Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 1/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Anything worth checking out in Amarillo? Will be travelling through in a couple of weeks and would love to check out something new.  

If you're going up through Lubbock, take a slight detour to Wolfforth and eat at Evie Mae's.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Need to try Brown's and Oseyo.  All of the others are legit.

I like Brown's better than several others on the list.  Definitely try it out.

I looked at the menu for Oseyo and only saw the Korean BBQ options which are typically grilled not slow-smoked.  Not sure if I just missed the actual BBQ?  Or is their inclusion as a BBQ place erroneous?

(Oseyo still looks good, I love Korean food, but not sure it's BBQ?)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess Micklethwait in Austin is much better than Smithville? Or did I just catch an off day?

never tried smithville.  in austin they can be as good as anyone when you catch them on the right day but they’re not as consistent as the tier one spots. 

• Like 1

Went and grabbed lunch at the new Southside Market in Arbor Walk. Pretty decent. Just had a sliced brisket sandwich but it was nice and tender. Could’ve used some more rub but other than that, I was pleasantly surprised. Not top tier but solid 2nd tier. It was really busy for a weekday at almost 2. It’ll probably do well. From the build out, they’ve got some money behind it.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

#flameaway 

nationals sales meeting this week and pappas bbq catered lunch one day. Damn it was about perfect. Chicken and sausage + sides. The chicken was damn perfect 

the iced tea and cucumber salad was flawless 

Yeah, uh, im not judging a bbq joint on its chicken

brisket or gtfo

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I suspect they will be in the Top 10 of the next TM Top 50

they are pretty good but they put out a lot of exotic shit that distorts perceptions.  I’ve been several times and I enjoy it but the quality of the brisket should be the baseline and it isn’t top-10-in-the-state brisket.  in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

they are pretty good but they put out a lot of exotic shit that distorts perceptions.  I’ve been several times and I enjoy it but the quality of the brisket should be the baseline and it isn’t top-10-in-the-state brisket.  in my opinion. 

You're not wrong and that's a good point (pun intended) about the brisket.  The current Top 10 all have great brisket.  Leroy & Lewis has good brisket, but it is overshadowed by the beef cheeks and barbacoa.  Overall, I think Leroy & Lewis is better than Bodacious.  I think they're on par with Tejas and Micklethwait.

• Like 1

You're not wrong and that's a good point (pun intended) about the brisket.  The current Top 10 all have great brisket.  Leroy & Lewis has good brisket, but it is overshadowed by the beef cheeks and barbacoa.  Overall, I think Leroy & Lewis is better than Bodacious.  I think they're on par with Tejas and Micklethwait.

Granted I have only been to Micklethwait in Smithville once, but this is crazy. Tejas has never been less than amazing each time I have been (10-15 times). Bodacious was good, not great for me.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Granted I have only been to Micklethwait in Smithville once, but this is crazy. Tejas has never been less than amazing each time I have been (10-15 times). Bodacious was good, not great for me.

My comment was a slight to neither Micklethwait nor Tejas.  To the contrary, they are quite possibly my two favorite barbecue joints in the state because their menu is great and inventive from the proteins through the sides.  My experience with Leroy & Lewis has been quite similar.

Edited by Jerry Callo

Has anyone been to one of the Khoi BBQ popups in Houston? Looks like these guys are doing some interesting Asian/Texas BBQ fusion. Stuff like Brisket Pho, Beef Rib Hand Rolls..etc. 

As far as I can tell they only serve once or twice a month, usually at Baileson Brewing off Kirby/Bissonnet.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/khoi-expanding-boundaries-barbecue/

On 1/25/2020 at 10:14 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Leroy & Lewis today. Brisket, whole hog, and barbacoa, chicken & dumplings, refried beans, kale Caesar slaw, and cheddar cheesecake.

Everything was great. My favorite was the barbacoa and my daughter's was the pulled pork.

I suspect they will be in the Top 10 of the next TM Top 50.e5a556604908d6c6bbc75b94377e5c1d.jpg

Sorry.  This is the BBQ thread.  Wait, maybe I see some.

• Like 1

Goldee's Barbecue announced their opening date of Feb 15th a couple of days ago

couple of links to article about them when they announced it:

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2019/03/goldees-barbecue-will-soon-call-fort-worth-home/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/tarrant-county/childhood-friends-return-to-dfw-area-to-open-goldees-bbq/287-aceedd67-a387-428d-ae05-115493428c8d

They are located at 4645 Dick Price Road Fort Worth, Texas - kind of south of 820 and 20? maybe like 20ish min from downtown FW? 

they are legit, looking forward to the opening and hitting them up when i am in town for Opening Day

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Goldee's Barbecue announced their opening date of Feb 15th a couple of days ago

couple of links to article about them when they announced it:

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2019/03/goldees-barbecue-will-soon-call-fort-worth-home/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/tarrant-county/childhood-friends-return-to-dfw-area-to-open-goldees-bbq/287-aceedd67-a387-428d-ae05-115493428c8d

They are located at 4645 Dick Price Road Fort Worth, Texas - kind of south of 820 and 20? maybe like 20ish min from downtown FW? 

they are legit, looking forward to the opening and hitting them up when i am in town for Opening Day

That’s BBQ.