Texas BBQ

Washpark

I had take out from Truth today. Their system isn’t as smooth as Tejas, but goddamn it was great. Been doing my part to keep these places open during the Corona. Tejas burger joint, Tejas bbq x 2, truth. Next up...maybe Pinkerton’s? Used to be a favorite of mine until the last two visits. Time for redemption.

When you are out there, be sure to pronounce it Mar-a-thin.  It's crazy, but that's how they pronounce it.  A waitress told me it started because the old farts don't want their toothpicks to fall out of their mouths while they talk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Picked up some bbq from Leroy and Lewis. Beef cheeks, citra hop sausage and some venison and bacon sausage. Everything was outstanding.

That is all so good.

The beef cheek though, is just otherworldly.  So damn good.

Leroy and Lewis has a Patreon page.  They are supposed to be posting one video a week for the Patreons.  First video is about rendering beef fat.  Second is about cooking barbacoa.  $30 per month, cancel anytime.  If I could cook barbacoa anything like they do, it is worth at least $30.

• Like 2

Steers?
ETA:  If I remember correctly, he uses Prime CAB from various sources.

Isn’t CAB its own brand/grade? That is, it’s not a USDA grade but a marketing gimmick to sell choice at a higher price?

I seem to remember reading that once.
  • Like 1

Has anyone done Franklin since takeout only? It looks like you can order for the following day starting at 10:30am. Just wondering how quickly it sells out. 

My neighbors have done it twice and I’ve did an order yesterday for pickup first thing Tuesday. You can now do it 3 days ahead. I think the first couple pickup times are easy but by noon it gets pretty backed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/31/2020 at 8:55 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

If I didn’t have kids to take care of, I would move to marathon right fucking now and become a desert weirdo you see walking along the highway on your way to big bend. And apparently I would be well fed. Goddamn life choices.

"Won't you be my neighbor"?

Damn that sounds good these days.

• Like 1

Sent office manager over to Pinkerton’s to pick up lunch at office today.  BBQ for 6.  Haven’t had q in weeks.   Looking forward to knocking the rest of the day of the tracks with a gut anchor.   

Afterward, I’ll be in the ICU getting the blood mud thinned out. 

• Like 1

Finally tried Guess Family bbq 2 weeks ago.  If I had just had a brisket plate it would have rated 9/10, HOWEVER.

I just had to get the 3 meat plate with the garlic sausage and baby back ribs.  The ribs were so overcooked, tough and dry they weren't even chewable.  The flavor/seasoning was non-existent.  The sausage while flavorful was also so tough and chewy it was all thrown out except for 2 bites.

The brisket though was about the best I've ever had, as I'm hard pressed to remember when I've had better. Next time I will order a 3 meat plate with a triple portion of the brisket.

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

why order plates?  just get 2 lbs of brisket and call it a day. 

Meh, preferences, how do they work?

I always enjoy GOOD sides so I had to try them out.  The beans and potato salad were damned good so I'll be doing them again.