2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

27 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

2023 5 star Elijah Fisher is reclassifying and will be going to Tech this upcoming season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this on the crawl. That title game run still paying dividends. 

Shannon is from Chi-town so that made sense. The Mayer thing still seems weird, as he was a major piece for Rapelor.

Just go 2-0 against Michigan...

Seems like Adams and Beard are perfect coaches for this era of quick turnover and NIL deals. Both grind down or run off players with their hard-nosed, defense-first philosophy, but both seem equally adept at cherrypicking the portal and recruiting to fill holes as needed. (phrasing!)

Also, fuck Baylor and Kansas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Think they're already after Ramey after they missed on Tyrese Hunter. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Heard that Kansas may go after Ramey hard if Jalen Wilson doesn't return. Might be interesting?

Wilson just withdrew he’s coming back. Don’t wanna see Ramey at WV. UH makes some sense 

Edited by Js1

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It'll be intense when Hunter comes back to Hilton.

I’m sure it will, but Hilton has a long ways to go to match Lubbock when they host. 

I think it also would have been even more intense if he’d gone with KU. but yeah. It won’t be a warm welcome against the Cyclones. 

How do you feel about him transferring?

38 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It'll be intense when Hunter comes back to Hilton.

19 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

TJ Otzelberger seems like a pretty good coach. It'll be interesting to see how he convinces star players to stay in Ames. Granted, I'm sure the base and local community can put together some NIL deals for men's basketball. There isn't much competition for money there, I'd imagine; but the pot probably isn't very large. A track record of sustained success and players making various pro leagues seems like a necessary requirement for retention.

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m sure it will, but Hilton has a long ways to go to match Lubbock when they host. 

I think it also would have been even more intense if he’d gone with KU. but yeah. It won’t be a warm welcome against the Cyclones. 

It would have been straight up ugly if he had gone to KU.

I had no issue with him transferring for NIL $.  He grew up with absolutely nothing and is in no way guaranteed to be an NBA guy.  This could be his peak earnings-wise and he's gotta get that bag.

I don't like him going to a team that we play.  I would have taken it personally if he had gone to KU.  ISU fans hate KU as much as Iowa.  Our hatred of Kansas is based on 100 years of history.  We had nothing against Texas before July of 2021, so him going to UT doesn't seem that bad.  Most ISU fans feel the same way.  We're glad he gave us the season he did, hope he does well enough to keep playing professionally, but want him/UT to get absolutely run out of Hilton on a rail in that game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

TJ Otzelberger seems like a pretty good coach. It'll be interesting to see how he convinces star players to stay in Ames. Granted, I'm sure the base and local community can put together some NIL deals for men's basketball. There isn't much competition for money there, I'd imagine; but the pot probably isn't very large. A track record of sustained success and players making various pro leagues seems like a necessary requirement for retention.

From my understanding, ISU's collective will be focused on keeping guys who are already here, vs bringing in recruits.

He might not convince star players to stay in Ames very long, but there's only going to be a handful of poacher programs, in general.  If he finds one really good player in each class, he'll probably get one season out of them before they get bought off.  He'll patch in with guys who don't have as much NIL potential (it won't be unlimited money out there) that are looking for more exposure and better competition.  It will make for a team that can compete for conference tournament titles, multi-weekend runs in the dance, and home upsets of the elite squads.  That will be enough for ISU fans.

Otz seems pretty wise to how this new world will work, and able to adapt to it.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

From my understanding, ISU's collective will be focused on keeping guys who are already here, vs bringing in recruits.

He might not convince star players to stay in Ames very long, but there's only going to be a handful of poacher programs, in general.  If he finds one really good player in each class, he'll probably get one season out of them before they get bought off.  He'll patch in with guys who don't have as much NIL potential (it won't be unlimited money out there) that are looking for more exposure and better competition.  It will make for a team that can compete for conference tournament titles, multi-weekend runs in the dance, and home upsets of the elite squads.  That will be enough for ISU fans.

Otz seems pretty wise to how this new world will work, and able to adapt to it.

Is there any indication he'd leave for a bigger job/where would he go? He's not going to go to his alma mater, since it's such a small program. He's from Milwaukee, so I don't know if schools near there have any pull. He's been in some role at Iowa State for the majority of his career. Pending he's consistently successful, is Otz a guy who will stay there 20+ years?

Edit: Just saw his wife is a former standout at ISU too.

Edited by MuellerHorn

20 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Is there any indication he'd leave for a bigger job/where would he go? He's not going to go to his alma mater, since it's such a small program. He's from Milwaukee, so I don't know if schools near there have any pull. He's been in some role at Iowa State for the majority of his career. Pending he's consistently successful, is Otz a guy who will stay there 20+ years?

Edit: Just saw his wife is a former standout at ISU too.

That's what all connected people believe and what Otz has said many times, but the universe fucks ISU in the ass at every turn, so he'll probably leave to coach Iowa after we get booted from college sports or some shit.

His wife is originally from Australia, but came to central Iowa as a foreign exchange student in high school, and is an ISU legend in her own right.  She's been on record many times talking about how she felt like Ames/ISU has become her second home, took her in, etc.  It seems genuine.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's what all connected people believe and what Otz has said many times, but the universe fucks ISU in the ass at every turn, so he'll probably leave to coach Iowa after we get booted from college sports or some shit.

His wife is originally from Australia, but came to central Iowa as a foreign exchange student in high school, and is an ISU legend in her own right.  She's been on record many times talking about how she felt like Ames/ISU has become her second home, took her in, etc.  It seems genuine.

I appreciate you responding to my questions. Hilton is always rocking when ISU is competitive. I'll certainly miss it when Texas moves to the SEC.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

I appreciate you responding to my questions. Hilton is always rocking when ISU is competitive. I'll certainly miss it when Texas moves to the SEC.

They’re also pivotal in making the conference tournament a bigger event. Hilton South indeed. Reminds me of the Arkansas fans with the SWC Conference tournaments in Dallas. 

48 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I’d rather keep a non conf with ISU than Tech when we leave.  They are a good time 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’d rather keep a non conf with ISU than Tech when we leave.  They are a good time 

Appreciate the sentiment, but it doesn't make a ton of sense for either of us.  I'd rather we keep our non-con schedule driveable.  Hopefully with Cincy in the Big 12, we'll stop scheduling trips to Ohio MAC schools so that Campbell can play games close to those recruits.  I'd love to see Nebraska (love to hate them), Minnesota (they killed Jack Trice and we would invade their empty stadium), or Wisconsin (world's biggest kegger) in the non-con.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Imagine being so ass blasted about getting swept

I joke I joke, our fans are crazy

ISU fans are great, always have a good time when I meet them

They’re a good time, enjoy the fan base and would nice to give them a big name OOC opponent that’s not Iowa 

Just now, Js1 said:

They’re a good time, enjoy the fan base and would nice to give them a big name OOC opponent that’s not Iowa 

True enough, we need more regular OOC rivals around, the one of Big 12/<insert conference> challenge games are kinda cool but they don't really cut it

LOL, I just realized that he meant a basketball OOC.  I just figured he meant football, since there's such infrequent non-conference power conference match ups that aren't either some pre-existing rivalry, or part of some conference vs. conference deal.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

LOL, I just realized that he meant a basketball OOC.  I just figured he meant football, since there's such infrequent non-conference power conference match ups that aren't either some pre-existing rivalry, or part of some conference vs. conference deal.

Basketball board. Basketball OOC game(s)

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

Basketball board. Basketball OOC game(s)

It would be fun if the Big 12/SEC thing continues, but I sort of doubt it does.

And I'm sure ESPN would insist on sending you guys to Lubbock because, let's face it, that just makes for better TV.  And that's what ALL of this is about.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...