What, if anything is different because of the loss to OU Saturday?

immamac

2 hours ago, immamac said:

It's been a few days and it seems that everyone has mostly calmed down. I find myself asking this question - what are the real impacts of the loss Saturday?

If Texas still takes care of business it controls it's own destiny to the CCG, this has not changed.

If Texas still takes care of business it ends the season with a top 10 ranking, this has not changed.

If Texas beats Oklahoma in the CCG while still in control of it's own destiny they will be knocking off a top 4 team in a CCG, it will be a 2 loss Big XII team with a top 10 ranking, and possibly a top 5 ranking.

Is the only difference that, assuming Texas does what it is capable of through the end of the season that Cincinatti gets in and Texas gets left out, still playing in a NY6 game, but not in the Playoffs?

There is no such thing as a good loss, but the negative impacts of this loss don't seem to be all that drastic at this point. Recruiting doesn't seem like it will take a hit as some of the deficiencies could be a draw for some defensive talent to make a difference immediately. The offense sees young players who are dynamic getting early playing time and getting the ball often, which is a draw. The OL play is another obvious opportunity for a young top ranked player to come in and make a difference. 

What do you think the impacts of the Loss Saturday against OU were?

*its x2

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what changed:

- the game we thought would have the least fuckery (because we are both leaving) turned out to have the most fuckery so those left behind can cash in one last time on 0u inflation

- instead of just a few people here and there, sark now knows he has to portal in as much academically eligible beef as possible from wherever it can be found

what didn't change:

- way too many people cashing in wins that haven't occurred yet, including in this very thread

- people falling for the banana in the tailpipe

- people believing in and espousing the idea that freshman beef can "come in and make an impact" - when was the last time that happened here?

Connor Williams & Patrick Vahe?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What has changed is exactly what you repeated in your post. We’re now relying on a bunch of IFs.

IF we run the table, IF we take care of business (when the fuck have we ever taken care of business?), IF we make the conference championship game…

We were up 28-7 and looking at a bunch of WHENs. WHEN  recruiting blows up, WHEN we make the Big XII championship game, WHEN we’re finally done getting our asses kicked by Oklahoma.

The season went from WHEN to IF just like that.

Because IF we lose this weekend, a very real possibility, all this “it’s not so bad, what has changed?” shit will quickly devolve into the same fuckery we’ve experienced for the past decade.

Congrats to those of you who are over it. I’m not there yet. It’s always IF with this fucking program. I’m ready to get back to the WHEN.

All of this shit right here.

The biggest change for me was my optimism. I thought we might have a great coach and I could have expectations of a Big 12 trophy. Now my expectation is that OU will win the 7th in a row.

I'm frankly sick and fucking tired of losing to OU, and blowing the biggest lead in the history of the rivalry isn't something I will just get over 3 days after it happens. I'm so happy for all of you guys that are still optimistic.

If we end the season 9-3, I will be optimistic for next year. 10-2 and I will be elated. But we just raised the difficulty level to Insane on that outcome. The embarrassing blowout to Arkansas followed by the biggest choke in  OU game history has killed my optimism for this season. Seems like my optimism is dead by this time every year, so I guess nothing has changed.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is quickly devolving into personal venting, but I went from being the most optimistic about the program to very quickly regressing to the mean. It feels as if the outcome was predetermined and we just got teased in the first half. I'll be happy if we can run the table, but my certainty is much lower. It feels like we can lose to almost anyone again. 

But the fan in me believes this is as bad as it gets this year. 

I think it was a reality check.

We've played 2 big games and both were devastating losses to rivals on a national stage (Arky is perceived by many to be our rival). The first one we were just manhandled. The second one the W was ripped out of our hands.

For this year it means we settle for an early bowl game. Even if we get to the CCG, I don't see us beating OU. Saturday was our best chance for that. That's an incredibly bitter pill and I'm not getting over it.

For recruiting, I don't think we'll out-recruit the SEC majors or OU in the near future, and aTm beating Bama turned a lot of heads their direction. Our program doesn't have much excitement to offer in comparison.

In the broader scheme, Texas is out of the national conversation, except for a few half-hearted jokes about "being back yet". 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

In the broader scheme, Texas is out of the national conversation, except for a few half-hearted jokes about "being back yet". 

I somehow forgot about this part. This definitely didn't change.

Edited by jinx

It's another year of OU owning us and likely winning the conference? It's like there is voodoo where teams can't finish against OU and no matter what they hold us the trophy at the end of the year. It's sickening.

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what changed:

- the game we thought would have the least fuckery (because we are both leaving) turned out to have the most fuckery so those left behind can cash in one last time on 0u inflation

- instead of just a few people here and there, sark now knows he has to portal in as much academically eligible beef as possible from wherever it can be found

what didn't change:

- way too many people cashing in wins that haven't occurred yet, including in this very thread

- people falling for the banana in the tailpipe

- people believing in and espousing the idea that freshman beef can "come in and make an impact" - when was the last time that happened here?

Connor Williams in '15? Rusty- Zach Shackelford in '16? Cosmi as a RS Fr in '18? Keondre Coburn as a RS Fr in '19?

It’s disappointing how utterly dominated we’ve been by ou for what feels like the last 21 years. This must be what aggy felt like in their rivalry with us. Hard to care much about a team that isn’t seriously in contention year after year.

Oh and a true fucking freshman QB dominated our defense

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

All of this shit right here.

The biggest change for me was my optimism. I thought we might have a great coach and I could have expectations of a Big 12 trophy. Now my expectation is that OU will win the 7th in a row.

I'm frankly sick and fucking tired of losing to OU, and blowing the biggest lead in the history of the rivalry isn't something I will just get over 3 days after it happens. I'm so happy for all of you guys that are still optimistic.

If we end the season 9-3, I will be optimistic for next year. 10-2 and I will be elated. But we just raised the difficulty level to Insane on that outcome. The embarrassing blowout to Arkansas followed by the biggest choke in  OU game history has killed my optimism for this season. Seems like my optimism is dead by this time every year, so I guess nothing has changed.

George Costanza Good Job GIF 

I’m in the same boat with this guy

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure about after the loss, but this year seems different.

In the locker room: The culture does seem to be changing. Players could have bolted in mass exodus when Sark was announced or after spring ball. Even Casey could have been gone at any time. Instead players seem to be buying in to the program being built. They aren't regurgitating Turtle Tomisms after watching the team lose close games they should have won easily.

On the field: The difference is noticeable in overall special teams improvement, fewer shoot your own foot moments, and much better utilization of personnel.

On Surly: Not much. Overreactions abound. You know what that white stuff on top of chicken shit is called? More chicken shit. That's what this coaching staff is dealing with, and yet we average 44 points a game. Still people are clamoring about not calling X play in situation Y and fire this guy after 6 games. Holy cheese. We don't have an NFL lineman on our team. There might not be an NFL caliber player on the entire defense.

I'm still in the show me camp, but I won't be surprised if Sark and Co. don't have a bulletin board with every available D1 transfer lineman, juco, or Rahway work release candidate for next year already lined up. Recruits are still pumped to come here. Anyone who thought we were going to be a final four team in year one was dreaming a pretty big dream.

• Hook 'Em 7

In spite of o-line deficiences at times, our offense has proven they can play with any team in the country, may even give Georgias D a challenge if we're firing on all cylinders. Sustaining drives and chewing clock with a lead is still an issue, Bijans heroics against TCU were what sealed the win for us there.

Defense at this point has no business being in any sort of Championship game, but even then it's simply a matter of consistency. (Has any other team benched Rattler once, not to mention twice?) They played pretty well in the first half of the OU game, and truly didnt completely break down until the 4th quarter. Even so we'll struggle against any competent offense we face.

Basically what I've learned so far is this team could truly be special with one or two badass O-linemen added to the current group, another speedster so Worthy doesnt draw doubles, at least one more LB that can match Overshowns athleticism, a true pass rushing DE, and at least one safety that can both cover deep and make good open field tackles. None of that will happen this season, but I still think we have a have a chance to run the table on the rest of our schedule.

• Hook 'Em 5

We are likely an 8-4 or 9-3 team this year.   Nothing more.   Why the hell anybody is talking about running the table after what we saw in the trenches is pure folly.   

That said I am quite optimistic about this team and staff going forward.   The ass whipping we applied in the 1st half of the ou game makes me confident  that Sark will attract elite skill players going forward and I expect we will simply out score most teams down the road (including ou).   About 2-3 years of growth on the OL (maybe less if these fucksticks start to gel later this year) will get us to conf championship games.    Just leave PK the fuck alone to implement his system and get a few dogs on the ends and lb.   Once he does we can talk about playoffs.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been watching Texas football since 2000. I attended the 2004 and 2005 Rose Bowl, numerous RRS (wins/losses/one Mack Special), and a few home conference games. I've watched many of our comebacks to include the OSU series in the 2000s. The way last Saturday's game ended reminded me of what I felt during the 2013 BYU game. In every loss before that one, I always thought we had a chance of coming back. But that night I knew we were beyond hopeless. Last Saturday, we had an 18 point lead until late in the third quarter. Once they scored the touchdown to go within one possession, I knew there was zero hope of us stopping their comeback. I place the vast majority of the blame on the defense, but it was evident neither unit could do anything effect the inevitable outcome. Once again, I'm not blaming the offense, but had they been able to sustain any scoring drive we could have had a different outcome. As for the defense, the bloodbath that started with Brooks' long run (overturned fumble) was absolutely demoralizing. Even if Worthy doesn't fumble on the KO, OU still has plenty of time to march down the field to tie, and then beat us in overtime again. I was surprised and happy to see us respond with a game tying drive, but when I saw 1:23 left on the clock, I knew there was no way we could stop them from getting into field goal range. As it turns out, they didn't even need to kick the field goal because they sliced through our defense like a knife through hot butter. Giving up a comeback is one thing, but playing like that on defense is sickening. 323 passing and 339 rushing is an embarrassment. Letting a backup QB dribble snaps and throw arm punts over us is an embarrassment. We looked helpless and that adds to the pain factor.

All that emotional bullshit aside, I'm still on board with Sark and I still like what he's doing on offense and ST. As for Pete K, I'm not ready to fire up a banner plane for him yet, but I probably will nitpick the living shit out of our defense for the rest of the year. The Arkansas game made it abundantly clear that we're a bit undermanned in the defensive front seven. However I never would've though our talent is 106/130. I hope PK is not too stubborn to realize that something needs to change or else his unit will cost us 2-3 games on the remaining schedule. Our recruiting does show promise.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

That said I am quite optimistic about this team and staff going forward.   The ass whipping we applied in the 1st half of the ou game makes me confident  that Sark will attract elite skill players going forward and I expect we will simply out score most teams down the road (including ou).   About 2-3 years of growth on the OL (maybe less if these fucksticks start to gel later this year) will get us to conf championship games.    Just leave PK the fuck alone to implement his system and get a few dogs on the ends and lb.   Once he does we can talk about playoffs.  

I'll have what she's having.jpg

2 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

I'll have what she's having.jpg

I said it on another thread but I will summarize here.  We are 99 ou.   Ridiculous explosiveness, elite staff, but not there with the horses up front.   I’m pretty sure we kick the ever loving shit out of ou next year after they lose basically 80%+ of all their dudes in the trenches.   Not sure it translates into a conf champ but that’s a reasonable expectation.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What this changes for me is it curb stomps the last bit if unrealistic expectations. 

In on of the polls before the season, I picked 8-4 as our regular season record....  because we're in year one under a new coach. Rome wasn't built in a day....blah blah blah

4-2 over the last 6 games seems pretty realistic and likely even likely with the flaws we see.  I think we go 1-2 against OSU, BU, and ISU, and then close out with 3 straight wins.

Next Year, on the other hand, we need to be a fixture in the top 10.

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

We are likely an 8-4 or 9-3 team this year.   Nothing more.   Why the hell anybody is talking about running the table after what we saw in the trenches is pure folly.   

jel 

One difference is that I’m at a loss, I’m having to apologize to children for turning them into Longhorns.

You've met Landon a couple of times now. He’s 2-7 at this game. The one year his mom wouldn’t let him go, because the split, we of course won.

He’s fucking 2 and 7 in the Cotton Bowl. And we had them dead to rights. There no way to lose that game. Oh, oh wait, hold my beer.

I’m embarrassed.

Help me Obi-Beard Kenobi, you’re my only hope. 

Yes, I still believe this season is salvageable, but I’m having trouble dragging others down with me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

I've been watching Texas football since 2000. I attended the 2004 and 2005 Rose Bowl, numerous RRS (wins/losses/one Mack Special), and a few home conference games. I've watched many of our comebacks to include the OSU series in the 2000s. The way last Saturday's game ended reminded me of what I felt during the 2013 BYU game. In every loss before that one, I always thought we had a chance of coming back. But that night I knew we were beyond hopeless. Last Saturday, we had an 18 point lead until late in the third quarter. Once they scored the touchdown to go within one possession, I knew there was zero hope of us stopping their comeback. I place the vast majority of the blame on the defense, but it was evident neither unit could do anything effect the inevitable outcome. Once again, I'm not blaming the offense, but had they been able to sustain any scoring drive we could have had a different outcome. As for the defense, the bloodbath that started with Brooks' long run (overturned fumble) was absolutely demoralizing. Even if Worthy doesn't fumble on the KO, OU still has plenty of time to march down the field to tie, and then beat us in overtime again. I was surprised and happy to see us respond with a game tying drive, but when I saw 1:23 left on the clock, I knew there was no way we could stop them from getting into field goal range. As it turns out, they didn't even need to kick the field goal because they sliced through our defense like a knife through hot butter. Giving up a comeback is one thing, but playing like that on defense is sickening. 323 passing and 339 rushing is an embarrassment. Letting a backup QB dribble snaps and throw arm punts over us is an embarrassment. We looked helpless and that adds to the pain factor.

All that emotional bullshit aside, I'm still on board with Sark and I still like what he's doing on offense and ST. As for Pete K, I'm not ready to fire up a banner plane for him yet, but I probably will nitpick the living shit out of our defense for the rest of the year. The Arkansas game made it abundantly clear that we're a bit undermanned in the defensive front seven. However I never would've though our talent is 106/130. I hope PK is not too stubborn to realize that something needs to change or else his unit will cost us 2-3 games on the remaining schedule. Our recruiting does show promise.

my problem is you have to take one thing away.  we took neither away and gave up 660 with a near even split.  that is a coaching failure of epic proportions on the order of rout 66.

and the running QB v Rattler excuse is pretty much bullshit.  this isn't the 90's where you face 10 west coast offense teams and then all of a sudden you have to face Tommy Frazier.  preparing for running QB should be part of the package every game because every team has one and if he's the backup you prepare to blitz the fuck out of him.

what's different is nothing.  we are back to square one like we were in most of Herman's seasons.  here's to hoping Sark and PK can get their shit together and finish better than herman was usually able to.

It appears they are shaking up the lineup on OL and D so maybe there is some hope.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

and the running QB v Rattler excuse is pretty much bullshit.  this isn't the 90's where you face 10 west coast offense teams and then all of a sudden you have to face Tommy Frazier.  preparing for running QB should be part of the package every game because every team has one and if he's the backup you prepare to blitz the fuck out of him.

OMG!  How did you think that up?!!  It's so EASY, holy shit!!!!  Quick, someone forward this to Sark!!!!!111

Jim Carrey Idea GIF

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

One difference is that I’m at a loss, I’m having to apologize to children for turning them into Longhorns.

You've met Landon a couple of times now. He’s 2-7 at this game. The one year his mom wouldn’t let him go, because the split, we of course won.

He’s fucking 2 and 7 in the Cotton Bowl. And we had them dead to rights. There no way to lose that game. Oh, oh wait, hold my beer.

I’m embarrassed.

Help me Obi-Beard Kenobi, you’re my only hope. 

Yes, I still believe this season is salvageable, but I’m having trouble dragging others down with me.

i laugh heartily at your 2 and 7

comedy GOALD

6 hours ago, B00M said:

Connor Williams in '15? Rusty- Zach Shackelford in '16? Cosmi as a RS Fr in '18? Keondre Coburn as a RS Fr in '19?

nice retort

how many of them would have played if we didn't have to have them playing because we were so not deep at the time?

granted cosmi and williams both made the league so they were legit from the start, but did they break in early because we were thin or because of their talent?

however, point conceded.

we have had a few.

a.

few.

Less Brockermeyer or emphasize that when tackles people, he is allowed to push them back instead of them falling forward over him.

Jamison should be the only man deep on return. 

O-line needs to know assignments. Too much “I thought he was yours.” It’s a bit not being good, but mostly not understanding who picks up what, which should always be inside-out to take away quickest route to qb. No need to hammer anything other than basics.

16 hours ago, LonghornLurker said:

Well, Randolph Duke is finally gone, so at least it wasn’t all bad. 

In all seriousness though, it doesn’t change much. It’s a bitter feeling to blow a 21 point lead, though. 

Resident anti aggy expert got sourced?

On 10/13/2021 at 7:07 AM, LonghornLurker said:

Well, Randolph Duke is finally gone, so at least it wasn’t all bad. 

In all seriousness though, it doesn’t change much. It’s a bitter feeling to blow a 21 point lead, though. 

If he stays gone there will almost be a silver lining in last Saturday’s disaster

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2021 at 1:29 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

The impacts won’t be felt until we see how the team responds.  Do the come out and mud hole OSU. Are the mountain of mistakes that was made against Oklahoma fixed or will they continue throughout the season. I would hope that this lesson of no lead is big enough keep their  foot on your throat until they’re completely fucking dead is ingrained in every player. But for now the impacts won’t be shown unless this team just folds it’s dick  over and says fuck it. Or do they go on a tear and clean house the only real remaining thread that I feel is Iowa State   But I’m not certain that a big 12 championship game is in play just yet

Welp. I guess we see. Same shit diff weekend diff trash team.  No fight. Little dick energy.  No killer mentality. Shit O line. Baylor rolls. Iowa state rolls. Maybe we beat Kansas  WVU will rush for 300.  Same mistakes and nothing fixed.  Thankfully my saturdays are free now 

nothing is different. This is the same team for over 10 years now.

10 fucking years. 

No excuses. Poor tackling , poor line, poor defense, bizarrely poor play calling during the second half, dumb decisions by the QB and at times receivers(cant catch) playing like DBs and DBs (cant tackle ) playing like receivers. Even the return man gets the dumb dumbs too much. 

We sold our soul for the 2015 NC and the devil wants his payment