The cotton bowl is a shit hole

Mitch Cumsteen

5 hours ago, TxEx84 said:

Funny.  While sitting there during the game for the 47th time, I was thinking of what a perfect stadium it is.  Love the Cotton Bowl.  In fact, I miss when they had those metal chairback seats and your knees would bang against the row in front of you.  The Texas/ou game should not be comfortable.  The crowds, pissing troughs, small seats, inconvenient location are all apart of the charm.  Embrace it.

Reposting this for the ginas to read and ponder over. This man knows what’s what. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Been going since 1981.  Went yesterday with my wife.  My twins who I've been taking since they were 10 are seniors and sat 3 sections over from us in the student section.  With them graduating in May I'm wondering if it's time for this tradition to end for me.  For the last 25 years I've said I'm tired of dealing with 6 hour drives in traffic jams to get to Dallas, the nightmare of getting to the stadium by car or the shitshow DART manages every year.  Sick of leaving dehydrated and sunburned.  Fed up with losing to those inbreds half the time.  I'm too old to put up with pissing in a trough, backbreaking seats, and the craziness of getting in and out of the stadium.   It's a no-brainer, I can watch it on my 65 inch TV at home, in AC, with no bathroom lines, and not spend the shit-ton of money like I do every year.  Yeah, it's a no-brainer, but I guess I don't have a fucking brain cuz I'll probably go again next year and every following year till I'm pushing up daisies.  

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 4

I know that the service industry is in the fucking dumps but that shit was ridiculous yesterday. I'm pretty sure the concessions in the super dome during Katrina were better. The lines for water/soda/Gatorade had to be, what, 300 deep? It was hotter than hell and they were completely unprepared. I'm surprised nobody had a heat stroke. I wasn't even planning on drinking beer during the game, but that was the only liquid that you could buy without waiting forever. I pounded 5 tall boys at the smooth price of $11 apiece just to have something to drink. 
It also took almost an hour to get into the stadium. Electronic tickets suck. Just a complete shit show all the way around. It's never, ever been close to good there but yesterday was next level bullshit. I never would want the game to move but they should be able to do so much better. 

Sorry to hear. What gate? D gate took us 10 minutes to get in (end zone, section 16) at 10:15. Getting water took about 10 minutes each time. I bought 4 bottles at a time at the raping rate of 5 a bottle. At half time the kiddo wanted some food so we went out of the stadium, got some rolls, and back in on D gate in 10 minutes. Missed the first 90 seconds of the 3rd.

D was organized.

I took my 11 year old to his first OU game yesterday.  This was my 30th. 

Concession lines were nuts, but I had my fill of 3 ticket beer earlier.  Would've loved a working water fountain to refill my 2 ticket water bottle.

It was hot.

Going to the dungeon restroom was probably our best chance at catching covid in the last 19 months. 

... but of course I'll be back next year, because it's fucking perfect.

(unless I die of the covid I caught in the humid ass restroom)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

D gate was completely closed when I got there.  You must have been there later than I was.

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Let me explain this to you.  My post was a criticism of all the shitty things about the game and how I'd be crazy to ever go back there again, yet I'll keep going till the day I die.  So, your reply doesn't really work because I do plan on going back.  Is there anything else I can clarify for you?  I'll be more than happy to.

Edited by Zone Read

4 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Let me explain this to you.  My post was a criticism of all the shitty things about the game and how I'd be crazy to ever go back there again, yet I'll keep going till the day I die.  So, your reply doesn't really work because I do plan on going back.  Is there anything else I can clarify for you?  I'll be more than happy to.

My buddy typed out a list of all the reasons not to go back while I was driving us home, just so he won’t get sucked in again. 

Other than the game outcome, we actually had a good experience. Drove up Friday night, with almost no traffic. Paid to park in a field about 100 yards from a fairground entrance. Ate and drank before the game, started into the stadium at about 10:20 with huge lines, but it only took about 10 minutes to get in. Got 2 bottles of water on the way to my seat, and didn’t have to wait in line the one time I went to the bathroom. When we left, there was no line to get out of our lot, and traffic on 35 wasn’t bad at all.

But the game was a kick in the nuts.   

Why did you change my quote? You can clarify that.

Look the cotton bowl was obviously not designed to hold 92k people and so it’s gonna be overly crowded and concessions are gonna be fucked up. I get that.

But to move it to home and home would be to give up something so great that can never be brought back. You don’t realize something lost until it’s gone and to move this game over things so trivial would be a huge mistake.

College football has lost enough with rivalries broken up to allow this one to change would simply be tragic. It can never happen. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Look the cotton bowl was obviously not designed to hold 92k people and so it’s gonna be overly crowded and concessions are gonna be fucked up. I get that.

But to move it to home and home would be to give up something so great that can never be brought back. You don’t realize something lost until it’s gone and to move this game over things so trivial would be a huge mistake.

College football has lost enough with rivalries broken up to allow this one to change would simply be tragic. It can never happen. 

Agreed, but if it can't be played in the Cotton Bowl, for whatever reason, the game should be a home and home.

MFing this. The minor inconveniences are so worth it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The title of the thread is “the cotton bowl is a shithole.” I guess you’re saying that means the OP wants to keep the game in the shithole. That’s a jujitsu move I suppose. 
It's a statement of fact, not a plea to move the game. Cotton Bowl has been a shithole compared to most other stadiums my entire life, that doesn't mean I want the game anywhere else...and everyone here concurs.

Agreed, home and home is only last resort if forced to choose between that or jerryworld. Hope it never comes to that.

47 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The title of the thread is “the cotton bowl is a shithole.” I guess you’re saying that means the OP wants to keep the game in the shithole. That’s a jujitsu move I suppose. 

Kung fu is on you my man. Yes, of course I want to keep the game in the shit hole. I just don't want to have a heat stroke or get trampled to death there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What’s with the “Jerryworld because of the money” arguments? DKR holds about the same capacity as Jerryworld right? Would an OU home game not sell out? If OU has less home capacity that’s on them to figure out, but I don’t see how paying Jerry a huge rake is better financially for Texas than a OU home game. 
***this is not advocating for home and home, only that this rivalry should not be played at Jerryworld. ***

6 minutes ago, ousux said:
28 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Agreed, home and home is only last resort if forced to choose between that or jerryworld. Hope it never comes to that.

It will never move to jerryworld. I pray it never moves to home and home. So much lost. 

The Texas Ou game in the second Saturday in October in the middle of the Texas state fair with the crowd split 50-50 is the greatest atmosphere in all of sports and some of you gaping vaginas want to move it because it takes too long to get your coke.
Well allow me to retort.
Go fuck yourselves. Go to the nearest HEB and buy your fucking Coca Cola and your Zima and your Michelobe ultra and sit on your ugly ass fucking couch and watch the greatest game in sports in comfort from your shitty couch in the woodlands. 

Now this is the kinda passion and intensity I want to see.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Since I started this bitch fest, let me clarify that I'm okay with standing in a quarter inch of piss in the bathroom. I don't need or want 50 fucking gourmet food options. I don't mind for one second the metal bleachers (although I did really dig the old blue and white fold up seats). I love that shit hole fucking stadium despite the fact that I have endured some of the worst fucking football beatings in my life there - I'm still waiting for that asshole from Miami to come out of the tunnel and seeing that fat fuck Roy Williams (the evil one) on the OU sideline Saturday gave me PTSD. 

I would, however, like to experience the privilege of buying an $8 bottle of water without missing 60% of the football game when it's 95 fucking degrees outside. An RC cola to mix my bourbon would even be better but I don't want to come off as a snob. Those idiots probably lost a million dollars in beverage sales yesterday. And if, by chance, I could avoid being herded like cattle into the stadium ass to dick with a bunch of mouth breathing sooners for 45 minutes in a scene that had to violate every fire code ever, then that would be cool too.

The fact that there are no vendors in the stands for water when it’s 91 degrees is ridiculous. The fact that zero concession stands have TVs so you can see whatever quarter you are having to miss while waiting in line is downright ludicrous. 

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 3

I got there easy, did fair stuff for two hours, got in the game easy, got drinks easy, and got out easy. The only shit part was trying to get drinks in the second half.

Someone up thread was bitching about troubles after “heading to the stadium at 10:15”. Yeah you can’t do that.

At some point authorities will determine that the Cotton Bowl should be condemned and the City of Dallas will refuse to pay for the repairs. And at that point, a long time in the future, Jerry Jones XII will celebrate that news with dollar signs in his eyes. But that will be the day that the UT and OU athletic directors will join in one stream pissing on the grave of Jerry Jones announcing that the game will be played in the State Fair parking lot.

At least I can dream that this will be the case.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

The fact that there are no vendors in the stands for water when it’s 91 degrees is ridiculous. The fact that zero concession stands have TVs so you can see whatever quarter you are having to miss waiting in line is downright ludicrous. 

Although I love the game at the CB and would never want to change, for some reason my tickets the last few years have been on the press box side lower level goal line about 60 rows up.  The shade from the upper deck was nice yesterday, but I’ll be damned if you can’t see shit from under there between the cement columns and low overhang.  Can’t see either scoreboard or hear a damn thing, and I’ll be damned if the one monitor we could see over to our right had an outage right in the bottom of the screen, so never had a clue about down and distance unless it was obvious and no clue on the game clock.  Gonna have to let the LHF those seats are no go next year.  Been under there last 3 years and gotta say not a fan.  

Although I love the game at the CB and would never want to change, for some reason my tickets the last few years have been on the press box side lower level goal line about 60 rows up.  The shade from the upper deck was nice yesterday, but I’ll be damned if you can’t see shit from under there between the cement columns and low overhang.  Can’t see either scoreboard or hear a damn thing, and I’ll be damned if the one monitor we could see over to our right had an outage right in the bottom of the screen, so never had a clue about down and distance unless it was obvious and no clue on the game clock.  Gonna have to let the LHF those seats are no go next year.  Been under there last 3 years and gotta say not a fan.  

Sorry for any poor behavior I exhibited near you (I’m not sure whether I was press box side or not). You were up a little higher than mine. I would assume both sides have similar crappiness so even if on opposite sides we had similar viewpoints. I could see one scoreboard but not the other. I saw TVs mounted underneath the overhang, but they were a section over and completely out of sight. I was unable to see all of the end zone. I’d venture to say about row 50 is as high as you’d want to go. I did not get hot though. If I did, I didn’t even notice.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Oh no. No Wi-Fi signal! You mean I’ll actually have to just watch a football game while not being on my phone? The horror!

The WiFi is for whenever I worked the game in the past with a media pass. None in the press box so they give you ethernet cables. Also, some folks have phones that send texts as imessages so that's a problem. 

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Actually you take your kids so they will stand in line and get your shit for you.   Some of them boogers are smart enough to know Dad is going to too much into the game to ask for his change.    I’ve probably lost hundreds of dollars in change with three kids when they were younger.   Now i have to do it myself.  lol. 

This! Guy sitting in front of me sent his kid to the concessions after the first quarter. Kid didn't return until almost halftime! 

Some of y’all suck ass at planning. You waited in stadium concession lines through halftime when you could’ve exited and drank/ate outside and taken a water back in for 2H (they actually were sticklers about fair beers coming in tho)? I walked in gate c with zero line around 1015 too.

Stadium bathrooms are what they are, they’re gross everywhere. Ingress/egress is a cluster. 

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more places to get water quickly for a game in 90+ weather that doesn’t cause you to miss huge chunks of the game. 

after waiting over 30 min in line and literally not even moving, I walked to the front of the line and told every employee to hurry the F up. Not proud of it but needed to be done. Eventually was able to leave the game with 11min left in the first half and go get 4 waters at the fair. Walked back in the game and nobody asked for a ticket or anything.

To be fair, I've had the exact same problems at DKR this year. 30+ min to get a beer or water.

Edited by Doak
  • Hook 'Em 1

It doesn’t have to move and never should. If people are too big of a pussy to go to the cotton bowl they should stay home pissing in their depends and let the people who want to go there have their tickets. I bet they’ll even pay money for them. 

So much this. If you don’t want to go in, that’s fine. Just go to the fair and watch on one of the many TVs. That’s what makes it the best game in college football. 300k+ people in and around the stadium. Unless you move the state fair, you can’t recreate that at Jerryworld or with a home/home.
  • Hook 'Em 2

In reading JimmyJames post about sitting at home pissing in your depends.

I’d say if it came to having to pissing in my depends inside the Cotton Bowl, I might just be down with it as opposed to missing part of the game.

We got there early. Inside about an hour before. Got drinks and a couple extra waters. They couldn’t scan our tickets, but no line and no rush. Parking was easy in, easy out, but we have a plan.

In 25 years of going to this game I don't think I have ever wanted to get food at the Cotton Bowl. And if so I just went to the food court at halftime. 

Why are yall not gorging at the fair before the game,  with the billions of options all around the stadium? Or are you incapable of going two hours without stuffing food in your face?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

In 25 years of going to this game I don't think I have ever wanted to get food at the Cotton Bowl. And if so I just went to the food court at halftime. 

Why are yall not gorging at the fair before the game,  with the billions of options all around the stadium? Or are you incapable of going two hours without stuffing food in your face?

Isn't most of the bitching about access to water and having to go through concessions? 

1 minute ago, TxTower said:

This. I don’t understand it. But to each his own I guess. It’s their money and their kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a weird opinion to have. My parents raised me on Texas football and took me to the TX-OU game in the Cotton Bowl many times.

Now I am raising my kids on Texas football and I'm taking them to the TX-OU game in the Cotton Bowl almost every year.

They love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:
As for anyone who thinks the SEC will ever impact the location of Texas / OU, or any other dynamic of that game, then you are stupid beyond belief.

As is, Texas / OU is one of the 5 greatest sporting events in this country. Any sport.  Anywhere.  Any event.

Don't be stupid.

OU and Texas are currently in the process of leaving the conference that they have co-run for a few decades so they can both throw a few more million bucks on the pile by joining the SEC. If you think that they won't entertain moving it to Arlington when Jerrah backs up the Brinks truck for them, I've got news for you...

Concession lines were long, and water is wet. Blah. I has no issues entering the gates at 10:20. Did not even wait in line at Gate B. Friday night at the fair and Saturday around 5 while leaving, I was mumbling about how it was as packed as I had ever seen it. Food and beer to me this year were way more costly than usual, but that is kind of the story right now no matter what. Cotton Bowl is fine, pros and cons alike. Its where this game needs to be played. 

16 hours ago, Constant said:

Y’all are taking your anger and directing to all the wrong places. The place is a college football mecca. However, I wouldn’t mind moving it back in the schedule a week to the last Saturday of the fair to perhaps minimize 90 degree days. 

Gonna be 72 degrees this Saturday.

Tell me you don't understand how weather works without saying you don't know how weather works. 

25 minutes ago, Burt said:

Tell me you don't understand how weather works without saying you don't know how weather works. 

Well, I’m not trying to drop some advanced meteorological analysis. I’m just saying, in general, I feel like an extra week could help. Late October is generally cooler than early October.

The game was played on the first Saturday of October in 2010. Why not the third Saturday?

2 hours ago, TxTower said:

This. I don’t understand it. But to each his own I guess. It’s their money and their kids.

Dude sitting down from us was a Texas fan with about a 9 year old son wearing a Sooner shirt and dropping the horns down everywhere. His old man is a fucking dumbass who should be kicked in the balls. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1