Texas BBQ

Washpark

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I replied to the original tweet that they should put it in the red bricked building off walnut. By the silos. That tweet was deleted for some reason. Have they said where in granger it will be?

I haven't heard anything.  That building that was Jerry's Place forever and then a couple of mexican restaurants for about a month each would be a good spot.  I saw those pictures of his smokehouse but can't make out enough of the background to tell where it is.  

ETA: actually, it looks like it IS at Granger City Brewing.  Nice!!!

granger.JPG.d8c9ff1dd698c2d66b3ff90ae2e6a82d.JPG

Edited by UTCzech III

15 hours ago, DougO said:

Guess was not accessible the last time I tried to eat bbq in Waco. They only recently moved into an actual building that was not surrounded by the Magnolia borg collective impenetrable mass of fuck that shit. And Hellberg had only had a truck in town that mostly sold sandwiches and only recently moved into a building. And technically, it's not really in Waco, but way the fuck out in the boonies.

Since they opened, I went to Guess 5 times to get food, only managed one sample of jap & cheese sausage because it's all they had left. That was the first trip. Second and third attempts I missed by about half an hour. Then two more unsuccessful attempts at the Magnolia location. That's when I figured, well, fuck Guess.

I don't go to Waco that often. Rudy's used to be a fallback option years ago. Something happened and it went totally to shit a couple of years ago.

As far as Miller's, the sold their soul to Satan and got hipsterfied and scrapped the greatest ribs on the planet when they moved to the new poorly conceived location. They're more interested in making lists, pimping themselves on fecebook and pushing desserts and coffee than smoking actual Texas barbecue that's worth the price they're charging.

Miller's was great when it was Dirk and his old pit guy Robert and a shitty rented building. I helped put them on the map by pimping them to everybody I knew, even informed Daniel Vaughn of its existence by email when he he never heard of it, back when his thing was his Full Custom gospel Barbecue whatever blog.

Helberg is like 20 min from downtown in case people are curious, but those guys are fucking killing it. seriously.

16 hours ago, DougO said:

From fecebook:

Update: Black Box BBQ struggled to find another location in Georgetown. As a result, John Mueller decided to permanently relocate making his new home in Granger, Tx. Please feel free to call (512) 962-1004 for updates.

Yep - Daniel Vaughn just posted it on twitter
Stabby is back selling Q

11 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I only started hitting MIller’s within the last year, so I can’t compare it to the old.  The dessert thing/decor aside, the bbq has been solid, and significantly above Rudy’s.  I will say the ordering/service process there is odd.

I agree with all of the above. It is still solid, but when you became accustomed to the greatness it once was it's just hard to adjust. I can now make ribs myself that are better than Miller's serves now, which is total mediocrity. His brisket is more consistent, and good, but it doesn't knock me over with flavor or slap yo mama greatness. The one thing he is doing miles better than before is chicken, which was pretty much crap before. The rare occasions I go now it's usually for chicken, which is about three times a year maybe. I haven't been in about six months. For the money, I would rather eat something else. Their layout is silly, especially when they close earlier and you can't sit out by the big windows. i hate the atmosphere and seating in the main part.

Last good barbecue I had in Bell County was Li'l Armadillo BBQ truck owned by a guy I have known for a long time. It was pretty darn good, but hasn't been setting up lately, had to cancel the last couple of times. I fear his run has ended before it even really got going.

Edited by DougO

2 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

I haven't heard anything.  That building that was Jerry's Place forever and then a couple of mexican restaurants for about a month each would be a good spot.  I saw those pictures of his smokehouse but can't make out enough of the background to tell where it is.  

ETA: actually, it looks like it IS at Granger City Brewing.  Nice!!!

granger.JPG.d8c9ff1dd698c2d66b3ff90ae2e6a82d.JPG

how am i just learning about granger city brewing? i do the 95-29 route to/from del boca vista.  should have my parents meet me there next time (well, time after that b/c xmas is on a wednesday this year)

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

how am i just learning about granger city brewing? i do the 95-29 route to/from del boca vista.  should have my parents meet me there next time (well, time after that b/c xmas is on a wednesday this year)

It's been open a couple of years, took them a while to get their footing, pretty good beers, it's right across the railroad tracks next to the post office.

Went to the new Terry Black's in Deep Ellum today. Huge space. Pretty good stuff IMO. Enjoyed the brisket, jap/cheese sausage and pork ribs. The beef rib didn't look all that great but tasted pretty good (beef ribs are almost too rich for me anyways). Turkey was good, not great. Tons and tons of sides -- beans, mac/cheese, green beans, potato salad, slaw. I think we got a little bit of everything. They've got five Mobergs running in the pit room.

3a0c133c5360e628f63311e64405c591.jpg

73d2197fb0a56d1f10fcfbc7fa1b956d.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone been to The Shed Market in Abilene for BBQ?  I hear it is legit and will be driving through there on way to and from Santa Fe at the end of the month.

Must be new. We went to Stillwater BBQ on the way thru there en route to Ruidoso summer before last and it was only slightly above average as the only TM Top 50 place at the time. Might be going back to Ruidoso next summer so would be nice to have a new place.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Must be new. We went to Stillwater BBQ on the way thru there en route to Ruidoso summer before last and it was only slightly above average as the only TM Top 50 place at the time. Might be going back to Ruidoso next summer so would be nice to have a new place.

My cousins live there. They say it’s new and they serve excellent bbq.  Comparable to the top places.  

On 12/4/2019 at 4:20 PM, Jerry Callo said:

That's going to be a tough gig in Granger, but I hope it works out for him.  I can't imagine he'll be able to cook and sell all of those cuts of meat Thurs-Sun.

Seems almost all of John's locations have been tough gigs.

I went to Blood Brothers for today.  It was my 3rd visit there.  This time was very disappointing.  The brisket had great bark, good flavor but was so fucking dry.  I didn't take a picture, but man...what a bummer.  Sausage was just ok too.  I took a new job so no more Pinkertons or Truth at lunch.  Sad face.

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Barbecue in and around Mansfield?  Any recs or reviews for Big D, Jambos, etc?

What do you consider "around" Mansfield? Fort Worth is killing it now. Go there.

I've also heard Hurtado in Arlington is pretty fucking awesome. Only open Fri eve and Saturday daytime.

http://hurtadobbq.com/

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

What do you consider "around" Mansfield? Fort Worth is killing it now. Go there.
I've also heard Hurtado in Arlington is pretty fucking awesome. Only open Fri eve and Saturday daytime.
http://hurtadobbq.com/
I decided you were right. Panther City Barbecue was only 25 minutes up the road.

Three meat plate - moist brisket, sparerib, jalapeno cheese sausage. Brisket was tender and seasoned well. Sausage was great. Rib was sweet and tangy, a little less pull than I like, but not overcooked.

Finally, pork belly burnt ends poppers.

648898f065e27f73194f271a0aa5edd8.jpg
  • Like 2

After the subpar lunch at Blood Bros yesterday, I needed the weekend to start with a good bbq lunch. I think Truth is the best and most consistent inside the beltway. I hate to say that because I am a big fan of Pinkerton’s (and that he is a longhorn), but the last couple of times have not been up to his usual standard. Every time I have been to Truth it has been absolutely delicious. I’m gonna stop posting about them though as I have already done so several times.

Xq3t3nmn_o.jpeg

So stopped in Texarkana for a meal at Naaman’s Championship BBQ-Had a great meal... The brisket was moist and evenly cooked, the sausage was a solid, and even the pulled pork hit the spot... No complaints on the sides either. The most unique part of the joint was certainly the sauce-it had a sweet taste to it, which I’m normally not a fan of... But I thought this version was done well.

That said-it no longer belongs in the Texas BBQ discussion, as it has moved across the street from its prior location (in a very nice building) and now has an Arkansas address.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

After the subpar lunch at Blood Bros yesterday, I needed the weekend to start with a good bbq lunch. I think Truth is the best and most consistent inside the beltway. I hate to say that because I am a big fan of Pinkerton’s (and that he is a longhorn), but the last couple of times have not been up to his usual standard. Every time I have been to Truth it has been absolutely delicious. I’m gonna stop posting about them though as I have already done so several times.

Xq3t3nmn_o.jpeg

Suggestions for newbs to avoid the line? 

14 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

In your defense, what sort of acclaimed BBQ joint wouldn’t be assumed to have good ribs?

i mean...who is going to go to one of the top Tex-Mex BBQ style places in Texas and order ribs? Valentina's isn't one of the Black-adjacent family places or part of the Mueller BBQ tree...

that said, that is one of the very few things i dislike about Valentinas, I want to be able to see what is being pulled so i can change my order if it doesn't look great. i would assume that he went on a bad day

Edited by NoName

As we all know, the true measure of a great BBQ joint is the quality of their tortillas. :)

Seriously though, I've had their brisket and tacos and they're quite good.  Never tried to order the ribs.  But Valentina's gets a lot of run on this site as a good overall BBQ place and not just a taco joint.  If that's to be true, then I'd expect the ribs to be high quality.

JMO of course, and I'll still happily go there to get tasty brisket and tacos, and continue not ordering ribs.

Edited by utee94