Texas BBQ

Washpark

I guess Blood Bros has a really good publicist?

I was completely unimpressed by my recent visit. The best items were the fried rice and sausage. Nothing else came close to being described as good.

That wasn’t my two experiences. One visit I would say it was great. Second visit I would call it really good. However, they really know how to play the game when it comes to press and social media. On my second visit they were being interviewed at one of the tables out front.

35 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

One need look no further than Austin. Loro, Brotherton, LeRoy, Micklethwaite, et al.

Okay then one must ask what is your definition of “straight bbq” that this “trend” is “moving away from”?

In looking at their menus, I’ll give you Loro as a place with some definite variety outside of most bbq joints.

The rest look to have smoked meat by the pound, some platters of pick 2 or 3 or so said meats, some sandwiches comprised of said meat, some sides and a desert or 2.  Seems about as straight BBQ as it gets.

Then of course, one would have to argue whether one could really consider a couple places in the most heavily saturated bbq town in Texas (arguably the world) trying to differentiate themselves with some variety a “trend”?

I know North Texas doesn’t count for much, but certainly not a “trend” we’re seeing up here.  In fact, there’s one place In Dallas that I think might be categorized as what you’re talking about, place called 18th & Vine, and...It. Is. Dog. Shit.

Well you assholes will argue about anything, as it should be since this is surly, but I think a better way to phrase it, is to say that there is a trend to differentiate and expand beyond straight BBQ, not to move away from it.  I think the evidence supports that there is still plenty of demand for straight BBQ , as the places in Austin/CenTex that have multi-hour lines are still all pretty much "straight bbq."

On the other hand, I'd say a brisket banh mi sandwich at Brotherton's Black Iron, or the sandiwches at Leroy and Lewis with kimchi and beet BBQ sauce, or pretty much the entire menu at Loro, certainly represent a trend toward expanding beyond straight BBQ.

So in other words, Why Not Both?

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

Okay then one must ask what is your definition of “straight bbq” that this “trend” is “moving away from”?
In looking at their menus, I’ll give you Loro as a place with some definite variety outside of most bbq joints.
The rest look to have smoked meat by the pound, some platters of pick 2 or 3 or so said meats, some sandwiches comprised of said meat, some sides and a desert or 2.  Seems about as straight BBQ as it gets.
Then of course, one would have to argue whether one could really consider a couple places in the most heavily saturated bbq town in Texas (arguably the world) trying to differentiate themselves with some variety a “trend”?
I know North Texas doesn’t count for much, but certainly not a “trend” we’re seeing up here.  In fact, there’s one place In Dallas that I think might be categorized as what you’re talking about, place called 18th & Vine, and...It. Is. Dog. Shit.

That’s fair. I have traditional bbq offerings (mainly because some customers demand it), but if you look at my menus its pretty clear that we’re a non-traditional bbq place. Same could be said for those other places I mentioned.

That’s not to say that consumers are trending away from straight bbq. But the market-style bbq landscape is cluttered as shit. Some folks recognize that and are pushing the boundaries of traditionalism, and clearly there is a market for that.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

That’s fair. I have traditional bbq offerings (mainly because some customers demand it), but if you look at my menus its pretty clear that we’re a non-traditional bbq place. Same could be said for those other places I mentioned.

That’s not to say that consumers are trending away from straight bbq. But the market-style bbq landscape is cluttered as shit. Some folks recognize that and are pushing the boundaries of traditionalism, and clearly there is a market for that.

That makes a lot more sense.  As @utee94 mentioned above, the places with the multi-hour lines, aka the customers, which are all about as “straight bbq” as it gets, would clearly indicate the trend in NOT moving away from straight bbq.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Well you assholes will argue about anything, as it should be since this is surly, but I think a better way to phrase it, is to say that there is a trend to differentiate and expand beyond straight BBQ, not to move away from it.  I think the evidence supports that there is still plenty of demand for straight BBQ , as the places in Austin/CenTex that have multi-hour lines are still all pretty much "straight bbq."

On the other hand, I'd say a brisket banh mi sandwich at Brotherton's Black Iron, or the sandiwches at Leroy and Lewis with kimchi and beet BBQ sauce, or pretty much the entire menu at Loro, certainly represent a trend toward expanding beyond straight BBQ.

So in other words, Why Not Both?

If I agree with all this, does it mean I have to stop arguing about it?  Not sure I’m ready for that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChampKind said:

agreed - people are having to differentiate themselves from other "top" BBQ joints, even looking at Daniel Vaughn's Top 25 New spots, a ton of them have something they do or serve beyond just the trinity, potato salad and sweet tea.

Quick review of it shows that Leroy & Lewis, Loro, Blood Brothers, Feges, The Switch, Feges, Black Board, Guess, etc are not what most would consider a "typical" BBQ joint.

Hell, even look at the menu for Helberg in Waco (I have not been there yet) but they are serving pesto stuffed turkey, gouda mac & cheese, collard greens,  creamed street corn, chicken with alabama white sauce, etc - none of that is super traditional. 

You really do have to have something to make you stand out from everywhere else these days - the days of being super successful opening a new joint and doing only what Jordan was doing at Bodacious on Mobberly (brisket, turkey, ribs, pulled pork, sausage, hot link, potato salad, tea/lemonade) are really not coming back. Even now they are doing a bunch of crazy different burnt ends, boudin, burgers, etc) 

You have a combo of BBQ being the best it has ever been in Texas, a zillion joints opening up in town large and small (how difficult do people honestly think it was to make a Top 50 in 1990 vs today?), and there being  "BBQ media" make it hard to stand out and stay open if you are just doing what most in 2019 consider the basics 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

You really do have to have something to make you stand out from everywhere else these days - the days of being super successful opening a new joint and doing only what Jordan was doing at Bodacious on Mobberly (brisket, turkey, ribs, pulled pork, sausage, hot link, potato salad, tea/lemonade) are really not coming back.

Agree with most of what you said, but the correct answer really is whynotboth.gif as @utee94 mentioned above.  There is no question that if someone came along with "straight bbq" or "traditional bbq" or whatever we're calling it, that delivers the quality and consistency of a Snow's, Franklin or Cattleack (to name a few), with the right location, service and other factors that determine the success of a restaurant, it would be successful.  Maybe not in Austin as it probably has gotten saturated, but everywhere else in the state for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

agreed - people are having to differentiate themselves from other "top" BBQ joints, even looking at Daniel Vaughn's Top 25 New spots, a ton of them have something they do or serve beyond just the trinity, potato salad and sweet tea.

Quick review of it shows that Leroy & Lewis, Loro, Blood Brothers, Feges, The Switch, Feges, Black Board, Guess, etc are not what most would consider a "typical" BBQ joint.

Hell, even look at the menu for Helberg in Waco (I have not been there yet) but they are serving pesto stuffed turkey, gouda mac & cheese, collard greens,  creamed street corn, chicken with alabama white sauce, etc - none of that is super traditional. 

You really do have to have something to make you stand out from everywhere else these days - the days of being super successful opening a new joint and doing only what Jordan was doing at Bodacious on Mobberly (brisket, turkey, ribs, pulled pork, sausage, hot link, potato salad, tea/lemonade) are really not coming back. Even now they are doing a bunch of crazy different burnt ends, boudin, burgers, etc) 

You have a combo of BBQ being the best it has ever been in Texas, a zillion joints opening up in town large and small (how difficult do people honestly think it was to make a Top 50 in 1990 vs today?), and there being  "BBQ media" make it hard to stand out and stay open if you are just doing what most in 2019 consider the basics 

You eating BBQ in Georgia? gtfoh

Otherwise, yep. There's also a lot of non-bbq places incorporating bbq into their menus like at Kemuri Tatsuya. I was skeptical that brisket would work in ramen. I thought it would get soggy and the pepper from the bark would overpower the ramen broth. I was wrong. It's fucking delicious. Plus they've got weird smoked Japanese fish shit like smoked eel, smoked fish collar, smoked mackerel. I'm into it.

• Like 1

No doubt when he thinks of Guy Clark, Steve Earle can’t help but think of his last moments with his mentor.The voice was unmistakable even when it was groggy and it began with a single word.

Steven.”

Just as Steve Earle got to the door and was about to leave his friend for likely the last time, he heard the voice of Guy Clark who awoke, his eyes popped up in his bed at a Nashville facility.

If it was anybody else, Earle would have had a problem. Nobody else called him that.

Earle who had delivered barbeque that night wanted to know what he thought. Clark then uttered one word.

“Pork.”

He then closed his eyes.

In his forty-four years of living in Nashville, Guy Clark never accepted pork as proper barbeque. If this was the last thing his teacher had said, it was okay for Steve Earle. After all, it was such a Guy thing to do.

Steve told this story on ACL Live that aired on Saturday.    Cracks me up. 

"How was the BBQ?"  

"Pork".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Agree with most of what you said, but the correct answer really is whynotboth.gif as @utee94 mentioned above.  There is no question that if someone came along with "straight bbq" or "traditional bbq" or whatever we're calling it, that delivers the quality and consistency of a Snow's, Franklin or Cattleack (to name a few), with the right location, service and other factors that determine the success of a restaurant, it would be successful.  Maybe not in Austin as it probably has gotten saturated, but everywhere else in the state for sure.

there is value in both 100% agree with you!

i would say that if someone can do that, they are successful almost anywhere you are. honestly, that is what Jordan did at Bodacious Mobberly in Longview and it worked out quite well for him obv.

Cattleack

Still great.  Top to bottom, left to right...

3 different sausages - all great, crack cake - always amazing

pickles - some of the best

side of beans, side of cheesy grits, side of greens

Big Red

pork steak - hadn't ever had it before maybe the best thing on the table, pork ribs - better than I remember, brisket - as good as ever

whole hog - not as good as I remember from last time, but still pretty solid

e5QrAd.jpg

• Like 3

Stopped at Pustkas Family BBQ in Hutto for lunch today.  1/4 moist brisket and a pint of brisket chili was great.  Quality barbecue and one person in line at 11:45.  Yesterday the sold out before 2:00, so they must not be cooking too much during the week right now.  Worth a stop if you're in the area or passing through around lunch time.

However, the best part of going to Hutto today - getting 25 gallons of gas for .76/gallon at the grand opening of a 76 Station around the corner from Pustkas.  Filled up the suburban for $19.22.

• Like 3

Had Leroy and Lewis again today. Beef Cheeks, their usual sausage, a barbacoa taco, and some pork, cheese and bean sausage. It was all great. No, it was all great and the beef cheeks were motherfucking exceptionally delicious like always. I want to make sweet love to them, but I think that is frowned upon.

VBmAYLNH_o.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Had Leroy and Lewis again today. Beef Cheeks, their usual sausage, a barbacoa taco, and some pork, cheese and bean sausage. It was all great. No, it was all great and the beef cheeks were motherfucking exceptionally delicious like always. I want to make sweet love to them, but I think that is frowned upon.

You're such a rep whore, and you know why.

As for those beef cheeks, that's why you take 'em to go.

• Like 1

just because john lewis is in charleston doesn’t mean he isn’t cooking texas bbq.  is he doing good business?

It was definitely Texas cue even though not in Texas. Shiner Bock and Austin Eastciders available at the bar. Place was hopping. We told our Lyft driver to hit it up since he mentioned how great we smelled haha.
  • Like 1

just because john lewis is in charleston doesn’t mean he isn’t cooking texas bbq.  is he doing good business?

It was definitely Texas cue even though not in Texas. Shiner Bock and Austin Eastciders available at the bar. Place was hopping. We told our Lyft driver to hit it up since he mentioned how great we smelled haha.
  • Like 1

• Like 1