Texas BBQ

Washpark

8 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Just thought I'd join the thread to humble brag and say that my new place in South Austin is about 1/2 mile from Valentinas. Place makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Got damn I'm gonna be a fat fuck.

name?

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I’l admit that my reading comprehension is often poor to quite poor, but I believe he means that his new residence is a half click from Valentina’s

well...damn. i read it as he found a new BBQ spot that close to Valentinas - but your way actually makes sense now that i re-read it. my bad!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Went by Guess Family in Waco today. Pretty good. I did kinda feel sorry for them cause i was the only one there from 11:15 to 12 yet there were hundreds of people and cars going over to disney world across the street.

So you took pictures of your tray from every angle...

And you have your shadow in every one of them?

😉

And what do you mean by disney world? That Gaines Silo thing all the tourists line up for?

Just now, DoobieWah said:

So you took pictures of your tray from every angle...

And you have your shadow in every one of them?

😉

And what do you mean by disney world? That Gaines Silo thing all the tourists line up for?

yea, they have no shade there. they need to get some umbrellas or something. lol

yea, Gaines world. People everywhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

What place would be good to hit in Austin or North going on I-35 on Sunday evening for dinner? Traveling and haven't decided where to stay that night yet, so options are open.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sunday evening?  rudy’s. 

Went to 2 Bros. BBQ Market in San Antonio. Didnt think it was very good. Tea was undrinkable. Pickles not bad. 1a433615e8aaa23aac498338b30eaf0b.jpga20fd4da762fd91225d975e8a626add3.jpg60c0d27f11d88ad9ab9f65fdf4446ab0.jpgd06f4a2902811f063773a0840a294781.jpg58ab64e9bd456737baf8edf8b9ff87ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah. It’s not very good. We picked it up once to take to my parents’ house last year or the year before. I believe the owners are actual chefs, pretty good ones, but this is a bit of a miss.
  • Like 1

What place would be good to hit in Austin or North going on I-35 on Sunday evening for dinner? Traveling and haven't decided where to stay that night yet, so options are open.

Miller’s Smokehouse in Belton is pretty good. But I think it closes at 3 on Sun.

Smokey Moe's

11 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Smokey Mo's

14 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

yea, they have no shade there. they need to get some umbrellas or something. lol

How was the sausage at Guess?  The one time I went, between Christmas and New Years, the sausage looked great but was way too salty.  I suspect it was just a bad batch.

When I was there, they had a line at the 11:00 open and were sold out by 12:30.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

How was the sausage at Guess?  The one time I went, between Christmas and New Years, the sausage looked great but was way too salty.  I suspect it was just a bad batch.

When I was there, they had a line at the 11:00 open and were sold out by 12:30.

It was alright. Not salty. It was a chipotle/cheese i believe. Not as good as Tejas in Tomball. 

There was no line nor customers the entire time i was there. Everyone was walking over to the Silos.

a week ago
We had a large order for a family event and I was underwhelmed by the quality for the price, especially with all the good reviews I read. We got 7 pounds of fatty and lean brisket and 2 racks of ribs, all for more than $300. The brisket was good, but the ribs were a complete disappointment. They were $50 a rack and had barely any meat on them. Barely any of the ribs were touched by the end. This may be a good place for a sit down meal, but I do not recommend ordering here for events.
 Like  Share
Response from the owner a week ago
Miranda, I want to thank you for placing an order with us for your family gathering. We strive to provide every guest with the highest quality meats and sides coupled with the best service we can. I understand that on occasion things can occur that don’t meet expectations. When we learn of such events, we do all we can to make the situation right so our guest depart (at a minimum) satisfied with their experience.

I’ve taken time to read your review several times in an attempt to tease out any nuance that isn’t readily identifiable and my conclusion departs from yours in a few fundamental ways. The spare ribs we cook and sell are of a standard size and consistency. They are full rack spare ribs and not St Louis cut so the rib bone sizes will vary dependent on rib location on the rack. I personally oversaw the spare rib cook Thursday morning so I am intimately aware of their size and consistency. They were reflective of all other racks we sell on a daily basis if not slightly larger. (Q: have you ever eaten our spare ribs? If so, they are identical to what you received).

My conclusion regarding there being little meat on the bones is very different from yours. Since you provided no images of the ribs to compare to your review, I must gauge the ribs based on what I saw before, during and after the cook and what I saw was standard to slightly heavier than standard rib weights. Unless you placed them in the oven and left them for hours to dry out and lose all protein weight, they were of standard size. (For the sake of argument, I will presume you didn’t take such careless measures).

The meat of my conclusion then focuses on consumption patterns by most people. People who enjoy eating ribs will eat them until they are full. If the ribs have less meat on them, they will eat more ribs, not less to reach a level of satiation. Less meat=More Ribs consumed. You stated ’barely any of the ribs were touched at the end’. This does not fit normal consumption patterns of most people.

The other nuance of your statement is also very telling. Throughout the entire meal, very few people ate ribs at all. This indicates to me one of three possibilities: 1) the ribs were larger than they were accustomed to consuming and so ate fewer of them because they reached a level of satiation sooner than they normally would (a direct contradiction to your claim) 2) your family doesn’t like ribs (in general or these specifically) or 3) your guests filled on brisket and sides instead of ribs. Since you didn’t state anything about the taste of the ribs being subpar, this leaves us with the conclusion that perhaps many/most of the people you were feeding do not like pork spare ribs or were full and passed on them.

The entire idea that people decided not to eat ribs because the protein content was scant is ludicrous. If they wanted ribs, they would have consumed more, not less. Since few were eaten, it sounds as if they are not pork rib enthusiasts and decided instead to focus on the brisket. If I had to bet, I would venture to say that you are upset because you spent $100 on ribs that no one was keen to eat. It had nothing to do with rib meat but more to do menu options.

Lastly, your statement that we (LMBBQ) are incapable of serving for events or large groups isn’t validated by anything in your review. In fact, it highlights that perhaps you are the neophyte in event meal planning and quantities required. We have successfully catering for decades with countless satisfied, repeat clients. We understand the quantities of food required to feed all sizes of groups and events. To blame us by way of rib meat on rib bones for your ordering overage is dishonest at best. I would suggest that for future family events you seek professional assistance when placing orders (quantity) and clear the menu with the group you will be feeding prior to making unilateral decisions on their behalf. I’m fairly confident these acts will alleviate many meal issues in the future.

Thank you again for your order with us and I wish you all the best!

Kindest regards,

Wayne Mueller 3rd Generation Owner | Pitmaster
Louie Mueller Barbecue
  • Like 2

well, at least it was a complete response to the review...

Spoiler

granted, i am 1 for 5 now on my trips to Louie Mueller and that is ok. just won't be going back on my own...

everyone else, almost to a person, that i know loves the place and has had fantastic experiences. maybe i hit them on a bad day, got a bad brisket/bite/cut, had a bad person cutting (which happened one time, lady should flat out not have served it and i should have taken it back and asked for another piece), etc..

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

a week ago
We had a large order for a family event and I was underwhelmed by the quality for the price, especially with all the good reviews I read. We got 7 pounds of fatty and lean brisket and 2 racks of ribs, all for more than $300. The brisket was good, but the ribs were a complete disappointment. They were $50 a rack and had barely any meat on them. Barely any of the ribs were touched by the end. This may be a good place for a sit down meal, but I do not recommend ordering here for events.
 Like  Share
Response from the owner a week ago
Miranda, I want to thank you for placing an order with us for your family gathering. We strive to provide every guest with the highest quality meats and sides coupled with the best service we can. I understand that on occasion things can occur that don’t meet expectations. When we learn of such events, we do all we can to make the situation right so our guest depart (at a minimum) satisfied with their experience.

I’ve taken time to read your review several times in an attempt to tease out any nuance that isn’t readily identifiable and my conclusion departs from yours in a few fundamental ways. The spare ribs we cook and sell are of a standard size and consistency. They are full rack spare ribs and not St Louis cut so the rib bone sizes will vary dependent on rib location on the rack. I personally oversaw the spare rib cook Thursday morning so I am intimately aware of their size and consistency. They were reflective of all other racks we sell on a daily basis if not slightly larger. (Q: have you ever eaten our spare ribs? If so, they are identical to what you received).

My conclusion regarding there being little meat on the bones is very different from yours. Since you provided no images of the ribs to compare to your review, I must gauge the ribs based on what I saw before, during and after the cook and what I saw was standard to slightly heavier than standard rib weights. Unless you placed them in the oven and left them for hours to dry out and lose all protein weight, they were of standard size. (For the sake of argument, I will presume you didn’t take such careless measures).

The meat of my conclusion then focuses on consumption patterns by most people. People who enjoy eating ribs will eat them until they are full. If the ribs have less meat on them, they will eat more ribs, not less to reach a level of satiation. Less meat=More Ribs consumed. You stated ’barely any of the ribs were touched at the end’. This does not fit normal consumption patterns of most people.

The other nuance of your statement is also very telling. Throughout the entire meal, very few people ate ribs at all. This indicates to me one of three possibilities: 1) the ribs were larger than they were accustomed to consuming and so ate fewer of them because they reached a level of satiation sooner than they normally would (a direct contradiction to your claim) 2) your family doesn’t like ribs (in general or these specifically) or 3) your guests filled on brisket and sides instead of ribs. Since you didn’t state anything about the taste of the ribs being subpar, this leaves us with the conclusion that perhaps many/most of the people you were feeding do not like pork spare ribs or were full and passed on them.

The entire idea that people decided not to eat ribs because the protein content was scant is ludicrous. If they wanted ribs, they would have consumed more, not less. Since few were eaten, it sounds as if they are not pork rib enthusiasts and decided instead to focus on the brisket. If I had to bet, I would venture to say that you are upset because you spent $100 on ribs that no one was keen to eat. It had nothing to do with rib meat but more to do menu options.

Lastly, your statement that we (LMBBQ) are incapable of serving for events or large groups isn’t validated by anything in your review. In fact, it highlights that perhaps you are the neophyte in event meal planning and quantities required. We have successfully catering for decades with countless satisfied, repeat clients. We understand the quantities of food required to feed all sizes of groups and events. To blame us by way of rib meat on rib bones for your ordering overage is dishonest at best. I would suggest that for future family events you seek professional assistance when placing orders (quantity) and clear the menu with the group you will be feeding prior to making unilateral decisions on their behalf. I’m fairly confident these acts will alleviate many meal issues in the future.

Thank you again for your order with us and I wish you all the best!

Kindest regards,

Wayne Mueller 3rd Generation Owner | Pitmaster
Louie Mueller Barbecue

What a douche. He's that insecure about a 3 star review to type up 1,000 words of pedantry? 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What a douche. He's that insecure about a 3 star review to type up 1,000 words of pedantry? 

Yeah maybe if he spent as much time preparing ribs as he did on typing that reply, he’d put out better food.  What a jackass.  A simple “we’re sorry to hear that, we’ll try harder next time, we’d love you to give us another chance, etc” would suffice.  No reason to get all stabby toward your customers about it.  Reading that kind of reply makes me never want to go there.

28 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah maybe if he spent as much time preparing ribs as he did on typing that reply, he’d put out better food.  What a jackass.  A simple “we’re sorry to hear that, we’ll try harder next time, we’d love you to give us another chance, etc” would suffice.  No reason to get all stabby toward your customers about it.  Reading that kind of reply makes me never want to go there.

Looks like this is a trend, basically they pick seemingly at random reviews and have responses that are pretty jackass-y across the board. 

Makes it even easier for me to say no thanks to going back there in the future - which is generally my plan of action any time I see a restaurant or a chef responding like that to reviews anywhere. 

(for comparison, went to a couple of other big BBQ joints in TX and didn't see any of those folks responding to random Google reviews) 

Spoiler

2 star review: Not lockhart Tx barbeque

Response from the owner:

Correct. It is Taylor TX Barbecue. Thank you for the clarification on the regional distinction. ✌🏼

/

3 star review: Its ok

esponse from the owner:

You’re fairly so-so yourself... thanks for stopping by!

/

1 star review by someone called AP Patschke

Not good

Response from the owner:

The real AP Patschke would have contacted me directly if he had any issue with his experience. Fraud and ID theft is rampant....

/

2 star review by someone called "Chris Shore" - no text

Response from the owner:

Chris Shore - AKA John Mueller... enough said...

/

2 star review: Everything has a very strong pastrami seasoning. Pretty pricey for what you get..

Response from the owner:

If salt and pepper are pastrami’s sole seasonings, then we are guilty as charged. If not, reserving such opinions for only those who love you would be advisable. Merry Christmas!

/

1 star review: Service was very slow. Ribs were cold. Prices high.

Response from the owner:

Lloyd... I have been tracking transactions the entire shift today (Wed 11/21/18). Guests 60 deep have been tracked through transaction completion at 44-48 minutes giving us an avg transaction time of approx 45 sec. 

All ribs temped at time of pull, at time of rest, at time of service and now (1:57p) are all well within safety temperature requirements. 

Our pricing is reflective of the industry as a whole based on independent BBQ establishments. Bill Miller, Rudy’s, Dickey’s, etc exhibit price points lower than ours (as you might expect) due at least in part to economies of scale, training and meat grades. If compared to Franklins, our prices are 10%-20% lower across the board on all meats. 

So, I have to ask - have you ever been to an authentic Texas BBQ joint before now? It sounds as if this may not be your type of experience. Might I suggest a 7-11. The hot dogs are always warm, the wait is never more than 10 mins and the price points are friendly even for consumers like you.

Happy Turkey Day, Lloyd...

edit: too bad there aren't timestamps on these, wonder if they were posted at like 2am after a long evening...

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Makes it even easier for me to say no thanks to going back there in the future -

That plus it being located in Taylor - which is not on the way to or from or close to anything. 

Unless... wait a minute...

lolll.png

This might explain everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Smokey Moe's

Smokey Mo's

my sister dragged me there when we were up in del boca vista for thanksgiving.  completely inedible.  meat so tough it couldn't be pulled apart. sister left a review saying it was undercooked, and got a response back that the pink was the smoke ring. 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I can only go by what I’ve personally eaten, and Louie Mueller was one of the best places I’ve ever been. 

Almost everyone else I know who has been there has it in their Top 5 or 10...like I said, I can accept that I just had bad bites there and everyone else has good ones. 

5 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
20 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

When i went to guess they said they were moving to a brick and mortar down the street...wonder if its still on

They just need to add some painted white shiplap to their trailer and make a deal with Chip to park it in GainesWorld at the Silos. 

I live in Taylor and I've probably eaten at Louie Mueller 4-5 times, tops, in 25 years.  Just too damn expensive.  I can guarantee you walk in there on a weekend, 85% minimum of clientele is out of towners.  Even on a weekday, probably over half are.  I went to Vencil's two weeks, got a 3-meat plate for 10.79.  Was it the best BBQ, no, but it was pretty damn good, I can get 3 of those for what one beef rib costs me at Louie's.  Davis Market and Vencil's are fine with me.  That's where you'll find the locals.

• Like 1

Lunch today at LeRoy and Lewis. Liked the venue and the food was really excellent. Had beef cheek, barbacoa taco, ranch crispy pork skins and shared a “Bacon Rib”. This was like smoked caramelized bacon on a stick. Extremely good but was pretty decadent/rich. Sharing one is great. 54dc2e3ad26bb0d911ab9aa6c687c21a.jpg

• Like 5

Louie mueller has been bad for me on the last several trips.
We’ve had a job in Taylor since Sept 2018. Been to LM three times since. Went back hoping it was a bad day, but there's an old saying in Tennessee I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again.
Some people rave on it but I have not had good luck there.
So prolly hit it up next year like clockwork.
Maybe not seeing how the mgmt sounds like and arrogant douche

BBQ used to be brisket, ribs, sausage, chicken.

That just not true but hey if you want to pass up on outstanding food because you're dumb by all means, more for the rest of us.

Psst go try stuff before you talk bad about it

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Newb question here, why do most BBQ joints in Texas uses pork spare ribs instead of baby backs? I assume it's cost, maybe cooking ease, because baby backs are infinitely better. 

Spares are meatier and have more fat, which makes them more flavorful.