NHL 2021-22

Harry Waters

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

When I was a little boy Guy Lafleur was my favorite player. By far! 

The very first NHL game I attended was Montreal at Washington in 1974.  To this day, my best memory of that game is Guy Lafleur gliding up and down the ice.  He was skating thru traffic cones.  I was hooked on hockey from that night on …

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The very first NHL game I attended was Montreal at Washington in 1974.  To this day, my best memory of that game is Guy Lafleur gliding up and down the ice.  He was skating thru traffic cones.  I was hooked on hockey from that night on …

November 25, 1981, the Pittsburgh Penguins hosted Montreal. The ads for getting fans to the arena stated "come talk turkey to the Canadiens" since it was the night before Thanksgiving. My brother took me and my buddy John. We always sat in the first row of the upper deck at the Civic Arena because they were the best seats in the house.

The Penguins had Michel Dion in goal while Motreal had Dennis Herron, a future Penguin himself. Dion was incredible that night in one of teh best performances I have ever witnessed, 39 saves on 40 shots, and the Pens won, 2-1. Bob Gainey, assisted by Guy Lapointe and Doug Jarvis, scored Montreal's goal and Pat Graham scored two for the Pens.

This was not a terrible Montreal team with Lafleur, Gainey, Rod Langway, Lapointe, Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Pierre Mondou and Mario Tremblay on the roster. They were past their prime for sure but, still had a lot of talent.

The Pens were not that loaded and this was three years before Lemieux came to town. The Pens were led by Mike Bullard, Randy Carlyle, Rick Kehoe, Greg Malone, Paul Gardner, and Olympian Mark Johnson. It was not a terrible team and unfortunately drew the Islanders in the first round of the playoffs. NYI won the first two games, then the Pens won two and then our hearts were broken in a Game 5 OT thriller that saw John Tonelli score in OT.

The Pens finished 4th in the Patrick that season behind NYI, NYR and the Flyers. Quebec upset Montreal in the Adams Division first round and then beat Boston before losing, 4-0, to the NYI in the conference finals.

I mention all of that to get to this.

Lafleur was 30-years old that season. He scored 27 G & 57 Assists in 66 games. I will always remember late in that game, as it got later and later into the game, looking through the smoke, yes, you could still smoke in the arenas. The light as it shone on Lafleur as he was bent over a bit waiting for a face-off, with his stick on his thighs, it just looked like one of those old-time hockey photos of Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, or anyone else you wanted to say from way back. 

I remember wishing to God I had an awesome camera because it would have been a fantastic photo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Growing up in SA in the 70s, I didn't know shit about hockey or French, but I'm pretty sure I learned a bit of both watching "The Flower" play on TV. RIP.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

theoretically they could jump Boston for the 1st Wild Card or even Pittsburgh for 3rd in the Metro, but neither seems likely. Isn't it in their best interest to have a healthy Ovi for the playoffs? Bringing him in tonight seems like a mistake. He'll have to wait until next season to add to those goal totals.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

theoretically they could jump Boston for the 1st Wild Card or even Pittsburgh for 3rd in the Metro, but neither seems likely. Isn't it in their best interest to have a healthy Ovi for the playoffs? Bringing him in tonight seems like a mistake. He'll have to wait until next season to add to those goal totals.

According to RMDB, Ovi did not participate in this morning’s skate.  He is a “game time decision.”

That said, the only thing that really matters is that he not worsen an injury that impacts the remainder of his career.  I think it’ll be Ovi’s decision .. not the doctor, trainer, coach, or owner.  He is tough as nails.  But, he knows he’s the franchise.

From my perspective, BTW, I don’t expect the Caps to get out of the first round (although they’ve been unusually successful against Carolina).  Neither goaltender has grabbed ample opportunity to be a #1 .. maddeningly inconsistent.  The overall defense has been meh.  The PP is completely toothless when Ovi’s not in his office.  The PK, however, has been good.  Other than a handful of games, they just haven’t meshed all season.

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

According to RMDB, Ovi did not participate in this morning’s skate.  He is a “game time decision.”

That said, the only thing that really matters is that he not worsen an injury that impacts the remainder of his career.  I think it’ll be Ovi’s decision .. not the doctor, trainer, coach, or owner.  He is tough as nails.  But, he knows he’s the franchise.

From my perspective, BTW, I don’t expect the Caps to get out of the first round (although they’ve been unusually successful against Carolina).  Neither goaltender has grabbed ample opportunity to be a #1 .. maddeningly inconsistent.  The overall defense has been meh.  The PP is completely toothless when Ovi’s not in his office.  The PK, however, has been good.  Other than a handful of games, they just haven’t meshed all season.

Agreed with all of that. I'm not sure the Caps will be worth watching over the next few seasons other than seeing if Ovi can overcome Gretzky. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Agreed with all of that. I'm not sure the Caps will be worth watching over the next few seasons other than seeing if Ovi can overcome Gretzky. 

Ohhh … and I’m used to pulling for sports teams that don’t quite get it done.  If you’re correct, the Caps will fit right in with the Redskins, Orioles, Bullets, and … dare I say … the Horns? 🤔

• 1 month later...

MONTREAL — The Minnesota Wild and the NHL were trying to get a handle on a developing situation Wednesday after multiple media reports surfaced out of Russia that Wild star Kirill Kaprizov is wanted in his native country for allegedly buying a falsified military ID card in 2017, when he was playing for Salavat Yulaev Ufa. Wild general manager Bill Guerin told The Athletic that Kaprizov is still in Russia, contrary to reports that he had fled for the United States.

“We’re trying to find out as much as we can, but we’re not worried too much about it,” Guerin said. “I’ve talked to (Kaprizov’s agent) Paul (Theofanous). We’re not going to push the panic button or anything like that. We’re just trying to gather information right now and find out if this is even credible.”

This situation comes days after Philadelphia Flyers goaltending prospect Ivan Fedotov was arrested and taken to a military naval camp for allegedly evading mandatory military service. Fedotov has been accused of purchasing a fake military ID from a high-ranking military officer, who allegedly helped other Ufa athletes obtain the military cards as well.

Kaprizov was on that team with Fedotov. The SHOT Telegram reported that Kaprizov and Pavel Karnaukhov are suspected of buying military IDs in 2017.

Kaprizov’s father, Oleg, denied that his son bought a military ID to Sport-Express and said Kaprizov is a student of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA). It is common for Russian professional athletes to study from afar as a means of delaying their military obligations.

However, Kaprizov’s exemption expired June 30, according to one source familiar with the situation. If that’s true, regardless of the accusation that he bought a military ID five years ago, Kaprizov could be required to fulfill his military obligations. In Russia, men must serve in the military for one year between the ages of 18 and 27.

Theofanous did not respond to multiple interview requests.

Kaprizov, 25, played the past two seasons with the Wild. He won the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year in 2020-21 and last season set a franchise record with 47 goals and 108 points. Before that, he represented CSKA Moscow — still considered the Red Army team — for three years. Typically, CSKA Moscow players have been exempt from military service in the past. That might be an informal rule, though.

“You’re in the Army, but your job is to play hockey,” one Russian source said. “Somebody’s job is to drive a tank and your job is to hold a stick.”

Kaprizov is a decorated Russian player who twice led the KHL in goal scoring, won a league championship, captained their 2017 World Junior Championship team and scored the golden goal in the 2018 Winter Olympics. When he was pressured to re-sign with CSKA Moscow and not sign with the Wild four years ago, he did just that. He’s been photographed many times shaking the hand of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Vladimir Putin and Kirill Kaprizov (Grigory Dukor / AFP via Getty Images)
“He did everything they asked,” said a source close with many Russian players. “That’s why he stayed so long without coming to the States, because they asked him to do it — official people asked him to do it.”

Asked how concerned he is that Kaprizov could be forced to remain in Russia, a source knowledgeable of the goings-on in Russia said he’s not — “unless it’s coming straight from the top, and you know who I mean.”

“If it’s coming from the person (Putin), and he says Kirill’s not going anywhere, then he’s not going anywhere,” the source said. “Unless it’s coming from that one person, everybody else is going to be OK. Only one person can make him stay, not nobody else.

“But is it possible? Like a small percentage, of course, because he’s one of the biggest names to make an example. What are you going to make an example of: Fedotov, who is going to be in the AHL, or a star in the league? If you want to make the news, you grab the best one you can. I think he’s in a good standing with extremely high-up people, but if push comes to shove and they want to make an example of him, they will obviously. They’ll forget about everything else — all the good things he’s done for the country.”

It’s an alarming thought that was reflected in a story published by The Athletic last week, in which a number of NHL executives voiced their concern that Russian players could have trouble returning to North America in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and escalated global tension.

In that story, an agent said he warned all his clients not to return home this offseason, and Guerin said that he pleaded with Kaprizov six weeks ago not to return to Russia this offseason.

One Russian person who works closely with players throughout the NHL echoed that sentiment Wednesday to The Athletic. He said he warned everybody he has ties with not to return to Russia this offseason.

“I strongly recommended nobody go back, and just about nobody listened,” the source said. “They were all laughing because until something will happen, people take it lightly. Now, something has happened and people are no longer taking it lightly. I’m sure these guys are no longer laughing.”

The NHL held its annual GMs meeting Wednesday, and managers said the topic of Russia possibly preventing players from returning didn’t come up.

“There’s no guidance,” said Philadelphia Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher. “Teams are free to make their own decisions.

“It’s a very sensitive situation and we’re doing our best to stay abreast of any developments. In view of the current situation (with Fedotov), I’ll probably limit my public comments.”

Brian MacLellan, the Washington Capitals GM, said he’s spoken with Alex Ovechkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dmitry Orlov.

“Every time I talk to them, they’re comfortable and confident they can get back,” MacLellan said. “Obviously there’s uncertainty there, but they’re comfortable.”

As for Kaprizov, multiple sources said Wednesday that if he does return to the U.S., he should not go back until after his playing days. But that could put his parents and brother, who live in Russia, at risk, as well.

“It’s clear Russia is trying to pressure NHL players right now not to leave Russia,” a league source said. “This is not going to be exclusive to Kirill Kaprizov. I don’t know how any Russian players can feel confident returning to Russia every offseason now. Or, the NHL draft is coming (Thursday and Friday). How do you draft a Russian player now? I don’t know. It’s very complicated.”

Dayum.

Star forward Claude Giroux signed a three-year free agent deal with the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday.

Giroux, 34, will make $6.5 million annually against the salary cap. The Senators have been linked to Giroux for months, as he lived in the city as a teenager and played minor hockey in the area.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34237040/star-forward-claude-giroux-34-signs-three-year-deal-ottawa-senators

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think everyone is very leery about any Russians on their team right now, and rightly so

I don't expect there's a list of who is still over there. I heard Guerin asked Kaprisov repeatedly to stay out of Russia. Knowing how closely the NHL guards info I figure we will know their status when we see them in camps or not.

The Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday agreed to terms with star forward Johnny Gaudreau on a seven-year contract, the team announced, landing NHL free agency's biggest name in a stunning move.

Gaudreau's deal with the Blue Jackets is for $68.25 million, carrying an average annual value of $9.75 million against the NHL salary cap.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34239560/forward-johnny-gaudreau-joins-columbus-blue-jackets-seven-year-deal-sources-say