2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

2 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

I didn’t turn it on until 2 minutes left in regulation. Had no idea. Shannon is my favorite (I call him my cousin because that’s my moms maiden name).

giphy.gif

35 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

If we had faceguarded Agbaji the whole game we probably win that game by double digits. Once we stuck someone in his face he was mostly ineffective other than hitting that game-tying shot.

Lots to learn from in that game, fun to watch!

Biggest lesson- when you're up by 3, foul their ass.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

so proud of KJ's contributions tonight. Austin's own! 

KU may have found their answer to their inside softness with that kid…he’s way better than those two stiffs they have been playing. Tech’s inside size and skill just made Self go to KJ and he was the spark they needed.

Kansas would be the best team in the country if they could get McCormack playing like last year. Right now they have nothing inside unless somebody like Adams emerges. 

Kansas is finding ways to win in miracle fashion but they’re about 3 plays away from being 3-4 in the Big 12 vs 6-1. I expect this to eventually balance out and Kansas to start taking some Ls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kansas would be the best team in the country if they could get McCormack playing like last year. Right now they have nothing inside unless somebody like Adams emerges. 

Kansas is finding ways to win in miracle fashion but they’re about 3 plays away from being 3-4 in the Big 12 vs 6-1. I expect this to eventually balance out and Kansas to start taking some Ls. 

But that’s honestly basketball every year by the great teams and the reason football fans watching basketball give me a headache. They come into the season like it’s football and if we lose one game we suck and if we don’t win by 40 we suck. Basketball is a game of runs and usually separated by only a few possessions here and there. Even a 7-10 point win is only 3-4 possessions going differently you would lose. KU is KU for a reason and they find ways to win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think the law of averages will catch up with Kansas. 

They’re winning close games with a lot of luck in play and that roster has clear issues in the front court. If you keep playing a bunch of really close games with crazy finishes you’re eventually going to lose a few of them.

Kansas deserves credit for finding ways to win but the point still remains. They won’t keep stacking wins if they keep playing in games like this. 

Edited by texasstrong12

14 hours ago, JWinTX said:

I think every fanbase complains about whistles going against them. KU is spoiled because of the advantage the Phog gives them, but Ames, Morgantown, Lubbock, and places like Stillwater and Manhattan when their teams are good, all provide great home courts, too. I suspect that complaining about refs' calls is the fan's coping mechanism for getting beat.  I know that Baylor fans complain about refs calls a lot on Baylorfans just as we do here on surly. Hell, Baylor fans complain about law enforcement getting involved in actual rapes and murders...

Everyone gets some home calls when they're good, but it's on a different level at the Phog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblPO0qijJA&t=78s

Having that KU win in our pocket right now would be absolutely massive.  I think we're teetering on the edge of a relative collapse (I think our guys are just fucking exhausted from this style of play) and we'd only need 4 more conference wins if we had that one.

After dropping that TCU game, I think it will be really tough for ISU to grind out 5-6 more wins unless they can find a way to keep this team more fresh.  It was really obvious on Saturday that there was a lot of fatigue-induced sloppiness and guys just straight up missing easy shots that they were making a month ago.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

8-10 will get Iowa State in. I would be interested to see Iowa State go 7-11 and see what happens. 

Based on your non-conference, the strength of the Big 12, and how weak the bubble is going to be I think there’s a shot. 

I don’t think a 7-11 Big 12 team has ever made it but this is the year for it to happen. 

57 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I have no issue with this at all either. The Big 12 should be rewarded for being a gauntlet. 

If A&M softball can make the NCAA tournament at 8-16 in the SEC there’s no reason a team like Iowa State shouldn’t get in at 7-11 in the Big 12 for basketball.  

With Ok State not being eligible, I def think someone like ISU (if they go 7-11) would benefit from that and make the tournament. 

9 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Problem is the NBA talk has gotten to Shannon’s head. Kid has game, but he thinks he is better than he is at this point. Once he gets situated and get his head out of his ass, this team could easily make a run in the tourney. 

He needs to take notes from Agbaji and work on his game another year before thinking about going to the league. He could fuck around and become a player of the year candidate next year.  What happened to that wing who had the spin move clutch dunk in the waning seconds in yalls win vs KU in Lubbock. Tech has so many rangy and athletic wings it's hard to keep up with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

8-10 will get Iowa State in. I would be interested to see Iowa State go 7-11 and see what happens. 

Based on your non-conference, the strength of the Big 12, and how weak the bubble is going to be I think there’s a shot. 

I don’t think a 7-11 Big 12 team has ever made it but this is the year for it to happen. 

Pretty sure OU went 7-11 the year after Trae Young and they made it in.  

28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He needs to take notes from Agbaji and work on his game another year before thinking about going to the league. He could fuck around and become a player of the year candidate next year.  What happened to that wing who had the spin move clutch dunk in the waning seconds in yalls win vs KU in Lubbock. Tech has so many rangy and athletic wings it's hard to keep up with them. 

He was not playing good defense so he got pulled. 

We go so deep that Adams will generally just leave in whoever is playing the best at the end.

10 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Problem is the NBA talk has gotten to Shannon’s head. Kid has game, but he thinks he is better than he is at this point. Once he gets situated and get his head out of his ass, this team could easily make a run in the tourney. 

Seems like the same as Ramsey last year.  Based off of his play (and not potential) I didn't see how he thought he could make it in the NBA.  But I guess just getting drafted and earning a D league check might play into some of these decisions versus staying in school.

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

With Ok State not being eligible, I def think someone like ISU (if they go 7-11) would benefit from that and make the tournament. 

The bubble is going to be bad. 

The PAC 12 is awful, this is the worst the ACC has been in like 15 years, and the Big 10 is down this year based on previous seasons.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

The bubble is going to be bad. 

The PAC 12 is awful, this is the worst the ACC has been in like 15 years, and the Big 10 is down this year based on previous seasons.

Yup, remains to be seen how good Arizona actually is, too. They haven't really played anyone, their best win is over a 9-7 Michigan team. The only team they've played on their schedule so far that's ranked was Tennessee and that was a loss.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yup, remains to be seen how good Arizona actually is, too. They haven't really played anyone, their best win is over a 9-7 Michigan team. The only team they've played on their schedule so far that's ranked was Tennessee and that was a loss.

A team like Oregon is going to be the 4th best team in the Pac 12 simply because the conference is complete shit. 

It's why records are kind of worthless. No shot in hell I'm taking Oregon at 11-7 or 12-6 in the Pac 12 over Iowa State at 7-11 in the Big 12 based on their non-conference resumes/strength of the Big 12. 

Oops, you're right. I misread your original post and thought you were referring to the Trae Young year which was '17-18. But you were referring to the "year after Trae Young". 

So yeah, I guess there is precedent for a 7-11 Big 12 team making the NCAA tournament. They also lost the opener in the Big 12 tournament in '18-19 it looks like. So yeah, I would definitely bet on Iowa State getting in at 7-11. 

I think we're in with 7 conference wins.

I'm not very confident we can get 5 more conference wins unless these guys get their legs back, which I just don't see how you do it unless you really dial back practice and keep them fresh as hell for the games.

Not losing to Mizzou on Saturday would help a lot.  Keeps that non-con record perfect.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I mean, seriously, when you have one of the biggest home court advantages, this is what happens. Ask ACC fans who play at Duke. Same as playing UK at Rupp or Syracuse at the Carrier Dome when its packed.

I just think that complaining about refs is just a bad look. I mean we have heard forever how games called at DKR (or anywhere else for that matter) are all skewed towards Texas getting the big calls. Everyone has proof of missed calls and cry about them. To me, if it becomes egregious, I couldn't imagine being in a conference that would allow that to happen over and over. I'd leave in a heartbeat or make the commissioner know this is so blatant that it gets fixed or we, the college, does something about it. But that's the rub---we all like the money and prestige of getting a game against whatever blueblood it is that "gets all the calls". I've heard it so much over the years regarding the Horns that it just rubs me the wrong way.  

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Has this one been posted yet? I'll never forget this one. 

I posted it up thread, just not embedded.

I'll never forget where I was when that happened.  Drinking beer in a dorm room in Larch Hall at ISU - it was a cold Saturday.  It was my freshman year.  If we had gotten that win (we lost by 1 in OT) we probably go to the Dance.  Ended up in the NIT Final Four.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I posted it up thread, just not embedded.

I'll never forget where I was when that happened.  Drinking beer in a dorm room in Larch Hall at ISU - it was a cold Saturday.  It was my freshman year.  If we had gotten that win (we lost by 1 in OT) we probably go to the Dance.  Ended up in the NIT Final Four.

My uncle is an Iowa State fan and he brings up that game whenever I talk to him. Apparently, there were all types of crazy calls for Kansas in that game. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

My uncle is an Iowa State fan and he brings up that game whenever I talk to him. Apparently, there were all types of crazy calls for Kansas in that game. 

Probably.  It was 18 years ago (holy shit that hurt to type) and I was 18 and hammered while watching it.  I probably though everything was a bad call.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The only call I've seen that's worse than the Phantom 3 was the time OK State got upset by a MAC school because they were allowed to run a Hail Mary even though the game was clearly over and somehow that couldn't be reviewed.

Or 2011 when Quinn Sharp's field goal was good. JK (kinda).

And before anyone says it, yes I know, 2015...

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don’t understand the reasoning at all for counting the 3. 

Just call the play dead and go back to the 2nd FT. You can clearly see the Iowa State players confused and they don’t even get back on defense. 

KU.  Phog.  Big 12.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Or 2011 when Quinn Sharp's field goal was good. JK (kinda).

And before anyone says it, yes I know, 2015...

That 2015 game was absolutely brutal, but I think it's funny how that 1 game that really didn't matter much in the end was used by this board as a way to whitewash decades of biased officiating.

But that's fandom and human nature in a nutshell.  There isn't a fanbase in America that will just readily admit when shit calls go their way, and there isn't a fanbase in America that won't whine when they get bad calls.  So if no one thinks they get a break and everyone thinks they got screwed, then that's all they'll ever acknowledge.