Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 4/23/2019 at 10:51 PM, CenTXpony said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Mum Foods Pastrami, Beef Rib, and Sausage at the Mueller, Lakeline, and Barton Creek farmers market on Saturday & Sundays have been legit. They just opened a delicatessen at the old Eastside Cafe on Manor Road. No BBQ there for now but you can get it at the farmer’s markets. Daniel Vaughn wrote an article about their pastrami. Give it a go if you haven’t yet!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/mum-foods-pastrami/amp/

Went there for lunch on Saturday and it was damn good.  Had the pastrami sandwich with swiss, slaw and a good sauce.  The pastrami was excellent.

Also, fyi, it's byob.

Edited by hobbs

Anyone going to the Smoked Dallas event this weekend up here in Dallas?

BBQ ON THE BRAZOS (CRESSON)

BLACK’S BARBECUE (LOCKHART)

BODACIOUS BBQ MOBBERLY (LONGVIEW)

CATTLEACK BARBEQUE (DALLAS)

EVIE MAE’S PIT BARBEQUE (WOLFFORTH)

FERRIS WHEELER’S (DALLAS)

HEIM BARBECUE (FT. WORTH)

HURTADO BARBECUE (ARLINGTON)

HUTCHINS BBQ (MCKINNEY)

KREUZ MARKET (LOCKHART)

LOCKHART SMOKEHOUSE (DALLAS)

LOUIE MUELLER BARBECUE (TAYLOR)

MEAT CHURCH (WAXAHACHIE)

MICKLETHWAIT CRAFT MEATS (AUSTIN)

PANTHER CITY BBQ (FT. WORTH)

ROEGELS BARBECUE CO. (HOUSTON)

SCHMIDT FAMILY BARBECUE (BEE CAVE)

SMOKE SESSIONS BARBECUE (ROYSE CITY)

TEJAS CHOCOLATE & BBQ (TOMBALL)

ZAVALA’S BARBECUE (GRAND PRAIRIE)

ALSO FEATURING

CAFE MOMENTUM (DALLAS)

EMPORIUM PIES (DALLAS)

I'm not much of a country music fan and generally hate crowded festivals (but will put up with the State Fair for the wife), but this looks interesting.  My guess is it's a shit show of long lines for anything to try.

Saturday, September 21 at Main St. Garden Park in Downtown Dallas.
How Smoked Works:
  • Smoked Dallas is from 2PM - 6PM with complimentary BBQ from every restaurant included until 5PM. Plus sides and desserts. No one is going home hungry at Smoked Dallas!
  • VIP ticket holders get exclusive early entrance at 1PM
$50 General Admission Ticket  (Entry at 2PM) - includes 3 hours of complimentary BBQ tastings + music & games.

$96 VIP ticket (Early Entry at 1PM) - VIP ticketholders receive 4 hours of complimentary BBQ with exclusive early entry to Smoked at 1pm, having 1 hour of VIP only access to the BBQ tasting before general admission ticketholders arrive. Upon arrival VIPs receive 2 free drink coupons, entry into the VIP area with VIP bar, restrooms and stage viewing.

Children 6-12: $14. Children 5 and under are free.
Edited by DDD Dad

On 9/18/2019 at 2:53 PM, DDD Dad said:

Anyone going to the Smoked Dallas event this weekend up here in Dallas?

BBQ ON THE BRAZOS (CRESSON)

BLACK’S BARBECUE (LOCKHART)

BODACIOUS BBQ MOBBERLY (LONGVIEW)

CATTLEACK BARBEQUE (DALLAS)

EVIE MAE’S PIT BARBEQUE (WOLFFORTH)

FERRIS WHEELER’S (DALLAS)

HEIM BARBECUE (FT. WORTH)

HURTADO BARBECUE (ARLINGTON)

HUTCHINS BBQ (MCKINNEY)

KREUZ MARKET (LOCKHART)

LOCKHART SMOKEHOUSE (DALLAS)

LOUIE MUELLER BARBECUE (TAYLOR)

MEAT CHURCH (WAXAHACHIE)

MICKLETHWAIT CRAFT MEATS (AUSTIN)

PANTHER CITY BBQ (FT. WORTH)

ROEGELS BARBECUE CO. (HOUSTON)

SCHMIDT FAMILY BARBECUE (BEE CAVE)

SMOKE SESSIONS BARBECUE (ROYSE CITY)

TEJAS CHOCOLATE & BBQ (TOMBALL)

ZAVALA’S BARBECUE (GRAND PRAIRIE)

ALSO FEATURING

CAFE MOMENTUM (DALLAS)

EMPORIUM PIES (DALLAS)

I'm not much of a country music fan and generally hate crowded festivals (but will put up with the State Fair for the wife), but this looks interesting.  My guess is it's a shit show of long lines for anything to try.

Saturday, September 21 at Main St. Garden Park in Downtown Dallas.
How Smoked Works:
  • Smoked Dallas is from 2PM - 6PM with complimentary BBQ from every restaurant included until 5PM. Plus sides and desserts. No one is going home hungry at Smoked Dallas!
  • VIP ticket holders get exclusive early entrance at 1PM
$50 General Admission Ticket  (Entry at 2PM) - includes 3 hours of complimentary BBQ tastings + music & games.

$96 VIP ticket (Early Entry at 1PM) - VIP ticketholders receive 4 hours of complimentary BBQ with exclusive early entry to Smoked at 1pm, having 1 hour of VIP only access to the BBQ tasting before general admission ticketholders arrive. Upon arrival VIPs receive 2 free drink coupons, entry into the VIP area with VIP bar, restrooms and stage viewing.

Children 6-12: $14. Children 5 and under are free.

DDD - check the Dallas BBQ thread.  It was discussed quite a bit a page or so back.  General consensus seemed to be that paying extra for the VIP and going early before all the poor people get there is the only way to go.  That and most of the places roll out their B level product to feed the masses with, so you’re probably not getting much in the way of great BBQ.  I was on the fence about possibly going this year, but after reading all that, I decided to stay home and watch some football.

DDD - check the Dallas BBQ thread.  It was discussed quite a bit a page or so back.  General consensus seemed to be that paying extra for the VIP and going early before all the poor people get there is the only way to go.  That and most of the places roll out their B level product to feed the masses with, so you’re probably not getting much in the way of great BBQ.  I was on the fence about possibly going this year, but after reading all that, I decided to stay home and watch some football.

Ah ok thanks. I remember those posts now but for some reason I had it in my head that was for something else.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:26 AM, Ghost of LL said:

I know I'm going to hear shit for this, but the brisket frito pie is phenomenal.  

Nothing wrong with that (except for a week's worth of calories in one sitting).  Vitek's in Waco is famous for the "Gut Pack."

Edited by Bullneck

14 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've been to Hutchins in McKinney twice and was not impressed either time.

Not impressed like it was bad or not impressed like it wasn’t in the top few places in the DFW area?  The couple times I went, I thought it was above Rudy’s but not top few places in DFW level.

that said, if I were stuck in McKinney for a week, I’d check it out.  But certainly not worth making a special trip out there for it

35 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not impressed like it was bad or not impressed like it wasn’t in the top few places in the DFW area?  The couple times I went, I thought it was above Rudy’s but not top few places in DFW level.

that said, if I were stuck in McKinney for a week, I’d check it out.  But certainly not worth making a special trip out there for it

I actually prefer Rudy's.  It is better than Bill Miller, though.  Based upon the meals I've had there, it wouldn't make the Texas Monthly Top 50.

ETA:  My experience is limited.  If others give good marks based upon several trips, I would give that more weight.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

This.  It's fine but not worth a special trip.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 11:23 AM, DallasHorn26 said:

Stopped at Bodacious in Longview the other day. The place was legit. Brisket was great and had a nice peppery bark. I really loved the ribs, they had a little bit of spice to them. Housemade sausage was ok. Not the best I've had, but better than most places. Did not try the sauce (they threw that in with the tray, it was definitely not needed). 4b9e687a1702170e33fd99c306c3a940.jpg

Picked up a large order for a bday party on Saturday. Was fantastic. 

All the Kings Men in downtown Bryan is supposed to be good.  And then there is Good Bull on G Bush Drive too, but it is next door to the texags office so you might catch the aggys.
I'll eat just about anything, and after being in Maine for a few months I would kill or severely maime several of you for a even a half pound of Rudy's moist. But I will be damned to hell for six eternities before I step foot in a place called good bull. Have you no fucking shame?
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'll eat just about anything, and after being in Maine for a few months I would kill or severely maime several of you for a even a half pound of Rudy's moist. But I will be damned to hell for six eternities before I step foot in a place called good bull. Have you no fucking shame?

I respect your principles.

2 hours ago, Paco said:
12 hours ago, Moby Ric said:
All the Kings Men in downtown Bryan is supposed to be good.  And then there is Good Bull on G Bush Drive too, but it is next door to the texags office so you might catch the aggys.

Would give you more super gay rep hearts if I could.

13 hours ago, Paco said:
23 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Pump the brakes homo. Dude asked for rec's I gave them.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So is the Original Smolik’s in Mathis any good? I know it was in the top 50 but I seem to recall folks saying it wasn’t very good. And if it is shit, is there anything good in that general area?

Growing up down in the region, all the Czech BBQ joints were sausage > chicken > brisket > ribs.  Go for the meats in that order and it'll be aight.  If it's legitimate Czech, there'll be some pickled white onions on the side.

• Like 1