2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

1 hour ago, harpercollins said:

He’s such a douche. He did a really good job building the team. A couple of unfortunate injuries to key players kept them from reaching their potential. No need to point out the failings of other programs. Let someone else do that for you if it’s going to happen at all. 

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He’s such a douche. He did a really good job building the team. A couple of unfortunate injuries to key players kept them from reaching their potential. No need to point out the failings of other programs. Let someone else do that for you if it’s going to happen at all. 

He’s the perfect representative of Baptists in Texas.  

He’s such a douche. No need to point out the failings of other programs. Let someone else do that for you if it’s going to happen at all. 

You really see this as calling out the failings of other programs? He lists the last fifteen with no exceptions. He’s comforting his players and his fans, putting it in perspective for people (like me) who didn’t have any idea how rare it is for reigning champs to do much the next season. Sorry, I thought it was an interesting basketball statistic.

We really didn’t have a shot without LJ and JTT.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, harpercollins said:

You really see this as calling out the failings of other programs? He lists the last fifteen with no exceptions. He’s comforting his players and his fans, putting it in perspective for people (like me) who didn’t have any idea how rare it is for reigning champs to do much the next season. Sorry, I thought it was an interesting basketball statistic.

We really didn’t have a shot without LJ and JTT.

It’s excuse making. Leave that to someone else. But that’s what he does. Look, he’s your coach, and you love him. In many ways it’s a remarkable story of what he’s done with the Baylor basketball program. I have been impressed with what he did to put another amazing team on the floor after the national championship team was decimated with departures.

But I don’t like the guy. I’ve never liked the guy. Part of his modus operandi is to put down others to build himself up. He’s famous for his negative recruiting. He’s constantly making excuses in his media appearances. He and Jerome Tang were dirty recruiters the moment they hit the Baylor campus. And yet he presents this sanctimonious Christian image. 

I don’t have a problem with you as a poster on here. I like you being here, and I’m glad you participate. I don’t really have much of a beef with Baylor outside of the rape culture that’s been whitewashed, although that’s plenty in and of itself. You guys have made some really good hires in Rhule, Aranda, Drew and Mulkey. I’m not trying to convince you to detest your own coach. But personally I hate that shit when any coach, including one at Texas, starts talking about other team’s shortcomings as a defense of their performance. It just doesn’t sit well with me. You see it as comforting the fans base. So be it.

Personally, I don’t see why the fan base needs comforting. Every loss in the tournament sucks. It’s just how it is. But it’s sure a lot easier to swallow when you just won a national championship the previous year, and if not for a couple of critical injuries, had a decent shot to repeat, PLUS you just made a ferocious 25 point comeback to send the game into overtime WITH Bonner playing over 30 minutes.

To me it’s so clearly excuse making. Which is exactly what Scott Drew does. Constantly. Overjoyed to see him lose, frankly.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/19/2022 at 5:45 AM, Welshy said:

So with the Big 12 sitting at 6-0, how did the other conferences in the NCAA Tournament fair in the First Round?

Here’s the record for each league.

Big 12: 6-0
ACC: 4-1
Big Ten: 5-2
Pac-12: 2-1
Big East: 3-3
SEC: 3-3
American: 2-0
A-10: 1-1
West Coast: 2-1
Mountain West: 0-3

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/03/18/big-12-conference-finishes-perfect-6-0-in-first-round-ncaa-tournament-games/

Seeing that one loss next to ACC leaves me super gruntled (and proud).

50 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well then there's the cat killing and oh yeah, murder

Mulkey was often a real treat as a human being as well. 

Still, I’ve always been of the mindset I wanted out of the same conference as all these teams in Texas. Just get us out of here. 

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Mulkey was often a real treat as a human being as well. 

Still, I’ve always been of the mindset I wanted out of the same conference as all these teams in Texas. Just get us out of here. 

c867744b-d815-4be3-892f-dc67db9e7fc8_tex

Just now, harpercollins said:

Ah gotcha. Figured there was a reason to start it there.

Happy for coach tang. We’re gonna miss him. I think he’s our only hard-ass.

I don't really have a problem with the tweet although I thought the cutoff was funny. 

It's still really fucking rare. The last repeat before Florida was Duke in the early 90s.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't really have a problem with the tweet although I thought the cutoff was funny. 

It's still really fucking rare. The last repeat before Florida was Duke in the early 90s.

its funny because no one really expected Baylor to repeat but no one expected them to get bounced in the 2nd round.  its like he's trying to say they were so close, the Elite Eight or Final Four, and just missed.  He really didn't need to do anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He's not a gotdam PG.  He had that opportunity all season at Tech when he was healthy.  He was never a threat offensively.

He's a shut-down defender and an off- shooting guard. He's somewhere between a 2 and 3, with great defense.  He's not a scorer or great passer.

Edited by slorch

43 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Read where Adams’ offensive coordinator is leaving after only one year. If Adams is updating his offensive to make it more appealing to recruits, Beard should consider doing the same.

Rumor is he's looking at hiring Steve Green, who has been the head coach at South Plains for 20+ years and won multiple JC national titles there.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Man that’s a risk. JUCO to D1 in a P5 league as an assistant. 

Oh shit, he looks 80

FWIW, I know that Beard had the talk with him about taking an assistant job at least once. He ultimately turned the job down and I believe that was the year he won his last NJCAA title. I guess maybe he's ready to take on a new challenge now. I don't disagree with you about it being a risk, though, we'll see how it pans out (if he gets/takes the job anyway).

He's not a PG.  Rumor was that not getting reps at PG this season had something to do with it.

Would have been a Tech legend for his grit and leadership. He figured out how to tear all that down. Ain't gonna be many folks with George Springer-like affinity for McCullar when he walks into United Spirit Arena. 

Respect that it's his choice.  Decisions have consequences.  I won't root against him, but he's now on I team i already rooted against. When he faces Tech, you bet I deeply hope we beat their ass.  That feeling existed before the 22-23 season.

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

He's not a PG.  Rumor was that not getting reps at PG this season had something to do with it.

Would have been a Tech legend for his grit and leadership. He figured out how to tear all that down. Ain't gonna be many folks with George Springer-like affinity for McCullar when he walks into United Spirit Arena. 

Respect that it's his choice.  Decisions have consequences.  I won't root against him, but he's now on I team i already rooted against. When he faces Tech, you bet I deeply hope we beat their ass.  That feeling existed before the 22-23 season.

Well, he won’t be a PG at KU, either. He’ll likely fill Christian Braun’s role as much as anything. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I think it’s a good fit. What’s your thought on it, Brian Fontana? 

Probably! I still love the kid and won't begrudge him if he thinks Self will improve his draft prospects. Word on the street was basically what slorch said, he wasn't getting enough reps at the point. He basically lost that role as the year progressed to Adonis Arms and I guess he wasn't happy about that. I'm not sure what will happen for him at KU, I think he's more of a Braun type like you said.

e: I think his biggest question is can he stay healthy. He was never healthy a full season at Tech.

Edited by Brian Fantana

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

So Matthew Mayer is withdrawing his name from the NBA draft and entered his name in the portal.

That's really interesting. Baylor is bringing in two wings transfers (6'6 & 6'7) and George will get big minutes as a wing (non-pg in their offense next year). Couple that with who else they're bringing back, and I guess Mayer thinks he'll get more minutes elsewhere. He's probably correct.