Texas BBQ

Washpark

Well Salt Lick is still garbage. Even worse than i remember from 7-8 years ago. Ate less than half.

Valentina's Real Deal Holyfield with brisket and the ultimate bean & cheese with pulled pork more than made up for it this morning. Holy shit those breakfast tacos are legit amazing. Drive back to Houston should be enjoyable for my family after that.

For you Houston folk, this may be relevant to your interests. I'm doing a pop-up at Wooster's Garden on February 9th from 3:00 to 8:00 pm. I'm doing the proteins, my buddy Brandon Silva is doing the sides. The menu will be limited to one meat or two meat plates, each with two sides. We'll also be offering the grilled cheese and brisket sammich that Daniel Vaughn was so fond of. Brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs. I think Brandon is going to have five sides available.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

City Barbecue in Durham, North Carolina. Oh my God. Real no-sauce-needed brisket like God intended. My wandering the pulled-pork wasteland is over. This place is better than a good many Texas Monthly Top 50 joints. It's hell and gone better than anything in College Station.

20200202_141310.jpg

raw

At least five of the TM Top 50 have closed in the less than three years since the article:  Blue Moon BBQ, Top 5 BBQ, Rio Grande Grill BBQ, The Granary 'Cue & Brew, and Freedmen's.  Of course, there are more than enough worthy places on the TM New 25 to fill the void.  Of the few new places I've tried, these will certainly make the next list:  LeRoy & Lewis, Panther City BBQ, and Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue.

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

has the future of that building been determined yet?

Last I read, it the building was supposed to remain with the development wrapping around it.  The owner of the barbecue joint had plans to reopen after construction, but I'd be surprised if that happens.  

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Tejas Burger Joint in Tomball is legit. Burgers are smoked, so it marginally fits the category.

After awesome burger and onion rings, stopped by Tejas and picked up a pound of moist brisket, two chilie relleno links, and four servings of carrot souffle for dinner tonight.

I thought the smokehouse burger was good, but everything was too expensive there. Also, fries sucked on my visit. Will re-try, but $15 for burger and fries is hilarious for tomball

4 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Has anybody tried San Marcos BBQ?

My cousin swears by their sausage, but I'm wondering if he's thinking of Hays County which used to be on Hunter Rd.

I haven't been to either place despite living in Kyle.

I actually prefer San Marcos BBQ to Hays County, which I thought was pretty blah.  Their cobbler is on point as well.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:01 PM, HRSchenker said:

Is John Mueller still smoking out of that brewery?

Stopped out there on Saturday.  Half pound of moist brisket, half pound of pork ribs, and cheesy squash.  Squash was good.  Moist brisket gave a new meaning to burnt ends with quite a bit of petrified bark.  A cook with any pride would not have served that brisket.  Prior to this trip, I have never had a bad meal prepared by John Mueller (going back to the Manor Road days).  There are too many good barbecue joints out there now to waste time and money with a cook whose give a shitter is broke.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 1:29 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

City Barbecue in Durham, North Carolina. Oh my God. Real no-sauce-needed brisket like God intended. My wandering the pulled-pork wasteland is over. This place is better than a good many Texas Monthly Top 50 joints. It's hell and gone better than anything in College Station.

20200202_141310.jpg

Why do you have burnt hot dogs on your plate?

2 minutes ago, huge said:

Buddy of mine went to Truth on Washington today and said it was the best BBQ meal he has had in Houston.  He is one that tends towards hyperbole often but I am going to have to investigate further.

Prepare to be flamed. Good luck my friend. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Buddy of mine who has been everywhere and is likely opening his own place at some point said it's pretty good. He said the brisket is great like the article says. The ribs in online pictures look pretty shitty.

Buddy of mine went to Truth on Washington today and said it was the best BBQ meal he has had in Houston.  He is one that tends towards hyperbole often but I am going to have to investigate further.

Prepare to be flamed. Good luck my friend. 

Why?

I have been to their brenham location 3 times and Houston location about 12 times. Only once did I have a subpar meal (brisket was way too salty). All the other times have been amazing bbq meals. I put them up there with Tejas as the best in the Houston area. I loved Pinkertons, but the last two times I went were bad. One was so bad I couldn’t finish. Don’t get me wrong, I have had some amazing meals at Pinkertons and will give them more opportunities, but folks who think Truth isn’t great bbq are full of shit.

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Why?

I have been to their brenham location 3 times and Houston location about 12 times. Only once did I have a subpar meal (brisket was way too salty). All the other times have been amazing bbq meals. I put them up there with Tejas as the best in the Houston area. I loved Pinkertons, but the last two times I went were bad. One was so bad I couldn’t finish. Don’t get me wrong, I have had some amazing meals at Pinkertons and will give them more opportunities, but folks who think Truth isn’t great bbq are full of shit.

i've only been once, here in houston, and everything was over.  probably because it was getting late in the day.  you couldn't pick up a pork rib - it just fell apart.  brisket was similar.  flavor was good.  not a fan of the price for bread.  got charged for a whole loaf (it was maybe half of one) which appeared to be $8.50 (i wasn't paying so don't have the receipt).  think i'd rather go to pit room again.

• Like 1

i've only been once, here in houston, and everything was over.  probably because it was getting late in the day.  you couldn't pick up a pork rib - it just fell apart.  brisket was similar.  flavor was good.  not a fan of the price for bread.  got charged for a whole loaf (it was maybe half of one) which appeared to be $8.50 (i wasn't paying so don't have the receipt).  think i'd rather go to pit room again.

If I want some tacos sure. But for brisket and sausage? Absolutely not.

For half a lbs of brisket and sausage the price is about the same as any of these places these days. I have never seen cutters inspect the meat they are serving as much as I have seen at Truth. They aren’t afraid to throw out anything out rather than serve it. I wish the last couple of times at Pinkerton’s his cutters would have done that.

Truth from a few visits ago:

UvquMVY3_o.jpeg

I am not going to argue about it. Especially if folks just have a preference or are there once. I just figured the hate was some Surly bullshit. Kind of like the group of people who didn’t like Pinkertons on the old site because his family helped him to get his place open. That was fucking hilarious. Somehow a couple of cooks taking investors money is more forgivable than borrowing money from a supportive family.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The sausage is good. Maybe not the best but pretty damn good. They added a pepper jack cheese sausage that is also really good. No one can touch Tejas’ chili relleno sausage though.

Wasn’t suggesting it wasn’t good, just looks a bit runny ;)

17 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

I’m thinking of heading over there tomorrow for lunch. Let me know if you want to meet up and we can throw out a joint review.

They dont have a bar or TVs.

That disqualifies them from my Friday lunch rotation.