Texas BBQ

Washpark

pappa charlies needs to get their web presence sorted out.  googmaps has them permanently closed, no location near fairfield, and no mention of a map location for the cypress location..:

https://www.foodyas.com/US/Cypress/1932282497023465/Cypress-Trail-Hideout%2C-home-of-Pappa-Charlies-Barbeque

fairfield is nowhere near cypress and the only location on their website is on Rusk in downtown H.

http://www.pappacharliesbbq.com/

On 3/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, Bone3421 said:

Make sure you get to snows early OP....been twice last month and a half and it is amazing

I have been to Snow's a few times.  The last time I went was maybe April 2017.  I took my oldest son as my other 2 were at a birthday party with my wife.

It was amazing (sausage, brisket, pork ribs) and got a free Lone Star from the dude there.  We showed up at 11:15am and the line was about 8 people, we started on that ramp there. The only thing they were out of was jalapeno sausage.

Maybe 2 weeks later Texas Monthly named them the best in the state (for a 2nd time).  I was actually pissed off because I knew what it would do for the lines.

Which brings me to my question -> how is the line at Snow's now?

God damn that looks amazing. Do they dunk that brisket after slicing?

No. At least not the times I have been.

Tried Bodacious in Longview this past Friday. Was very good brisket. But there are several I would put in front of them. Sausage was very good as well. Had there been a bigger group than just two of us, I would have sampled more.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:40 AM, PantsTent said:

I have the hard copy.  There's not much in there that hasn't been said in various places on this site, but it's nice to have it all in one place and it's a good read to go with a few good recipes.

The recipe for pinto beans is worth the price of the book.  If you haven't tried it yet, do so post haste.

You and your friends were insufferable. Nobody cares to hear what you think you know about BBQ, especially when it's outdated information on Lockhart family drama or the time you almost went to Franklin's but the line was too long. That's what the fuck I'm talking about, you fat nerd.

Now I am starting to like this schtick.

Alas, I don’t have any info on Lockhart families and never attempted to stand in line at Franklin. But keep going, it has potential to be funny.

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Man, I was in front of three stereotypical "shaggy" nerds. Mid-30's, nerdy as hell, goofy looking, dad-types. Thought they were bbq-connoisseurs, talked about bbq and hit all the known talking points and could have been a regurgitation of a shaggy bbq thread circa 2015. They even ordered Big Reds and looked around passively for their "atta boy" head nods for knowing the code. It was a shame and a sad pathetic display. In fact, it ruined the experience for me. 

This says more about me than them, I'm just now realizing as I type this. I need to repent and think long and hard about where my mind is at. 

Thanks, thread! #realtimerealizations

Maybe next time find some friends (or make some) so you can talk to them instead of just rage-eavesdropping on the other conversations in line. Getting your experience ruined because people didn't have cool enough BBQ takes for your higher level of consciousness leads me to think that you were the biggest asshole in the line.

3 hours ago, RD3 said:

I have been to Snow's a few times.  The last time I went was maybe April 2017.  I took my oldest son as my other 2 were at a birthday party with my wife.

It was amazing (sausage, brisket, pork ribs) and got a free Lone Star from the dude there.  We showed up at 11:15am and the line was about 8 people, we started on that ramp there. The only thing they were out of was jalapeno sausage.

Maybe 2 weeks later Texas Monthly named them the best in the state (for a 2nd time).  I was actually pissed off because I knew what it would do for the lines.

The line the 3 times i have been has been long....2 times i got there at 6am at was around the 10th person...one time got there at 9:30 and didnt get inside until 11:30ish

6 hours ago, RD3 said:

The line is about like the one at your momma's house.

3 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

You and your friends were insufferable. Nobody cares to hear what you think you know about BBQ, especially when it's outdated information on Lockhart family drama or the time you almost went to Franklin's but the line was too long. That's what the fuck I'm talking about, you fat nerd.

Maintain that attitude and maybe one of these days one of those old nerdy guys is gonna pop you in the kisser.

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

The line the 3 times i have been has been long....2 times i got there at 6am at was around the 10th person...one time got there at 9:30 and didnt get inside until 11:30ish

Sombitch. Fucking Texas Monthly.  The last 2 times I went to Snow's the line was very manageable.  I went 2 years ago and we showed up at 10:30am and had food by 11am. When I saw them name Snows #1 in the state, it was like a punch in the gut.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:25 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

last time I was at snow’s there was a solo patron in line in front of my group.  while we had 7am beers and talked with the people around he stood there with headphones on for two straight hours and didn’t say a word.  then, he ordered “one slice of brisket” and “just one rib” and “just that little piece of pork shoulder there” and “a small sliver of sausage” so he could taste everything.  then he got his bbq tour card punched and left without tipping.  

people like that should be shot in the face.  closed-casket funeral. 

For those interested, the recent Tales from the Pits episodes with Patrick Feges are outstanding, particularly if you're from Houston and you enjoy the local food scene.  He gets into a lot, from getting blown up in Iraq, to various stints around town, Wes, Killen, Shepherd, Knight, etc.  Worth the listen.  

Hit up Miller's in Belton for the first time in a long time. It's even more meh... than I remembered, not close to their former greatness. They were out of chicken, which is their best item on the menu now, so I got a half a rack of their cute little St. Louis cut ribs. They're pretty good, but not much smoke flavor and not a lot to bite on them. Slaw was mushy. Still better than most typical Texas barbecue joints. Markedly better than Rudy's. But I probably won't go back any time soon.

]millersribs418.jpg

millers418.jpg

• Like 1

Just hit up Victorians BBQ in the Heights.

Ribs werent ready but wow, the brisket and sausage were excellent. On par with Willows (which is only a block away). Def. recommend. Brick and mortar coming next January to East end

Pinkertons, Willows, Victorians all in the heights.... and Truth coming soon... goddamn

Edit: Owner just brought me out a free spare rib as I was finishing up. Spicey korean glaze... damn good. Wish tapa was working for me right now so I could upload the pics

i tried Oakwood BBQ in Austin for lunch today. it's a small place on Braker Lane with a nice outdoor seating area.

the moist brisket was very good although some fat was not rendered enough.

the sausage was OK, the beans had a sweet taste that i can do without.

i will be back to try the rest of the menu.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone been to Davis Grocery and Bar-B-Q in Taylor?  Chet Garner covered it in his Daytripper episode on Taylor.

I have a 1:00 meeting in Taylor and am thinking about trying something other the Louis Mueller this time.

Certainly not Louis Mueller, but wasn't bad.  Three meat plate with brisket, pork ribs, pork steak, stewed cabbage, and green beans - $15.  No line, no waiting.  More soul food than traditional barbeque, but no barbeque snobs.

Left enough time to stop and grab a beer from the Texas Beer Co. before my meeting.

On 4/17/2018 at 5:50 PM, DougO said:

Anybody here been at this joint in Pflugerville? First I've heard of it.

https://twitter.com/pftxbbq

I love Brotherton's.  Just had lunch there today.  The brisket is consistently great, sausage is very good.  Ribs have been hit or miss for me.  Sometimes they are like meat candy, other times they run a little dry.

They do a ton of sammiches that are incredible as well. The brisket grilled cheese is a standout.

2 hours ago, The Chrisser said:

I love Brotherton's.  Just had lunch there today.  The brisket is consistently great, sausage is very good.  Ribs have been hit or miss for me.  Sometimes they are like meat candy, other times they run a little dry.

They do a ton of sammiches that are incredible as well. The brisket grilled cheese is a standout.

Word up, Brotherton's is really good.

Brisket banh mi too, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

hutchins mckinney update

cat. bag. out of.

sunday morning, 11am, line 30 deep, but drive through moving rapidly, had a pound of fatty, pound of lean, and 2 pounds of turkey (their turkey is spec-tac-ular).

only problem?  brisket is now $20/pound, bird $15/pound.

and why not?  spring creek and dickey's over on 75 are EMPTY at 1130 when i drive by.

Tried Pinkerton. Basically no line not long after opening. Brisket had too much untrimmed fat and not well rendered. It was just a small ways away from being roast. Almost no smoke to it. Side were meh.

If I was going to eat right there again it would be across the street at Teotihuacan. Haven't been there in a year or so but judging from the full parking, and the huge amount of greasy smoke coming out of the roof vent, they still have it.

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

hutchins mckinney update

cat. bag. out of.

sunday morning, 11am, line 30 deep, but drive through moving rapidly, had a pound of fatty, pound of lean, and 2 pounds of turkey (their turkey is spec-tac-ular).

only problem?  brisket is now $20/pound, bird $15/pound.

and why not?  spring creek and dickey's over on 75 are EMPTY at 1130 when i drive by.

Hutchins has a drive through? Why?

8 hours ago, Robin Masters said:

Tried Pinkerton. Basically no line not long after opening. Brisket had too much untrimmed fat and not well rendered. It was just a small ways away from being roast. Almost no smoke to it. Side were meh.

If I was going to eat right there again it would be across the street at Teotihuacan. Haven't been there in a year or so but judging from the full parking, and the huge amount of greasy smoke coming out of the roof vent, they still have it.

Weird. Pinkerton’s has always been very good to great for me and I have been probably 10 times.  I would chalk it up to an off day. 

Yes, Teo still has the goods. 

I've been to Pinkerton's probably five times and one of those was definitely an off day. Sucks because I had convinced a buddy to go with me who had never been so his only experience was meh.

We've had the same thing happen at Pit Room too, but still love that place.

12 hours ago, Robin Masters said:

If your visit to Pinkerton's was this weekend then I'll encourage you to go back and try it again. Grant was in Tyler all weekend at the Red Dirt BBQ Fest. Its possible that things slipped a bit with him not being around to ride herd.  Give him another shot because his product is usually very good.

• Like 3