Texas BBQ

Washpark

Metroplex peeps — my buddy (and cook partner) is doing his final pop-up of 2019 in FW on Saturday. He’s working on opening a permanent spot on Race St. His food (Seven Acres BBQ) is legit. Go check him out. Do not miss his beef cheek tacos — if he’s doing them. (Haven’t seen a menu.)

061b343c93db679d43113a89152b1503.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Agreed - 100%.  If Valentina's ribs aren't good, they shouldn't be on the menu, Tex-Mex BBQ or not.  If it was a one off bad cook, they just shouldn't have served them.

This.

also, if ur gonna have a bbq joint in Texas, u have to at least serve the Trinity... mexican ‘cue or not

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bummed about the Buck's BBQ news.  I have a client meeting tomorrow in Houston and the out of town client insists on going to Blood Bros. BBQ tomorrow for lunch. 

This thread seems to be pretty meh about the place.  Anybody been there lately that hasn't posted about it?  Are there any sure winning items on their menu?  Thai green chile boudin sounds pretty good, but not very much like BBQ as I know it!  Thanks for any insight (or more likely, your snarky comments.)  

I come to this thread probably once a week, because it's the one thing I miss most about Texas.

There's a new joint opening up in a couple of months about 20 minutes from me that is run by a guy with some serious culinary chops, advertising "Clams, pulled pork, and 'Texas style brisket'."

I'm not hopeful, but hey, at least it made the list, right? Sigh.

Went back to Blood Brother’s for the 3rd or 4th time today. Last time was a disappointment but they redeemed themselves today.

hHFUrtU9_o.jpeg

They don’t ask you if you want moist or lean. So this time I made sure to ask for moist. Brisket was solid. I had the hot link and it was good. They also had a special togarashi sausage. It was good but I liked the hot link more.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Bummed about the Buck's BBQ news.  I have a client meeting tomorrow in Houston and the out of town client insists on going to Blood Bros. BBQ tomorrow for lunch. 

This thread seems to be pretty meh about the place.  Anybody been there lately that hasn't posted about it?  Are there any sure winning items on their menu?  Thai green chile boudin sounds pretty good, but not very much like BBQ as I know it!  Thanks for any insight (or more likely, your snarky comments.)  

Hit there around 12:30.  No line.  Was not impressed with my visit today.  Nothing was smoky.  Everything was dried out.  Hot links, black pepper links, brisket and burnt ends.  Brisket rice was OK.  Strong pickle and onion game, so they've got that going...which is nice.  Do not plan to return.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Tyler’s BBQ gets great reviews. Texas Monthly has them in the top 50 club. He cooks on mesquite which is not my favorite, I prefer the oak flavor bbq.

i get to eat all the Central Texas bbq I want so I don’t go to Tyler’s very often at all.

• Like 1

Just now, RMac5 said:

Tyler’s BBQ gets great reviews. Texas Monthly has them in the top 50 club. He cooks on mesquite which is not my favorite, I prefer the oak flavor bbq.

i get to eat all the Central Texas bbq I want so I don’t go to Tyler’s very often at all.

Tyler's is the only good place I know of in Amarillo.  Pork ribs are better than his brisket in my opinion.  

• Like 1

Not only that, I had bbq again today. This time at Micklethwait in Smithville. Pottery “meh” to be honest. Not much smoke flavor and was a bit too fatty. It was relatively cheap. 1/2 lbs of brisket, link of sausage, beans and a drink for $17.

n8UE8Lv7_o.jpeg

Man I bet your plumber loves you.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not much smoke flavor and was a bit too fatty. It was relatively cheap. 1/2 lbs of brisket, link of sausage, beans and a drink for $17.

more than once I’ve done a half pound moist at cooper’s and washed it down with about a pint of beans.  $10 + tip

Austin Culturemap with Conde Nast Traveler list of top 11 BBQ places in Austin.

• Brown’s Bar-B-Que, 1901 S. Lamar Blvd.
  • Franklin Barbecue, 900 E. 11th St.
  • Interstellar BBQ, 12233 RR 620 North, Ste. 105
  • Kerlin BBQ, 2209 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • La Barbecue, 2027 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • Leroy and Lewis Barbecue, 121 Pickle Rd.
  • Micklethwait Craft Meats, 1309 Rosewood Ave.
  • Oseyo, 628 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew, 6610 N. Lamar Blvd.
  • Terry Black’s Barbecue, 1003 Barton Springs Rd.
  • Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, 11500 Menchaca Rd.

Solid list, only one I haven't tried is Oseyo, looks like it's next up.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-22-20-conde-nast-traveler-best-top-11-bbq-barbecue-joints-in-austin/?fbclid=IwAR2JdivpeHMYzOhuRhyV__hQntFAc_X3f3QW_FrXRleCWy8xv-oxTG-Kz4o

Anyone been to the Houston BBQ festival? Lineup looks impressive. 

• Blood Bros. BBQ
  • Brett's bbq shop
  • burns original bbq
  • CorkScrew BBq
  • daddy duncan's bbq
  • eaker barbecue
  • eddie o's texas barbecue
  • El Burro & the Bull
  • Feges BBQ
  • gatlin's bbq
  • Harlem Road Texas BBQ
  • jq's tex mex bbq
  • Killen's Barbecue
  • Lenox Bar-B-Q
  • louie mueller barbecue
  • pappa charlies barbeque
  • Pinkerton's Barbecue
  • Ray's BBQ Shack
  • reveille barbecue co.
  • Roegels Barbecue Co.
  • rusty buckle bbq co.
  • Southern Q BBQ
  • southside market & bbq
  • Spring Creek Barbeque
  • Tejas Chocolate & Bbq
  • The Brisket House
  • The Pit Room
  • Tin roof bbq
  • true texas bbq
  • truth bbq

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

Austin Culturemap with Conde Nast Traveler list of top 11 BBQ places in Austin.

• Brown’s Bar-B-Que, 1901 S. Lamar Blvd.
  • Franklin Barbecue, 900 E. 11th St.
  • Interstellar BBQ, 12233 RR 620 North, Ste. 105
  • Kerlin BBQ, 2209 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • La Barbecue, 2027 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • Leroy and Lewis Barbecue, 121 Pickle Rd.
  • Micklethwait Craft Meats, 1309 Rosewood Ave.
  • Oseyo, 628 E. Cesar Chavez St.
  • Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew, 6610 N. Lamar Blvd.
  • Terry Black’s Barbecue, 1003 Barton Springs Rd.
  • Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, 11500 Menchaca Rd.

Solid list, only one I haven't tried is Oseyo, looks like it's next up.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-22-20-conde-nast-traveler-best-top-11-bbq-barbecue-joints-in-austin/?fbclid=IwAR2JdivpeHMYzOhuRhyV__hQntFAc_X3f3QW_FrXRleCWy8xv-oxTG-Kz4o

Need to try Brown's and Oseyo.  All of the others are legit.