Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
15 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
KD is a HOF lock.  I’ll just say it’s nice to see some objective Longhorns.  
Well, I’ll say one more thing...As for the others, I can’t hate on supporting a loyal Horn.  

Objective? Lulz, what a load of shit. Every one of the posters you're calling objective is butthurt because the Spurs and/or Rockets have to play the Warriors. Seriously, as pointed out above, some idiots are acting like joining the Spurs would have been okay. The 5 time champs. But oh by the way they're that poster's favorite team.

It's really only all about this. They would've been the same level of dominant had KD gone to the Spurs. KD, Leonard, LA, and Pop?

The Spurs were not coming off back to back Finals trips and setting the single season win record.  And the Spurs weren't down 3-1 against the KD led Thunder only to have Durant & company choke it away.  If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.  My dislike of Durant began with his bullshit fake tough guy act, not when he chose to join GS.  Would I dislike him as much if he had chosen the Spurs instead?  Probably not, but I would never have loved him as much as Duncan, Parker, or Manu mostly because of his personality. I also do not blame him one bit for wanting to leave OKC.  I wouldn't want to live in OKC and I wouldn't want to play with Westbrook.  He picked the easiest way to a title and he has that right.  I also have the right to dislike him for that choice as well as his bullshit personality. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 2

No, the Spurs only won a pathetic 67 games, and were two whole years removed from a championship.  If you don't think that San Antonio would have been comfortable favorites had KD gone there, I don't know what to tell you.

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

The Spurs were not coming off back to back Finals trips and setting the single season win record.  And the Spurs weren't down 3-1 against the KD led Thunder only to have Durant & company choke it away.  If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.  My dislike of Durant began with his bullshit fake tough guy act, not when he chose to join GS.  Would I dislike him as much if he had chosen the Spurs instead?  Probably not, but I would never have loved him as much as Duncan, Parker, or Manu mostly because of his personality. I also do not blame him one bit for wanting to leave OKC.  I wouldn't want to live in OKC and I wouldn't want to play with Westbrook.  He picked the easiest way to a title and he has that right.  I also have the right to dislike him for that choice as well as his bullshit personality. 

username.....you know the rest.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No, the Spurs only won a pathetic 67 games, and were two whole years removed from a championship.  If you don't think that San Antonio would have been comfortable favorites had KD gone there, I don't know what to tell you.

Where did I say that?  I acknowledged that my dislike of Durant would probably be less if he had chosen the Spurs.  

2 hours ago, plvhorn said:

For all the good he does on and off the court, I wish he were more confident in the decisions he’s made. He definitely comes across as angry and insecure in the podcasts he’s done with Bill Simmons. I get that none of us live under the microscope he does, but he’s on top of the world and got there by working hard. Who gives a shit what a few “blog boys” say about him?

I think we've all come to realize by now that the two biggest lies in sports are 1) I don't care what other people think, and 2) I don't even listen to/read that stuff anyway.  Every word that's written or said about these guys gets back to them either directly, or through their people.  I think a lot of players probably think like KD--especially the high-profile ones who have dudes literally making a living off of tearing them down (Skip Bayless, Nick Wright, etc.)--but they're smart enough not to voice their insecurities/frustrations.

Edited by aggie08

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Where did I say that?  I acknowledged that my dislike of Durant would probably be less if he had chosen the Spurs.  

I just find it funny that you dislike him for taking the easiest path, but would "probably" dislike him less had he chosen the 2nd easiest.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Objective? Lulz, what a load of shit. Every one of the posters you're calling objective is butthurt because the Spurs and/or Rockets have to play the Warriors. Seriously, as pointed out above, some idiots are acting like joining the Spurs would have been okay. The 5 time champs. But oh by the way they're that poster's favorite team.

Very objective indeed.  The 5 championships that they won in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2014.  

7 years gap.  no big deal.

2015 they got knocked out of the 1st round. 

2016 knocked out of 2nd round.   Duncan also retired.  It was Kawhi after 1st all-star season + LMA.

VS:  the team that just eclipsed the Bulls as the most fearsome regular season in history, coming off 2 straight Finals, with the reigning MVP.  

yeah, no difference at all.

funny thing is, i never even liked the Spurs at all.  (but i respect the hell out of them).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No, the Spurs only won a pathetic 67 games, and were two whole years removed from a championship. 

You left the convenient fact that of their big 3, a Hall of Fame center retired, and Manu turned 38.  

Real comparable to the Warriors' situation, right?

If you don't think that San Antonio would have been comfortable favorites had KD gone there, I don't know what to tell you.

Catch anyone claiming otherwise?

Why the hell are you wasting words explaining that that year's Spurs weren't quite as good at that year's Warriors (duh), when you acknowledge that a title would have been almost as easy, almost as automatic, if KD went there instead? The end result is likely the same.

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Why the hell are you wasting words explaining that that year's Spurs weren't quite as good at that year's Warriors (duh), when you acknowledge that a title would have been almost as easy, almost as automatic, if KD went there instead? The end result is likely the same.

Why do you single-out and latch on to the belief that his going to GSW asthe single cause of the tarnishment to his reputation?

Man, look, I can accept that he'll finish his career as the most decorated NBA player in Longhorn history. I can also accept his love for the university that he spent 2 semesters at, and all the good he gives back to my University.

But having said that, I view every person as a person, and since this thread brought up "the decision" along with his personality, I'll be the first to say that KD is wack as shit. He's extremely insecure and still doesn't seem to grasp how a large portion of NBA fans thinks it's suspect as fuck to leave the team you reached pretty decent heights with to join the team that beat you. His insecurities shine through both in the way he talks about that situation and in the crazy shit he does like create burner accounts to defend himself. He has this nagging chip on his shoulder that only he's responsible for yet he'll never fully comprehend why people will view him this way. No shared identity will gloss over somebody's personality and character to me, and on that front, I can name plenty more basketball Longhorns that I am way more proud of to have representing my school...

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I just find it funny that you dislike him for taking the easiest path, but would "probably" dislike him less had he chosen the 2nd easiest.

Any team that he would have conceivably gone to would have been the 2nd easiest.  If he chose to go to the Clippers when they have Jordan and Paul (obviously Blask would be gone as part of a sign and trade), then the Clippers would have jumped ahead of the Spurs as the favorites.  If he had chosen to stay in OKC, they remain 2nd or 3rd in the west and perennial contenders (they were up 3-1 against the greatest regular season team ever).  What if he had gone to Boston with a great GM and coach and plenty of assets to upgrade the roster?  They would have been co-favorites to come out of the East.  

He chose the easiest possible path to ensure his legacy was not like Charles Barkey or Karl Malone.  He had the right and I have the right to dislike him for it.  

Edited by Hate

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Why do you single-out and latch on to the belief that his going to GSW asthe single cause of the tarnishment to his reputation?

The fuck? You also accused me of only using one data point when I was talking about his social media activities last page.  So which single cause am I latching onto with my multiple arguments?

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Any team that he would have conceivably gone to would have been the 2nd easiest.  If he chose to go to the Clippers when they have Jordan and Paul (obviously Blask would be gone as part of a sign and trade), then the Clippers would have jumped ahead of the Spurs as the favorites.  If he had chosen to stay in OKC, they remain 2nd or 3rd in the west and perennial contenders (they were up 3-1 against the greatest regular season team ever).  What if he had gone to Boston with a great GM and coach and plenty of assets to upgrade the roster?  They would have been co-favorites to come out of the East.  

He chose the easiest possible path to ensure his legacy was not like Charles Barkey or Karl Malone.  He had the right and I have the right to dislike him for it.  

I think the point is your characterization that you'd probably dislike him less if he chose your team, which happens to be the Spurs.  I mean your hate of him amuses me but just own it.  You hate him largely because he didn't choose the Spurs and therefore probably has closed our window for the last 2 years and probably for another 2.  If he went to the Spurs, you'd have his dick in your mouth.... as would all Spurs fans.  LOL.  Nothing wrong with admitting it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The fuck? You also accused me of only using one data point when I was talking about his social media activities last page.  So which single cause am I latching onto with my multiple arguments?

Then why bother hamming on about 'going to SA is just as egregious'.  when its not close to the same thing. 

add to the heel turn he did , at the height of his popularity after having just cemented the 'momma u da real MVP' persona...

eoRsxw.gif

I love KD.  When he was with Seattle/OKC, I followed his box score religiously.  I'm a Rockets fan, but my 2nd favorite team was OKC and I wanted KD to win a ring there. 

Remember the day he signed with the Warriors vividly. Even though I didn't blame him one bit for wanting out, I was floored when he signed with Golden State. 

Since then, I've just been a casual fan.  Don't follow his career closely anymore. I'm glad he's happy, glad he won a ring, glad he got a Finals MVP, but my fandom has definitely waned. In OKC he was the underdog in a small market, chasing LeBron for the # 1 spot.  That was easier to root for. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Remember the day he signed with the Warriors vividly. Even though I didn't blame him one bit for wanting out, I was floored when he signed with Golden State. 

Since then, I've just been a casual fan.  Don't follow his career closely anymore. I'm glad he's happy, glad he won a ring, glad he got a Finals MVP, but my fandom has definitely waned. In OKC he was the underdog in a small market, chasing LeBron for the # 1 spot.  That was easier to root for. 

That's perfectly understandable. Even as a Warrior's fan, I was a little bummed that KD chose Golden State. I'm a much bigger basketball fan than I am a Warriors' fan. It's hard not to feel like we missed out on 4-5 years of some combination of OKC, Golden State, San Antonio, Boston, Houston, Cleveland, and maybe Philly going at each other's throats as relatively even-matched teams.

Also, we don't get as many 40 point masterpieces from KD anymore because he doesn't have to. We don't get Steph light shows seemingly every night anymore because he doesn't have to. They've been as efficient as ever, but probably not as fun.

But that's nothing against KD personally. As soon as he decided that it was in his best interest to leave Oklahoma (haha, no shit), it's impossible to blame him for choosing the best career and life fit. It's what all of us would do in our own professions. Granted, we're not judged through the prism of competitive sports, so I get when people devalue his title a little, or don't treat it the same way they would have had he taken his start-up company to the promised land (like Dirk), rather than joining Apple. But all the "bitch" and "coward" and easy way out stuff is ridiculous.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
17 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
KD is a HOF lock.  I’ll just say it’s nice to see some objective Longhorns.  
Well, I’ll say one more thing...As for the others, I can’t hate on supporting a loyal Horn.  

Ha, I definitely did not track which fans were on what side.  But thanks for pointing that out.  Makes more sense...

Question. What was there to dislike prior to him going to GS?

I didn’t like his fake tough persona that he flipped to. It was like WWE turning the good guy into the bad guy. He seems fake to me, and I don’t like that.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I didn’t like his fake tough persona that he flipped to. It was like WWE turning the good guy into the bad guy. He seems fake to me, and I don’t like that.

That happened AFTER going to GS.

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That happened AFTER going to GS.

it started in OKC. He and Westbrook copped an “us vs. them” bunker attitude with the media.  It was petty and lame.  Especially since most of it was directed at the tame, coddling local media.

It started a couple of years before he left OKC and he seems to have only chosen to take it to another level.  His first 5 years in the league he had a combined 12 technical fouls.  The very next season he had 12 (2012-2013).  He's had no fewer than 8 in any full season that he has played since and already had 14 this year.  He made a conscious decision to be appear "tougher" for some reason. 

37 minutes ago, Hate said:

It started a couple of years before he left OKC and he seems to have only chosen to take it to another level.  His first 5 years in the league he had a combined 12 technical fouls.  The very next season he had 12 (2012-2013).  He's had no fewer than 8 in any full season that he has played since and already had 14 this year.  He made a conscious decision to be appear "tougher" for some reason. 

then I stand corrected....

KD was very conscious of pleasing other people earlier in his career. 

Then he made a decision to look out for his best interests and do things on his terms. He stopped giving a fuck about what other people expected out of him.  Sure, his overall popularity has taken a hit, but good for him if he's a happier person today. 

6 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Man, look, I can accept that he'll finish his career as the most decorated NBA player in Longhorn history. I can also accept his love for the university that he spent 2 semesters at, and all the good he gives back to my University.

But having said that, I view every person as a person, and since this thread brought up "the decision" along with his personality, I'll be the first to say that KD is wack as shit. He's extremely insecure and still doesn't seem to grasp how a large portion of NBA fans thinks it's suspect as fuck to leave the team you reached pretty decent heights with to join the team that beat you. His insecurities shine through both in the way he talks about that situation and in the crazy shit he does like create burner accounts to defend himself. He has this nagging chip on his shoulder that only he's responsible for yet he'll never fully comprehend why people will view him this way. No shared identity will gloss over somebody's personality and character to me, and on that front, I can name plenty more basketball Longhorns that I am way more proud of to have representing my school...

Once again, people talking about him like he spits on reporters and beats women. I feel like I slept through a KD crime spree at some point. Every single “bad” thing he’s done is 100% human and *should* be relatable to all of us. Instead he’s villianized for the smallest shit, while people completely ignore his philanthropy and the fact that he’s actually a nice, humble, normal guy who happens to be mega-famous.

By the way, when’s the last time we even heard from KD? He keeps his mouth shut for 95% of the NBA season and people describe him as if he’s Kanye West, running around atttacting negative attention to himself for sport. The guy hoops and sleeps, but hey, let’s act like he’s out here running his mouth and starting shit left and right.

KD wins MVP and gives the greatest MVP speech ever: My heart is swelling with pride!! I am so proud to call Kevin Durant a fellow Longhorn! Great guy, humble guy, class act; he’s everything I want in a UT representative! 

KD leaves a toxic, never-gonna-win-shit situation for the Warriors: KD is a bitch. Fuck KD. He’s not even an alum. He might be good at basketball but he’s still a scumbag.

^^^* y’all trip me out  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Because he's insecure as hell... that's the reason.

Also, does Goo Punch = Derka? If so I guess the basketball forum was fun while it lasted. See y'all in other threads....

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Because he's insecure as hell... that's the reason.

Also, does Goo Punch = Derka? If so I guess the basketball forum was fun while it lasted. See y'all in other threads....

I doubt you’ll ever realize it, but people like you  who say this dumb shit do more to ruin the board and the conversation than I do. By a huge margin. Only one of us has personally attacked someone here. I’m talking hoops. What are you doing? Starting shit. Think about it.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Also, we don't get as many 40 point masterpieces from KD anymore because he doesn't have to. We don't get Steph light shows seemingly every night anymore because he doesn't have to. They've been as efficient as ever, but probably not as fun.

For me, the GSW playbook got even more interesting because of this, as the ball is passed around even more than it was before. It's even more of a team play than ever. 

Don't get the KD hate at all. It doesn't seem surprising to me that a supremely talented guy has a chip on his shoulder or is rabid in protecting his image off court. On the court, he seems pretty business like to me. 

• Like 1

He's a great player and has won at least one title but don't pretend that all titles are equal.  Not hardly.  His title isn't even in the same universe at Bron's Cleveland title or either of Hakeem's titles.  Not fucking close even if KD wins 5 titles with GS.  Hell, it's not even in the same league as Dirk's title.

Those guys won titles.  Durant went to a team that won one for him.  Sorry, it's the truth and he knows it.  That's why he's so sensitive about it.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

He's a great player and has won at least one title but don't pretend that all titles are equal.  Not hardly.  His title isn't even in the same universe at Bron's Cleveland title or either of Hakeem's titles.  Not fucking close even if KD wins 5 titles with GS.  Hell, it's not even in the same league as Dirk's title.
Those guys won titles.  Durant went to a team that won one for him.  Sorry, it's the truth and he knows it.  That's why he's so sensitive about it.

This is exactly correct.

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Durant won Finals MVP. I agree that his championship doesn't carry the weight of Dirk's or LeBron's Cavs title, but to argue that Golden State won the title for him is silly.

Edit: I would say that the Golden State superteam put Durant in position to make the impact that he did.

Edited by Machinator

Durant won Finals MVP. I agree that his championship doesn't carry the weight of Dirk's or LeBron's Cavs title, but to argue that Golden State won the title for him is silly.
Edit: I would say that the Golden State superteam put Durant in position to make the impact that he did.
Andre iguadala also won mvp

I also had a problem with the narrative of Durant in OKC being that he could never win one there because they were so saddled with spare parts.  They were plenty good enough.  He just didn't win there.  They won 45 games after he left without getting anything in return.  It's not like Cleveland after Bron left.  

Tonight says a lot about the Warriors without KD...... Frankly, if KD doesn't go to the Warriors, I"m not sure they win another title.  Very serious.  They can get exposed in the playoffs and Cleveland and Houston have shown the blueprints by attacking Curry and wearing him down.  I'm not saying they wouldn't have won another but it's looking less and less likely as we see guys like Livingston and Iggy become less effective with time and age and other team's understanding how to attack them.  Also, as other guys on dynasty's explain, those deep runs into the playoffs wear on you.  Now they would have Harrison Barnes and perhaps his value could have kept the Warriors afloat but damn they look really bad sometimes.  Tonight, KD (who didn't play great defense) was the only dude that showed up....

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tonight says a lot about the Warriors without KD...... Frankly, if KD doesn't go to the Warriors, I"m not sure they win another title.  Very serious.  They can get exposed in the playoffs and Cleveland and Houston have shown the blueprints by attacking Curry and wearing him down.  I'm not saying they wouldn't have won another but it's looking less and less likely as we see guys like Livingston and Iggy become less effective with time and age and other team's understanding how to attack them.  Also, as other guys on dynasty's explain, those deep runs into the playoffs wear on you.  Now they would have Harrison Barnes and perhaps his value could have kept the Warriors afloat but damn they look really bad sometimes.  Tonight, KD (who didn't play great defense) was the only dude that showed up....

They probably win at least one more but they're probably not set up to be an extended dynasty like they are now.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I also had a problem with the narrative of Durant in OKC being that he could never win one there because they were so saddled with spare parts.  They were plenty good enough.  He just didn't win there.  They won 45 games after he left without getting anything in return.  It's not like Cleveland after Bron left.  

A better approximation is Miami when Bron left.  Comparing it to Cleveland is foolish.  Miami won 54 after Lebron left.... Cleveland tore the whole thing down.

Warriors gave up all their depth to get Durant

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:
4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Warriors gave up all their depth to get Durant

Did they?  Because he makes about 2 million more than Harrison Barnes so they would have looked about the same..... What kind of depth can they get for 2 million?