2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

Local radio guy had Fran Fraschilla on after the media days, Fran was driving to Ames and he gave a short interview. Fran thinks that Tech may surprise by season's end. Also said that after touring the schools and watching some practices that Texas, KU and Baylor all look the same. Just solid teams, any one could win it all this year (talking about March Madness - little bit of fluffery there imo). Asked about the new conference members he said that Ken Pom had "run the numbers" and that the BXII will still be the #1 bball conference even after the shakeup, that BYU and Cinci will bring enough to the table and the competition will be just as strong.

Radio host also had Matt Mayer on, he's a returning player for Baylor, and Matt shared his thoughts on the Bears who lost 4 key players after the championship run. Mayer says the 3 new freshmen are all NBA talent, just need to put in some work at the college level. Also is impressed with the Arizona transfer James Akinjo, very high bball IQ who can distribute the ball and score. He finished by saying that this team is not riding on last year's team accomplishments, that all of these guys dream of playing in the NBA and that means building their own legacy this year. 

Edited by El Diablo

It sounds like bill self is pretty bullish on KU’s team and a lot of the fans are saying it feels like earlier final 4 teams. I don’t feel that way at all. We have no big man depth and we have a lot of talent that has never played together. We are either going to be great or we are never going to really gel and we’ll bow out of the tourney earlier than what our ranking would suggest. 

Either way, as a KU sports fan I desperately need the football season to end. 

Apparently the ncaa decided to be harsh because the fuckstick didn’t cooperate…despite osu as a whole both instantly firing the guy, fully cooperating and essentially none of the current staff/players were even around when it happened.  

I just don’t get it.  We had a guy on staff that used his position to personally benefit with no competitive advantage, and get hammered.  

Oh well…just like with the Dez situation, accept the reality of not being a blue blood and go with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is just the latest example that the NCAA is an absolute joke and disgrace.  How this incompetent organization continues to exist I'll never understand.  

Because they never do anything to the cash cows. People will see the story, realize how stupid it all has become, then move on to the next thing. Tomorrow, nobody outside our fanbase will give a shit. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:32 PM, El Diablo said:

Asked about the new conference members he said that Ken Pom had "run the numbers" and that the BXII will still be the #1 bball conference even after the shakeup, that BYU and Cinci will bring enough to the table and the competition will be just as strong.

Interesting take since neither of them are the best program joining the B12. 

On 11/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, Skipper said:

This is just the latest example that the NCAA is an absolute joke and disgrace.  How this incompetent organization continues to exist I'll never understand.  

Ayup. NCAA should be taken out back and put down. The fucksticks in Indianapolis are long past their usefulness.

The OSU debacle actually reminded me hadn't watched "The Scheme" (HBO documentary featuring Christian Dawkins) which had been on my list.  Watched it over the weekend.  It was absolutely fantastic and a must watch for NCAA hoops fans.  Really makes you despise both the NCAA but also the FBI for wasting a shit load of taxpayer resources on this for essentially no reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am very worried about KU. Everyone says we’ll skate and we are already legally posturing to attack the NCAA but my thought is we’ll get hit at the most inopportune time. Right before the postseason 2022. We are loaded with talent. A legitimate contender. Our investigation is supposedly going to be wrapping up in the spring. If war with Kansas is imminent the NCAA will likely hand down our bans in March, giving us exactly zero time to get them in court to have them overturned before we lose a postseason. We might win overall and be able to keep bill self but we are absolutely going to take some damage along the way if the NCAA really wants to be vindictive, which I believe they will be. 

Not sure if I mentioned it here but much of the “hard” evidence about KU is kurtis Townsend texting adidas that we need to make a strong ass offer in regards to Zion. Which would make him ineligible. Grant Hill of duke fame is one of the judges against KU. If he rules that we are guilty then isn’t he ruling that duke is guilty? Why is the competition for our recruits judging our outcome. 

Nothing smells right to me on this deal and I can see Self battling for his career and I can see KU getting multiple postseason bans. At the end of the day, we are the lowest hanging fruit of the blue bloods. If you’re going to say “see, we punish blue bloods too” you’re going to punish Kansas. 

Lol, that you seem to think they care about the perception of not punishing blue bloods. UNC faked grades. Like the most illegal shit of all time. Nothing. Plus, KU and Self didn't cooperate in the investigation, and we just learned that not cooperating is the right choice. They already took their ire out on a program nobody outside of our fanbase cares about, there will be literally nothing done to KU. I doubt they are even investigating anymore.

Edited by 'stache

More should definitely be made in the media about Okla St's sanctions. The lack of similar sanctions for South Carolina alone for the EXACT same violation by the EXACT same offender is absolute and total bullshit. How can the NCAA defend the difference in sanctions between the 2 schools? I don't think there's ever been a better test case than the South Carolina/Okla St judgments  for an example of the NCAA's inequitable administration of sanctions from school to school. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Lol, that you seem to think they care about the perception of not punishing blue bloods. UNC faked grades. Like the most illegal shit of all time. Nothing. Plus, KU and Self didn't cooperate in the investigation, and we just learned that not cooperating is the right choice. They already took their ire out on a program nobody outside of our fanbase cares about, there will be literally nothing done to KU. I doubt they are even investigating anymore.

You do realize that we are in the arguments process of the IARP investigation right? And you can literally see a timeline of events on the IARP website. The investigation has concluded. We are arguing against its findings. We have 5 level 1 violations levied against us. The most of any school, including Louisville. If we get out of this unscathed then the NCAA administrative leadership (not the schools) should just all disband and quit their jobs as they will have so grossly missed the mark on allegations against KU they would have to question their belief in god. 

On 11/8/2021 at 2:35 PM, Jhawk said:

You do realize that we are in the arguments process of the IARP investigation right? And you can literally see a timeline of events on the IARP website. The investigation has concluded. We are arguing against its findings. We have 5 level 1 violations levied against us. The most of any school, including Louisville. If we get out of this unscathed then the NCAA administrative leadership (not the schools) should just all disband and quit their jobs as they will have so grossly missed the mark on allegations against KU they would have to question their belief in god. 

I think the NCAA wanted to drop the hammer on KU, I think they underestimated how seriously KU would defend itself, and there is absolutely no way they want to be drug into court to defend heavy sanctions (and the resulting financial damages) and have that contrasted with the FBI findings. Their best case is upholding a relative slap on the wrist and the worst case is they’re done as an organization. We’re posturing as if really going after the NCAA is on the table, and it probably is…the NCAA dying would be great for basketball schools. If the power conferences owned the tournament, we’d have a B1G invite by lunch.

Fuck the NCAA.

Terrence Shannon serves a sentence usually reserved for a triple homicide by the blue blood school players.( He missed 3 cupcake games.)

OBTW, there was nothing wrong with how he handled the draft and subsequent return to the program.  Gotta be safe however, because of that driving focus on accountability by the NCfuckingAA.

Fuck the NCAA.

How can TCU possibly be that bad?  There is no reason they shouldn't be a tourney team at least half the time.  By my look, in what will be the 10th year of being in the big12 TCU has gone to the tourney exactly 1 time and doesn't look to be going this year.  They should be able to recruit 3* guys in their own backyard and get the job done.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

How can TCU possibly be that bad?  There is no reason they shouldn't be a tourney team at least half the time.  By my look, in what will be the 10th year of being in the big12 TCU has gone to the tourney exactly 1 time and doesn't look to be going this year.  They should be able to recruit 3* guys in their own backyard and get the job done.

Former Pitt coach Jamie Dixon enjoys fresh start at TCU | Pittsburgh  Post-Gazette

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I don't think they really give a fuck, at least not relative to what they put into football and baseball.

It wasn't so long ago that most Texas schools had this attitude towards men's hoops. Now it's just them and aggy.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Small, uninterested private school fan base. So so at best facilities.  Several large or very successful in state and regional programs that get every high three star or higher out of the Metro.  Marginal coaching hires.   

The Big 12 is very strong and besides KU's usual grip on the trophy, very competitive.  They're running the Indy 500 in a factory Corvette.  It's a fast car, but not in that race.  

Or at least that's the way I see it

It's holiday invitational tournament time!

Baylor is at the "Battle 4 Atlantis" in the Bahamas, other teams participating are Arizona State, Auburn, Connecticut, Loyola Chicago, Michigan State, Syracuse and VCU. 

Bears (4-0) will face the Sun Devils (2-2) in the 1st round tonight with a 7:30 EST tipoff on ESPN2. 

EDIT: At the half, Bears lead 45-31 after trailing the first 7 or so minutes. Defense was lacking and shots were coming too early in the shot clock, Drew took a TO and play improved. 

Edited by El Diablo