Texas BBQ

Washpark

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Yes. Line moves relatively fast. Was good, not as good as brenham.

Good news on the line. Bad news on the food. I'm not going to start WWIII here with the Pinkerton's people, but your ranking is sufficient to help me rank the Houston BBQ joints. 

In other news, my last two take out orders from Brooks Street on Montrose have been subpar. I don't think I'll eat there again. 

The brisket at Feges in Greenway was awesome last week. Their sauce is bizarre and awful. I think they make the sauces so bad that people will try their BBQ without the sauce. Feges brisket just needs a little salt and pepper and blow your hair back. Their chicken is amazing too. I suggest ordering a whole bird. 

Good news on the line. Bad news on the food. I'm not going to start WWIII here with the Pinkerton's people, but your ranking is sufficient to help me rank the Houston BBQ joints. 
In other news, my last two take out orders from Brooks Street on Montrose have been subpar. I don't think I'll eat there again. 
The brisket at Feges in Greenway was awesome last week. Their sauce is bizarre and awful. I think they make the sauces so bad that people will try their BBQ without the sauce. Feges brisket just needs a little salt and pepper and blow your hair back. Their chicken is amazing too. I suggest ordering a whole bird. 

Go try Willow’s.

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am not sure what that means.

I think he has mental problems or he's just trying contrive some bullshit controversy.  I think Pinkerton's is great, but there are other great places too, including Buck's and Feges.  Haven't been to Truth in Houston yet, but it's on my list.

Never been but looked them up online, looks like he has had lots of mechanical breakdowns on his truck. Hate seeing any owner/operator struggle.

Hard to get a good following when their hours are hit-n-miss. 

His food pics looked great!

Hearing that Willow might have had some mechanical problems with his truck. Any comment ChampKind? 

That’s accurate. He published that on SM. Not the only factor tho.

I really feel for him. Great guy, really good bbq. Its tough to see someone who pours so much of themself into have such difficulty

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

He had a strong following. But the inner loop bbq market is pretty cluttered now and, despite the press and wide critical acclaim, its a tough business climate.

I was wondering about this.  With you being in the biz — are the major cities just too saturated now?  Just a few years back, there wasn’t  a lot of great bbq in the city limits of Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc.  You’d have to make the trips to Lockhart, Llano,  Taylor, etc.  Now there are a lot of great bbq places closer to/in the cities.  I don’t think we can say “there’s always room for another great barbecue joint,” because if you are just re-dividing the same pie, there isn’t.

I was wondering about this.  With you being in the biz — are the major cities just too saturated now?  Just a few years back, there wasn’t  a lot of great bbq in the city limits of Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc.  You’d have to make the trips to Lockhart, Llano,  Taylor, etc.  Now there are a lot of great bbq places closer to/in the cities.  I don’t think we can say “there’s always room for another great barbecue joint,” because if you are just re-dividing the same pie, there isn’t.

There are areas of Houston that are saturated (Heights/Washington/Montrose/Downtown, Katy, Spring/Cypress/Tomball). Then there areas that are not. Willow was in the Heights, where he had to compete with Pinkerton/Gatlin/Truth. All three of those are TM Top50. Is Willow their equal as far as product? I, and many food writers, would argue yes. But the average consumer is gonna go to the big name spots. Especially when they have their own building. Houston really hasn’t embraced food trucks like Austin has, so if you operate out of a truck in an already cluttered market then you are a distinct disadvantage.

In my opinion (like that is worth something), Willow’s is much better than Gatlin and as good as Pinkerton or Truth.

I still think the Energy Corridor needs a good bbq spot. All those engineering firms and oil companies, that is clientele with money and love bbq. There has to be some still affordable places out that way.

I really hope he opens a spot. His bbq was goddamn good.

22 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

There are areas of Houston that are saturated (Heights/Washington/Montrose/Downtown, Katy, Spring/Cypress/Tomball). Then there areas that are not. Willow was in the Heights, where he had to compete with Pinkerton/Gatlin/Truth. All three of those are TM Top50. Is Willow their equal as far as product? I, and many food writers, would argue yes. But the average consumer is gonna go to the big name spots. Especially when they have their own building. Houston really hasn’t embraced food trucks like Austin has, so if you operate out of a truck in an already cluttered market then you are a distinct disadvantage.

Yeah — I was born and grew up in Houston (and get back a good bit), but live in Austin now. Food trucks are all over here and part of the culture (not sure how many now remember that Franklin started with a truck).  I guess I didn’t realize that food trucks had a stigma in Houston, because historically, not much has a stigma in Houston unless you say you’re from Dallas.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:19 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Go try Willow’s.

Willow's was the food truck by Big Star Bar on 19th right? It was pretty good. 

I wanted to try Victorian's on 18th. It was a trailer with a covered area and some big tables. The Tri Tip was supposed to be really good. But they closed before I got around to it. 

Buck's is next on the list. It's a really cool part of town with not that many good BBQ spots. A+ for the location. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Willow's was the food truck by Big Star Bar on 19th right? It was pretty good. 

I wanted to try Victorian's on 18th. It was a trailer with a covered area and some big tables. The Tri Tip was supposed to be really good. But they closed before I got around to it. 

Buck's is next on the list. It's a really cool part of town with not that many good BBQ spots. A+ for the location. 

Victorians was just as good as Willows imo

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So I saw in a TM post/article that a Riscky progeny has some new joint/stand in FW.  Wonder if he learned how to cook BBQ somewhere?

I'm wondering the same. I haven't heard from anyone I know that has tried it. He's hanging out at Wild Acre brewery on the weekends. i haven't done a lot of bbq these last couple of months (was in marathon training). When I did, I was going to Panther City BBQ and Dayne's Craft BBQ. Still trying to sync up my schedule for a Brix BBQ pop up. I've heard a lot of good things about Brix. And I'm hoping Flores BBQ starts up in April/May.