Texas BBQ

Washpark

49 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
51 minutes ago, AustinMT said:
I think it’s where “PDQ” chicken was — near Costco 

No. That's going to be the fried chicken place - 22 Tumble.

Duh — that’s right. I knew I saw a sign for a place I liked, but was confused as to which one.  Both will be great to have up there

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

No. That's going to be the fried chicken place - 22 Tumble.

not the fried chicken thread but I must say that I went to tumble 22 on burnet and it was fucking excellent.  had pieces and a sandwich and it was all delicious.  much better than that lucy's bullshit.  

• Like 1

Had Truth -Washington for the first time yesterday.

Waited an hour but everything was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, if I am not there at 10:50-11am for lunch, then I go eat something else.

But I am sure someone on here will blame truth for long line or the fact that bumblefuck idiots can’t figure out what they want before they get to the counter.

Last weekend I was in Asheville, NC and made my way to what was supposed to be the best brisket in town. Valiant effort, but no. Franklyn, La Barbecue, Micklethwait, and Leroy & Lewis are the four horsemen of the BBQ apocalypse.

22 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Has anyone eaten at Jaspers in Waco? I'm just a half a mile away and in the mood for que.  Online reviews look good, but that doesn't always mean. a lot.

Helberg isn't open until Wed - go there if you are still in town...

https://www.helbergbarbecue.com/locations

Guess & Honky Tonk Kid are both closed closed Mon/Tue as well

Can't speak to Jasper's specifically, but Helberg is worth the trip in case anyone is curious

34 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Jaspers is marginal at best, IMO.

Decided to give it a try today.  Wasn't bad at all.  The brisket had a good smoke flavor although the seasoning was inconsistent. A couple of bites were so salty they were barely edible.  The one thing that irritated me (my own fault) was I wasn't watching the cutter, and did not notice until I got back to the job site, but the asshole cut the brisket with the grain.  Might try them again, might not.

Decided to give it a try today.  Wasn't bad at all.  The brisket had a good smoke flavor although the seasoning was inconsistent. A couple of bites were so salty they were barely edible.  The one thing that irritated me (my own fault) was I wasn't watching the cutter, and did not notice until I got back to the job site, but the asshole cut the brisket with the grain.  Might try them again, might not.

Cutting with the grain is inexcusable today.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

None of your description add up to this.

• Haha 1

Hard 8 in Burleson. Have been to the one in Stephenville and always enjoyed it.24ee6f51690c540f0bad21bc7fd0c9ae.png

I had a horrible experience at Hard 8. The cutter peeled all of the bark from a whole brisket right in front of me before slicing.

I just ordered some jalapeño poppers at that point. They were okay.

He probably did his apprenticeship at Rudy’s, drives me insane when they do shit like that.

I had that very discussion with John at Interstellar last time I was there. He offered me the outside cut which led to an extended discussion on the idiocy of some cutters and the customers that think that’s good brisket.

It was good enough to stop at if passing through, but not a destination unless you want to combine it with another stop or two.  Brisket (moist) was very good.  Ribs were fine.  Sausage (chipotle cheddar) was good but maybe the smallest links I have ever seen, and a tad dry.  Sides (beans and green Chile Mac) were good, but not spectacular.  Only real disappointment was pulled pork, but frankly there aren’t that many places I’ve found that make really good pulled pork.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I mean, I’m a native Texan and all about beef, but I do appreciate good pulled pork.

Overall:  yes, will go back when going through that area. Will try Helberg next time.  

Service is much like Miller’s in Belton — order, they give you a number and bring it out to the table.

It was good enough to stop at if passing through, but not a destination unless you want to combine it with another stop or two.  Brisket (moist) was very good.  Ribs were fine.  Sausage (chipotle cheddar) was good but maybe the smallest links I have ever seen, and a tad dry.  Sides (beans and green Chile Mac) were good, but not spectacular.  Only real disappointment was pulled pork, but frankly there aren’t that many places I’ve found that make really good pulled pork.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I mean, I’m a native Texan and all about beef, but I do appreciate good pulled pork.
Overall:  yes, will go back when going through that area. Will try Helberg next time.  
Service is much like Miller’s in Belton — order, they give you a number and bring it out to the table.

Pulled pork at Truth is outstanding