30 For 30 On Michael Jordan: The Last Dance

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The wife (no pics) made the observation "Why does Michael Jordan seem perpetually annoyed?"

Previous poster mentioned it but BJ Armstrong hasn't aged one day.

Carmen Electra still looks awesome.  48 years old.  That's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Her getting thrown out of Rodman's room by Jordan was an awesome story.

Watching old NBA clips you're reminded how the game was glorified pro wrestling back then.  The stars from both eras could play in each era but past that, none of them would transfer.  The physical, no athletic big men from that day would be run out of the gym now and the stretch 4 types now would get abused back then.  However, those guys who were great then could completely dominate now.  If Jordan could score 35/game with that level of physicality, he'd score 50/game now if he wanted to.

For all the comparisons, though, the games were ugly back then.  You see some of these scores on those games and you have winning teams scoring in the 80's and 90's.  The quality of play started to go down hill during the 90's and when the Bulls split up, it really went to shit.

There's little doubt in my mind that Jordan could score 45-50/gm in today's game.  

One of the craziest things to me is that Rodman went to South Oak Cliff High and never played a minute of high school basketball. Who grows nearly a foot after they graduated high school?!?! I’d like to see more detail about him working as a janitor at DFW growing nearly a foot and how he ended up playing ball in Oklahoma. I know he was adopted (basically) by a family in Oklahoma, a family in the excavation business. That’s how the Rodman Excavation in Dallas came to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Odd comments about Isiah given that Jordan has proven himself the biggest bitch of all time.

Seriously, for someone who's as rich, revered, and accomplished as Jordan, he's demonstrated that he's enormously bitter, petty, and still compulsively hyper-competitive. He's a listmaker. He remembers every slight, every criticism, and every perceived lack of recognition of his majesty.

Isiah absolutely should've been on the Dream Team. But what he doesn't realize is that, every time he complains about the omission and confesses how much it hurts him, Jordan is wallowing in it somewhere, sporting a shit-eating grin while he furiously jacks off.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

One of the craziest things to me is that Rodman went to South Oak Cliff High and never played a minute of high school basketball. Who grows nearly a foot after they graduated high school?!?! I’d like to see more detail about him working as a janitor at DFW growing nearly a foot and how he ended up playing ball in Oklahoma. I know he was adopted (basically) by a family in Oklahoma, a family in the excavation business. That’s how the Rodman Excavation in Dallas came to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There's a 30 for 30 on Rodman that's available on Sling--highly recommend.  It's crazy that he lives with this white family in Oklahoma and the mother is a total racist who still, on camera drops the N word and says she told Rodman, who's dating a white girl, that she thought that there shouldn't be dating outside of the race. Just another strange stop in Rodman's background..  

One day in the late '90s I was in a meeting with the founders of SWBC in San Antonio in their corporate boardroom on San Pedro.  We were negotiating a deal and all I remember is that Rodman had just done something typically outrageous. One of their VPs, who IIRC was a retired 2 star General was putting the negotiating screws to me, but mounted on the wall right behind his head was an autographed Rodman (Spurs era) jersey in a glass case - and it took all my effort to not start cracking up laughing at the context of the whole situation.

A couple of things on Isiah.  First, he was a fantastic player.  Very worthy of HOF, etc.  

The problem was when the Pistons were rolling, it was Isiah that was very vocal on the court about the hard fouls.  He would get on his teammates if they did not foul someone hard enough and he voiced it, on purpose, so that the opponents heard him.  That will get a ton of guys very pissed off.  Secondly, the really bush league thing the Pistons did was to foul someone hard AFTER the whistle was blown.  They talked about it as a team.  You could hit a guy after a whistle was blown back then and not get another foul.  Basically a free shot.  That is really chickenshit, imo.

And, to his credit, MJ went and shook hands with every Piston when they literally beat him up in 1990.  They should have returned the class.

On the Dream Team, no one knew how that was going to turn out before the team was assembled.  There really was not much buy in from the players initially.  MJ was the catalyst to getting everyone else.  He knew he would be spending a ton of his off-season on the olympic stuff and he just did not want to spend it with Isiah.  He really wasn't a dick about it, he just said he did not want to commit if Isiah was on the team.  I really cant blame him.

9 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

And, to his credit, MJ went and shook hands with every Piston when they literally beat him up in 1990.  They should have returned the class.

Yep, and he gave the anti-Matt Leinhart response to the media, despite some bad luck with Pippen's migraines in Game 7.

"They were the better team. They deserved to win. They're where we want to be. We're going to get back to work and hopefully get them next year."

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The wife (no pics) made the observation "Why does Michael Jordan seem perpetually annoyed?"

Previous poster mentioned it but BJ Armstrong hasn't aged one day.

Carmen Electra still looks awesome.  48 years old.  That's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Her getting thrown out of Rodman's room by Jordan was an awesome story.

Watching old NBA clips you're reminded how the game was glorified pro wrestling back then.  The stars from both eras could play in each era but past that, none of them would transfer.  The physical, no athletic big men from that day would be run out of the gym now and the stretch 4 types now would get abused back then.  However, those guys who were great then could completely dominate now.  If Jordan could score 35/game with that level of physicality, he'd score 50/game now if he wanted to.

For all the comparisons, though, the games were ugly back then.  You see some of these scores on those games and you have winning teams scoring in the 80's and 90's.  The quality of play started to go down hill during the 90's and when the Bulls split up, it really went to shit.

The low scoring games were ushered in by the Pistons and their ugly brand of basketball. The 80's were pretty high scoring. The Bad Boy Pistons teams would grind games to a halt 

Oh, and a lot of today's big men would fold if the NBA still allowed the physicality of the 80's and early 90's. So I don't think you could say today's guys would dominate when they would probably be too concerned with being clotheslined and punched in the face. 

Rambis was almost decapitated against the Celtics and not a soul was tossed for that. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

I loved Isaiah’s game during the 80’s.  He turned in one of the ballsiest performances I’ve ever seen in the 88 Finals against the Lakers.  MFer could hardly walk and he still played great.  But those Bad Boys teams and his string of failures post-retirement have kind of soured me on him.

I hate sounding like a typical old person ranting for the “good old days” but damn if basketball doesn’t look way more entertaining during the 80’s-90’s era. Players not worrying about their brand at every turn, physical play that resembles hockey, entertaining coaches you couldn’t script better if it was a movie. It seems like every stadium was full of blue collar guys chugging beer with their friends. What a great time in sports history. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I loved Isaiah’s game during the 80’s.  He turned in one of the ballsiest performances I’ve ever seen in the 88 Finals against the Lakers.  MFer could hardly walk and he still played great.  But those Bad Boys teams and his string of failures post-retirement have kind of soured me on him.

He fucked himself when he claimed that Bird only got props because he was white.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alvin89 said:

I hate sounding like a typical old person ranting for the “good old days” but damn if basketball doesn’t look way more entertaining during the 80’s-90’s era. Players not worrying about their brand at every turn, physical play that resembles hockey, entertaining coaches you couldn’t script better if it was a movie. It seems like every stadium was full of blue collar guys chugging beer with their friends. What a great time in sports history. 

With the AAU-ification of basketball leading to the players of today knowing each other and hanging together since they were about 14, that good old-fashioned hate is largely gone from the game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Straight up bitches.  

lolz

What's funny is Horace Grant was generally regarded as a super good guy, milk and cookies type...  Yet the hatred for the Pistons is straight up.  i love it that it still came out all these years later.

Edited by Iceman

Those Bad Boys era Piston were pretty much par for the course if you grew up in the 70’s and 80’s. Hell, in SA in the late 70’s we had the Bruise Brothers. Every single team had an enforcer just like in hockey. It wasn’t it wasn’t as consistently violent as hockey was, but there were definitely moments. I think that came to an end once Jordan and the Bulls finally got past the Pistons and the league realized that athleticism is a much better TV product than brawn. They weren’t wrong, but it was the sweet spot of swift retribution if deserved mixed with a great game in the 70’s and 80’s that would never fly now.

CSB.
My mom worked with Isiah Thomas’s mom at the US main post office In downtown Chicago for years. My mom said she was the sweetest lady you could ever know. She didn’t retire from the postal service until well after Isiah retired.

A few people I know on the West Side of Chicago who grew up with him said his sisters were always nice and he was a good kid growing up. I wonder what made him into an asshole...Bobby Knight? Lulz

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Odd comments about Isiah given that Jordan has proven himself the biggest bitch of all time.

Seriously, for someone who's as rich, revered, and accomplished as Jordan, he's demonstrated that he's enormously bitter, petty, and still compulsively hyper-competitive. He's a listmaker. He remembers every slight, every criticism, and every perceived lack of recognition of his majesty.

Isiah absolutely should've been on the Dream Team. But what he doesn't realize is that, every time he complains about the omission and confesses how much it hurts him, Jordan is wallowing in it somewhere, sporting a shit-eating grin while he furiously jacks off.

This is just an incredibly cuntish post.  It's well documented that MJ has a competitiveness and grudge problem, but cripes you act like he's been crying in his mother's basement how unfair life is.  Fucking guy got to a level only Ali could comprehend.  By the way, Ali was a supreme asshole, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Iceman said:

The reason Jordan wasn't a bitch is that he wasn't seeking anyone's approval...but he was going to beat your ass... regardless.

Jordan could not accept not having scoreboard. Magic was the same way, Bird was the same way, Isiah was the same way. The precise degree of calibration might have been different among the four of them, but they all had that same pathological need to win, partly because none of them grew up expecting or even hoping to make a hundred million dollars playing basketball and hawking Sprite. 

• Like 3

Because Rodman wasn’t a star at the time of the comments. Rodman actually said it first and then Isiah was stupid enough to say it to a bunch of microphones. Bird actually handled it pretty well and sat in on a press conference downplaying it with Isiah. He said at the time in was no big deal and to let it go, but he was also in the Finals at the time and I’m sure wanted to limit any possible distractions. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Bird was in the same camp as Jordan as far as not wanting Isiah in the team, but that’s purely speculation in my part.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Bird was in the same camp as Jordan as far as not wanting Isiah in the team, but that’s purely speculation in my part.

Likewise. I feel like people give the lasting hard feelings from the Bulls-Pistons rivalry a lot more attention than those from the Pistons-Celtics rivalry. 

13 hours ago, Deej said:

He fucked himself when he claimed that Bird only got props because he was white.

I remember Dennis Rodman making the comment initially and then Isaiah repeating it in what I interpreted as a sarcastic tone and then he started laughing immediately afterwards. I always thought he got a raw deal on that controversy. I'd like to see video or hear sound from it to confirm whether my memories are valid or not. 

12 hours ago, Message Board User said:

With the AAU-ification of basketball leading to the players of today knowing each other and hanging together since they were about 14, that good old-fashioned hate is largely gone from the game.  

This is overstated. Many of those guys back then were friendly outside of the lines, but knew not to demonstrate it in competition. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

18 hours ago, sheeeit said:

A couple of things on Isiah.  First, he was a fantastic player.  Very worthy of HOF, etc.  

The problem was when the Pistons were rolling, it was Isiah that was very vocal on the court about the hard fouls.  He would get on his teammates if they did not foul someone hard enough and he voiced it, on purpose, so that the opponents heard him.  That will get a ton of guys very pissed off.  Secondly, the really bush league thing the Pistons did was to foul someone hard AFTER the whistle was blown.  They talked about it as a team.  You could hit a guy after a whistle was blown back then and not get another foul.  Basically a free shot.  That is really chickenshit, imo.

On the Dream Team, no one knew how that was going to turn out before the team was assembled.  There really was not much buy in from the players initially.  MJ was the catalyst to getting everyone else.  He knew he would be spending a ton of his off-season on the olympic stuff and he just did not want to spend it with Isiah.  He really wasn't a dick about it, he just said he did not want to commit if Isiah was on the team.  I really cant blame him.

Yeah there is no defense for the Pistons walking off. They are bitches forever for that.

That said, i feel like the Bulls would never have been the great team that they became without having the bitch ass Pistons there to fuel their fire.

That '91 series was just the Bulls taking them to out back for a good old fashioned ass whooping. Just trashed those fools. And that's where they realized that they had become the new force in the NBA.

23 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I remember Dennis Rodman making the comment initially and then Isaiah repeating it in what I interpreted as a sarcastic tone and then he started laughing immediately afterwards. I always thought he got a raw deal on that controversy. I'd like to see video or hear sound from it to confirm whether my memories are valid or not. 

It’s on the Laker/Celtics 30 for 30. Rodman made the comment, reporters ask Isiah about it, and he takes the bait. Not so much sarcastic, as Isiah trying to talk shit and not realizing he was about to step in it. He had to go on at halftime of a finals game and try to walk it back. The entire thing was awkward and just added to Isiah’s rep. Bird ended the entire thing when he did the press conference with Isiah and told everyone to lighten the fuck up. Bird was the man. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Here is a video with Isiah and Brent Musberger discussing the “controversy” during halftime of The Finals. They listen to the audio of what he said and Isiah claims he was saying it sarcastically. I personally think Isiah was still pissed he threw that terrible pass that Burd intercepted in Game 5 when the Pistons had a real chance to finally put the Celtics away. I think he was tired of hearing about Larry Bird.