Texas BBQ

Washpark

This is short notice, but we are driving from Austin to Houston tonight. My mom wants to get dinner along the way since we're leaving late-ish. I've never been to Meyer's or the other well known one (name escapes me - big place on 290). Which is better and is either actually good?

This is short notice, but we are driving from Austin to Houston tonight. My mom wants to get dinner along the way since we're leaving late-ish. I've never been to Meyer's or the other well known one (name escapes me - big place on 290). Which is better and is either actually good?

Southside Market. Skip Meyer’s
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paco said:
4 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:
Is there not too much flat on these slices when I asked for fatty? I really don't know.
 IMG-20190823-142323.jpg

What's the deal with the knife and fork? You some kinda yankee?

Actually yeah. I usually just grab it with a piece of bread, but diet wouldn't permit. 

And I know it comes with some flat when it's cut @ChampKind but I've never had that much of it on each piece. I ain't complaining. It was good stuff, was just wondering about that. 

Is there not too much flat on these slices when I asked for fatty? I really don't know.
 IMG-20190823-142323.jpg

If correctly sliced, you don't get the 50/50 point and flat. As much as I love Hutchins, those cutters on the board just continue to slice the entire brisket from flat to point. At first I would just let it slide but now I make a strong suggestion that they cut from the side of the point.

That brisket he posted was sliced from the side of the point (you can tell because its sliced against the grain).

Every whole brisket has point layered on top of the flat. Most briskets have a thicker point on one side vs. the other. Depending on which edge of the point your moist brisket is being sliced from your slices may have mostly moist brisket, or close to a 50/50 mix of moist/lean.

That isn’t controlled by how the brisket is sliced, its controlled by the brisket itself. caveat: unless you’re one of those neanderthals who separates the point from the flat before slicing

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, ChampKind said:

That brisket he posted was sliced from the side of the point (you can tell because its sliced against the grain).

Every whole brisket has point layered on top of the flat. Most briskets have a thicker point on one side vs. the other. Depending on which edge of the point your moist brisket is being sliced from your slices may have mostly moist brisket, or close to a 50/50 mix of moist/lean.

That isn’t controlled by how the brisket is sliced, its controlled by the brisket itself. caveat: unless you’re one of those neanderthals who separates the point from the flat before slicing

I much prefer them separated pre-slicing. Don't fatty my lean! Properly cooked lean  brisket is the most tender, moist, delicious thing on the planet.  Absolutely no reason to screw it up by attaching fatty side to it.

Now, for inferior cooks that can't get the lean cooked right, I can certainly understand why they'd feel the need to keep some fatty attached to it...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

How many of the current TM Top 10 spots have you eaten at? This is a serious question

Don't get defensive.  I've been to your place.  I love your 'cue.  Doesn't change my opinion of how I want my brisket sliced.

Anyway, I don't keep up with "current TM Top 10 spots" because I don't give a rat's ass about it.  But if you tell me what they are, I'll let you know which ones I've been to, if you really want to know, and it if really matters to you...

Just now, ChampKind said:

Nah man, not being defensive. Like I said...serious question. This is a non-sanctimonious question

Non-sanctimonious?  From you?  I don't believe you. :)

Tell me the top 10, I'll tell you where I've been.  Like I said, I don't follow the "current" Texas Monthly top whatever, because I don't really care.It's never been relevant to me.  I go to places based on hearsay from trusted friends, as I always have.  I return to places that I like.  Not every "top" place gets a return visit from me because not all of them warrant it.  Just my opinion, obviously.

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

he doesn’t know how to be any different. 

Ah it's all good with Champ and me.  We've actually had variations of this argument a few times over the years.

Not sure where he went after calling me out and I have no desire to look up whatever TM's current ranking might be, but I can certainly list the places I've been, that seem to be popular.  

In Austin, it's pretty much all of them.  Franklin, La BBQ, Mickelthwaite, Brown's, Leroy and Lewis,  Valentina's, Brotherton's,  John Muller in all his incarnations, Louis Mueller, Stiles Switch, Terry Black's, Freedmen's (RIP), many more that may or may not be on "top" lists?

Snow's in Lexington.

In Lockhart, Black's Kreuz Smitty's.

In Luling. City Market and Luling BBQ.

In Houston, Buck's (at Lucky's, before the move to Galveston)

I haven't been to any of the new top places in Dallas, San Antonio,Houston (other than Buck's), or elsewhere in Texas.

16 hours ago, futureman said:

saw this at kxan.com

man shot and killed; looks like it happened on the doorstep of stiles-switch.  anyone know anything about what happened?  story doesn’t say much

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/one-killed-in-shooting-on-north-lamar-boulevard/

17-B03-FC9-1049-4-FF3-B012-9-B2-EB4-F1-D

Spill out of the Yellow Rose across the street?

Or does Stiles Switch have a new pitmaster with a new MO?

20191130_141812.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

Best ‘cue driving east on I-30 from Dallas?
Moving out of state next Saturday and I figure it’d be fitting to have some smoked meats before I leave the state. 

Depending on how Far East your going, Naaman’s in Texarkana is pretty damn good for east texas bbq. They just moved across stateline to the Arkansas side in the old pizza inn building. His BBQ is always good and I’ve heard damn good things about his chicken fried ribeye. He’s also adding aged steaks to the menu at some point.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EE2B said:

Depending on how Far East your going, Naaman’s in Texarkana is pretty damn good for east texas bbq. They just moved across stateline to the Arkansas side in the old pizza inn building. His BBQ is always good and I’ve heard damn good things about his chicken fried ribeye. He’s also adding aged steaks to the menu at some point.

This sounds good. I’ve been to all the Dallas area joints (it’s where I live)... Other online reviews also are promising 

On 11/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, RiceOwl said:

Moving out of state next Saturday and I figure it’d be fitting to have some smoked meats before I leave the state. 

Well.... take a detour on 20 instead and hit the Bodaciois BBQ on Mobberly, it was ranked 2 or 3 in the state. 

On 11/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, ChampKind said:

This. I actually like the split slices. I don't care terribly for solid lean, but half and half-ish on up is very nice. I hate it when wannabes overthink it and separate the point and flat before slicing. All that does is make it dry out faster and ruins a lot of good slices.

18 minutes ago, DougO said:

This. I actually like the split slices. I don't care terribly for solid lean, but half and half-ish on up is very nice. I hate it when wannabes overthink it and separate the point and flat before slicing. All that does is make it dry out faster and ruins a lot of good slices.

rudy’s separates it.  you got a problem with rudy’s?

On 11/29/2019 at 7:56 PM, utee94 said:

Non-sanctimonious?  From you?  I don't believe you. :)

Tell me the top 10, I'll tell you where I've been.  Like I said, I don't follow the "current" Texas Monthly top whatever, because I don't really care.It's never been relevant to me.  I go to places based on hearsay from trusted friends, as I always have.  I return to places that I like.  Not every "top" place gets a return visit from me because not all of them warrant it.  Just my opinion, obviously.

if you don't consider Daniel Vaughn a "trusted friend" when it comes to BBQ you are doing it wrong.

seriously, that guy has to be in the top 0.1% of people who eat the most BBQ in the State of Texas every year (in the "guys who don't work at BBQ joints" category, obviously)

11 hours ago, futureman said:

rudy’s separates it.  you got a problem with rudy’s?

Rudy's in Killeen and Waco have sucked for a couple of years. I finally gave up on them. Used to be solid, but after about five trips in a row of just total crap barbecue I finally gave up on them. And their brisket was always tough, even when it tasted good.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, RiceOwl said:

Small detour, but 4Ts in Forney is fantastic. 

20 hours ago, DougO said:

Rudy's in Killeen and Waco have sucked for a couple of years. I finally gave up on them. Used to be solid, but after about five trips in a row of just total crap barbecue I finally gave up on them. And their brisket was always tough, even when it tasted good.

Why would you go to Rudy’s in Killeen and Waco when you have Guess in Waco and Miller’s in Belton?

From the Statesman regarding the Stiles Switch Murder...

A man who was killed in a North Austin shooting last week has been identified as 21-year-old Andrew Bass, Austin police said.

Officers responded to an apartment complex at 1003 Justin Lane, just west of North Lamar Boulevard, on Friday around 1:34 p.m. for a shooting. Argosy at Crestview apartments is located at 1003 Justin Lane.

When officers arrived, they found Bass inside a vehicle with injuries, described as trauma to the body, police said.

Austin fire officials and Austin-Travis County EMS medics attempted to save Bass, but he was pronounced dead at 1:59 p.m.

As officers were investigating, a second man was reported to have gunshot wounds at 6640 North Lamar Boulevard, which is about a half-mile southeast of the apartment complex on Justin Lane.

The man, whom police have not identified, was taken to a hospital where he is still in serious condition, police said.

Investigators interviewed witnesses and found out the shooting happened at the apartment complex on Justin Lane after Bass and another person of his tried to rob a resident during a drug deal, police said.=

14 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Why would you go to Rudy’s in Killeen and Waco when you have Guess in Waco and Miller’s in Belton?

Guess was not accessible the last time I tried to eat bbq in Waco. They only recently moved into an actual building that was not surrounded by the Magnolia borg collective impenetrable mass of fuck that shit. And Hellberg had only had a truck in town that mostly sold sandwiches and only recently moved into a building. And technically, it's not really in Waco, but way the fuck out in the boonies.

Since they opened, I went to Guess 5 times to get food, only managed one sample of jap & cheese sausage because it's all they had left. That was the first trip. Second and third attempts I missed by about half an hour. Then two more unsuccessful attempts at the Magnolia location. That's when I figured, well, fuck Guess.

I don't go to Waco that often. Rudy's used to be a fallback option years ago. Something happened and it went totally to shit a couple of years ago.

As far as Miller's, the sold their soul to Satan and got hipsterfied and scrapped the greatest ribs on the planet when they moved to the new poorly conceived location. They're more interested in making lists, pimping themselves on fecebook and pushing desserts and coffee than smoking actual Texas barbecue that's worth the price they're charging.

Miller's was great when it was Dirk and his old pit guy Robert and a shitty rented building. I helped put them on the map by pimping them to everybody I knew, even informed Daniel Vaughn of its existence by email when he he never heard of it, back when his thing was his Full Custom gospel Barbecue whatever blog.

Edited by DougO

Slicing brisket is serious business. I go back and forth between the two approaches. Most briskets are fine slicing up the flat and then turning 90 degrees. Some really just want to be separated. Nice to have the luxury of choice when you are cooking one or four. If you are cooking 10 or 40 maybe you take a different approach. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougO said:

Guess was not accessible the last time I tried to eat bbq in Waco. They only recently moved into an actual building that was not surrounded by the Magnolia borg collective impenetrable mass of fuck that shit. And Hellberg had only had a truck in town that mostly sold sandwiches and only recently moved into a building. And technically, it's not really in Waco, but way the fuck out in the boonies.

Since they opened, I went to Guess 5 times to get food, only managed one sample of jap & cheese sausage because it's all they had left. That was the first trip. Second and third attempts I missed by about half an hour. Then two more unsuccessful attempts at the Magnolia location. That's when I figured, well, fuck Guess.

I don't go to Waco that often. Rudy's used to be a fallback option years ago. Something happened and it went totally to shit a couple of years ago.

As far as Miller's, the sold their soul to Satan and got hipsterfied and scrapped the greatest ribs on the planet when they moved to the new poorly conceived location. They're more interested in making lists, pimping themselves on fecebook and pushing desserts and coffee than smoking actual Texas barbecue that's worth the price they're charging.

Miller's was great when it was Dirk and his old pit guy Robert and a shitty rented building. I helped put them on the map by pimping them to everybody I knew, even informed Daniel Vaughn of its existence by email when he he never heard of it, back when his thing was his Full Custom gospel Barbecue whatever blog.

I only started hitting MIller’s within the last year, so I can’t compare it to the old.  The dessert thing/decor aside, the bbq has been solid, and significantly above Rudy’s.  I will say the ordering/service process there is odd.

12 hours ago, DougO said:

From fecebook:

Update: Black Box BBQ struggled to find another location in Georgetown. As a result, John Mueller decided to permanently relocate making his new home in Granger, Tx. Please feel free to call (512) 962-1004 for updates.

Nice, 7 miles up the road from me (and his brother, hmm..).  Between that and Granger City Brewing, I'll be making more trips to Granger now.  

Nice, 7 miles up the road from me (and his brother, hmm..).  Between that and Granger City Brewing, I'll be making more trips to Granger now.  

I replied to the original tweet that they should put it in the red bricked building off walnut. By the silos. That tweet was deleted for some reason. Have they said where in granger it will be?