TT stands for tibial tuberosity

so in the past two weeks, I've been working a shit-ton around the house on my knees installing floors, etc, etc.  I wore kneepads MOST of the time, howevah, underneath the bump below my right kneecap, it is either broken loose from the skin or fluid like a blister built up, but not at the surface where I could drain it.  When I kneel, it feels like there is no skin there and it has been scraped very badly, even though the skin is not damaged or hurt at all.  It hurts like a ^%&%&^%%^$$!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not structural, as in, not within the bone or anything.  It only hurts when I kneel there, even if I have kneepads on.

Will it heal like a blister?  Is there anything I can do to alleviate the pain, besides the obvious, "Don't kneel on that knee, dumbass!"

Edited by slorch

It's more of a skin/ subdermal issue that happens to be just below the knee.  Could see it happening at the elbow, or maybe the hand.

What's interesting to me is that there are a shit-ton of smart people on here with a broad, broad range of experiences.  Not one real comment.  Google ain't worth a fuck on researching the subject either.

Guess I'm the only one it's ever happened to?   LOlz.

Well, we know that the knee can develop fluid in response to irritation and injury. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/swollen-knee/symptoms-causes/syc-20378129

And, normally, that fluid will dissipate over time if the irritation is removed.

Sometimes, the fluid can be "aspirated," removed by needle.

Because it doesn't hurt otherwise, it might be reasonable to assume that it's a reaction to the overuse irritation.  So quit scrobbling around on your knees and see what happens.

I’ve had this happen. I kneeled on concrete and sort of felt the flesh at my kneecap ‘swish’ a little. For several months it hurt like a skinned elbow or knee would hurt like road rash. Except that there wasn’t any visible damage to the skin. Just rubbing the skin on sheets or washing it in the shower hurt like hell. It went away after 3 or 4 months.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:00 PM, BottleRocket said:

I’ve had this happen. I kneeled on concrete and sort of felt the flesh at my kneecap ‘swish’ a little. For several months it hurt like a skinned elbow or knee would hurt like road rash. Except that there wasn’t any visible damage to the skin. Just rubbing the skin on sheets or washing it in the shower hurt like hell. It went away after 3 or 4 months.

This guy is describing exactly what I have.  No cysts, no swelling.  Nothing like that.

Yeah, looks like I'm just gonna get to deal with it till it heals.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:42 PM, BayouBill said:

It kind of sounds like Osgood-Schlatter....Which is pretty common in kids but can also happen in adulthood. 

I had that my last few years of high school, first few years of college. Weird deal. Never hurt during exercise or anytime really, except when I touched the top of the long bone in my lower leg, just below the knee cap. Incredibly sore. Once I climbed into the back seat of a car and the person getting into the front seat slammed the front seat back and it hit me right on the sore spot. It hurt so bad, I got tunnel vision.

Once I eased back on the running, it went away. I think its primarily in teens who are putting a load on that bone by running while the bone is still growing. I still have bony knobs on those bones where the sore spot was.

Not sure if you have a "blister" as some have said. We see a lot of people with bursitis of the knee when they do flooring projects.  The prolonged pressure irritates the bursa and badda bing badda boom - inflammation and perpetual swelling and pain. Sometimes self resolves, sometimes needs medication and occasionally needs aspiration and injection to treat. There are more than one bursa on the anterior aspect of the knee. OP could have infrapatellar bursitis. tl/dr version - go see a doctor if it doesn't resolve on its own.

spacer.png

It's not in the joint.

My knee/ the area around it is not swollen/ enflamed.

It's the skin/ under the skin between the kneecap and tibial tuberosity, mainly about a square inch of area immediately above the TT.  Think of a severe strawberry or road rash between my kneecap and tubial tuberosity; but the skin is not damaged on topside.

Edited by slorch