ALDS: Rays vs Red Sox

Fudge Nuggets

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I can’t believe this Red Sox team made it to the ALCS.  Fully expecting the Astros to sweep them pretty easily but it has still been a good season for the Sox.  

The Rays’ offense was smoke and mirrors and their pitching hasn’t been that strong in the second half.  Plus it’s the playoffs, so anything can happen. 

I’d put the Astros as a slight favorite over the Red Sox should they advance. They are the better hitting and far better fielding team but the lack of pitching might catch up to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

Agree that the play was to walk him there.  Smoltz also actually made a good point.  Kike is a good enough bunter to push it toward 1st and the run could have scored easily that way.

You would walk Kike to load the bases and bring up the substantially better hitter with platoon advantage?

10 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

The Rays’ offense was smoke and mirrors and their pitching hasn’t been that strong in the second half.  Plus it’s the playoffs, so anything can happen. 

I’d put the Astros as a slight favorite over the Red Sox should they advance. They are the better hitting and far better fielding team but the lack of pitching might catch up to them. 

I would argue the Red Sox lack the pitching on top of being the worse hitting and fielding team.  It really shouldn’t be close next round but like you said, it is the playoffs so I guess anything can happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would argue the Red Sox lack the pitching on top of being the worse hitting and fielding team.  It really shouldn’t be close next round but like you said, it is the playoffs so I guess anything can happen.

I think at mid-season the Astros had better pitching, but Garcia has fallen off and Greinke imploded. Plus, Sale is back.  IMO, Eovaldi,  E-Rod, Sale/Pivetta > LMJ, Framber, Garcia/Urquidy. 

Edited by Starfleet Command

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

I don’t think he’s 2018 Sale, but he’s still pretty damn good. 

He only made it an inning in his start.  Erod did the same before making it 5 tonight so both of them are at best hit or miss.  It’s the Sox pen that scares me.  They don’t have a closer really.  Barnes imploded and guys like Brasier and whatnot are not very good.  Whitlock looks like the real deal however.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Hate seeing the Sox advance. But love seeing the analytics darlings get shat upon. Sox vs Astros is going to suck from a ratings standpoint for the MLB. People hate the Astros but not enough to actually watch them play imo. Sox will have to carry the viewership. 

You're a dumbass, it would get great ratings.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He only made it an inning in his start.  Erod did the same before making it 5 tonight so both of them are at best hit or miss.  It’s the Sox pen that scares me.  They don’t have a closer really.  Barnes imploded and guys like Brasier and whatnot are not very good.  Whitlock looks like the real deal however.  

STFU, Brasier is the best!

• 2 weeks later...