Texas Men's Golf

texasstrong12

Hopefully Hammer isn’t considering leaving to go pro yet

He’s not going anywhere soon. He’s been committed since the 8th grade, looking forward to his time at UT. Plus he’s not ready for the pros.
He doesn’t need the money as his dad is loaded. He’s the CIO of Enterprise Products as well as the Duncan Family Trust. Enterprise is a $60 billion company and the Duncan family is the 8th richest in the country.

I'm not sold on this format as the best way to determine a champion.  OkState beat everyone by 30 strokes.  They have been the clear #1 team all year and were clearly the best team here, notwithstanding that one match against Texas.  This format ramdomizes the process a little too much for my liking.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

I'm not sold on this format as the best way to determine a champion.  OkState beat everyone by 30 strokes.  They have been the clear #1 team all year and were clearly the best team here, notwithstanding that one match against Texas.  This format ramdomizes the process a little too much for my liking.

I agree it sucks for OSU, but man I love the high stakes nature of match play. 

Congratulations to the guys - hell of a run!  Look forward to a run a great seasons with the youth of the current team.  Not been too shabby of a year for the men - top 10 in football, 2nd place in swimming & golf and 1st in tennis.  T&F coach was a great hire and I expect them to be back to top 10 status very soon.  If we can just get basketball & baseball performing, we should have top 10 teams across the board.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Match play is the best and only way to determine a champion. Hitting a shot in front of your direct competitor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

The Ryder Cup is popular for fans, and the best team sometimes doesn't win that event either.   Agree that the most talented teams don't always win in Match Play, but I love watching the one-on-one matches like Hammer vs Wolff and how it takes a great team effort to win.

When building a College Golf roster a coach has to put together a talented enough team to qualify in stroke play while also making sure the players can excel in Match Play competition.  Okie Lite was awesome in stroke play competition, but were not as fierce yesterday in either of their matches  vs SMU and Texas.  So for me, it's ok that Okie Lite didn't win the 2019 Championship because they didn't play that well in the quarters and semi-finals.

Match play has been in place in College Golf for a longtime.... I think it's great!!  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

It does indeed suck for us. That’s the third time we’ve come in with the best team and proved it over 4 days using the same format everybody plays all season. And then we lose the NC in a format that we never played all season (that’s starting to change some now). It’s definitely the stupidest way to determine a NC in the history of sports.

With that said, it’s exciting as hell! Who would have still been watching by day 3 of stroke play? The only suspense was individual medalist and that was over way before round 4 ended. So I see why they do it, but it’s not a good way to determine the best team. But it’s not going anywhere either.

The solution for OSU is quit winning stroke play.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

It’s definitely the stupidest way to determine a NC in the history of sports.

Hi!  I'm 1990's NCAA Baseball!  We decided to have a full double-elimination bracket, but then when only two teams remained, we figured, 'Screw it! Forget all this ridiculous double-elimination stuff we've been doing for the entire tournament to this point, let's just end with a single winner-take-all game!'.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

It does indeed suck for us. That’s the third time we’ve come in with the best team and proved it over 4 days using the same format everybody plays all season. And then we lose the NC in a format that we never played all season (that’s starting to change some now). It’s definitely the stupidest way to determine a NC in the history of sports.

With that said, it’s exciting as hell! Who would have still been watching by day 3 of stroke play? The only suspense was individual medalist and that was over way before round 4 ended. So I see why they do it, but it’s not a good way to determine the best team. But it’s not going anywhere either.

Agreed to some extent. But having played a bunch of tournaments in my past, its a different game with Match play vs. Stroke. And not to take anything away from OSU and their overall excellence, but making golf a one on one matchup is fun. You have to beat your opponent and now its not just you against yourself, but you against someone else. Its an added challenge. It isn't for every tournament, but for the NC, you need to face off against your opponent and I like this format. Prove your team is good. Prove your players can stand up to the challenge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexLonghorn said:

Hi!  I'm 1990's NCAA Baseball!  We decided to have a full double-elimination bracket, but then when only two teams remained, we figured, 'Screw it! Forget all this ridiculous double-elimination stuff we've been doing for the entire tournament to this point, let's just end with a single winner-take-all game!'.

Baseball screwed the pooch and changed the format. Texas got screwed two years because of this. Flip those years and Texas wins both titles based on the format. They lost both. But golf and baseball are different sports. I really like the format now in NCAA golf. You prove your team is good, then you check the mettle of the individual players in head to head combat. Golf is an individual game, so show what you can do as an individual when someone is right there matching you shot for shot. Its much easier when your score may/may not count because your team is full of badass golfers and you are 20 strokes in the lead. Its much different head to head and you have a one-shot lead going into the final hole.

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Honestly, if the NCAA golf championship was stroke play only, I wouldn't bother watching. 5 guys combining to play stroke play leads to finishes that are not exciting. 

Today and yesterday were the only times I've followed college golf all year. 

Edited by housious
  • Like 2

Gawd!!!! You just hit the sorest of sore spots for long time OSU baseball fans. We were the first team to get fucked by that too!

Agreed to some extent. But having played a bunch of tournaments in my past, its a different game with Match play vs. Stroke. And not to take anything away from OSU and their overall excellence, but making golf a one on one matchup is fun. You have to beat your opponent and now its not just you against yourself, but you against someone else. Its an added challenge. It isn't for every tournament, but for the NC, you need to face off against your opponent and I like this format. Prove your team is good. Prove your players can stand up to the challenge.

Oh I agree it’s a blast. And if I was a fan of any other program, I’d be all for it. If I’m being honest, I’m kind of all for it anyway. Even I wouldn’t have watched much of it this weekend if it was just stroke play. I just don’t like the season being played one way and the champion being determined in a completely different format. Why can’t we play match play all the time during season instead of using an irrelevant format? You could get 16, maybe even 32 teams, together and do match play. The losers continue playing against other losers while the winners are playing in the other side of the bracket. At the end, you should pretty well be able to determine places 1-32. Easy fix. If they did that, nobody could complain.

Amateur golf championships decided by match play? That's so weird!

You know, aside from every major amateur golf championship.

U.S. Amateur - Stroke play then match play
British Amateur - Stroke play then match play
U.S. Mid-Amateur - Stroke play then match play
U.S. Junior Amateur - Stroke play then match play
NCAA Championships - Stroke play then match play BUT WAIT THIS IS SO DUMB AND WEIRD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

NCAA Championships - Stroke play then match play BUT WAIT THIS IS SO DUMB AND WEIRD

giphy.gif

Yeah, gotta agree match play is far more exciting, and the proper way to determine a championship TEAM. It makes an “individual” sport as close to a team sport as possible. The solution to Go Pokes complaint is to have more match play events during the season. When you have one or two phenoms, stroke play makes you unbeatable, and that significantly undercuts the purpose of having team scoring. 

• Like 1

Yeah, gotta agree match play is far more exciting, and the proper way to determine a championship TEAM. It makes an “individual” sport as close to a team sport as possible. The solution to Go Pokes complaint is to have more match play events during the season. When you have one or two phenoms, stroke play makes you unbeatable, and that significantly undercuts the purpose of having team scoring. 

Well, we had four Top 50 players and still lost. Sometimes you have an off day or your opponent plays lights out and that won't work with match play.

I don't really care all that much either way, but I am annoyed that we could have 14 titles right now instead of 11 and I also think it's bullshit to say match play is for TV when nobody outside of a few fanatics watch college golf on TV regardless of the format.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This x1000, Match play is the heart of a amateur golf 

It was a damn strong final four this year. Any team could have won it 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Match play and stroke play are barely even the same thing. Okie state has the best stroke play team. Not even close. Unfortunately for them that isn't how the national championship is determined. 

I like the set up as is. Determine the individual champ and qualifying via stroke then head to head. 

I don't know how many regular season tournaments do match play. Only one I know of is Cal Poly. Would imagine some others do it, but it's rare. 

That being said, @tx 3 putt is correct. Match play is the heart of amateur golf. 

On 5/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, LTtxfan said:

Okie Lite feels the pain of not making the Finals...

I actually ventured over to our board to see how they were taking it and I was shocked.  They're actually taking it really well (practice makes perfect).  They weren't throwing around excuses.  Hardly even any mention of the darkness.  It was quite a shock for that place.  It's like a bunch of sensible adults hacked everybody's account.  

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

This x1000, Match play is the heart of a amateur golf 

It was a damn strong final four this year. Any team could have won it 

I would actually watch college golf during the regular season if they made almost all the tournaments match play.  Assuming someone would televise it.  You could put together a damn strong field within driving distance (kind of) of Austin.

UT, aggy, OSU, OU, TCU, Baylor, LSU, Tech, SMU.  Shit, or make it an SEC-Big XII showdown.  That would be a blast.  

17 hours ago, Okie State said:

Well, we had four Top 50 players and still lost. Sometimes you have an off day or your opponent plays lights out and that won't work with match play.

I don't really care all that much either way, but I am annoyed that we could have 14 titles right now instead of 11 and I also think it's bullshit to say match play is for TV when nobody outside of a few fanatics watch college golf on TV regardless of the format.

Us fanatics probably wouldn't watch it if it was stroke play.  Like Squish said, match play during the regular season is the way to go.  

The only real issue with this tournament was pace of play, takes the NCAA caring. Clearly they do not care as they held the tournament at The Blessings, awful course designed by an overrated architect. The next 3 years they head to a Fazio design, boring and lazy by the powers that be. 

US W Open being played at a Raynor masterpiece this week encourages me to watch. Every decision should not be made with greased palms. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

CONGRATS to Dylan Frittelli who shot a 64 today at the John Deere Classic and got his first win on the PGA Tour... With the win, Dylan qualifies for THE OPEN 🤘  

dp
Edited by LTtxfan