Texas BBQ

Washpark

13 hours ago, Paco said:
On 11/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, tx 3 putt said:
Southside BBQ last night Bastrop was not bad. Brisket and sausage were better than chain places and a notch below the name places. Would eat there again before a hs football game. Nice restaurant too 

Get the pork steak next time, and a couple more to go.

Based on my limited experience, I’m thinking this should be the rule of thumb every time you’re ever at a place and it’s on the menu.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I didn’t really look at the menu, wanted a turkey sandwich but turkey wasn’t available. So went with sliced beef because the brisket looked very tasty 

I’ll probably get negged for this, but...

1)  I find the turkey to almost universally be the worst thing on the menu at most BBQ places.

2)  I find ordering a sandwich at a BBQ place to be like ordering a hotdog at a steakhouse.

But that’s just me...to each their own.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

1)  I find the turkey to almost universally be the worst thing on the menu at most BBQ places.

2)  I find ordering a sandwich at a BBQ place to be like ordering a hotdog at a steakhouse.

wut

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Heading to Austin tomorrow for a day or two with family from FL and staying on S Congress.  What would be the best BBQ joint to take them to?  We can do lunch or dinner.  Guessing they wont want to wait at Franklins as we have lots of museums and shit to do.  

la bbq on 1st street.

edit, nm I think they’re closed monday.  a lot of the places are closed monday actually.  terry black’s is probably open. 

Edited by futureman

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Heading to Austin tomorrow for a day or two with family from FL and staying on S Congress.  What would be the best BBQ joint to take them to?  We can do lunch or dinner.  Guessing they wont want to wait at Franklins as we have lots of museums and shit to do.  

Terry Black's on Barton Springs is a great low-key place to bring family to.  Usually not a big line and such, but they'll get the Texas barbecue experience there.

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Valentina's is also open on Monday... although I prefer to go there for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Spot.

The.

Fuck.

On.

It ain't just you Friendo.

Nothing wrong with a bbq sandwich. I don’t get them often, but if I do it’s after I have been to a joint several times and eaten the brisket by itself. But I’ll allow that hot take because I have a hot take of my own: ribs are incredibly overrated. They are good but I don’t think they are anything special and I would rather have some great sausage (just like South Austin’s mom).

John Mueller’s Turkey was some of the goddamn tastiest and moistest bbq. No shame ordering some alongside some brisket.

• Like 1

I've only been to la BBQ once. Stood in a reasonably short line for 30 minutes and it moved three people. Ended up leaving because we didn't have time to wait an hour or more to get our food. Too bad because I wanted to try it.

As for turkey, I've had some damn good turkey at a few places. Usually just order it because our kids want it, but it's rarely bad. Some of the best I had was from Pappa Charlie's food truck.

I'd also prefer good sausage over ribs, but it seems like good sausage is harder to come by.

Helberg was phenomenal. 

Nice dudes, laid back spot - the only question I have is why they moved out to Woodway, like 20 min from downtown. Assume cheap real estate and B&M over food truck but wonder how that impacts their day to day sales?

Seriously it was some of the best brisket I have had in 2019...they are my spot any time I am anywhere close to Waco, thanks for recommending it y'all!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Shit, I forgot about the Monday closed deal.  We could go Tuesday for lunch also.  How is that Stiles Switch place anybody?  Decent or overrated?

Micklethwait Craft Meats would be my choice.  Close to downtown for your museums, open on Tuesday, and weather should be nice enough for dining outside.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Shit, I forgot about the Monday closed deal.  We could go Tuesday for lunch also.  How is that Stiles Switch place anybody?  Decent or overrated?

I like Stiles Switch a lot, but Valentina’s and Terry Black’s are a lot closer to where you will be

On 11/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Southside BBQ last night Bastrop was not bad. Brisket and sausage were better than chain places and a notch below the name places. Would eat there again before a hs football game. Nice restaurant too 

Saw an article a while back about the current generation running Southside.  Apparently they did a lot of work on their technique, and also started sourcing and using prime brisket.

I drive to Houston  off and on, so I stop in there occasionally.  I agree with you on placement — better than chains (like Rudys, for example) but below the top.  I think they are a lot better than the chains.  Brisket is good.  The beef ribs they serve on weekends are outstanding.  And, yes, the sausage is good.

Turkey is so incredibly easy to overcook. But if you go to a place where they actually care about the quality of their proteins and you’ll typically find some damned good turkey.

Also, ain’t nothing wrong with a good chopped beef sammich from time to time
  • Like 1

Walked into Stillwater BBQ in Abilene today around 5 and the place was empty. There was a bit of a dust storm rolling in and the guy working there said that usually keeps people away. Ordered 1 lbs of brisket, regular sausage and jalapeño cheese. My pops wanted a couple of sides so got green beans and beans. The sides were good but nothing special. The brisket was really great. Great flavor and bark. Moist but not overly fatty. I was impressed. Sausage was also very good and I was happy the jalapeño cheese was spicy. In fact spicier than most places I have been too. Really solid bbq meal.

CkDrmEtJ_o.jpeg

• Like 6

#1 - F the haters !!!

#2 - Bill Miller weds breakfast report. Potato / Sausage and Bean / Sausage tacos were fucking on point this morning. Best salsa in fast food. One large unsweet ice tea was also epic. Also picked up two pieces for tomorrow.

no idea about their bbq, I’ve never had it 

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

#1 - F the haters !!!

#2 - Bill Miller weds breakfast report. Potato / Sausage and Bean / Sausage tacos were fucking on point this morning. Best salsa in fast food. One large unsweet ice tea was also epic. Also picked up two pieces for tomorrow.

no idea about their bbq, I’ve never had it 

Then why the fuck are you posting this in the Texas BBQ thread?

• Like 1