House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Surprised I didn't see a topic for this. But I am reminded of what a shitshow GOT became and the BULLSHIT ending and then think, "Surprised I am not."

Anyway, guess I'll be the asshole to start it. New Trailer dropped.

Who's going to invest the energy into this? 

I may ignore every episode for however long this runs until after the series finale. I'll then read if it was worth it. If reviews are positive, then I'll prob watch it. But I aint investing time unless I get confirmation that the whole series isn't a shitshow cause fuck David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and fuck Martin for still not finishing the fucking books.

Edited by crash_davis

• crash_davis changed the title to House of the Dragons

Benioff & Weiss aren't associated with this particular series.  Miguel Sapochnik, who directed many of the viewers fave episodes from GoT, is an EP but basically this was created by the guy who created the short-lived series, Colony.  

No idea what to think about this series, it's based on Fire & Blood by GRRRRRM about the Targaryen civil war.  Supposedly, Martin was happy with how much CGI Dragons there were with this budget.  It's Matt Smith of Doctor Who fame.  Rhys Ifans, Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel) and British actor Patrick Considine co-star.

We'll see....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Benioff & Weiss aren't associated with this particular series.  Miguel Sapochnik, who directed many of the viewers fave episodes from GoT, is an EP but basically this was created by the guy who created the short-lived series, Colony.  

No idea what to think about this series, it's based on Fire & Blood by GRRRRRM about the Targaryen civil war.  Supposedly, Martin was happy with how much CGI Dragons there were with this budget.  It's Matt Smith of Doctor Who fame.  Rhys Ifans, Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel) and British actor Patrick Considine co-star.

We'll see....

Patrick?

Seriously?

It will be appointment viewing for me, to start at least, but I have zero expectations.  GoT was so good before it got so bad.  Yes there was a slow drop off from S5 to the end but S8 was just so bad.  Like I still have no idea how it got approved.  Who approved it?  Literally you could have asked reddit morons to come up with a plot for the season and rough draft scripts and they'd have done a better job in a week, for free.  GoT went from my favorite show of all time to something I don't even like thinking about because it enrages me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i like that they took my least favorite part of game of thrones and made it a series.

Oddly, I like that they took my most favorite part of GOT and made it a series.  The book it's based on is great.  I remember when they announced the first GOT spinoff that was going to go all the way back to the age of heroes and thought, "wtf?  They got the Targs and their fucking dragons over the past 300 years and they're going to go back 10,000 years for this shit?"  So I'm happy.  

17 hours ago, futureman said:

you enjoyed the high sparrow and the faith militant more than the targaryens?

i didn't say my least favorite plot line - yes that was a beating.  but anything supernatural is typically a red flag for me.  the genius of the early seasons was that it was largely based in reality, even if it took place in a fantasy world.  it was a story about relationships, family rivalries, power, and politics.  the dragons didn't do much the first few seasons but get in the way.  then when they started becoming more of a factor, the show started...um...what's another word for sucking?

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it was a story about relationships, family rivalries, power, and politics. 

do you not think it will still be about those things? I doubt that this series will just be a bunch of dudes flying around on dragons. but then again you’d know better than I. 

19 minutes ago, futureman said:

do you not think it will still be about those things? I doubt that this series will just be a bunch of dudes flying around on dragons. but then again you’d know better than I. 

i think a show called "house of the dragons" will involve more dragons than seasons 1-3 of got.  i'm happy to be proven wrong though.

i didn't say my least favorite plot line - yes that was a beating.  but anything supernatural is typically a red flag for me.  the genius of the early seasons was that it was largely based in reality, even if it took place in a fantasy world. 

I haven’t read the books in forever but my impression was that a subtext of the series was that the world was magical but man pushed it out into to the north and built a wall to keep it at bay. The dragons were the last bit of magic left in the world and then they died off. As magic started to regain its place in the world starting with the birth of Dani’s dragons, there was more and more of it as the series expanded.

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i didn't say my least favorite plot line - yes that was a beating.  but anything supernatural is typically a red flag for me.  the genius of the early seasons was that it was largely based in reality, even if it took place in a fantasy world.  it was a story about relationships, family rivalries, power, and politics.  the dragons didn't do much the first few seasons but get in the way.  then when they started becoming more of a factor, the show started...um...what's another word for sucking?

Not to be a bookfag but if they do follow the book. It's going to be what you liked about GOT on steroids.

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i think a show called "house of the dragons" will involve more dragons than seasons 1-3 of got.  i'm happy to be proven wrong though.

You will not be proven wrong.  HOD is going to center on the big family fight over the throne between half-siblings.  It's called The Dance of Dragons, so expect a lot of dragons.  This fight was the beginning of the end of the Targs and their dragons, so if it goes 8 seasons like GOT, I'd expect less dragons at the end of this series.   

4 hours ago, sccane92 said:

Not to be a bookfag but if they do follow the book. It's going to be what you liked about GOT on steroids.

This is also true.  Lot's of family and political drama like GOT, but interspersed with what is going to have to be some crazy ass battles scenes where multiple people are riding around on dragons.  Damn, typing that out makes it sound like a real challenge to keep this from getting cheesy.  I kind of wish they'd have just gone all the way back to the beginning of the Targ rule and Aegon I landing his big ass dragon in what will become King's Landing.  Maybe they'll skip around in the time line if it lasts enough seasons.  

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

This is also true.  Lot's of family and political drama like GOT, but interspersed with what is going to have to be some crazy ass battles scenes where multiple people are riding around on dragons.  Damn, typing that out makes it sound like a real challenge to keep this from getting cheesy.  I kind of wish they'd have just gone all the way back to the beginning of the Targ rule and Aegon I landing his big ass dragon in what will become King's Landing.  Maybe they'll skip around in the time line if it lasts enough seasons.  

That's what I thought would have been cool. As an angry bookfag, I enjoyed the world he created and the history. This has the makings of basically GOT II replacing the civil war with an intra-family war. It would tickle my whisker if they did some flashbacks and gave some backstory on the First Men, the Andals, the COTF and especially the Night King and the Doom of Valyria - would love to see Aegon fleeing and showing up on the beach met by a couple of knights from Storm's End. I think his taking of Westeros would be much more fun than Targ's fighting Targ's ... but they fuck and get nekkid so there is that.

Agree with the general sentiment that the shitshow of the last few seasons and fat ass' lack of ability to do shit really extinguishes any strong desire to see it.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I realize as I'm writing this that this is weird nit to pick, but I'm bored by a show that's set 200+ years in the past that will, in all likelihood, look nearly identical with regards to architecture and technology.

Can you tell the difference between architecture from 1100's England vs 1300?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You will not be proven wrong.  HOD is going to center on the big family fight over the throne between half-siblings.  It's called The Dance of Dragons, so expect a lot of dragons.  This fight was the beginning of the end of the Targs and their dragons, so if it goes 8 seasons like GOT, I'd expect less dragons at the end of this series.   

They’ve said there will be 17 dragons in this show. That sounds dumb.

22 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Not surprising. Even the kids had their own dragon back then.

Yes and the people who had dragons knew how to fight with them.  It won't be amateur hour like with Dany.  The story for this was good.  If GRRM can be bothered to help with dialogue and fleshing out details, it will most likely be very good.

• 6 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, kevwun said:

Yes and the people who had dragons knew how to fight with them.  It won't be amateur hour like with Dany.  The story for this was good.  If GRRM can be bothered to help with dialogue and fleshing out details, it will most likely be very good left unfinished.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

• blacklab changed the title to House of the Dragon