Texas BBQ

Washpark

12 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

Interstellar throwing a 1-year anniversary party Sunday. Free beer and cooking wagyu brisket for the occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks for the heads-up, I'll definitely add that to Sunday's plan.

39 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Just so happens that I'll be picking up 20 pounds of crawfish across the street from Stuffed on Sunday - that's kismet right there.

And it just so happens that I'll be following @Jerry Callo to wherever he's headed thereafter. :)

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 11:10 PM, elfenix said:

not a fan of the price for bread.  got charged for a whole loaf (it was maybe half of one) which appeared to be $8.50

who the fuck charges for bread?  was it artisanal bread made in-house?  if it was sliced white bread in a bag that place can suck a fart out of my ass. 

Edited by futureman

On 2/19/2020 at 2:29 PM, huge said:

Buddy of mine went to Truth on Washington today and said it was the best BBQ meal he has had in Houston.  He is one that tends towards hyperbole often but I am going to have to investigate further.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:37 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I have been to their brenham location 3 times and Houston location about 12 times. Only once did I have a subpar meal (brisket was way too salty). All the other times have been amazing bbq meals. . . . folks who think Truth isn’t great bbq are full of shit.

This has been my experience as well. I've been a few times since moving down the street. It's been damn good every time. There are arguments that Tejas, Corkscrew, or Pinkerton's is better, but you're getting damn good barbecue at any of those places. During my first trip, I saw one of the slicers pull out a brisket, slice it, inspect it, and discard it because it wasn't up to snuff. They care about putting out a quality product, and it shows. Really don't get the hate. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Looks like the category is now Best Chef:  Texas.  When Aaron Franklin won in 2015 it was Best Chef:  Southwest.

Vera's Backyard Bar-b-que was named a JB American Classic last week as well.  That's what Bobby Mueller won in 2006 which I believe was the first barbecue joint to win a JB award.

Good luck to both Tootsie and Ramos, although it's tough not to want Tootsie to win.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Looks like the category is now Best Chef:  Texas.  When Aaron Franklin won in 2015 it was Best Chef:  Southwest.

Vera's Backyard Bar-b-que was named a JB American Classic last week as well.  That's what Bobby Mueller won in 2006 which I believe was the first barbecue joint to win a JB award.

Good luck to both Tootsie and Ramos, although it's tough not to want Tootsie to win.

Yeah, we big enough and bad enough to have our competition like New York and California

16 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

She cooks one day a week. She definitely shouldnt win

the biggest shame about that list is not having Philip Speer on there for Comedor

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just saw that Micklethwait in Smithville closed. From my one visit, that doesn’t surprise me. Place was empty and bbq was not much to talk about. I still need to try the Austin location.

Micklethwait in Austin has been my favorite Austin barbecue joint.  LeRoy and Lewis is the only one, for me, that might knock Micklethwait down a notch.  

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just saw that Micklethwait in Smithville closed. From my one visit, that doesn’t surprise me. Place was empty and bbq was not much to talk about. I still need to try the Austin location.

That was fast. I always thought that was an odd place to put it

2 hours ago, Paco said:
15 hours ago, AustinMT said:
It’s too far to drive from Austin or Houston, so the only reason you’d stop if you were driving between the two

Um...ok.

Let me re-phrase -- for me, it's not worth driving there for that barbecue when you can get as good, or better, without having to make a hour-ish drive from downtown Austin.