Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

His fringey Top 10. I’ve got him at 10-12.

Agree. He's comfortably top 15. Maybe could hear an argument for 10th. Personally I have everyone with more majors above him - save maybe Vardon - and I for sure have Trevino above him. He could potentially be knocked down a peg but not sure how close anyone is yet. Rory the closest but needs at least a Masters to make it a debate. 

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Agree. He's comfortably top 15. Maybe could hear an argument for 10th. Personally I have everyone with more majors above him - save maybe Vardon - and I for sure have Trevino above him. He could potentially be knocked down a peg but not sure how close anyone is yet. Rory the closest but needs at least a Masters to make it a debate. 

Nah- you are underrating Phil and overrating Trevino.

Tiger, Jack, Hogan (I think this is inarguably the top 3, though you could put them in different orders and not be wrong but that's my exact order), then pretty clearly Player, Watson and Sam Sneed.  I don't know  what to do with Hagen, Jones and Sarazen since they played in an era where not everyone was a pro- so I'm just going to more or less arbitrarily draw a line at anyone playing as a professional during an era when that was looked down upon.  Also- fuck that was a long time ago. I'd probably then go Nelson, Mickleson, Faldo, Palmer, Seve, Trevino in that order.  Some people might think I have Palmer way too low.  I just can't get past the fact that golf is so much more competitive and so many deeper fields when Phil and Tiger played than when Jack and Arnie played.  So, that's in essence a tie breaker for me for people with similar stats. 

On 8/31/2021 at 8:05 AM, aggie08 said:

KD is probably my pick for best 1v1 player ever. If 3's count, I'm definitely picking him over MJ.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt about that. He marries small man skills with Height and Length.  He's tall enough to bother the centers down low while just toasting them from the outside when he has the ball- and he's quick enough to bother the guards with his length on the outside while on offense he'd just torch a 6'2" motherfucker.  

Lebron might be too strong for him.  I'd pay a lot of money to see KD and Lebron do 1x1 if they were both in their primes, but I think I'm betting on KD. I know I'm betting on KD over Jordan in 1v1.  6 inches is a big deal (that's what she said).

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nah- you are underrating Phil and overrating Trevino.

I'm not - but you don't have to agree with me. Trevino led the tour in scoring average FIVE times and I'd actually argue his era was tougher than Phil's when it came to winning tournaments. He also missed a bunch of Masters in his prime. 

As for earlier eras it isn't the most straightforward comparison but I think golf is easier to compare than some other sports. I would never put Phil above Bobby Jones, for example. Jones was too good and won too much in a short span. I also wouldn't put Phil above Arnie but agree they're close. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Some people might think I have Palmer way too low.  I just can't get past the fact that golf is so much more competitive and so many deeper fields when Phil and Tiger played than when Jack and Arnie played.  So, that's in essence a tie breaker for me for people with similar stats. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:42 PM, ztejas said:

I'm not - but you don't have to agree with me. Trevino led the tour in scoring average FIVE times and I'd actually argue his era was tougher than Phil's when it came to winning tournaments. He also missed a bunch of Masters in his prime. 

As for earlier eras it isn't the most straightforward comparison but I think golf is easier to compare than some other sports. I would never put Phil above Bobby Jones, for example. Jones was too good and won too much in a short span. I also wouldn't put Phil above Arnie but agree they're close. 

I will not say the field was tougher in the Jack era, but what I will say is this. If you were paying attention, Phil despite being older, never beat Tiger. He only won Majors when Tiger was either injured or fiddling with his swing. Trevino and Jack are the same age. Trevino had to go through Jack. Jack was 2nd in the 68 US Open, 2nd in the 1971 US Open, 5th in the 1971 Open, 2nd in the 1972 Open, and 2nd in the 1974 PGA. All to Lee Trevino. Gary Player was the runner up when Trevino won his last major at the 1984 PGA.

There might not have been as much comp back in the day, but at least Trevino went through prime Jack. Trevino is better than Phil and it's not even close in my mind. Plus his story is bad ass, and should be told to children everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I will not say the field was tougher in the Jack era, but what I will say is this. If you were paying attention, Phil despite being older, never beat Tiger. He only won Majors when Tiger was either injured or fiddling with his swing. Trevino and Jack are the same age. Trevino had to go through Jack. Jack was 2nd in the 68 US Open, 2nd in the 1971 US Open, 5th in the 1971 Open, 2nd in the 1972 Open, and 2nd in the 1974 PGA. All to Lee Trevino. Gary Player was the runner up when Trevino won his last major at the 1984 PGA.

Basically what I was getting at. To win anything you typically had to knock a big dog off of the top (if not multiple). In the 2000s unless it was Tiger then there weren't a ton of guys that you were constantly battling to try and scratch out wins. 

Maybe they won more because the field was weaker or maybe they won more because they were better golfers. I think both statements hold some weight. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KD easily my favorite player to watch. The most pure baller of my lifetime. Not going to be affected by any rule change b/c his game is not about cheating the game.

I know I'm late to the knuckleheads podcast party, but the episodes with Gervin and Dr. J are amazing. Dr. J offers Gervin as a good KD comp.

• 2 weeks later...

He's the only player in NBA history (alright not quite but I've never seen anyone do stuff like that as often as he does) that can do what he did starting at :08 in that clip. It's amazing how effortless he makes a basically impossible move look.

Edited by ztejas

On 10/22/2021 at 11:37 PM, ztejas said:

He's the only player in NBA history (alright not quite but I've never seen anyone do stuff like that as often as he does) that can do what he did starting at :08 in that clip. It's amazing how effortless he makes a basically impossible move look.

You almost get the feeling the game is coming to him TOO easy now. 

There have been other players who could do what he did (Spencer Haywood, Connie Hawkins) on that shot but they didn't have his unstoppable outside game.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:37 PM, ztejas said:

He basically plays like a shooting guard as a 7 footer.  It's quite the spectacle. 

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You almost get the feeling the game is coming to him TOO easy now. 

There have been other players who could do what he did (Spencer Haywood, Connie Hawkins) on that shot but they didn't have his unstoppable outside game.

Yeah but I don't think they had the handles he does. He puts the balls exactly where it needs to be down to the nearest square inch to get through both defenders there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some more fun ones through his first 8 games:

He's posting the 5th highest ppg in NBA history for players making 5 or less free throws per game. (not sure why he doesn't appear on this one - but his current ppg is 28.3). The 4 seasons above him include 3 seasons that were over 50 years ago and Curry's absolutely insane 2016 season where they won 73 games.

ftg.PNG.dc372c3e790ca00d486d8878a965ffe8.PNG

His combination of efg% (which weighs 3 point fg% alongside 2 point fg% to give an accurate measure of how efficient a player's FGA are) and ppg is completely unprecedented (edit: outside of Curry's 2016 season) and to find a season where a player had a higher efg% you have to go down to a Wilt season from 1967 where he scored 24.1 ppg (unless you include Jokic's current season through 8 games - yeah, Jokic is pretty good, too). Oh - and this is with Durant shooting 1.3% lower from 3 than he has for his career.

777733746_effectivefieldgoal.PNG.e669ecf9a4e1a1faa5b70e456ef5ed38.PNG

But neither of these really highlight how nuts what he's doing so far is, because you need to account for the fact that he's taking 72.8% of his shots further than 10 feet from the basket. And his straight up FG% is 59.2%. There are centers that live around the rim that have a worse FG%. For comparison - Jokic's current season highlighted in the search above is featuring him shoot only 42.6% of his shots from further than 10 feet. Durant is hitting 59.6% of his shots between 10 and 16 feet and SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT between 16 feet and the 3 line. And the large majority of those shots are tightly contested.

Also - he isn't really buoying any of this by hitting a lot of 3s at a high clip like Curry was doing in 2016. In that season Curry took over 60% of his shots from 3. Durant right now is taking less than 25% of his shots behind the arc - and so far it is more efficient for him to shoot between 10 and 24 feet for 2 points than 24+ for 3 - which basically completely breaks everything analytics have told us and suggested players do for the past 5-10 seasons. You'd literally rather have Durant take a 17 footer than have a 40% 3 point shooter attempt a 3.

No one has ever even remotely shot at a clip like this at a volume like this between 10 and 24 feet from the basket. Granted, that shooting data only goes back to 1996 but it doesn't really matter. Even if you were extremely generous to past scorers there's no way you could fudge the numbers anywhere close to what he is doing from those ranges. 

Sure - it's just 8 games and I doubt he keeps it up to this degree - but just doing this through 8 games is insane. 

Oh right - maybe the most nuts bullet point on this of all of them: the league is currently complaining about the ball they are using, complaining about not getting foul calls on shot attempts, and collectively shooting the lowest 3p% in like 25 seasons and the lowest FG% in 17 years. Meanwhile Durant is working on posting bar none the greatest mid range shooting season in the history of the league. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If Durant wins another scoring title this year (currently leading) it would be 8 years since his last scoring title - surpassing the previous biggest gap we've seen of 5 years by both Arizin and Curry. 

It would also give him the biggest gap between first and (potentially) last scoring titles of 12 years - surpassing MJ's 11 years between his first in '87 and last in '98.

AND make him the 3rd player to win it at 33 or older (Steph, MJ ×2).

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

One could make an argument for Giannis, but I feel like Durant is the best player in the game right now--an odd thing to say about an "old" 33-year-old starting his 15th season in the NBA.

KD was a one-man army in last season's playoffs and during the Summer Olympics, and he's picked up right where he left off this season. Nets would be trash without him, especially with Kyrie going full retard.

He'll never be considered an elite shooter (compared to the likes of Steph, Bird, Miller, etc.), but his height, handle and range make him unguardable. And ever since he went to GSW, his defense has improved drastically since his younger days, particularly off the ball.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

One could make an argument for Giannis, but I feel like Durant is the best player in the game right now--an odd thing to say about an "old" 33-year-old starting his 15th season in the NBA.

KD was a one-man army in last season's playoffs and during the Summer Olympics, and he's picked up right where he left off this season. Nets would be trash without him, especially with Kyrie going full retard.

He'll never be considered an elite shooter (compared to the likes of Steph, Bird, Miller, etc.), but his height, handle and range make him unguardable. And ever since he went to GSW, his defense has improved drastically since his younger days, particularly off the ball.

Jokic is the other guy in the discussion.  If I had to choose one guy in a series or a game to play for me, it's probably KD right now.  His efficiency is nuts, but Jokic's proving last year was not a fluke and Giannis is a unicorn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not an elite shooter? Dude is close to 50/40/90 for his career (49.6/38.4/88.2). That's fucking elite, man 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another moster game for KD. 34pts/11reb/8ast in a win over the 76ers.

The anti-KD bias in the NBA is insane. KD is scoring more than Curry, at better efficiency, and is playing better defense. He also has the Nets at #1 in the East with no Kyrie and a hobbled Harden. But Curry is the runaway MVP favorite 🙄