Texas Men's Golf

texasstrong12

safe to say at this point that the big 12 is a men's golf conference...

texas is currently in 1st in raleigh by 13 strokes over ncstate on ncstate's home course.

ou is in 1st by a stroke in norman.

okie state is in 1st by 6 strokes in columbus.

iowa state is in 1st, tied with kansas by 8 strokes in pacific.

kansas is in 1st, tied with iowa state by 8 strokes in pacific.

baylor is in 3rd in college station.

tcu is in 4th in pacific.

tech is in 5th in columbus.

all 8 big 12 teams that are in regionals would be in the ncaa championships if the current standings hold...with winners in 4 of the 6 regionals.

The top two ranked teams (Georgia Tech #4 and Cal #9) didn't advance. 

We can do some serious damage at the NCAA Championships as long as Chervony, Soosman and Jones are decent. Ghim and Scheffler are really good. 

Edited by texasstrong12

well we should certainly be positioned to make it out of stroke and into match given that we're headed back to karsten creek for the ncaa's.

however, given that it is there, the overwhelming favorites to win it all have to be okie state and ou sucks.  hopefully it goes better than the big 12 championships where we ate shit pretty bad and finished tied at 2nd with osu.  doug and scottie finished tied for first and fifth in big 12 but the other three need to pick up their karsten game and hit some straight drives.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:16 AM, Austin Orange said:

I thought UT Golf Club was supposed to host the NCAA Championship this year or next? I don’t see it on the list to host any of the next 4-5 Championships. 

Did something change or am I off here?

I think it is a regional, but can't recall for sure.  Just did a little digging.  Apparently the women had a regional there this year.  Maybe that's what I saw.

UT does not appear anywhere in the next couple years (though I could have sworn I saw the same thing you did).

Edited by DDD Dad

bad weather in stillwater has everything screwed up on timing.  horns still haven't teed off and doubt they get in 18 today.  predictably, ou has the hottest start.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=15139

Horns finished first round pretty well and tied for 3rd this morning. They are getting their lunch eaten across the board starting on the back 9 today. They really need to bounce back at the turn to the easier front. 

They recovered decently on the front 9 and cut a few strokes. A lot of teams in front of us by 1-5 strokes still haven’t played yet today. Course appears to be playing extremely hard today so hopefully they realign and we pass them. 

horns done for the day.  not the best day at +7...putting them at +11 overall.  drew has not been very good his weekend and steven/spencer have really struggled too.  scottie and doug have been very good.  currently sitting at 11th which should put us into tomorrow's top 15 cut.  only three strokes off 8th to make it into match play.  have to be on point in the top 15.

That course seems to have some weird voodoo going on. Yesterday Bama set the the record low round for team cousre, then comes back today and shoots like +13, while Duke shatters that record set the day before.

Edited by bamachine

7 hours ago, bamachine said:

That course seems to have some weird voodoo going on. Yesterday Bama set the the record low round for team cousre, then comes back today and shoots like +13, while Duke shatters that record set the day before.

Who has the best overall players to win in match play?

3 hours ago, Trent Whaley said:

Not too sure, I just passingly keep up with the Bama team until this time of year. I know they have been up and down this season, as high as the number 1 spot, as low as like 20. So you can imagine how little I have studied the rest of the teams.

15 hours ago, bamachine said:

Welcome to Karsten Creek. 

8 hours ago, Trent Whaley said:

Once we get into match play, it is hard to see how anyone knocks off OU or OSU. Too much of a home court advantage. But teams have shown they can briefly get very hot this weekend. 

We probably need to be at less than +3 today if we want to make it into the top 8. 

Spencer, Steven, and Drew need to really step it up and Doug/Scottie have to keep kicking ass. Texas, Bama, Agros, Kent State, Auburn, Arkansas, and Clemson are all right there. 

Match play set...

1 Okie State v 8 Agros

2 Duke v 7 Texas

3 Tech v 6 Bama

4 ou sucks v 5 Auburn

i like this draw for us if duke plays like they did today. Also, forces ou sucks and pokes to play each other in semis. 

2 hours ago, sidis said:

Match play set...

1 Okie State v 8 Agros

2 Duke v 7 Texas

3 Tech v 6 Bama

4 ou sucks v 5 Auburn

i like this draw for us if duke plays like they did today. Also, forces ou sucks and pokes to play each other in semis. 

Wow.  3 Texas teams.  4 Big XII.  No PAC.

Horns and Duke tied 2-2.  Ghim tied thru 17.  Ghim not having good round.

needs great 3rd shot to get close to pin.  Duke player already on in 2.  Unless a complete meltdown by Duke player, Ghim's gonna lose the hole and the match and not advance to semis.

Duke player sinks the eagle shot.  Duke wins hole and match.  Horns eliminated.  

• 4 weeks later...

Figured this was as good a place as any to post this. Sat next to Ben Crenshaw today on way to SFO. Had nice conversation about how he got into course design, how technology was making it difficult to design courses for all skill levels to use. Spoke about the football team as well. Super nice guy and I really enjoyed getting to talk with a legend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

From "The Eyes of Texas"

THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE ON GOLF

Texas golf coach John Fields made sure to get out to Austin Country Club on Wednesday to show a nice, Longhorns’ welcome home to Jordan Spieth, who helped UT and Fields win the 2012 national title. Spieth had to pull off some serious shot-making down the stretch on Wednesday to earn a “halved” match with Billy Horschel in his opening round of the WGC-Dell Matchplay.

Currently ranked No. 28 in the world, Spieth is the only Longhorn in the field at this year’s Dell Match Play, the world’s premier match play event featuring the planet’s top 64 players. And watch out for Fields’ Longhorns, who feature three stud freshmen — Cole Hammer and brothers Parker and Pierceson Coody — who are growing up before our eyes. In the fall, eighth-ranked Texas took down the nation’s No. 1 and No. 2 teams — Oklahoma and Oklahoma State — in the Big 12 Match Play Tournament.

Earlier this month, Fields’ Longhorns finished second by one stroke to No. 5 Arizona State at the Lamkin Classic at San Diego Country Club as Hammer, Coody and Coody all finished in the top 10 individual standings. The Big 12 Championship in late April at The Greenbrier in West Virginia could very well be a preview of the NCAA Championship this year.

• 1 month later...

3 Big 12 Men's Teams are #1 seeds - OSU, OU and Texas.

Of all the #1 seeds, only Texas is playing at home (yay for pre-determined regional sites!)

OU - Pullman Regional
ASU - Stanford Regional
Wake Forest - Myrtle Beach Regional
OSU - Louisville Regional
Vanderbilt - Athens Regional
Texas - Austin Regional

Texas is the #1 seed in Austin

AUSTIN REGIONAL

University of Texas Golf Club, Austin, Texas
Hosted by Texas

Teams (listed by seed; conference champs in brackets)
Texas
USC
Pepperdine [West Coast]
Clemson
TCU
Arkansas [Southeastern]
Iowa
Marquette [Big East]
San Jose State
Saint Mary’s (Calif.)
Sam Houston State [Southland]
University of Missouri-Kansas City [WAC]
Prairie View A&M [SWAC]
Army [Patriot League]

Individuals
Blake Elliott, McNeese
Angus Flanagan, Minnesota
Cody Burrows, Oral Roberts
Jake Benson, Rice
Jeffrey Peters, Saint Peter’s

Edited by Js1

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

Top 5 and lowest individual score for a team that doesn’t advance 

Thanks.... Hope Horns play well and move forward.  Today saw good segment on Coody twins on LHN'S Longhorn Extra.... 🤘

• 2 weeks later...