Rock bottom?

Fastbreak

Did everyone just forget that this is nearly the exact team that got the last staff fired? I realize there were other glaring issues with Herman, but the point remains. 

when was the last time a completely new staff took over and won something of consequence the first year? This is still a, realistically, 10 win team, or should be. Some people need to grow the fuck and let them little BB size balls drop. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Jesus you would think today was the 2011 or 2012 ou game. Those were far worse.

There were 5 in a row from 71-75, the first 3 by a combined score of 127-40 and that was with decent teams.  Then there were 86 and 87, 12-47 and 9-44 with bad teams.  Those were drinking games.  Think 2 of us finished a bucket of margaritas during that 86 game.

Most of you kids are too young to remember some real rock bottom times,
3-66
9-10
3-46
14-63
13-65
0-12
0-24
Today totally sucked ass, but for several reasons this is far from the most hopeless I’ve felt about UT football.
Side note: Route 66 was by far the worst game I’ve ever attended.  Not only was that the most ridiculous UT attempt at a football performance I’ve ever seen, it was also hot as shit that day and we stayed until the eyes.  I was in school at the time and I met a random chick at a party the night before.  She gave me a nice blowjob before the game and then after the game she fucked me to cheer me up.  She was hot and she was 18.....I took it for granted at the time, but as an old married man I look back and even the worst UT football day I’ve ever witnessed created some fond memories!  UT will kick ass in football again, but I will never get to repeat the other activities of that day.  
I was there, I member. The game, not the beej. About 50 people left for the eyes.

33 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

Did everyone just forget that this is nearly the exact team that got the last staff fired? I realize there were other glaring issues with Herman, but the point remains. 

when was the last time a completely new staff took over and won something of consequence the first year? This is still a, realistically, 10 win team, or should be. Some people need to grow the fuck and let them little BB size balls drop. 

Mack's first year was a pretty big turn around from 97. 4-7 to 9-3 with a Cotton Bowl win back when that meant something. They also beat aggy and won at Nebraska. Only bad loss was to Tech but that was in Lubbock. Losing to Kansas State back then wasn't a crime. Granted, he had a Heisman trophy winning running back but he was breaking in a brand new QB and the same sorry defense that got Route 66ed by UCLA. 

Edited by mdmost

I don’t post much, but get the fuck out of here with Rock Bottom. Miami Cotton Bowl, they basically made a production of what constitutes Unsportsmanlike Behavior and Personal Fouls, and laughed while they were doing it. 66-3, 60 to whateverasswippings early MB, Coach Potato era, Maryland losses. Shit. 

The kids will will be alright. We’ll get some OL in here and hopefully Arch and things will be ok.

DGAF if this is unpopular or not, but it's accurate: Yesterday absolutely fucking sucked. It was the most gutting loss for me since Tech '08. However, while Oklahoma is the game that 100 percent without question want to win more than any on the schedule, in a vacuum it's also probably the least important game on the 2021 schedule in terms of games the Texas program needs to win in order to believe there is and will be progress under Sark. As far as yesterday is concerned, the Athletic did a piece a while back that was an anonymous survey of recruiting coordinators and one thing they said was that winning and losing isn't as important as you think it would be to recruits. Their line of thinking is that they'll come in and make weak spots better. So a historic pants shitting really fucking sucks, but the net loss overall probably isn't much. So why are the other games more important? Here's Texas' record against the rest of the middle tier Big 12 teams since 2010:

Baylor: 6-5
Iowa State: 7-4 (3-3 last six)
Oklahoma State: 4-7
Kansas State: 6-5
TCU: 3-7
West Virginia: 5-4

We all want Texas to be this big swinging dick program and go 14-0 every year, but shit man, we gotta get back to 10 win seasons regularly before that and that shit ain't gonna happen until we start beating the rest of the Big 12 teams (as long as we're still in this limp dick conference) So no, yesterday wasn't rock bottom.  Yesterday was probably a Top-5 stomach punch loss in the last 40 years, but everything you want to achieve is still in front of you. Start by kicking Okie Lite's ass, handle your business the rest of the year, get the rematch with OU and finish the fucking job this time. Can they do it? That's not the point. The point is there's still plenty you can achieve this year.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
14 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:
3-66
9-10
3-46
14-63
13-65
0-12
0-24
Today totally sucked ass, but for several reasons this is far from the most hopeless I’ve felt about UT football.
Side note: Route 66 was by far the worst game I’ve ever attended.  Not only was that the most ridiculous UT attempt at a football performance I’ve ever seen, it was also hot as shit that day and we stayed until the eyes.  I was in school at the time and I met a random chick at a party the night before.  She gave me a nice blowjob before the game and then after the game she fucked me to cheer me up.  She was hot and she was 18.....I took it for granted at the time, but as an old married man I look back and even the worst UT football day I’ve ever witnessed created some fond memories!  UT will kick ass in football again, but I will never get to repeat the other activities of that day.  

I was there, I member. The game, not the beej. About 50 people left for the eyes.

There were more than 50 of us.  Probably a couple thousand along with a couple thousand UCLA fans.  It was a good day for our #4 QB after 3 got injured.  Didn't he get a modeling contract after being seen?

We made a point to get seats in the shade on the west side.  My wife would have passed out without that.  She barely made it as it was.  That was the worst in person or otherwise.

35 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

We all want Texas to be this big swinging dick program and go 14-0 every year, but shit man, we gotta get back to 10 win seasons regularly before that and that shit ain't gonna happen until we start beating the rest of the Big 12 teams (as long as we're still in this limp dick conference) So no, yesterday wasn't rock bottom.  Yesterday was probably a Top-5 stomach punch loss in the last 40 years, but everything you want to achieve is still in front of you. Start by kicking Okie Lite's ass, handle your business the rest of the year, get the rematch with OU and finish the fucking job this time. Can they do it? That's not the point. The point is there's still plenty you can achieve this year.

Exactly.  And if by some amazing turn of event we end up in the CCG and get a rematch, let me let you guys in on a little unpopular secret..we will probably lose..again.  Why?  Because even though OU isn’t a world killer this year, they remain significantly better then us at key positions. They have a good OLine, a functional QB, multiple good receivers, and a coach that has been doing a good job for a while.  Meanwhile we have absolute dog shit for Oline, 1 functional receiver who just got his first pube 12 months ago, a QB who is as accurate as a Iraqi SCUD missile, a walk on starting LB, and a coaching staff that is still trying to figure out what they got and who they can count on.  We took that and went toe to toe with a top 10 team and almost pulled it off but ran out of steam mainly because of said dog shit oline that couldn’t stay on the field for more than 3 plays and that completely gassed our defense.  So relax.  We should of never been up 21 points to get gut punched in the first place.  That fact that we were ever in that position with this shit team is an absolute miracle.   The portal will absolutely be our friend this off season cause any olineman who is looking for playing time will know they have a starting spot with us.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-10-07/georgia-tech-222-cumberland-college-0-history-weird-facts

for a little perspective:  Georgia Tech 222  Cumberland 0.

"....24 — Total touchdowns by Georgia Tech that took one or zero plays. Tech had seven defensive touchdowns, six kick-return touchdowns, and 11 touchdowns from one-play drives on offense.

10 — Of the 28 offensive plays run by Georgia Tech that did not go for touchdowns. 

2 — Georgia Tech drives that took three plays to score. Tech had zero drives of four plays or more.

MORE HISTORY: College football teams with the most national championships

0 — Fourth downs faced by Georgia Tech.

0 — First downs made in the game, by either team. Cumberland either punted or turned the ball over on every set of downs it had, while Georgia Tech scored a touchdown on every set it had.

0 — Georgia Tech plays that went for negative yards.

63 — Points scored by Georgia Tech in both the first and second quarter. 

9 — times Georgia Tech has scored 63 or more points in a game in the 121 games they’ve played since 2010. That’s 7.4 percent.

23 — Successful extra point attempts in a row by Georgia Tech during the first three quarters. Jim Preas hit 18 in the first half, but was replaced by Tommy Spence, who converted five in a row before missing back-to-back tries and getting replaced. Strupper made one in the fourth quarter, and then Bill Fincher hit six more in the fourth, giving Georgia Tech a 30-for-32 mark on the day.

0 — Passes attempted by Georgia Tech. 

4.5 — Points scored per Georgia Tech offensive play. The offense accounted for 126 of the 222 points in the game on just 28 plays."

• Haha 1

It was a miserable loss because we did what we've rarely been able to do with OU in the last couple of decades:  punch em in the fucking mouth.  Repeatedly.  And then we ran out of gas in just about every phase of the game.

But it wasn't rock bottom.

There are some bright spots, for sure, but a lot of questions remain.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We choked away a game to the worst OU team in probably a decade that was playing a true freshman while our in state rival best the best team in the country. It’s bad. Very very bad. This team showed its as irrelevant today as it was then. 

You mean other than the OU team from exactly one year ago that came into our game with 2 losses and unranked?  Your football posts come across like those from a 12 year old paying attention to her first season of football. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You mean other than the OU team from exactly one year ago that came into our game with 2 losses and unranked?  Your football posts come across like those from a 12 year old paying attention to her first season of football. 

I was very angry and very drunk when I posted in this thread. But I do think this OU team is not very good. But the loss with aggy winning was nightmare fuel for my drunk ass. 

• Haha 1

I was very angry and very drunk when I posted in this thread. But I do think this OU team is not very good. But the loss with aggy winning was nightmare fuel for my drunk ass. 

Fuck aggy. Totally fucking irrelevant. So they filled up their jizz jars last night. So what.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I think they have been less than good this year, as they weren't last year.  But, by benching Rattler, I am pretty sure they have found the key to a lot of improvement.  Some other team is probably going to rattle Williams pretty good, though, assuming he starts.

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
16 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:
3-66
9-10
3-46
14-63
13-65
0-12
0-24

Yep.  Route 66 was a total anal rape.    However the Cotton Bowl against Miami we got it without lube.   

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Fuck aggy. Totally fucking irrelevant. So they filled up their jizz jars last night. So what.

Yeah, people are freaking about recruiting.  The Manziel Heisman year didn't affect us that much (didn't make us any shittier in recruiting) and that was a much bigger deal.

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

In light of the ass-whipping I witnessed on January 1, 1991 and the 5-6 season that followed, I'd be hard pressed to say McWilliams recovered with 1990.

Minus a few of the OU games Mack lost, that crap on January 1, 1991 was the worse ass whooping Texas received in that stadium.    We looked like high school kids playing men that they and let us mentally play with us to with their swagger.   The U could’ve been penalized for 400 yards and they still whooped us by the same score.  

Yeah, people are freaking about recruiting.  The Manziel Heisman year didn't affect us that much (didn't make us any shittier in recruiting) and that was a much bigger deal.

University of Texas’ football fortunes are 100% a function of our actions.

If our program ever figures out how to handle its business we will be just fine. aggy matters not.

Appears to be a big if though. But I am hopeful.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

University of Texas’ football fortunes are 100% a function of our actions.

If our program ever figures out how to handle its business we will be just fine. aggy matters not.

Appears to be a big if though. But I am hopeful.

We need to get lucky on a coaching hire, that's all.

I hope it's Sark. If it isn't, I hope we get lucky with the next hire.

Exactly.  And if by some amazing turn of event we end up in the CCG and get a rematch, let me let you guys in on a little unpopular secret..we will probably lose..again.  Why?  Because even though OU isn’t a world killer this year, they remain significantly better then us at key positions. They have a good OLine, a functional QB, multiple good receivers, and a coach that has been doing a good job for a while.  Meanwhile we have absolute dog shit for Oline, 1 functional receiver who just got his first pube 12 months ago, a QB who is as accurate as a Iraqi SCUD missile, a walk on starting LB, and a coaching staff that is still trying to figure out what they got and who they can count on.  We took that and went toe to toe with a top 10 team and almost pulled it off but ran out of steam mainly because of said dog shit oline that couldn’t stay on the field for more than 3 plays and that completely gassed our defense.  So relax.  We should of never been up 21 points to get gut punched in the first place.  That fact that we were ever in that position with this shit team is an absolute miracle.   The portal will absolutely be our friend this off season cause any olineman who is looking for playing time will know they have a starting spot with us.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

same sorry defense that got Route 66ed by UCLA

Not quite; Casey Hampton was missing was from route 66 and James Brown was hobbled. Mackovic left behind a motherlode and to his credit Mack built on it. Mack left behind garbage. The cupboard really was bare for Strong. He left it a little less bare for Herman and Herman left it a little less bare for Sark. 

20 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Although this was the largest blown lead in Texas football history, this isn't worse than the 2016 Kansas.

We also blew a 21 pt lead against OU in 1995 with Mackovic as coach. Game only ended in a tie when OU missed a last second FG.

11 hours ago, bullet said:

There were more than 50 of us.  Probably a couple thousand along with a couple thousand UCLA fans.  It was a good day for our #4 QB after 3 got injured.  Didn't he get a modeling contract after being seen?

We made a point to get seats in the shade on the west side.  My wife would have passed out without that.  She barely made it as it was.  That was the worst in person or otherwise.

Yeah, that was Marty Cherry LOL

image.jpeg.e99061a59c5e8b24b1fdcbb934608355.jpeg

Edited by Horn Dogg
To include picture

4 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-10-07/georgia-tech-222-cumberland-college-0-history-weird-facts

for a little perspective:  Georgia Tech 222  Cumberland 0.

"....24 — Total touchdowns by Georgia Tech that took one or zero plays. Tech had seven defensive touchdowns, six kick-return touchdowns, and 11 touchdowns from one-play drives on offense.

10 — Of the 28 offensive plays run by Georgia Tech that did not go for touchdowns. 

2 — Georgia Tech drives that took three plays to score. Tech had zero drives of four plays or more.

MORE HISTORY: College football teams with the most national championships

0 — Fourth downs faced by Georgia Tech.

0 — First downs made in the game, by either team. Cumberland either punted or turned the ball over on every set of downs it had, while Georgia Tech scored a touchdown on every set it had.

0 — Georgia Tech plays that went for negative yards.

63 — Points scored by Georgia Tech in both the first and second quarter. 

9 — times Georgia Tech has scored 63 or more points in a game in the 121 games they’ve played since 2010. That’s 7.4 percent.

23 — Successful extra point attempts in a row by Georgia Tech during the first three quarters. Jim Preas hit 18 in the first half, but was replaced by Tommy Spence, who converted five in a row before missing back-to-back tries and getting replaced. Strupper made one in the fourth quarter, and then Bill Fincher hit six more in the fourth, giving Georgia Tech a 30-for-32 mark on the day.

0 — Passes attempted by Georgia Tech. 

4.5 — Points scored per Georgia Tech offensive play. The offense accounted for 126 of the 222 points in the game on just 28 plays."

so when does aggy play Cumberland?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Big_kat said:

Herman got fired because he was a dumbass and had "issues".  I was all for it but lets not forget this nearly exact team would have won 9 and possibly 10 last year and ended up in the top 20.  I realize its a new QB but the D didn't look this bad.  they never gave up 600 yards much less 700 yards last year.  their worst defensive game yardage was 530 against OSU.  their worst game in general was TCU.  garbage O they gave up 450 yards.

so far PK has done a pretty piss poor job and is getting torched in 2nd halfs.  that doesn't bode well.  he got some transfers and they don't play in front of walk-ons.

I'm hoping to see some improvement.

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.  Route 66 was a total anal rape.    However the Cotton Bowl against Miami we got it without lube.   

people forget route 66 was so bad due to turnovers. 5 of them.  they scored 66 points with less than 400 yards

miami was an ass kicking

10 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

You kids have no perspective. Having to witness the complete annihilation of both our offense and defense up close was rock bottom.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.a9cc2e490246962ed7ac0b093dd99f43.jpg

Yesterday was a meltdown, but not 66-3 total hopelessness.  And this is exactly why we've been wandering in the desert for the past decade...dumbass fans think we should automatically be at 10 or 11 wins every year, and when we're not, they want a whole new coaching staff, setting us back more years.  We're literally playing with walk-ons on the defensive side and a converted WR at S.  Not because we want to, but because that's the best of what we have left after years of defections.

And get off my lawn.

I was at that game. Absolute worst performance I’ve ever seen from Texas football. And what made it worse is that we were ranked and UCLA was 0-2 at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I was at that game. Absolute worst performance I’ve ever seen from Texas football. And what made it worse is that we were ranked and UCLA was 0-2 at the time.

At least it was an early beginning to the end of Mackovic.  Weshould have asked him to leave the following week after we barley got by Rice. 

22 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

If you would have told me that rock bottom would be when be when our QB throws for 400 and 5 TDs with no ints…

What I am trying to wrap my head around is how we could not just luck into a decent o-line in 16 years. OU can put out a respectable to great line every year. We’ve had 4 head coaches, 5-6 line coaches, so something else clearly has to be the problem.

This thread is rock bottom.  Damn.  

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

people forget route 66 was so bad due to turnovers. 5 of them.  they scored 66 points with less than 400 yards

miami was an ass kicking

Miami was by far the worst beat down of any of the games listed; from literally the first play of the game (when Chris Samuels got knocked out cold) they shit in the middle of our living room, shoved our faces in it, and told us and the entire country exactly what they were doing….

1 minute ago, Ignatius said:

Miami was by far the worst beat down of any of the games listed; from literally the first play of the game (when Chris Samuels got knocked out cold) they shit in the middle of our living room, shoved our faces in it, and told us and the entire country exactly what they were doing….

That’s a whole segment on The U.    The next season the NCAA tried cracking down on their shit.   Didn’t work.   Lol

9 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

So the #24th team lost by 1 TD to the #6 team and you declare #24 is now set back 6 years?  Come on man…

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

This whole thread is fucking retarded.

8 hours ago, Big_kat said:

7 hours ago, JimmyTwoTimes said:

I don’t post much, but get the fuck out of here with Rock Bottom. Miami Cotton Bowl, they basically made a production of what constitutes Unsportsmanlike Behavior and Personal Fouls, and laughed while they were doing it. 66-3, 60 to whateverasswippings early MB, Coach Potato era, Maryland losses. Shit. 

The kids will will be alright. We’ll get some OL in here and hopefully Arch and things will be ok.

I'll say it again, our fanbase has zero fucking perspective. We just lost by one score to our number 6 ranked primary rival in the final seconds of the game. Yeah I get it, the pain factor is high because at one point we had a three touchdown lead and we gave it up. It's hard to sustain in-game success against the best team in our conference when we are completely depleted at both lines. I think this might be the worst offensive and defensive line combination we've had since I started watching Texas football in 2000 (2015 comes close and we went 5-7 that year). Once they keyed in on crashing into our backfield to disrupt Casey and Bijan, offensive success became highly difficult. Our talent devoid defense got work out and broke to one of the best rushing teams in the nation. I still wonder if Pete K could've sold out more to stop the run but I don't think it would've changed much. At the end of the day, this is the same team that got Herman fired and OU is the same team that rushed for 400 against Florida. Don't even get me started about the refs.

Don't get me wrong, I was beyond infuriated at how our defense played. We missed a lot of tackles. Our players couldn't get off blocks. I still don't fully understand Pete K's schematic approach to stopping run heavy teams. That behind said "Rock Bottom" was the last thing I was thinking yesterday.

I was too young to witness Rout 66, but the last decade has provided me with a fair share of rock bottom experiences. Have your pick:

Both BYU debacles (one with a brand new "hardnosed" staff)

Six TD losses to TCU in 2014 and 2015

59 yards of offense vs Arkansas

Shutout by Iowa State

Half a hundred given up to Cal x 2

Three missed XPs vs. OSU

Kansas

Three straight losing seasons (yet there were a few CS apologists remaining)

Maryland debacle in Herman's opener

Steve Sarkisian has us sitting at 4-2 with one of the best offenses in the nation despite having an absolute disaster at offensive line. We lost one game by 19 (started wrong QB) and another by 7 (overmatched in trenches) and there are posters on here talking about rock bottom and firing Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

UCLA's defense was in our backfield all fucking day.  They hit the snap better than any guy on our line.  It was absolutely brutal.

I left about halfway through the 3rd quarter.  My (soon-to-be-ex) wife looked at me, said "give me the keys, and no, I'm not coming to pick you up if you stay".  Honestly, I would have walked home, I had done it multiple times from campus (to Travis Heights) but I was so damned pissed and totally fried from the heat I just buckled.  Watched the last 10 minutes at home and then questioned why I even did that.

THAT was rock bottom.  Yesterday?  Piker shit.  Lack of developed talent and depth, sky high for 20 minutes, and then we found out their backup QB is twice the player that Rattler is.  Oh well.

I was there for UCLA.  I was in the student section and I still remember the cheerleaders yelling with the megaphone to me and my friend who were the only ones in the section - "Guys! Move down!"

We went on the field after the game and we were pretty much the only ones there.  I still felt worse yesterday...

Another game that is seldom mentioned is the Houston 60-40 loss in 1987.  We were leading the conference and they hadn't won a game.

2nd quarter
04:34        UH        Jackson 31 int. return (Browndyke kick)       20 - 17

4th quarter

09:28        UH        Thornton 17 int. return (Thornton pass)       43 - 34

03:40        UH        Jackson 53 int. return (Browndyke kick)       53 - 34

01:51        UH        Jackson 97 int. return (Browndyke kick)       60 - 34

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

UCLA's defense was in our backfield all fucking day.  They hit the snap better than any guy on our line.  It was absolutely brutal.

I left about halfway through the 3rd quarter.  My (soon-to-be-ex) wife looked at me, said "give me the keys, and no, I'm not coming to pick you up if you stay".  Honestly, I would have walked home, I had done it multiple times from campus (to Travis Heights) but I was so damned pissed and totally fried from the heat I just buckled.  Watched the last 10 minutes at home and then questioned why I even did that.

THAT was rock bottom.  Yesterday?  Piker shit.  Lack of developed talent and depth, sky high for 20 minutes, and then we found out their backup QB is twice the player that Rattler is.  Oh well.

Here are the highlights in case anybody wants to question your assertion.  This hurt at the time, but now it’s fucking comical.  We were 2-0, defending big 12 champs and everyone on campus was talking about making a run at the national championship.  UCLA was 0-2 and the only question before the game was how bad we would beat their ass.  Heck, even Ricky looks like shit in this video.  That was rock bottom.

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think they have been less than good this year, as they weren't last year.  But, by benching Rattler, I am pretty sure they have found the key to a lot of improvement.  Some other team is probably going to rattle Williams pretty good, though, assuming he starts.

Agree. I hate you. 

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

There is an argument it was the worst because of all the taunting and because it crushed the original “Texas is back!” team and showed us we still didn’t belong with the elite.   But the 2012 OU game - the last of the 4 beatdowns Stoops gave Mack - was the worst asskicking I’ve seen Texas take.  We didn’t even have turnovers.  They just hung 60+ by dominating us on every play.    This was the Mykkele Thompson and Adrian Phillips lying down for Trey Millard gif game.

texas-ou-longhorns.gif