Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

That looks like a hell of a sandwhich. It also looks somewhat inedible as a sandwhich, I just see shit falling apart all over the place on me.

Looks similar to the Pork Brother in Law and looks like a helluva sandwich.  I need to get over to Pinkerton's next time I'm in town.

Edited by dcbc

I didn’t feel like being in the office so I ventured out for bbq. I really wanted to go to Pinkerton’s, but since it is closed today, I went to Truth instead. I normally don’t get bbq sandwiches, but since I have eaten there a number of times, I said what the hell. Got the El Jefe with jalapeño cheddar sausage. It was pretty damn good. I need a nap.

eGgkvXlN_o.jpeg

That’s a lot of sausage

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I didn’t feel like being in the office so I ventured out for bbq. I really wanted to go to Pinkerton’s, but since it is closed today, I went to Truth instead. I normally don’t get bbq sandwiches, but since I have eaten there a number of times, I said what the hell. Got the El Jefe with jalapeño cheddar sausage. It was pretty damn good. I need a nap.

eGgkvXlN_o.jpeg

Repped for Big Red. 

eGgkvXlN_o.jpeg
.544598942d3f103ba4272e75a170f98d.jpg
  • Like 5

On 6/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

eGgkvXlN_o.jpeg

You sir should get a Pulitzer Prize for that picture. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Interstellar is good, you wouldn't go wrong there.

But I think Brotherton's in Pflugerville is actually slightly closer to the Domain, and I definitely recommend that one.

Good? I hear it's out of this world. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Voting for the quarterfinals is up.    I'm a big fan of both Snow's and Louis Mueller, don't care for Cooper's or Hutchins, and never been to Brett's Backyard.  Snow's, Franklin, Kreuz, & Valentina's were my selections.

Funny.  We catered Hutchins in today @ the office.  Its' good.  Better than good.  But "great"?  Meh?

Had the discussion with a peer on this.  Snow's is really good.  So is LM.  The Hutchins in Frisco, I'm, just not going out of my way to eat there, even though it's fairly close to the casa.  Kreuz is pretty awesome as well, albeit a while since I'd made it over that way.  Soft spot in my cold, black heart for Pecan Lodge.  Justin used to sell his fares out of the back of a truck in a parking lot in Plano near the Countrywide/Frito-Lay HQs before moving to Deep Ellum.  

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The north side is lacking talent for sure 

I mean... I guess?

The south side has Valentina's, Leroy and Lewis, and Brown's.  The north side has John Mueller Black Box, Brotherton's, and Interstellar (and Stiles Switch I guess).  Then the Centralish has Franklin, La BBQ, and maybe Terry Black's?

The north joints are definitely more spread out compared to south or central that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean... I guess?

The south side has Valentina's, Leroy and Lewis, and Brown's.  The north side has John Mueller Black Box, Brotherton's, and Interstellar (and Stiles Switch I guess).  Then the Centralish has Franklin, La BBQ, and maybe Terry Black's?

The north joints are definitely more spread out compared to south or central that's for sure.

Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock would fall into your expanded list of north side.  Grabbed lunch there today and it was great.

19 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock would fall into your expanded list of north side.  Grabbed lunch there today and it was great.

Haven't tried Liberty thanks for the tip.  I'm a big fan of Louisiana Longhorn just down the street, a cajun native of Louisiana friend of mine took me there and said it's one of his favorite places in Central Texas.

Edited by utee94

High school friend of 40 years coming in this weekend for his dream hajj pilgrimage to the guy with the long sideburns' place on 11th. Okay yeah, I'll do the wait one more time.

But that's Tuesday, he's closed on Monday. So we're going down to the old haunts. I would have said City market but I hear it's been going downhill, is this true? I like sausage the most, he likes brisket. My guess is Black's would be the best for him. Can't remember, doed Black's have beef ribs? I know they have pork.

Toying with going out to Louie's in Taylor but that's a good haul.

Probably will be Black's.

Edited by phdhorn

Stanley's happy hour from 3--7 p.m. is great.  Love a place I can walk in and have the barmaid smile, call me by name, and ask me if I want a Sierra Nevada.  She's been there 8 years.  A lot of their staff are long timers.  Ian Moore is playing there tonight.  Hot as an oven there this afternoon, but wish I could go back for the show. 

They've bought the rest of the building recently and rumored to have bought some very close by property purportedly for a Stubbs Like outdoor music venue.  Fingers crossed that that happens. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

High school friend of 40 years coming in this weekend for his dream hajj pilgrimage to the guy with the long sideburns' place on 11th. Okay yeah, I'll do the wait one more time.

But that's Tuesday, he's closed on Monday. So we're going down to the old haunts. I would have said City market but I hear it's been going downhill, is this true? I like sausage the most, he likes brisket. My guess is Black's would be the best for him. Can't remember, those blacks have beef ribs? I know they have pork.

Almost positive Black's has beef ribs, though I didn't get any when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Took my daughter to Hutchin's earlier today.  I still stand behind it, though, I've only eaten at about 5 or 6 of the truly renown places in TX - Black's, Heim's, Cattleack, Hutchins, and Lockhart (Dallas).

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Almost positive Black's has beef ribs, though I didn't get any when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Took my daughter to Hutchin's earlier today.  I still stand behind it, though, I've only eaten at about 5 or 6 of the truly renown places in TX - Black's, Heim's, Cattleack, Hutchins, and Lockhart (Dallas).

Black’s has beef ribs. 

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

But that's Tuesday, he's closed on Monday. So we're going down to the old haunts. I would have said City market but I hear it's been going downhill, is this true? I like sausage the most, he likes brisket. My guess is Black's would be the best for him. Can't remember, doed Black's have beef ribs? I know they have pork.

Black’s brisket sucks.

Don't drive to any of those places. Just go to another Austin joint.

Go to Valentina’s.
  • Like 1

thanks for all the comments. You know I'm thinking more of going up to Louie Mueller's in Taylor. It's only about 15more minutes then Lockhart (and actually a much shorter drive back to my house West of Austin) and I've never eaten there.

Things are very different obviously from when we started posting here seven or eight years ago. Lockhart is really not all that big a deal anymore. I think I'll either go to Snow's or Mueller's with my friend.

Edited by phdhorn

55 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

thanks for all the comments. You know I'm thinking more of going up to Louie Mueller's in Taylor. It's only about 15more minutes then Lockhart (and actually a much shorter drive back to my house West of Austin) and I've never eaten there.

Things are very different obviously from when we started posting here seven or eight years ago. Lockhart is really not all that big a deal anymore. I think I'll either go to Snow's or Mueller's with my friend.

Go early. Mueller line doesn’t move fast. 

Maybe Snow's then...

I actually ate some take-home once from there but it was like 20 years ago and I remember nothing about it.

Edit: nevermind, I forgot the place is like never open. Right now I think they only have Saturday hours and the last I checked Monday was not on a Saturday.

Edited by phdhorn

Maybe Snow's then...
I actually ate some take-home once from there but it was like 20 years ago and I remember nothing about it.
Edit: nevermind, I forgot the place is like never open. Right now I think they only have Saturday hours and the last I checked Monday was not on a Saturday.

Just go to Valentina’s.

Valentina's is great but it's a trailer.  He wants to do the touristy kind of thing and go to a long-time establishment.  So I'm going that route.  Part of the "experience" I guess.

But I'll talk to him, maybe...

Edited by phdhorn

Did they cut that brisket with a sawzall?

It is possible. It was thicc. I think they give you more than you order. This was a 3 meat plate, 2 of it brisket and the other was the spare rib. I received a lot of meat. They opened at 11, I ordered at 12:10 ish, and they were already very low on stuff.