30 For 30 On Michael Jordan: The Last Dance

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I've been trying to forget about that for years asshole, thanks a lot.

I think that was the maddest (or close to it) that I've ever been over the Spurs losing a series.  I was fuming for days and couldn't even be civil to my own family.

I lived in Houston, but made the trip to San Antonio for games 1, 2, and 5. I was in a similar state as you when that series ended. I didn't even watch the finals that year, but was constantly bombarded by the bandwagon "clutch city" bullshit all summer long. I couldn't get back to Austin for the fall semester quickly enough.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I've seen a lot of Kevin Johnson highlights that make me think Steph might be able to poke his head into the lane every now and then.

*Maybe* Steph has as much success penetrating defenses as Mark Price did? Is this possible? Or would he actually just have to stand at half court because we're going to pretend every play in the 80s/90s was Rambis getting cleared out by McHale

*Maybe it’s not a zero sum statement. Sure those guards had levels of success in the lane during that period but no one is talking about them as top 20 players of all time. 

All I’m trying to say is the current rules maximize Curry’s skill set making him one of the best players in the league.  He has also been injury prone. 

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Its not Mt. GOAT that's being discussed ITT, its Mt. Sports Icon which is essentially popular because of greatness.

And it really is MJ, Ali, Babe and then Tiger.  All the others mentioned were great, but not icons on that level.

Pelé. everyone keeps omitting Pelé. There are 330 million people in the USA- the other 7.5 billion people on the planet care about soccer, and Pelé is as iconic as it gets. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

MJ and his camp had final say on every single second that aired. There was no world where this doc was going to make MJ look bad. 

Except that's not true. I've watched pretty much every youtube content with Jason Hehir on it. Jordan was almost completely hands off about direction of the show. He would very seldomly give input on certain segments to add context but never pushed back or directed the approach.

Now you can claim that Hehir is lying but if you watched hours of his interviews from every television show imaginable, you'd come away with the belief that he is honest and stayed true to the integrity of the show.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Pelé. everyone keeps omitting Pelé. There are 330 million people in the USA- the other 7.5 billion people on the planet care about soccer, and Pelé is as iconic as it gets. 

Would wide pantheon:

Pele, Jordan, Ali, Babe Ruth maybe (that ones tied to age/generations more than the others

I've seen a lot of Kevin Johnson highlights that make me think Steph might be able to poke his head into the lane every now and then.

*Maybe* Steph has as much success penetrating defenses as Mark Price did? Is this possible? Or would he actually just have to stand at half court because we're going to pretend every play in the 80s/90s was Rambis getting cleared out by McHale

Lol, Kevin Johnson was a lot more stout than Steph. He could take a beating driving in. The best comparison would be Reggie Miller, deadly from the field, wouldn’t drive in very much without getting killed, and average at best on D.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I love how some of you guys can watch this doc, digest that half of the games ended in a score of 83-78, and still conclusively say that arguably the most prolific offense in NBA history would have no shot.

I know, I know, it's because they played "real defense" back then. As if Iggy, Klay, and a roaming Draymond couldn't put up every bit as much resistance as Byron Russell, even without hand-checking.

Maybe the Bulls would still win, who knows. But matter-of-factly declaring them better pings of nostalgia.

In the interest of fairness, we should at least wait until the 10-hour commercial for the 2017 warriors comes out, with a jock sniffer directing and Steph/Klay/KD/Draymond having final cut.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Lol, Kevin Johnson was a lot more stout than Steph. He could take a beating driving in. The best comparison would be Reggie Miller, deadly from the field, wouldn’t drive in very much without getting killed, and average at best on D.

6'1 180. Yeah he was a hulking human being. Honestly doesn't matter if he could or couldn't take a beating while driving, because it rarely happened. Just like today.

Steph is capable of filling the Reggie role, only at a higher level. Reggie's best season 3pt fg% is worse than Steph's career number despite Steph's volume, shooting off the bounce regularly and Reggie getting 3 seasons with the 22ft 3pt line. They're not really even in the same neighborhood. But putting Steph in that role would be a waste. He gets where he wants on the court because he's a wildly effective dribbler.

Steph's D is pretty mediocre though. I think he could handle being assigned Harper.

I struggle to even have the Bulls vs GS conversation because the basketball they each played is so incomparable. Hand-checking, hard fouls, poor spacing vs. wide open basketball with a ton of 3s and weak contests at the rim. 

The way I see it is if you made both teams play each other tomorrow, GS probably wins the series because the way they played would be so different to what Chicago was used to, they just wouldn’t be able to adjust in time. But if you give the Bulls a year to watch modern basketball, practice their 3 point shooting (Jordan would’ve been a 40%+ 3 point shooter if he played in today’s NBA), adapt to the spacing, etc., then Bulls win in 5 or 6. They have a ton of switchable guys to throw at GS on defense: MJ, Pippen, Harper, Rodman, etc. The Bulls could’ve handled GS’s death lineup. Plus, we have ample evidence of Curry melting under pressure. He was pathetic in crunch time in those 2016 Finals, and most of his best moments in the playoffs came when he was the #2 threat to KD. KD wouldn’t melt under the pressure, but he would struggle a lot more with guys like Pippen and MJ guarding him the whole series. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Let me know the next time Curry does this.

You'll have to point to where I declared him an equal as a dunker. Layups and dunks still both counted as 2 back in the hard fouling 90's, yes? And wtf? Shouldn't a 280 lb PF come through and flipped KJ for having the audacity to enter his lane? 

Don’t be so sensitive. I never said Curry couldn’t make a layup. Kevin Johnson may not have weighed 200+ pounds, but he was very explosive and could get to the rim almost at will during an era with hand checking on the perimeter and elbows waiting for you in the paint. The game is so much finesse and movement now that there is no point in comparing eras. I’m not saying it’s good or bad, but it’s a completely different game.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I struggle to even have the Bulls vs GS conversation because the basketball they each played is so incomparable. Hand-checking, hard fouls, poor spacing vs. wide open basketball with a ton of 3s and weak contests at the rim. 

The way I see it is if you made both teams play each other tomorrow, GS probably wins the series because the way they played would be so different to what Chicago was used to, they just wouldn’t be able to adjust in time. But if you give the Bulls a year to watch modern basketball, practice their 3 point shooting (Jordan would’ve been a 40%+ 3 point shooter if he played in today’s NBA), adapt to the spacing, etc., then Bulls win in 5 or 6. They have a ton of switchable guys to throw at GS on defense: MJ, Pippen, Harper, Rodman, etc. The Bulls could’ve handled GS’s death lineup. Plus, we have ample evidence of Curry melting under pressure. He was pathetic in crunch time in those 2016 Finals, and most of his best moments in the playoffs came when he was the #2 threat to KD. KD wouldn’t melt under the pressure, but he would struggle a lot more with guys like Pippen and MJ guarding him the whole series. 

Yep.  Jordan was a 50% shooter from 13ft-3 pt line for his prime years (around 47.5% career), a mark that only a few others in history can match (Dirk being one of them).   He would almost certainly be a 40+% 3pt shooter in today’s game, in his prime (he was a 40+% 3 pt shooter for several years during his prime).  Good luck trying to guard Jordan at the 3 pt line if he’s a threat to make it that often in the no-hand check era.   He’d be on the line 18x/game or more.   

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seems a little harsh? He was definitely off in the 2016 finals (coming a few weeks after an MCL sprain, which may have factored in). But he averaged 26-5-6-2 in 2015 without Durant and 31-5-6-2 last year without Durant. Not exactly 2011 LeBron. 

To be clear, I agree Durant is the better player and was more important to the 2017-2018 titles. But Curry has played pretty damn well on average over 5 straight trips to the finals. 

12 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Seems a little harsh? He was definitely off in the 2016 finals (coming a few weeks after an MCL sprain, which may have factored in). But he averaged 26-5-6-2 in 2015 without Durant and 31-5-6-2 last year without Durant. Not exactly 2011 LeBron. 

To be clear, I agree Durant is the better player and was more important to the 2017-2018 titles. But Curry has played pretty damn well on average over 5 straight trips to the finals. 

He’s played well overall in the Playoffs and even a lot of the Finals and he’s a no doubt HOFer, but he seems to struggle often in crunch time when he’s the primary scorer. He was pretty dreadful in 2016 and his late game struggles were probably the biggest reason why they lost that one. 
 I think the narrative around him would be very different if he didn’t have Durant to take the pressure off him through a lot of the playoffs for those last two titles. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

You misspelled Manu...
and the bitchass in H-town.

Both of the guys I mentioned were flopping when Manu was still wearing diapers in Argentina. And you need to be more specific about the bitchass in Houston.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Both of the guys I mentioned were flopping when Manu was still wearing diapers in Argentina. And you need to be more specific about the bitchass in Houston.

If the context is flopping, I’m guessing Harden.  If it’s general bitchassedness, Russ.

• Like 1

and some drama unfolds...

Former Chicago Bulls forward Horace Grant has fired back at claims Michael Jordan made about him during "The Last Dance" documentary series on ESPN.

In a radio interview with Kap and Co. on ESPN 1000 in Chicago on Tuesday, Grant said it "is a downright, outright, completely lie" that he leaked much of the information in Sam Smith's famous "The Jordan Rules" book, as Jordan alleged during the documentary.

"Lie, lie, lie. ... If MJ had a grudge with me, let's settle this like men," Grant said during the interview. "Let's talk about it. Or we can settle it another way. But yet and still, he goes out and puts this lie out that I was the source behind [the book]. Sam and I have always been great friends. We're still great friends. But the sanctity of that locker room, I would never put anything personal out there. The mere fact that Sam Smith was an investigative reporter. That he had to have two sources, two, to write a book, I guess. Why would MJ just point me out?

"It's only a grudge, man. I'm telling you, it was only a grudge. And I think he proved that during this so-called documentary. When if you say something about him, he's going to cut you off, he's going to try to destroy your character." Grant, who helped Jordan and the Bulls win three NBA championships from 1991 to '93, noted that some of Jordan's closest relationships have deteriorated over the years because of critical comments made about him.

"Charles Barkley, they've been friends for over 20, 30 years," Grant said. "And he said something about Michael's management with the Charlotte Bobcats or the Charlotte Hornets, and then they haven't spoken since then. And my point is, he said that I was the snitch, but yet and still after 35 years he brings up his rookie year going into one of his teammates' rooms and seeing coke, and weed and women. My point is: Why the hell did he want to bring that up? What's that got to do with anything? I mean, if you want to call somebody a snitch, that's a damn snitch right there."

Like other former teammates, Grant was unhappy with the portrayal of various players and situations throughout the documentary.

"I would say [it was] entertaining, but we know, who was there as teammates, that about 90% of it -- I don't know if I can say it on air, but B.S. in terms of the realness of it," Grant said. "It wasn't real -- because a lot of things [Jordan] said to some of his teammates, that his teammates went back at him. But all of that was kind of edited out of the documentary, if you want to call it a documentary."

One of the storylines throughout the documentary centered on Jordan's bullying of his teammates. Grant said Jordan's behavior sometimes crossed the line.

"He felt that he could dominate me, but that was sadly mistaken," Grant said. "Because whenever he went at me, I went at him right back. But in terms of Will Perdue, Steve Kerr and the young man, Scott Burrell, that was heartbreaking [to watch]. To see a guy, a leader, to go at those guys like that. I understand in terms of practicing, you have a push and shove here and there, but outright punching and things of that nature. And calling them the B's and the H's; that wasn't called for."

In a separate interview earlier this month on KNBR in San Francisco, Smith relayed a story about Jordan telling flight attendants not to serve Grant food on the plane after a bad game. Grant said Tuesday that the story is true, but also said he always went right back at Jordan after the criticism.

"Anybody [who] knows me, as a rookie, if anybody comes up and tries to snatch my food away, I'm going to do my best to beat their ass," Grant said. "And believe me, back then, I could have took MJ in a heartbeat. Yes, it's true that he told the flight attendant, 'Well, don't give him anything because he played like crap.' And I went right back at him. I said some choice words that I won't repeat here. But I said some choice words and stood up. 'If you want it, you come and get it.' And of course, he didn't move. He was just barking. But that was the story. But anybody [who] knows me, where I come from and what I stand for, come on, man. There's nobody in this earth would ever come and try to take food off my plate and not get their rear ends beaten."

Grant added this in a separate Zoom call he did with Betonline.AG on Monday in which former Bulls Ron Harper, Bill Cartwright, Craig Hodge also participated.

"Let me clear something up about this food thing, that he tried to take my food," Grant said. "I would have beat his ass, guys ... you come back and try to take my food? I would have whipped his ass. [There] wouldn't be no Air Jordans right now. It wouldn't be no six championships, I guarantee you that."

Grant said on Kap and Co. that the last time he spoke with Jordan was about three years ago in a series of text messages about golf. Grant said he thinks they would be respectful toward each other if they saw each other, but he isn't concerned about whether the relationship has run its course.

"The crazy thing, for one of my charities he sent me an autographed pair of shoes," Grant said. "I don't understand it. If he had some difference with me, he could have text me, he could have called me, the whole nine yards. But if I see him today, we would hopefully pay our respects to each other because we went through three championships together. But if not, believe me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it."

Grant also defended former teammate Scottie Pippen, who has not spoken publicly since the documentary began to air last month. As ESPN's Jackie MacMullan wrote earlier this month, Pippen has been stung by his portrayal in the documentary.

"I have never seen a quote unquote No. 2 guy, as decorated as Scottie Pippen, portrayed so badly," Grant said when asked whether he thinks Pippen was portrayed fairly in the documentary, which detailed his decision not to play the final seconds of a 1994 playoff game.

"In terms of the migraine, in terms of the 1.[8] seconds, [Jordan calling him] selfish. I have never seen this in all of my life. ... Pip was out there in Game 6 [of the '98 Finals], could barely walk, getting knocked down on his back. Tried to do whatever he could to help that team. My point is, why was that 1.[8] seconds in the documentary, so-called documentary, about Pip?

"MJ wasn't even on the team. Why was that in there? We handled that that year really well as a team. Pip knows that he was wrong for doing it. ... Bill Cartwright stood up and said what he had to say, and then we handled it. It was over. It was over. We go on to take the Knicks to seven games. It was over. Why bring that up? That's my question to everybody out there who's listening."

The interview concluded with Grant being asked why he repeatedly referred to "The Last Dance" as a "so-called documentary." Some have pointed to the fact that two of Jordan's closest confidantes, Estee Portnoy and Curtis Polk, were executive producers on the docuseries as an indication that Jordan had final say and creative control over the project. Director Jason Hehir has pushed back against that criticism, but Grant didn't hesitate to discuss what he believes to be a biased point of view in favor of Jordan.

"When that so-called documentary is about one person, basically, and he has the last word on what's going to be put out there ... it's not a documentary," Grant said. "It's his narrative of what happens in the last, quote-unquote, dance. That's not a documentary, because a whole bunch of things was cut out, edited out. So that's why I call it a so-called documentary."

• Like 1

Anybody hear the interview with Hehir where he said, when asked why only Jordan ate the pizza, that Jordan spit on it to make sure that no one else could eat any because he was butt hurt that his trainer, best friend, and whoever else was in the room ate earlier without telling him?

A little surprised that he didn't use that in the doc to prove the extent of Jordan's killer instinct or some shit.

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Anybody hear the interview with Hehir where he said, when asked why only Jordan ate the pizza, that Jordan spit on it to make sure that no one else could eat any because he was butt hurt that his trainer, best friend, and whoever else was in the room ate earlier without telling him?

A little surprised that he didn't use that in the doc to prove the extent of Jordan's killer instinct or some shit.

Well, Mike’s sister accused their father of constant rape and abuse and they didn’t put that in the documentary either. I guess they didn’t want to paint the family to be total fucking assholes, just mild assholes.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, Hate said:

Those were dark dark days.

I know it sounds like I’m whining, but some of those were really bad kick in the junk type of losses. In 1978, we were up 3-1 in the ECF only to lose to the Bullets. In 1989, we were a horribly stupid pass by Rod Strickland from going to the WCF. In 1995, we had home court in WCF and lost. In 2004, we were .4 away from going to the WCF. In 2006, we were a stupid foul by Manu away from going to the Finals. In 2012, we had no answer for KD, Harden, and Westbrook after being up 2-0. In 2013, we were 2 missed FT’s and a rebound away from a title. Thank God for the titles they did win or I’d be emotionally dead.

It all equaled out in 2006. Terry should not have been suspended for game 6 coming back to Dallas. Then in the Finals, Stackhouse was suspended for game 5 for doing a love tap on Shaq. Stern had a hard on for Cuban in those days. 

But the 2nd round of Mavs/Spurs should have been the WCF but they had dumb ass seeding rules back then. Mavs were the 2nd best team record wise but had to play from the 4 seed. One of my all time favorite series. 

For the Mavs, 2003 was one that got away from us. Tied 1-1 coming back to Dallas in the WCF against y'all and then Dirk goes down. They had a good run that year. I am not as mad about the game 6 meltdown when Kerr went crazy at the end because no way Dallas goes to SA in game 7 without Dirk and win.

Edited by Vic Mackey

Wright Thompson on MJ and growing up in Carolina.  It's not my favorite WT piece ever but it's pretty damn good. It traces the Jordan family back generations on practically the same land to his ancestor John Jordan who was born a slave.

You should read everything Thompson writes.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29180890/michael-jordan-history-flight

Edited by Post Oak

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

It all equaled out in 2006. Terry should not have been suspended for game 6 coming back to Dallas. Then in the Finals, Stackhouse was suspended for game 5 for doing a love tap on Shaq. Stern had a hard on for Cuban in those days. 

But the 2nd round of Mavs/Spurs should have been the WCF but they had dumb ass seeding rules back then. Mavs were the 2nd best team record wise but had to play from the 4 seed. One of my all time favorite series. 

For the Mavs, 2003 was one that got away from us. Tied 1-1 coming back to Dallas in the WCF against y'all and then Dirk goes down. They had a good run that year. I am not as mad about the game 6 meltdown when Kerr went crazy at the end because no way Dallas goes to SA in game 7 without Dirk and win.

He punched a dude in the nuts. You think he shouldn’t have been suspended?

52 minutes ago, Kermit said:

He punched a dude in the nuts. You think he shouldn’t have been suspended?

There was one camera angle where you could faintly see something that resembled Terry making some motion towards Finley. That's it. Unless the NBA had access to hidden cameras no one else has access to. Because no angle shown from the tv cameras showed anything of substance. Fine him and move on. I don't think anything connected.

But anyways, he came back in game 7 and we took the Spurs soul in overtime. 

16 hours ago, Kermit said:

Well, Mike’s sister accused their father of constant rape and abuse and they didn’t put that in the documentary either. I guess they didn’t want to paint the family to be total fucking assholes, just mild assholes.

The allegation did happen.

https://newsone.com/105811/michael-jordans-sister-accuses-father-of-rape/

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

There was one camera angle where you could faintly see something that resembled Terry making some motion towards Finley. That's it. Unless the NBA had access to hidden cameras no one else has access to. Because no angle shown from the tv cameras showed anything of substance. Fine him and move on. I don't think anything connected.

But anyways, he came back in game 7 and we took the Spurs soul in overtime. 

I see a fist connect with some balls. This isn’t a zapruder film. Dude should’ve known better. He probably wouldn’t have been suspended had Artest and the Pacers not gone goon the year before. Hell, now they’d just review it on the court. I’m sure his heartfelt apology after the incident belied his true feelings. God, that was a good series. Probably the best I’ve ever seen. I still amazes me that the Spurs were able to take so many haymakers in 20 years that would’ve destroyed other teams and just keep running it back at a high level. 

On 5/20/2020 at 4:54 AM, Kermit said:

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Wow. I had no idea. And I thought the pizza story was the biggest fudged fact in the commercial. Pretty scummy of MJ to protect his father’s memory by peddling this “great dad/great man” narrative. At the very least he could have just erased him from the story like he did to his sister and own family. Feel like I need a shower now.

That also came on the heels of Juwan Howard going going goon in 2001 and taking out Derek Anderson. There was a history of bad blood between these teams and I’m sure the league wanted to keep things from boiling over. At any rate, fuck the mavs and Jason Terry...oh and fuck Cuban too (although I do like him outside of his mavs ownership).

And Vic, it’s kind of hard to say you stole a team’s soul that went on to win two more titles after that. You prevented a 3peat is all you really did in 2006. And how about that performance by Dwayne Wade in the 2006 Finals?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Agreed. I do think the 1998 bulls in current form could beat the 2020 warriors in current form.

The 96 Bulls team was better than the 98 team. You could make an argument that the 92 team was better as well.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:38 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope, hated that they fucked up a beautiful sport with those kinds of tactics.

Yes because watching 4 guys stand around while their teammate jacks up another 3 is so much more entertaining. 

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Wow. I had no idea. And I thought the pizza story was the biggest fudged fact in the commercial. Pretty scummy of MJ to protect his father’s memory by peddling this “great dad/great man” narrative. At the very least he could have just erased him from the story like he did to his sister and own family. Feel like I need a shower now.

Yeah, This is why I’m usually out on documentaries in general. It’s so easy to make it seem like the doc paints the full picture, when in fact, the creators can skip over critical details.

Making a Murderer was the same way. all these people talk like they know the guy was innocent and have no clue he’d been caught burning cats alive as a teenager and there was a ton of other info corroborating his guilt. 

Anyways, I watched the Last Dance for pure entertainment during a time without sports, but I never expected a doc that required MJ’s full sign off on every single thing included in the doc to be even close to an accurate depiction of everything that happened in his career.

It was really more like MJ’s memoir than a documentary. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

The 96 Bulls team was better than the 98 team. You could make an argument that the 92 team was better as well.

Yes because watching 4 guys stand around while their teammate jacks up another 3 is so much more entertaining. 

I don't even watch the NBA today. It sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Other than Houston bastardizing the analytical approach, what teams are doing that? There's more movement and passing in the NBA then there's ever been. There's just as many points in the paint. 

I agree, the league has gone a little too 3-crazy, but only at the expense of the mid-range shot, not motion or passing. Do you really miss the baseline 18-footer that much?

• Like 1