2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

5 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Bears come away with a clutch win tonight for drew’s 400th win. Kendall brown and James akinjo are fun to watch.

They are. Akinjo was more of a scorer before arriving in Waco (stops in Georgetown and Arizona) but that was his role then. He can still light it up but the Bears spread the ball, find-the-best-shot offense has really highlighted his passing. 

Brown took a hard fall on what could have been a flagrant last night. I hope he's okay, he's a true freshman so a bit new to rough and tumble big boy play and it's going to be a long season.

Sure wish we had Love healthy/available. The depth he could have provided is going to be missed at times during the year and particularly late in the season when bodies are beat up. I think back to Tristan Clark and how much the hopes and dreams were on his health and then *poof*, gone forever. I know Freddie Gillespie stepped in, out of nowhere it seemed, and we were pretty, pretty good but I'd just rather not go thru that anxiety of finding out what's on the bench again. 

Good road win, I'm sure the guys learned from the experience and they're going to need it. A couple more tune-up games in Waco this month and then it's off to Ames on Jan. 1st to face the Cyclones of Hilton. Barring a catastrophe we'll go in there rated #1 and primed for our first loss of the year. 

Brown took a hard fall on what could have been a flagrant last night. I hope he's okay, he's a true freshman so a bit new to rough and tumble big boy play and it's going to be a long season.

I thought that looked pretty inadvertent. I mean yes it was a hard fall, but it didn’t look like he undercut him on purpose to me.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:02 AM, El Diablo said:

They are. Akinjo was more of a scorer before arriving in Waco (stops in Georgetown and Arizona) but that was his role then. He can still light it up but the Bears spread the ball, find-the-best-shot offense has really highlighted his passing. 

Sure wish we had Love healthy/available. The depth he could have provided is going to be missed at times during the year and particularly late in the season when bodies are beat up. I think back to Tristan Clark and how much the hopes and dreams were on his health and then *poof*, gone forever. I know Freddie Gillespie stepped in, out of nowhere it seemed, and we were pretty, pretty good but I'd just rather not go thru that anxiety of finding out what's on the bench again. 

Good road win, I'm sure the guys learned from the experience and they're going to need it. A couple more tune-up games in Waco this month and then it's off to Ames on Jan. 1st to face the Cyclones of Hilton. Barring a catastrophe we'll go in there rated #1 and primed for our first loss of the year. 

The clock is going to hit midnight on Cinderella one of these nights.  We play some pretty similar styles of ball, but I feel like Baylor could force us into a sub-40 point offensive performance.

Hilton's not going to be full tilt either, with students still being on Christmas Break.  It will be full, and loud, but not quite the same.

Holy shit, just saw that.  Saw y'all trending upwards for a few weeks but solidly in the Top 10 in all polls at 11-0.  Despite being picked dead last by the coaches in the league poll.  What the fuck?  I missed a lot of meetings apparently.  Oregon State, Xavier, Iowa, and Memphis.  These aren't nobodies.  Congrats.  Fuck me.  This league is gonna be rough this season and our offense is not where I thought it'd be be.  

It feels a bit like when Iowa got up to #2 in the football poll earlier this year.  You knew damn well they weren't THAT good, but they just kept winning games.

I think at this point, going around 500 in the league and making the Dance would be an absolute home run.  Having gotten to this point, missing the Dance would be a bit of a bummer, even though absolutely no one in our fanbase (let alone nationally) expected us to even be a bubble team.

50-31 BU at the half. Alcorn State has several players out tonight on top of being overmatched coming into the game. Baylor's been running a good bit of press defense without much success, Braves have scored several fast break points against it. Clearly something the Bears need to work on. 

10 hours ago, twosheds said:

McClure has improved with the play by play since the start of the season, but he is still hard to listen to.

He's highly unpolished and a bit too spontaneous perhaps. I kept waiting for something entirely inappropriate for a broadcast to pop out. 

On another note, I wonder if anyone has considered giving Sochan the nickname "The Pole Assassin". 

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Kansas and Okie Lite games both canceled.

TCU's been a little plucky this year. Just saw they aren't playing SMU - what gives? That would be a good game.

What were the reasons for cancellation?  Can't find a quick read.  athanks

12-0.  Second time in school history.  Guaranteed Top 10 matchup in Hilton on New Year's Day.

We aren't going to win, but if we did, we'd be Top 5.  A year after going 2-22.  It's like watching some fucking underdog movie in real life.  My wife refers to this team as "Hoosiers".

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

12-0.  Second time in school history.  Guaranteed Top 10 matchup in Hilton on New Year's Day.

We aren't going to win, but if we did, we'd be Top 5.  A year after going 2-22.  It's like watching some fucking underdog movie in real life.  My wife refers to this team as "Hoosiers".

Wassup? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm worried it's going to be a rude awakening for you - but I am of course cheering that it isn't. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm worried it's going to be a rude awakening for you - but I am of course cheering that it isn't. 

I had absolutely zero expectations coming into this season.  We had have to go 6-12 or worse in the league for me to be disappointed at this stage.

Based on who we've beaten, I don't see how we can't find 7-8 wins over the next two months.

And really, if we miss the Dance at this stage, it would be in line with what we all expected and only seem disappointing because this team went on such a tear in the non-conference.  If we didn't win another game this year (which seems wildly unlikely), we'd still have done things I didn't expect out of this team.

Big XII is 96-16 in noncon games. I think there's a real good chance that the conference beats itself up this year depending on team strength on any given night due to COVID player availability and just overall parity. Might make for an interesting picture come March tournament selection time. 

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Big XII is 96-16 in noncon games. I think there's a real good chance that the conference beats itself up this year depending on team strength on any given night due to COVID player availability and just overall parity. Might make for an interesting picture come March tournament selection time. 

It's gonna be a bloodbath

Fuck Baylor

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

We.

Why don't you go dig out your degree and find where it says "Texas Tech University" or whatever the fuck it says. Then come back to the keyboard and realize that you are posting on a University of Texas board (where both of my fantastic parents attended college) and addressing someone that went to SMU and started out in honors English and was honors business the entire way through. Then - I mean maybe give it a few days to sink in through your thick fucking skull - consider that maybe I used the correct word and your "correction" was erroneous and then - and only then - maybe go fuck yourself. 

18 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I'm not saying they're not really, really good.

Well. They are. And they were last year. Come join the hand holding circle and we'll sing kumbayah together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Why don't you go dig out your degree and find where it says "Texas Tech University" or whatever the fuck it says. Then come back to the keyboard and realize that you are posting on a University of Texas board (where both of my fantastic parents attended college) and addressing someone that went to SMU and started out in honors English and was honors business the entire way through. Then - I mean maybe give it a few days to sink in through your thick fucking skull - consider that maybe I used the correct word and your "correction" was erroneous and then - and only then - maybe go fuck yourself. 

Well. They are. And they were last year. Come join the hand holding circle and we'll sing kumbayah together. 

LOLz.

Fuck you and your case of the Mondays.

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

LOLz.

Fuck you and your case of the Mondays.

It's a Tuesday - and fuck you too for trying to correct me on something that didn't need correcting. 

You know I think you're alright. Just dial it back a notch. 

Capiche?

Edited by ztejas

Kansas, Okla St, & WVU are all pretty typical of what you'd expect from a major conference team. Few major conference teams will be in the top 50s for their Non-conf SOS. Shit, even though they're not in a major conference look at Gonzaga. They've played us, UCLA, Tech, Duke, and Bama yet have a non-conf SOS of 238. 

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Kansas, Okla St, & WVU are all pretty typical of what you'd expect from a major conference team. Few major conference teams will be in the top 50s for their Non-conf SOS. Shit, even though they're not in a major conference look at Gonzaga. They've played us, UCLA, Tech, Duke, and Bama yet have a non-conf SOS of 238. 

Yeah, I'd rather be in the 100s than the 300s. But that's just me.  NET seems to think highly of us so far, without even getting into conf. play. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1