours wearing nothing but shaving cream while Brown tried to hose us off and being served naked at Valhalla was a liberating experience.

Was driving down greenbriar last week and seeing the people jogging around campus made me sentimental.

That might well have been a Noze experience from Baylor.

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 12:17 AM, Vic Mackey said:

I don't know much about them at all.

There is a reason you don’t know much about them Vic, truth is no one does. They are irrelevant in all things except baseball. And even with that most still debate whether they should change the fucking channel during the college World Series when they get there for some Gilligan’s Island reruns.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hamttx said:

There is a reason you don’t know much about them Vic, truth is no one does. They are irrelevant in all things except baseball. And even with that most still debate whether they should change the fucking channel during the college World Series when they get there for some Gilligan’s Island reruns.

Could be a far different story if Rice was a member of the XII, with the revenues that range at $35m per year, and playing UT/ Tech/ TCU & OU/ OSU in a south division...

On 5/19/2018 at 4:44 AM, Longboard Horn said:

I've seen a few Battle of the Bayou Bucket (UH vs Rice) games at Rice Stadium. It's a nice venue and their campus is pretty.

rawImage.jpg

I wish our stadium would have been built like this but adding the upper deck 360. Every seat in that stadium is a good seat vs DKR where I would say 40% of our seats are below average.

• Like 1

I grew up down the street from the stadium. It was very cool back then because they left it open to the public and kids would play on the field. For my money Rice stadium is the best place to watch football in Texas. Ironically, the best game I saw there was not Rice, but U of H when they spanked aggy when the latter was ranked top ten in the nation. I think it was 1976...Houston beat them by ten or 12 points. George Woodard was suppose to be this big bad ass - openly mocked Earl Campbell by saying the difference between he and Earl was that Campbell ran around people and he (George) ran over them...didn't happen against Houston that day. Second best game was Port Neches Groves vs SA Churchill...the latter won in the semi finals during icy ( yes "icy" ) conditions. The game was decided by a muffed punt return when one of PNG's return men dropped the ball inside his own 10 yard line. Churchill insisted on playing at Rice because PNG had dominated other games at the Dome

I learned some interesting stuff about Rice today. First of all, the have a damned good school website with an amazing searchable archive.

https://scholarship.rice.edu/

Secondly, while Rice's estate was sizable, probably the biggest single financial windfall they enjoyed was a large working interest in the Rincon Field out in Scurry County. In 1942, some Rice benefactors donated $500k, the school matched it and that investment delivered up to 60% of the school's annual operating budget for the next 40 years.

Finally, I ran across a thesis that discusses the roles of UT, Rice, A&M and Baylor during WWII and thereafter. Rice was doing some research during the war, but it was just after the war that Rice really started kicking things into gear, obtaining some very cutting edge research equipment from the Atomic Energy Commission. It seems Rice physicists were even helping at high levels with the Manhattan Project. 

https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/20690

• Like 1

When they beat us in like 93, I honestly didn't understand the significance of it because I was still a little young and naive to the dynamics of big  state school vs tiny smart kid private school and the significant recruiting differences between the two. 

Now I shake my head in bewilderment trying to understand how we lost to those nerds. 

For all those suggesting Rice be added to a major conference, think about this: They open their season today - a week ahead of almost every other school - and still aren't going to be on TV. That says all you need to know about how many people are interested in Rice football.

8 minutes ago, Baconboy said:

For all those suggesting Rice be added to a major conference, think about this: They open their season today - a week ahead of almost every other school - and still aren't going to be on TV. That says all you need to know about how many people are interested in Rice football.

Is Rice playing Texas this weekend, or is it PV A&M..? That gives you your retort as to why tv is lacking, (although the game is available on ESPN+ platform)...

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Is Rice playing Texas this weekend, or is it PV A&M..? That gives you your retort as to why tv is lacking, (although the game is available on ESPN+ platform)...

Anyone worthy of being in a P5 conference would be televised this weekend regardless of opponent. Wyoming vs New Mexico State is on ESPN2 tonight. ESPNU is showing high school football followed by a replay of last year's Alabama vs Florida State game. I love Rice and have a degree from there, but the fact that they can't get on TV on a Saturday when there are only 4 college games is pretty telling regardless of opponent. This is the entire reason they weren't invited to the Big 12 - their program relied entirely on their SWC opponent's fans filling their stadium.

1 hour ago, Baconboy said:

Anyone worthy of being in a P5 conference would be televised this weekend regardless of opponent. Wyoming vs New Mexico State is on ESPN2 tonight. ESPNU is showing high school football followed by a replay of last year's Alabama vs Florida State game. I love Rice and have a degree from there, but the fact that they can't get on TV on a Saturday when there are only 4 college games is pretty telling regardless of opponent. This is the entire reason they weren't invited to the Big 12 - their program relied entirely on their SWC opponent's fans filling their stadium.

There is a difference in playing New Mexico State, a "co-flagship" of an entire state, versus that of playing a smaller HBCU in Texas... #ApplesToAvacodosMan...

An article that highlights talking points of how Rice could fit in the XII:

Why Rice is Applying for the Big 12 & So Should You — The SWC ...

https://swcroundup.com/news/.../why-...-so-should-you
Aug 17, 2016 - The Owls have applied to join the Big 12 and why the hell not? ... (Mary Hardin Baylor is slow playing this thing like a G!) Rice's entry has ...

On 8/25/2018 at 1:13 PM, Baconboy said:

Right but if Rice was added to a major conference, they'd be playing schools where those fanbases are interested and they would be on tv. Rice played Prairie View. Of course that is not going to draw much attention. 

I am not really advocating Rice join the Big 12, though. I think they are good where they are now. They would finish at the bottom of the Big 12 for eternity. 

• Like 1

Rice Institute almost never happened. To understand Rice, you need to read the story of the murder and the forged will. It was James Baker's grandfather who represented the estate and uncovered the plot. The relationship between the Baker family and Rice University was forged through that incident, which is why the Baker Institute is today on the Rice campus.
The Rice endowment owns massive amounts of land north of Houston along 1-45 and 1-59. They sell the lumber harvest rights to generate the 5% annual income off the land assets, thus giving them the income they need. Because Houston is growing north at a strong clip, the value of the land will increase above the rate of most other asset classes (the Rice endowment is about to grow a whole bunch more in the very near future).
Also, when LBJ pushed for the NASA facility in Texas, it ended up in Houston in large part because Rice University donated the land necessary for the Johnson Space Center. That cemented the relationship between the JSC and Rice.
If you want to read something interesting, read Smalley's Nobel acceptance speech. He was a great guy. Very approachable. Addressing a Nobel Prize laureate by his first name for the first time was an interesting experience.
Oh, and last I knew, diplomas from Rice were still printed on actual sheepskin (at least by request).
The Rice murder story:
http://www.historicalcrimedetective.com/ccca/the-murder-of-millionaire-william-rice-by-albert-patrick-1900/

Humble Oil owned the West Ranch that NASA sits on and donated part of to it to Rice so Rice could sell it to NASA.

• 1 month later...
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

A former Rice football player has been arrested in the homicide investigation into the death of Blain Padgett.

Stuart "Mooch" Mouchantaf, 25, has been charged with delivery of a controlled substance causing death, a 2nd degree felony that carries a penalty of five to 99 years or life in prison.

Mouchantaf is accused of giving a deadly pill to Padgett, whose body was found inside his bedroom by fellow players after he failed to show up for a Friday morning workout on March 2.

https://abc13.com/sports/man-charged-in-death-of-rice-football-star-blain-padgett-/4417739/