Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

We're not far from the superstars, and maybe the second tier players, just deciding they're playing 65-72 games a year, and that's it.  If enough of them do it, there's not shit the league or owners can do except adapt.  We'll see if Kawhi's playbook this year was a trend setter or not.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

That and it would affect career stats.

Other than career points, does anyone actually care about total stats? John Stockton is barely in the best point guard conversation, despite being the all-time leader in assists and steals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, aggie08 said:

Other than career points, does anyone actually care about total stats? John Stockton is barely in the best point guard conversation, despite being the all-time leader in assists and steals.

I think Pam's post was a direct response to the insertion of the baseball season's length into the discussion. Baseball fans obviously care a lot about career totals so dropping that season by 25% is never going to happen.

Not to mention baseball actually needs far more games than any other sport because of the nature of the game. The worse team beats the better team in baseball far more often than other sports.

KD is a moron:

1.  hates playing with ballhog Russell Westbrook -- now joins Kyrie

2. Warriors are winners, Nets are Nyets

3. GS was giving him more money

4. He's not going to be the same player in 2 years.

5. D Jordan is aging garbage who will be constantly injured.

6. KD is a moron

• Fuck You 3

9 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

He's actually not but keep doing you. He's doing what he wants to do. We all wish we could have that freedom.

leaving a quality franchise for a bad one and passing on tens of millions, and playing with a ballhog. Yeah, good move.

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

leaving a quality franchise for a bad one and passing on tens of millions, and playing with a ballhog. Yeah, good move.

You could tell he regretted that Warriors move. He became very hostile and defensive his time there. He knew no one respected him. I don't think he thought it was going to go that way when he made the decision. Taking less money to go to an inferior team proves he wants to prove he can do it on his own, not with the help he had with the Warriors foundation that was in place. He won a few rings and Finals MVPs. Nothing else he could do there that anyone would respect. Players shouldn't worry about how they are perceived but many do and its real. Going to the Nets is pretty much the opposite of when he went to the Warriors. Winning there would trump anything he did with the Warriors.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NowThis said:

KD is a moron:

1.  hates playing with ballhog Russell Westbrook -- now joins Kyrie

2. Warriors are winners, Nets are Nyets

3. GS was giving him more money

4. He's not going to be the same player in 2 years.

5. D Jordan is aging garbage who will be constantly injured.

6. KD is a moron

This kind of post is exactly why it's a good move, actually. When he signed with the Warriors, people ripped him. People are now ripping him (not necessarily the same people) for a fairly opposite signing. Whiners and wannabes are going to rip him for whatever decision he makes, so fuck 'em. He signed with Brooklyn because he wanted to sign with Brooklyn. Good for him.

• Like 5

As someone who ripped KD for signing with the Warriors, I have absolutely no reason to rip him for signing with the Nets. Good for him. I hope he comes back fully healthy and enjoys his time with the Nets. I’ll even cheer for him to win a ring there, unless they are playing the Spurs in the Finals.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NowThis said:

What makes the Warriors quality and the Nets a bad franchise? Besides the titles that Golden State sleptwalked into with Durant. 

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He ain't winning with that Nets roster, either.  Assuming he comes back at 100% after a year, Jordan is now another year older.  Sure, they could get some new pieces but they'll need more than what they have now.

Huh?  By the time he comes back, Jordan will be a backup with great peripherals for a 20 minute a night guy.  Jarrett Allen and he will make a formidable 1-2 bunch on the block.  They have Spencer Dinwiddie, Caris Levert, Rodios Kurucs, and Joe Harris who can all play and are legit supporting pieces.  They need a little more shooting but Kyrie and KD should help with open looks.  If KD can come back to even approach his previous skillset then they should be a legit contender in 2020-21.  They also have an expiring Allen Crabbe contract to move to get better along the way as well as a bevy of picks to leverage to get some help at deadlines.  The biggest question is KD himself and his health but they should be in the mix unless Kyrie breaks down (possible with knee).

• Like 2

tapatalk is fucking up as usual, otherwise i'd post the pic, but i got an alert that says "KD just wants to hoop: "KD reportedly found Warriors outspokenness, consistent drama distracting."

makes sense, but i'm also not going to read too much into it. 99% of the players in the league have things about their team that they don't like. i have no doubt that KD loved being a Warrior and he definitely got along with Steph and Klay. i'm sure that won't stop people from running with a different narrative, but what can you do. 

Edited by Goo Punch

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Let's hope they never play the Spurs in the Finals, if only because I'd like at least a little color in the uniform matchup. 

Maybe the Spurs could wear some Fiesta unis for that series.

Shit.  Breakout the ABA throwbacks if those 2 ever meet in the Finals. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Westbrook is a net negative to winning a title.  I like his supporting cast in Brooklyn a lot better than what it would likely be in OKC if you switch out Paul George for KD.

10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Ok, True or false?  KD would have had a better shot at a title staying in OKC than he currently does in Brooklyn.

I say false.  

Paul George wasn't there.  Had Durant gone back to OKC, he would have been there with Dipo along with Westbrook and Adams.  That's an infinitely better starting lineup than what he'll have in Brooklyn unless they add more pieces.  He could have easily won a title with that roster.  It was the year before he should have won one had him and Westbrook not collapsed after being up 3-1.

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

tapatalk is fucking up as usual, otherwise i'd post the pic, but i got an alert that says "KD just wants to hoop: "KD reportedly found Warriors outspokenness, consistent drama distracting."

makes sense, but i'm also not going to read too much into it. 99% of the players in the league have things about their team that they don't like. i have no doubt that KD loved being a Warrior and he definitely got along with Steph and Klay. i'm sure that won't stop people from running with a different narrative, but what can you do. 

He was a big part of that drama.

• Like 3

Paul George wasn't there.  Had Durant gone back to OKC, he would have been there with Dipo along with Westbrook and Adams.  That's an infinitely better starting lineup than what he'll have in Brooklyn unless they add more pieces.  He could have easily won a title with that roster.  It was the year before he should have won one had him and Westbrook not collapsed after being up 3-1.

Westbrook still forcing it in crunchtime?

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Report out today of both Marc Spears and Kendrick Perkins saying KD left because he felt under appreciated by the fans. Felt he was a distant second to steph. 

The 2 back breakers were apparently the fans chanting MVP for curry and not him and bob Meyers joking that KD would get any contract he wanted in free agency just like curry, during their parade. 

Personally, I like the move to Brooklyn. It is a good chance for him to separate himself from the reputation he developed by joining the warriors. It comes at an awful time with his injury though so I hope he can become even 90% of the player he was. That being said, if Marc and Kendrick are correct in his reasoning for leaving GSW... yeaasshh man. If you knew that you would get upset not being the center of attention ALL the time then you should have never gone to a team that had just won 73 games and had the reigning 2 time MVP and possibly best player in the game at the time. Especially when that player was on the same team that drafted him. Not a chance in hell those fans appreciate a transplant as much as the kid they raised. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Report out today of both Marc Spears and Kendrick Perkins saying KD left because he felt under appreciated by the fans. Felt he was a distant second to steph. 

The 2 back breakers were apparently the fans chanting MVP for curry and not him and bob Meyers joking that KD would get any contract he wanted in free agency just like curry, during their parade. 

Personally, I like the move to Brooklyn. It is a good chance for him to separate himself from the reputation he developed by joining the warriors. It comes at an awful time with his injury though so I hope he can become even 90% of the player he was. That being said, if Marc and Kendrick are correct in his reasoning for leaving GSW... yeaasshh man. If you knew that you would get upset not being the center of attention ALL the time then you should have never gone to a team that had just won 73 games and had the reigning 2 time MVP and possibly best player in the game at the time. Especially when that player was on the same team that drafted him. Not a chance in hell those fans appreciate a transplant as much as the kid they raised. 

I think most of that would be a non issue. The main reason he took so much crap was because he joined the team that had just eliminated his old team, in seven games, where OKC was a few minutes from taking the series in Game 6 and blew it. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" isn't looked upon too kindly in the macho world of sports. I personally didn't give a fuck, it was a good move for him as evidenced by his titles and finals MVP awards. But sports fans are stupid over little things.

47 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think most of that would be a non issue. The main reason he took so much crap was because he joined the team that had just eliminated his old team, in seven games, where OKC was a few minutes from taking the series in Game 6 and blew it. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" isn't looked upon too kindly in the macho world of sports. I personally didn't give a fuck, it was a good move for him as evidenced by his titles and finals MVP awards. But sports fans are stupid over little things.

I agree, but he had to know that the fans in Oakland would never put him on the same level as Steph.  Durant going to that team was a scrutinized move but you could argue that the guy wanted to win a championship. More power to him.  But it seems more like he wants to be the most appreciated on the team AND win a championship (or maybe just be appreciated more than anyone on the team?).  If that was the case then him moving to GSW was one of the dumbest ideas he could have had.  I'm starting to think that KD is either a complete idiot or just flat out doesn't really know what he wants.

That being said, if he wants to win AND be the most appreciated guy on the team then a move to Toronto might have been better than New York.  That team has proven it can win with a top 5 player (granted injuries helped) and Kyle Lowry is more than willing to give the team over to a new star.  He's going to basically have the same schemes in brooklyn that supposedly ran him out of OKC when he said he wanted to play team ball.  I've got a feeling that Brooklyn isn't going to be the last stop in his career. I wouldn't doubt that his legacy just ends up being an amazing player (top 10 all time) and that's about it.  Not the hero of some town/team like it sounds like he wants.

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

. If you knew that you would get upset not being the center of attention ALL the time then you should have never gone to a team that had just won 73 games and had the reigning 2 time MVP and possibly best player in the game at the time. Especially when that player was on the same team that drafted him. Not a chance in hell those fans appreciate a transplant as much as the kid they raised. 

This exactly.  I don't see many warrior fans crying about him leaving.  He came in as a mercenary, and left as one.  Thanks for the 2 rings. I can't believe they are gonna retire his number. 

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

just flat out doesn't really know what he wants.

That's likely the nuts and bolts of is.  Which makes him no different than a lot of us.  Maybe he felt underappreciated in GS (probably valid), but I don't think that he ever wanted to be "The Man" or else he would have never come to the team with the 2-time reigning MVP.  I think he wanted to be a part of an egalitarian basketball family.  He probably thought being in a big city, playing selfless, team-first basketball, and winning a couple championships would fulfill him.  It didn't.  But I don't think anyone's to blame in that.  He's a searcher.

But he had to know that the drama-free days of just coming to the gym and hooping ended the second he walked out of OKC's college-like bubble.  Other than Draymond, it's not like the Warriors' locker room is particularly outspoken or drama-prone individually.  But drama is unavoidable when you're under the league's biggest microscope as the polarizing juggernaut that people would love to see torn apart. His personality type didn't mesh well with that.  I like Brooklyn for him a lot more than the Knicks, but there's going to be drama there too.  He seems in a better place in his life to handle it.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:08 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Is Durant the most sensitive superstar in the history of sports?

Eh, Durant is probably not even the most sensitive superstar in NBA history.

Shaquille O'Neal would make KD look like someone with thick skin in comparison.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 12:08 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Is Durant the most sensitive superstar in the history of sports?

not even close. how about mike tyson, or ryan leaf, or aaron rodgers, or a million other guys. newsflash: lots and lots of famous athletes are super sensitive and insecure. 

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

not even close. how about mike tyson, or ryan leaf, or aaron rodgers, or a million other guys. newsflash: lots and lots of famous athletes are super sensitive and insecure. 

Westbrook has big ears too....

Aww does the truth hurt that bad? I get that he was a great player for UT and has done a lot for the school. But the fact remains that his ego gets bruised when fans don’t love him as much as another player. He gets defensive when kids living in their parents basements criticize him on Twitter. He’s charmin soft. That doesn’t change him as a player. He’s going to be a top 10 all time guy.