Texas BBQ

Washpark

Lots of fat, gristle and connective tissue, or so it seemed. Only prepped them one time and I’m sure it gets easier with more experience.  It took me forever and when I was done I had small chunks of meat. They tasted damn good and the family really enjoyed them, just wasn’t worth the yield to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Lots of fat, gristle and connective tissue, or so it seemed. Only prepped them one time and I’m sure it gets easier with more experience.  It took me forever and when I was done I had small chunks of meat. They tasted damn good and the family really enjoyed them, just wasn’t worth the yield to me. 

Where did you buy from ?

you need a better butcher 

• Like 1

True that! They were from Wal Mart. They have great briskets and I saw them while buying a bunch of briskets. 
I have a great local processor that I buy steaks and stuff from, need to hit him up for beef cheeks. He has great hangar steaks and hard to find cuts.

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tried out 2 Guys 1 Pit on Spring Cypress today. Pretty good spot. Not top tier but definitely better than Rudy’s. I wish they offered a 1/4 lb. Of sausage because 1/2 lb. Is too much.

1QOUSAtX_o.jpeg

We picked up from there two months ago and it was pretty damn solid. 

Not sure why I struggle so strenuously over the Ekrich/ Hillshire Farms type links at an alleged legit 'Cue House.

Why the fuck can't everyone, at least in Texas; make great sausage like this?

kreuz-original-sausage-01-1.jpg

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Not sure why I struggle so strenuously over the Ekrich/ Hillshire Farms type links at an alleged legit 'Cue House.

You're supposed to mention where it's from.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Hot guts are becoming a lost art.

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tried out 2 Guys 1 Pit on Spring Cypress today. Pretty good spot. Not top tier but definitely better than Rudy’s. I wish they offered a 1/4 lb. Of sausage because 1/2 lb. Is too much.

1QOUSAtX_o.jpeg

It doesn't look better.  Sausage seems like it sucks.

• Like 1

Sausage sucks at most places it seems like. The good stuff is really damn good though.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Agreed

Tejas chile relleno

Truth Pepper Jack (they sometimes have a good hot guts on the menu)

2M serrano and Oaxaca cheese

Those are some great sausages. At least that is what futureman’s mom told me.

Add Interstellar Frito Pie sausage and Jalapeno Popper sausage

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

This probably goes in the unpopular opinions thread, but I;m not a fan of the trend to put cheese in sausage.  I like cheese.  I like sausage.  I do not like them as a pairing. 

I like cheese in sausage. What I don't like is when it gets overcooked, and just runs everywhere

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

This probably goes in the unpopular opinions thread, but I;m not a fan of the trend to put cheese in sausage.  I like cheese.  I like sausage.  I do not like them as a pairing. 

I can respect this opinion 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Same here. Cheese (cheddar!!) in Czech style sausage is a relatively recent thing. The Czechs in west Fort Bend County would have laughed out loud if someone wanted cheese in their sausage circa 1980.

anyone else's BBQ source raising prices?

Well, I guess mine did not raise prices, but I have gone every week for the past 9 weeks and ordered 1/2 a pound of brisket, sliced.  $14.02

Today i go and order and they say they are no longer selling by the pound/ half pound but only in meals( like a 2 meat plate) and sammiches.  Said their cost went up 300% on brisket.

I am not bemoaning the policy or bitching one iota.  Just describing it and asking if anyone else has seen it.

26 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Well, I guess mine did not raise prices, but I have gone every week for the past 9 weeks and ordered 1/2 a pound of brisket, sliced.  $14.02

Today i go and order and they say they are no longer selling by the pound/ half pound but only in meals( like a 2 meat plate) and sammiches.  Said their cost went up 300% on brisket.

I am not bemoaning the policy or bitching one iota.  Just describing it and asking if anyone else has seen it.

What place?

On 3/27/2018 at 10:23 AM, hornfan785 said:

Truth. I live nearby and go there once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's my favorite place to go these days for BBQ. Brisket tacos are delicious and The Real Deal Holyfield breakfast taco is amazing. I'd recommend going during the week if you can because the lines during the weekend get pretty long and the line can move kind of slowly. Plus, it's a good choice for dinner since they're usually open until 8 or 9pm.

Concur on the Holyfield.  Ate breakfast there when I was doing the Top 50 tour just for change of pace.  Thought it was memorable.

Franklins was my favorite, but the wait is a pain in the ass. Micklewaite was really good.  

Was pleasantly surprised by Houston.  Liked most of them, my favorite might have been Killens down in Pearland.  Liked the Tenas Chocolate Craftory too. Corkscrew was closed on me twice (fuckers) but was good when I finally caught them open.

Cattleack & Pecan Lodge were my two favorites in Dallas.  Went early on Tuesday am to avoid Cattleack clusterfuck.  Beef rib at PL was memorable.  Hutchins in McKinney was pretty good

Bodacious in Longview has great brisket.

Evie Maes in Wolfforth was the best in West Texas & The Smoking Oak in Mercedes was my favorite in the Valley.

the Granary in SA deserves a mention imo.

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Don’t care. I’m pro cheese in sausage.

I'm with you and really don't give a shit about purist, I eat what taste good to me

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/where-have-all-briskets-gone/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

They are permanently closed.

2M Smokehouse in SA is head and shoulders better than the Granary.

Liked the food at 2M, but it was hotter than hell with flies everywhere.  One of the few disappointments on my trips.  The Granary seemed like a lunch only kind of place.

Edited by cochamps

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz. I’m good with that. I’ll let the folks at Tejas, Valentina’s, 2M, Truth, Leroy and Lewis etc that futureman doesn’t condone their food or opinions on bbq. Thanks dude!

tumblr_neq2u8dbD61r5hb9jo9_250.gifv

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That brisket looks pretty amazing. Begged twenty times for sausage with cheese!

Everything they do is solid, down to the smoked scalloped potatoes.  Their Frito Pie sausage is outstanding; unfortunately they were out today

• Like 1